TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

20 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

@TurnipJF as the mudlets have asked for cheap'ish Tamiya 2WD buggies for Xmas and I had no 2WD modern buggy myself I decided to buy myself a Schumacher Cougar laydown. 

I was (and still am) tempted by an F1 car but I realised this time of year was not really suitable for F1 cars when the only area we have to drive them is covered in leaves, twigs, stones, puddles, ice and maybe snow.

I figured a buggy may be best option but wanted to see what a genuinely modern race spec buggy is like and how it compares to my vintage Avante2001 and thundershot chassis cars. So I settled on the Cougar laydown. It will be interesting to see if a thoroughbred modern chassis performs any better in postal racing in my unskilled hands compared to my vintage buggies. I'm not expecting much difference but who knows?

I hope to have it built and running for round 7. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a prediction that my vintage 4WD buggies will still beat the modern race spec 2WD in my rather rubbish hands..... :D

If we actually manage to get dry tarmac for round 7 I'm excited to see if the 2WD cougar will perform better than my 4WD Avante2001. I will be fitting a brand new 13T Tamiya super touring motor to the cougar so they will be running same motor.

Place your bets......

My bet is that once you get the hang of the Cougar it will beat the Avante. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy pants said:

My bet is that once you get the hang of the Cougar it will beat the Avante. 

I suppose I should add, will the mudlets in their new DT02/03 buggies beat me?? They have been getting very close to my lap times recently and have better consistency. It is taking every ounce of effort and alot more race attempts to stay ahead of them.

Youngest Mudlet makes me very depressed, she just turns up, runs one attempt in her base model buggy with a cheap sport tuned motor and 7.2v NiMh, gets a pretty good lap count then calls it a day cos it is too cold. If she put in a few more races per round I suspect she would have beaten me on several rounds now. Almost as depressing as being beaten by a grasshopper..... :D

As an example, for the last few rounds the difference between youngest mudlets best and worst lap times have been 0.5 seconds. Mine has been several seconds. So it would only take a 0.5 second per lap improvement in lap times for youngest Mudlet to be challenging not only me but the podium! For me, gaining consistency is much harder. I put it down to youngsters having faster reaction times and being able to pickup new skills much quicker....at least that is my excuse :lol:

3 hours ago, mud4fun said:

I suppose I should add, will the mudlets in their new DT02/03 buggies beat me?? They have been getting very close to my lap times recently and have better consistency. It is taking every ounce of effort and alot more race attempts to stay ahead of them.

Youngest Mudlet makes me very depressed, she just turns up, runs one attempt in her base model buggy with a cheap sport tuned motor and 7.2v NiMh, gets a pretty good lap count then calls it a day cos it is too cold. If she put in a few more races per round I suspect she would have beaten me on several rounds now. Almost as depressing as being beaten by a grasshopper..... :D

As an example, for the last few rounds the difference between youngest mudlets best and worst lap times have been 0.5 seconds. Mine has been several seconds. So it would only take a 0.5 second per lap improvement in lap times for youngest Mudlet to be challenging not only me but the podium! For me, gaining consistency is much harder. I put it down to youngsters having faster reaction times and being able to pickup new skills much quicker....at least that is my excuse :lol:

It’s the law of the jungle, yep the kids will get the hang of it faster and go onto beat you over time,  accepting it with grace is tougher 😂

It’s kinda where you want to be as well, enjoying life with the kids, you slowing down little by little as you get older and them speeding up and being where we were 30+ years ago 😊

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2020 at 9:15 AM, mud4fun said:

@TurnipJF as the mudlets have asked for cheap'ish Tamiya 2WD buggies for Xmas and I had no 2WD modern buggy myself I decided to buy myself a Schumacher Cougar laydown. 

I was (and still am) tempted by an F1 car but I realised this time of year was not really suitable for F1 cars when the only area we have to drive them is covered in leaves, twigs, stones, puddles, ice and maybe snow.

I figured a buggy may be best option but wanted to see what a genuinely modern race spec buggy is like and how it compares to my vintage Avante2001 and thundershot chassis cars. So I settled on the Cougar laydown. It will be interesting to see if a thoroughbred modern chassis performs any better in postal racing in my unskilled hands compared to my vintage buggies. I'm not expecting much difference but who knows?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a prediction that my vintage 4WD buggies will still beat the modern race spec 2WD in my rather rubbish hands..... :D

If we actually manage to get dry tarmac for round 7 I'm excited to see if the 2WD cougar will perform better than my 4WD Avante2001. I will be fitting a brand new 13T Tamiya super touring motor to the cougar so they will be running same motor.

Place your bets......

So did Father Christmas respond to your household's requests? I hope so!

Hard to say how a modern thoroughbred race buggy will perform in postal races compared to the other buggies in your household fleet. If the racing was being conducted on a modern carpet track, I am sure it would give you a strong advantage, but on "basher" terrain I don't know. I look forward to reading your reports as to how it goes!

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 10:15 PM, mud4fun said:

Place your bets......

From what I can see the modern buggies have a few advantages (durability, designed for modern electronics) but really the design has evolved as tracks have. Modern buggies tend to be designed for high grip smooth surfaces, and even the dirt versions aren't really for dirt. In the Ae line, the last true dirt buggy was the B6D, if you buy a 6.1 onwards you need to convert back to the 6D arms, shock tower etc. The new Kyosho RB7 only comes with laydown trans, you need to buy extra parts to run standup for lower grip etc.

Same thing with onroad, you can choose carbon chassis for low grip asphalt or aluminium chassis for high grip carpet. Some generate so much grip people glue the sides of their tyres to reduce grip.

So the answer is 'it depends'. I suspect you won't notice much difference in this sort of racing. We find that our race buggies vs silvercan powered rere Tamiya's are even in our backyard track. The race buggies are miles faster but constantly overshoot corners due to speed so you have to slow them down anyway, and at that point it doesn't matter, the finishing order will be me, 1 friend who races, my son, other adults, other kids.

Unless I have a Lunchbox then my son is consistently faster in any other car, we only have one car with a solid rearend.

So I would come up with the story I need. When i swapped from a Lazer ZX6 to a HB D418 I legitimately gained 2secs a lap which justified the cost to me, and my wife understood.  So i would always say the new one is faster, even if I kept taking the old one racing as its better. But if your kids beat you, clearly the new one isn't designed for this type of track and you need to take it to its natural habitat to get the most from it...

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 10:09 AM, mud4fun said:

I suppose I should add, will the mudlets in their new DT02/03 buggies beat me??

I got a DT-03 for Christmas as well 😁 hoping to have it built before the extension closes

• Like 3

Hope you all had a good xmas and got lots of RC stuff :)

The mud household had a very RC xmas with each of us getting an RC Car, all 2WD's. We all fancied a change from our 4WD buggies and thought it may improve our driving if we tried racing 2WD.

Youngest Mudlet got a DT-03T Aqroshot which she managed to build yesterday in 5 hours flat. She built the entire chassis herself but I had to help her with the shell as some of the large stickers are not easy to align, even I was struggling and they are not perfect. She has even managed to get a couple of attempts in at round 6 this morning although the kit supplied tyres are rock hard and give zero grip on the cold, damp tarmac. Result was hysterical with many giggles as she was almost unable to keep it in a straight line. Her lap counts were way down on her Vanquish however considering that half the time she was doing donuts she would have got alot more laps with gripper tyres. We'll be ordering some new tyres this week. She also wants black wheels as she is not keen on the white ones.

1374891102_xmas_round6(2).thumb.jpg.210d7a65ba1830dfc6f7823746a196d4.jpg

Middle muddlet got a DT-02 Sand Viper and she is still building hers on the lounge floor, amidst all the lego, warhammer and trains that now litter my house.....

1077758678_xmas_round6(3).thumb.jpg.59badd0feaac4f8711dc0d802f269f7b.jpg

I got myself a Schumacher Cougar Laydown and I am also still building it on the dining room table. This is the first Schumacher I've built in 30 years. Superb quality parts, very rugged and strong design but much more difficult and time consuming to build than a Tamiya. eg. Trying to screw in long M3 screws into the tough engineering plastic takes about 3 times as much strength as screwing Tamiya coarse self tappers into their softer plastic. There are also way more parts in the cougar than in the Tamiya 2WD buggies so my buggy will be the last one completed......

1964721376_xmas_round6(1).thumb.jpg.700826263ebb532a2e00b075e57129b9.jpg

Middle mudlet and I are hoping to get our buggies completed by tomorrow and hope to have a few attempts at round 6 track before the end of this week.

• Like 7

Youngest needed a nap, so I was excused some time out for some runs :)

normal venue was being used by skateboarders, so backup Sainsbury’s long stay car park to the rescue. 
The poor showing of my TT02R has me wondering what to do with it. So the TT02S that has been quietly sitting in its box for a few years became the Christmas build. Box stock save for a set of 42273 shocks that were idle, and the Capri body that had been painted but not stickered was finished off:

D59B9F43-F5E4-483F-9260-EA7DCC206EC1.jpg

A run with the stock tyres, then a more concerted effort with the Rush set from my TA07.

Result was a much improved lap time over the TT02R, and a new question of would it equal the TB05 with a better motor? 
Two laps was the difference  between their runs today. The TB05 still felt nicer, but the TT02S certainly delivered. I’m surprised the arms could make that much of a difference. 

looking at the timing, there’s a bigger delta in my TB05 times. Perhaps there’s more to come there if I can drive a bit tidier?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jupitertwo said:

Perhaps there’s more to come there if I can drive a bit tidier?

I know that feeling well..... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Finally managed a couple of dry (and very cold!) runs with the TT-02. Went a bit further, but not massively further. I’ve been surprised a couple of times now that wet running, even if it feels super low traction, hasn’t been hugely slower than dry running (for me at least, and with 4WD). I guess the margins for getting a different result (ie an additional lap) are quite large. Not sure I’m going to be able to squeeze out an additional lap....maybe one more attempt if the weather holds!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ryback said:

(and very cold!)

....maybe one more attempt if the weather holds!

Hoping to get some better weather this week here as well. The packs are fully charged but the weather is nasty, and it feels like a good day to hibernate.

16 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Perhaps there’s more to come there if I can drive a bit tidier?

Therein lies the challenge :D

• Like 2

We finally finished building all our 2WD xmas presents..... 

xmas2020.thumb.jpg.9a6a12036c3479bd49ebbc4ee848f8ce.jpg

Youngest Mudlet has already done her first attempt at round 6 with the Aqroshot that resulted in a mediocre lap count as she spent half the time facing the wrong way.... :D

I have just done my first attempt with my Schumacher Cougar and had similar fate - icy wet tarmac is not exactly ideal with a 2WD......

Unlike the 4WD buggies it is not as easy to 'drift' the 2WD around the bends as it clearly takes alot more skill than I possess. However the Cougar does turn much tighter than the 4WD buggies so it is not losing quite as much time driving around those two 2m apart markers as the Thundershot or Avante2001 but any attempt to power out of the bends, like I am used to, results in me facing the wrong way or wheelspinning hopelessly or violently weaving from side to side making not much forward progress....... in my defence I have not raced a 2WD buggy in 30 years so it will take a bit of getting used to after being spoilt with 4WD for so long. Suffice to say my first attempt managed a lap count that was worse than any of my 4WD buggies managed but I can see potential. In fact, had the surface been dry, I have no doubt the Cougar would have beaten the Avante2001 lap count as it turns so much better. :)

• Like 4

Had one more attempt last night but fell a lap short of my last runs. It was dark this time and only dusk last time - maybe the reduced visibility didn’t help, esp at the far end of the lap. I do like running with the lights though!

• Like 1

I have found one major advantage with 2WD, the cars don't get as dirty! Both youngest Mudlet and myself have run our new buggies and both buggies returned home looking almost as clean as before we went. In comparison the 4WD's come back with shells and chassis covered in muck.

However, after another attempt today using Schumacher Cougar and my Thundershot, I think it is clear 4WD is hard to beat on slippy surfaces. The cougar still fell well short although improved over yesterday. The Thundershot actually improved on its original lap count, equalling the Avante2001! The Cougar barely managed to better youngest mudlets Agroshot laps.

• Like 1

Got some runs in today on some smooth, dry tarmac and they went significantly better than when I tried to bounce around the wet grass of my back yard. Made it to a personal best for both the Blackfoot and "Link" the Grasshornet, although I've got a lot of practice ahead of me if I expect to ever crack the top 10 on this esteemed leaderboard.

Threw the knobbies on afterwards and went for some sunset donuts around the ball fields to run the batteries out :D

r6_123120.jpg

• Like 8

We ventured down to the rec ground for yet more attempts at Round 6 with our 2WD's, this was my 3rd attempt, youngest Mudlets 2nd attempt and Middle Mudlets first attempt.

The weather was horrible, freezing cold and raining. As you can see from the photo, this was a VERY WET track (and cars and drivers.....)

I managed to improve further with my Cougar and got closer to my thundershot lap count, I've managed to improve by half a dozen laps on each attempt now as I get used to the car and driving a 2WD. I need to change the front tyres as they offer near zero grip in the wet. The rear cactus tyres gripped superbly in the wet but this only made matters worse as it just pushed the car on in a straight line at each turn. May need to add weight up front too.

Middle Mudlets DT02 Sand Viper had its first run and wow, what an impressive little buggy. Very tight turning circle and the stock kit tyres actually performed really well on the wet tarmac. It was smooth and quite quiet too. While she ended up with the least number of laps, considering it was her very first drive of her new car AND her very first drive of a 2WB buggy she did very well indeed.

Youngest Mudlets DT03 Aqroshot however beat both of us, her driving skill is superior to mine and the new 'hand-cut' tyres we fitted (to Wild Willy 2 wheels) provided much better grip and stability in the wet than the rock hard diddy little stock kit tyres. The Aqroshot is also smooth and relatively quiet compared to our other buggies. She managed just one lap short of what she managed with her Vanquish! Middle Mudlet and I were just gobsmacked at how tight the damned thing turns (especially on the big tyres), how controllable it was in the drifts she did and how consistent youngest Mudlet is with her driving. The only other modification we made to the Aqroshot was to add a Schumacher wing onto the back as she didn't like the kit supplied sticky up flat plate and wanted a proper wing instead. 

round6_2wd.jpg

• Like 6

Middle Mudlet and myself just went down for another attempt. Youngest decided to sit this one out as she wanted to stay warm inside.

The sun had actually come out and the surface had dried out a little so Middle Mudlet improved her lap count by 2 and I improved mine by 3. I beat youngest Mudlets count so I was feeling a bit better, however, not that great really when my race spec buggy with a powerful motor and LiPo barely beats a 540 powered Aqroshot :o (My driving really is dire)

• Like 1

@TurnipJF just noticed that you have not read the last set of results for round6 I sent you yesterday. Just mentioning it in case it is not showing up in your inbox. :)

Is the deadline tonight or tomorrow night?

Tried to get another attempt in today, sun was out, tarmac was dry, perfect conditions,  put LiPo on charge, by time it was charged it was snowing, then rain and snow all afternoon and evening. Having to discharge pack back to storage charge now. I really do hate LiPos sometimes, missed the only 1 hour weather window today. Will try again tomorrow if deadline is tomorrow night.

Why or how is it that my car always ends up filthy even though I'm driving on tarmac?????? sigh

Been out doing more postal racing today but parts of the track were covered in black ice so nobody improved their lap counts from yesterday.

Good fun though with yet more donuts galore and youngest mudlet managing to perfect the art of slamming her brakes on with a front wheel of her Aqroshot on the marker and spinning the entire car through 180 degrees on the spot, she barely needed to ever actually drive around a corner like middle mudlet and myself had to.

dirty_cougar.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 11:10 PM, mud4fun said:

@TurnipJF just noticed that you have not read the last set of results for round6 I sent you yesterday. Just mentioning it in case it is not showing up in your inbox. :)

Is the deadline tonight or tomorrow night?

Tried to get another attempt in today, sun was out, tarmac was dry, perfect conditions,  put LiPo on charge, by time it was charged it was snowing, then rain and snow all afternoon and evening. Having to discharge pack back to storage charge now. I really do hate LiPos sometimes, missed the only 1 hour weather window today. Will try again tomorrow if deadline is tomorrow night.

My apologies - been a bit under the weather of late.

The deadline was the midnight that has just passed, and I'll get the results updated ASAP.

• Like 1

Here we go:

Laps: Participant: Chassis: Motor: Battery: Surface: Weight: Best lap:
45 jupitertwo TB-05 15.5t Tamiya 2S LiPo concrete 1414g 6.22s
44 ryback TT-02 Type S Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH tarmac (W)    
42 jupitertwo TT-02 Type S Torque Tuned 2S LiPo concrete   6.68s
42 TurnipJF DF-01 Manta Ray "Darkwing" Tamiya TZ 2S LiPo tarmac (W)   6.92s
41 jupitertwo TA-07 10.5t Tamiya 2S LiPo concrete 1420g 6.87s
40 TurnipJF Thundershot "Grey Knight" GT Tuned 2S LiPo tarmac (W) 1561g 7.01s
39 Mud4fun Avante 2001 "Purple Pig" 13t Dyna Run Super Touring 2S LiPo tarmac (W) 1557g 6.97s
37 Mud4fun Thundershot "Stig Eater" 13t Dyna Run Super Touring 2S LiPo tarmac (W) 1467g 7.17s
35 Mud4fun Schumacher Cougar 13t Dyna Run Super Touring 2S LiPo tarmac (W) 1487g  
34 Middle Mudlet Avante 2001 "Purple Pig" 13t Dyna Run Super Touring 2S LiPo tarmac (W) 1557g 7.78s
34 Youngest Mudlet Vanquish "Shadowfire" Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH tarmac (W) 1640g  
34 Middle Mudlet Egress 13t Dyna Run Super Touring 2S LiPo tarmac (W) 1557g 7.61s
33 jupitertwo XV-01TC Tamiya TZ 2S LiPo concrete 1445g 8.38s
33 Youngest Mudlet DT-03T Aqroshot Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH tarmac (W) 1960g  
32 Middle Mudlet Terra Scorcher 19t Reedy Quad Mag Spec 7.2V NiMH tarmac (W) 1604g  
30 El Gecko Grasshornet "Link" 27t Yokomo 7.2V NiMH tarmac 1319g 8.50s
30 El Gecko Blackfoot 27t Point Blank ROAR '91 7.2V NiMH tarmac 1824g 8.63s
30 Middle Mudlet DT-02 Sand Viper Silver can 7.2V NiMH tarmac (W) 1488g  
29 jupitertwo TT-02 10.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo concrete (W) 1460g 9.16s
27 IoWBasher XV-01 (Carbon Chassis) 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo
rough tarmac (W)
  9.49s
23 Ferruz DF-01 Manta Ray 13.5t Bluebottle 7.2V NiCad ice with snow    
23 ExmouthAdam Midnight Pumpkin Silver can 7.2V NiMH tarmac    
22 Aerobert Bullhead 2 X Silver cans 2S LiPo grass (W)    
22 El Gecko Grasshopper Silver can 7.2V NiMH grass (W) 1534g 10.69s
22 El Gecko Blackfoot 27t Point Blank ROAR '91 7.2V NiMH grass (W) 2000g 11.16s
21 El Gecko Grasshornet "Link" 27t Yokomo 7.2V NiMH grass (W) 1323g 10.53s
18 Ferruz Kyosho Big Boss Car Crusher Le Mans Stock 05 7.2V NiCad ice with snow    
16 Ministrone CW-01 Midnight Pumpkin Silver can 2S LiPo tarmac (W)   11.90s

Any track proposals for our next round? Tight and compact would be good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @TurnipJF for updating table and congratulations to @jupitertwo and @ryback for their lap counts. I am in awe. While I can get close to the fastest lap times I just can't drive at that pace consistently over 5 mins. Hats off to you!

Tight and compact? LOL, there was me thinking even round 6 was compact :lol:, I can barely use full throttle for more than 0.000000001 seconds on most of my buggies. Any tighter and I may as well swap in silver cans...... :D 

edit: any tighter and middle mudlets DT02 will beat me, it turns tighter than my Cougar! I only beat her due to the 10m straights favouring the higher powered cars. My ideal would be 30m straights.... I may have a decent chance then :D

• Like 5

I dont get it, round 5 and 6, i have entered result and you havent put them up!

6 hours ago, DayRider said:

I dont get it, round 5 and 6, i have entered result and you havent put them up!

I put up all the results that I receive via PM. However some PMs seem to take an inordinate amount of time to arrive, while others don't arrive at all. I haven't received any entries from you since Round 4 for example.

@netsmithUK Any idea why this is happening?

• Confused 1

Congrats @jupitertwo!!! EPIC Win! 🎉🎉🎉 

@TurnipJF I hope you're feeling better. I'm almost recovered. Some say that it was "only" Tonsillitis... However I had so many Covid19 symptoms that I was quarantined until it was verified. 

After the most DEPRESSING Christmas Seasons in my Life.... Something POSITIVE! 

Us Yanks got another round of Stimulus Checks!!! SINCE our Christmas was SO lonely, Boring, Poor and depressing..... 

We decided to spend our entire Checks on TOYS!! We spoiled our Grandbabies and ourselves.  I ordered a FF-03 Pro, with a 17 Turn Motor and a Yeah Racing Sealed Gear Diff!!! 😁😁😊😊 

I can't WAIT to see how she does in the Challenge! 💯👍👍 

I wish all of you the absolute BEST for 2021. We've got nowhere to go but UP from 2020!!!

• Like 8