TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

Really enjoying this round but it's showing up the limits of my Nimh batteries.

Last round I could get almost 3 clear 5 minute attempts on one battery.

This one, I'm lucky to finish my second attempt, with a really noticeable lack of speed by the end of the first attempt.

Might have to change to Lipo earlier than I planned!

• Like 2

I'm gonna give this a go tomorrow, pretty sure I can fit it in the back garden (AstroTurf) 

• Like 1

@TurnipJF Google Forms was so ridiculously EASY. Even an Old Fart like me can figure it out!! 😜 

After some near Stock tweaking, I gave my FF-03 Pro it's second run earlier....  It. Was. Phenomenal!!! I know it's really early, but I slaughtered my other Cars so badly - I just HAD to post it now. 😉😁 

I MAY try again, but everything just working Right on this go... Who knows, after the rest of you go - mine might not look as good. But I was proud of it. 😊

• Like 3

I just gave the new track a go. Really enjoyed it! It has quite a nice rhythm, finding a good line to open up the next corner feels more critical than some of the other tracks.

I’ve made a couple of tweaks to the TT02 to try and improve turning circle & rotation for these tight lockdown circuits, think it’s helping a bit. Clocked two lap counts this evening - looking forward to another go!

• Like 3

Oh - and after c. 15 minutes of running, my torque tuned motor was well over 70 deg C (was still over 70 after I'd saved the lap times, walked into garage, got the body off etc). Air temp was 6 degrees and I barely reached full throttle, although was braking a fair bit. Is that kind of temperate to be expected even when just running kit motor / kit gearing? I do have a motor fan installed (which was turned off yesterday), which I initially thought was a bit ridiculous / overkill for my basic setup. But last summer it seemed to take the peak surface temperature of the motor can down from c. 80 deg to <40 deg, which seemed like a sensible thing to be doing.

I've tried this weekend to run on the track of March.  Very very hard to négociate the Start corner. I always need to take the green track, if i'm close to the red track, i'm out of understeer for the next corner. 

IMG_9125.thumb.jpg.f6d949ebb9e44fb32de82b6d386b3410.jpg

I've tried to put more toe in ( too much ) on my Peugeot 206 WRC,  and that worst ( maybe too much ). I need to get back to original settings from manual next.

What is solution to get more steering on my TA03FS ?   The car start to steer correctly when i brake.

I run with slick on tarmac, i don't know what kind of tires do you use ?

Front and Rear Ball Diff are installed. 

After that, i need to restore my damper. I've got  HopUp spring (53333) and Stabilizer Set (53276) with  Red at front ( Spring and Torsion Bar ) and Yellow at Rear ( Spring and Torsion Bar).

About Oil, no idea.  What i need to put ? 

Thanks in advance. 

Charles

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Charles M said:

I've tried this weekend to run on the track of March.  Very very hard to négociate the Start corner. I always need to take the green track, if i'm close to the red track, i'm out of understeer for the next corner. 

I've tried to put more toe in ( too much ) on my Peugeot 206 WRC,  and that worst ( maybe too much ). I need to get back to original settings from manual next.

What is solution to get more steering on my TA03FS ?   The car start to steer correctly when i brake.

I run with slick on tarmac, i don't know what kind of tires do you use ?

I also need to take a wide entry to that far corner to line up the subsequent chicane. And my car rotates more under braking too.

I’m a total beginner - but soft springs = more grip for me, and I think toe out helps with initial turn in (not toe in). I use slicks on tarmac too. The blocks on the left in your photo might not be helping your grip for the tight section?

Looks like you’re missing a corner in your track layout too btw!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 3/15/2021 at 9:27 PM, ryback said:

Looks like you’re missing a corner in your track layout too btw!

:o Totally ! Thanks for the notice. Can be more useful to get the right design.  I will need more grip to turn now ...

A lovely sunny and dry afternoon, and an early end to my shift, so what better to do than take my freshly re-shelled F103 out for an attempt at Round 9?

2021-03-17_04-28-18

Gotta love an F103 on fresh clean tarmac!

• Like 3

On 3/17/2021 at 9:30 AM, TurnipJF said:

A lovely sunny and dry afternoon, and an early end to my shift, so what better to do than take my freshly re-shelled F103 out for an attempt at Round 9?

2021-03-17_04-28-18

I'm SURE this did well !! 😁

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 4:19 PM, Charles M said:

What is solution to get more steering on my TA03FS ?   The car start to steer correctly when I brake?

Thanks in advance. 

Charles

What most People don't understand is.... on AWD and FWD Cars - they NEED a small amount of Toe OUT. Only RWD Cars should have Toe in! 

Your Car straightens out on Braking, because centrifugal forces are pulling the Front Wheels towards Toe Out. 

If you set Toe in as an adjustment, when you accelerate - you're pulling the Front Wheels farther IN. This causes Understeer more than anything else!! 😲 

I set my FF-03 with 1-1.5 degrees Toe Out, and the Cornering Grip is amazing! My TT-02 was set at 2 Degrees Toe Out Front, and 2 degrees Toe In in the Rear.... My AWD Cars seem to like that best. 😉

10 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

I'm SURE this did well !! 😁

It felt good, and went exactly where I told it to, but I have had my high hopes for a podium finish crushed by the likes of @jupitertwo and @ryback in previous rounds, so this time I'll remember not to "count my money at the table" as Adam Savage says. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

It felt good, and went exactly where I told it to, but I have had my high hopes for a podium finish crushed by the likes of @jupitertwo and @ryback in previous rounds, so this time I'll remember not to "count my money at the table" as Adam Savage says. :D

That clean tarmac, those foam tyres, and then your description of the car's handling, I'm also convinced it went like a demon!

Sadly my own escapades have been less fruitful. A combination of change of location, work, childcare and an unexpected lack of motivation where RC is concerned has meant apart from one run when we confirmed the track, I've not been able to get out. I did have the gear in the car a couple of weekends ago, but managed to find every excuse not to run as I drove round to the usual haunts.

@Carmine A nice tips, I'll look to give those a try. All my setup till now has been stock setup, which hopefully hasn't moved since I built them.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Sage advice Mate!! 😉 

I THINK I did well, but I'm not willing to bet the Farm on a win. 😜 I'm just hoping for a Top 10 finish. There's quite a bit of SKILL that's snuck into your plucky little Challenge!!! 😲

I'm just not taking anything for granted. I'm HOPING I can get out to the parking lot at least one more time before the deadline.

On 3/17/2021 at 4:30 PM, TurnipJF said:

2021-03-17_04-28-18

Car looks great! This has inspired me to try and get my F1 out for this round. I've not previously managed to beat the lap count of my TT02 though! (Frustratingly stuck on X laps in 5:01 with that btw - so close to the extra lap, but not sure I'm gonna be able to get there).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryback said:

This has inspired me to try and get my F1 out for this round. I've not previously managed to beat the lap count of my TT02 though! 

Well that didn’t go so well...looking like being the biggest lap time delta for my F1 vs TT02 so far.

It’ll be interesting to see how @TurnipJF’s F1 lap count compares. Maybe I need to look at F1 setup a bit more, no clue what I’m doing really (and am running on effectively unswept road). Lack of rear traction on power is the main issue I think. Probably common for RWD (?), but this is ridiculous - feel like I’m tip toeing round!

Those pesky Tuscan Raiders took out my motor.

I've put proper metal bearings in the dt03 which had obviously had a marked improvement on run times and top speed but back to back batteries wasted my motor.

As luck would have it, I've just bought a TT02 so the motor from there has been donated to the DT03 and a new faster motor bought for the TT02. 

5 hours ago, Jonny Eff said:

Those pesky Tuscan Raiders took out my motor.

I've put proper metal bearings in the dt03 which had obviously had a marked improvement on run times and top speed but back to back batteries wasted my motor.

As luck would have it, I've just bought a TT02 so the motor from there has been donated to the DT03 and a new faster motor bought for the TT02. 

That's the spirit! Every breakage has the silver lining of being an opportunity to upgrade.

• Like 1

well i finally got a chance to get a try, just a quick practice and a couple of runs , found it quite hard given my limitations, hard to keep changing direction so quickly for me but I'll put in what I managed !!:lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nicksincrc said:

well i finally got a chance to get a try, just a quick practice and a couple of runs , found it quite hard given my limitations, hard to keep changing direction so quickly for me but I'll put in what I managed !!:lol:

All entries are welcome! Also, please feel free to suggest a track layout more compatible with your needs if you wish. Everyone is welcome to suggest a layout no matter where they place in the round. 

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

All entries are welcome! Also, please feel free to suggest a track layout more compatible with your needs if you wish. Everyone is welcome to suggest a layout no matter where they place in the round. 

No worries ,happy to attempt what comes equally badly :lol:

Great day, after remake on my TA03FS last week :

• Setup steering as asked on the Manual ( too much Toe-In effectively ) 
  • Oil : 800 at front and 400 at rear,
  • Spring : Medium at front  & Soft at Rear (without precharge)

That much better sensation to drive on the March Track.  I've just post my result. 

I need to find other tire and maybe adjust, ball diff, and transmission (bigger motor gear) 

Fichier_009.thumb.jpeg.68bef0dc41b0abf1c18200d0d0e9bb0e.jpeg

And I've tried to run the Mini on M01 Chassis today ( a friend given a broken one). Very funny to drive. Still update the TA03FS, but M01 is design for this kind of track. 

Fichier_000.thumb.jpeg.218b2adc3c21a429904c16dc1ad32d7f.jpeg

And that was Round 9! I'll get the results collated and posted this evening after work. Thanks to all who entered 👍

• Like 2

That caught up quickly!! I didn't give myself a chance to run more... 😞  I'll have to watch that. 

Good Luck everyone!!

• Sad 1