TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

Name: Laps: Car: Motor: Battery: Surface: Other factors? Weight: Best lap:
Carmine A 58 FF-03 Pro Civic 17t Reedy 3S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.   5.24s
TurnipJF 47 F103 M-body 21.5t Turnigy 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
Charles Merlen 45 Peugeot 206 - TA03FS GT-Tune 27T 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Not clean, dusty 1605g 5.10s
TurnipJF 45 TT-02 Type S Race Blob 13.5t Bluebottle 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
ryback 44 TT-02 Type S 25t Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
TurnipJF 43 M-08 Mazda MX-5 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
jupitertwo 42 TB05 Mercedes AMG GT3 Tamiya TBLM02S 15.5t 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1414g 6.42s
ryback 38 F104 Pro II 27t silver can 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
Ministrone 35 Tamiya Mini Cooper M-01 540 Silver Can 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1168g  
T.Button 34 M-03 Mini Cooper 27t Silver Can 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
T.Button 32 TL-01 Skyline GTR 27t SIlver can 7.2V NiMH Tarmac It was sandy.    
Mrs Turnip 32 Rising Fighter 27t Etronix 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
Jonny Eff 31 Racing Fighter 25t Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Grass No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
nicksincrc 28 xv01 lancia delta 27t silver can 7.2V NiMH Tarmac rough    
TurnipJF 27 G6-01 ATDV 25t Torque Tuned 2S LiPo Tarmac It was damp.    
Ministrone 26 Tamiya Fast Attack Vehicle Tamiya Sport Tuned 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1541g  

Congratulations @Carmine A! Yours is the honour of picking the Round 10 track. Let's see everyone's suggestions!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Holy CRAP!!! That was unexpected! 😳😳  I knew the FF-03 was considerably faster than my others, I just didn't expect that. 

Congrats to ALL of you!! 🎉🎉🎉 🏆🏆 

And everyone thank @TurnipJF - for giving us this CURE for Covid INSANITY!!

• Like 2

Congratulations @Carmine A.

I’m pretty pleased with that. My beaten up old M01 chassis Mini performed quite well. Again!
My FAV was a real handful though. I had  huge under steer on the tighter corners so I knew it would be slow.

• Thanks 1

Great laps everyone, especially @Carmine A! That’s a stupendous lap count! Your average lap would be about 2s a lap quicker than mine :D I might give it a few weeks before I try out for nationals now :D Congrats on the win! :)

what sort of track awaits us next? 

• Thanks 1

Darn, I missed the deadline! I was sure it was the end of March!

Bad month for rc for me, too much work and too little good weather, so I didn't  manage to get much driving time in on round nine. Off the record, I  would have ended up just behind ministrone's M-01. 

Congrats to everyone, especially to @Carmine A! That is an amazing lap count!

Looking forward to round ten, this time I'll set an alarm for the deadline!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Great laps everyone, especially @Carmine A! That’s a stupendous lap count! Your average lap would be about 2s a lap quicker than mine :D I might give it a few weeks before I try out for nationals now :D Congrats on the win! :)

image.png.0e9d67505a1f4b9183a8936d46ade14f.png

But i think the 3S Lipo can provide lot of power for the 17T Brushed motor.  ( +50% of Power Voltage ) But on this small track, all is about finger dexterity ;-) 

Congrats to all ! As for Olympics, the best way is to participate ;-)  

@TurnipJF, we don't have the best lap on the dashboard ? The Google Form help you finally ? 

Happy to run, to update my chassis and improve my steering with these sessions. 

• Haha 1

Mind blown by the insane 58 lap count! Congrats.

I get the feeling that more power would hinder rather than help me...

Good to see a tight TT02 Type S battle with @TurnipJF in similar machinery, but it's back to the drawing board for me for my F1 car. It's WAY off the pace! Suspect replacing the kit tyres would be a good start. Other than that, possibly trying different rake angles and diff settings.

• Thanks 1

didn't realise it was yesterday :wacko: sent you it but no worries if it's too late , did it a few days ago too!!

On 3/29/2021 at 2:28 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Carmine A Hot sticking dude! Fair play taking it to the 4wd with a frontie. 

Thanks Cy!! I'm blown away by the GRIP! I used Foamies up front - which were THRASHED by the 4th lap of the second attempt....  Big waste of money, but it was FUN!!

On 3/29/2021 at 3:19 PM, jupitertwo said:

Thank you so much!! I'm shocked! My next fastest Car, TT-02S SM RRRR GT4, barely bested 45 laps....

I should have submitted that anyway, so at least I'd be on the Board more than once.

Don't expect that again... I'm not going to waste money on Foam Tires for ONE run on Tarmac. Besides, I don't think it's fair to others who can't afford to spend the extra money - for one run.

I'm not good at designing Tracks... So I'll happily choose from yours! 💯👍👍

• Like 2

15 hours ago, nicksincrc said:

didn't realise it was yesterday :wacko: sent you it but no worries if it's too late , did it a few days ago too!!

Your result has been added to the sheet above. 

On 3/30/2021 at 9:58 AM, Charles M said:

@TurnipJF, we don't have the best lap on the dashboard ? The Google Form help you finally ? 

The Google Form worked well from my perspective. The weight and best lap columns have been added - I think I may not have selected them when I copied the data across originally.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Thanks Cy!! I'm blown away by the GRIP! I used Foamies up front - which were THRASHED by the 4th lap of the second attempt....  Big waste of money, but it was FUN!!

I would imagine that foams on a FWD would live fast and die young. Even the rubber tyres I use on my FWDs have a relatively short life expectancy. The only car I get half-decent tyre life from when running foams on tarmac is my F103, and I suspect that is due to two factors: it has a wider contact patch than a TC, and it is significantly lighter.

21 hours ago, ryback said:

Good to see a tight TT02 Type S battle with @TurnipJF in similar machinery, but it's back to the drawing board for me for my F1 car. It's WAY off the pace! Suspect replacing the kit tyres would be a good start. Other than that, possibly trying different rake angles and diff settings.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the gains to be made simply by changing the tyres. On stock rubber mine slides around a fair bit on tarmac, but with foams it grips far better. With foams and traction compound, it grips even better still, to the point of seemingly defying the laws of physics around the corners!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Carmine A said:

I'm not good at designing Tracks... So I'll happily choose from yours! 💯👍👍

I'll try to come up with something soon. Another option is to pick one from previous rounds. Since this is Round 10, this might be a fitting time to revisit a past favourite. But as Round 9 winner, the choice is yours!

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2021 at 7:58 AM, TurnipJF said:

I'll try to come up with something soon. Another option is to pick one from previous rounds. Since this is Round 10, this might be a fitting time to revisit a past favourite. But as Round 9 winner, the choice is yours!

Speaking of previous rounds, as I mentioned I've collected and organized all the previous tracks. I have the layout image for Round 4, I just need to copy it off my phone and upload it to the site. Does anyone have an image of the Round 6 course?

Round 1:
Winner: 48 laps - TurnipJF
Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 11.34.36 AM.png

Round 2:
Winner: 45 laps - TurnipJF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ivbl4eenAuk

Round 3:
Winner: 64 laps - Carmine A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7A5GT3j9Tw

Round 4:
Winner: 53 laps - TurnipJF
Best Lap: 5.52s
r4_layout.jpg

Round 5:
Winner: 42 laps - TurnipJF
Best Lap: 7.02s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2BWPBRnnNk

Round 6:
Winner: 45 laps - jupitertwo
Best Lap: 6.22s
A0F41597-B00A-4EE2-8620-F2AC73F79C6B.jpeg

Round 7:
Winner: 47 laps - ryback
r7_suggestion.jpg

Round 8:
Winner: 59 laps - JupiterTwo
Best Lap: 4.42s
image.png

Round 9:
Winner: 58 laps - Carmine A
spacer.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I would imagine that foams on a FWD would live fast and die young. Even the rubber tyres I use on my FWDs have a relatively short life expectancy. The only car I get half-decent tyre life from when running foams on tarmac is my F103, and I suspect that is due to two factors: it has a wider contact patch than a TC, and it is significantly lighter......

I've never driven an F1, believe it or not! I'm sure you know the FF Chassis Car's characteristics......

75% weight on the FRONT Wheels. 😲 I figured that gluing those to the Tarmac would be best... But in hindsight, Foams in the REAR would have helped a ton with lift-off Oversteer!! 

~ I guess you could say that my setup forced me to drive too fast!! 😜

Seriously though, it was neither comfortable or fun. That's not the point, is it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

Seriously though, it was neither comfortable or fun. That's not the point, is it?

That would depend.

If you're trying to go silly quick and win the race, you succeeded! If you're trying to have fun, then perhaps not.

Need some balance I guess.

• Like 1

@El Gecko I don’t have round 6 either sadly. Looks like the designer deleted the photo unfortunately. I have a vague memory of it, but not confident enough to draw it. Figure of eight then a big run to the right?

3 hours ago, Jonny Eff said:

That would depend.

If you're trying to go silly quick and win the race, you succeeded! If you're trying to have fun, then perhaps not.

Need some balance I guess.

What I really meant was it was just too hectic! I'm 57... When I was 20 - no problem!! 😉

I have to say I like the look of that track above!

Ten metres might be a bit long whilst people are locked down, but now we're starting to be let out a bit it should be ok? 

The Round 6 track was one of my favorites. No objections here if it is the one chosen for Round 10!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The Round 6 track was one of my favorites. No objections here if it is the one chosen for Round 10!

Since Ian has deleted most of his files.... Do you have an illustration of Round 6?? 

Since I missed it due to illness, we might have a go at it. 😉

7 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

One of my favorites as well, can't believe I forgot about that one!! Thanks @ryback for digging up the image!

I'm adding the layout for round 4 here, and the post above has been updated with the last two images. I'm good with whatever you lot decide!

r4_layout.jpg

• Like 1