TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

Nice results, congrats guys and hey, frozen wooden spoon for my Big Boss! 😅

On 01/02/2021 at 3:33 AM, mud4fun said:

I thought it was cold doing our last postal racing attempt at -1.5c, how do you keep your fingers warm on the Tx? My fingers were freezing.

Good question indeed. I've been struggling for quite a while, and my fingers are all full of cracks. I did find a pair of cheap fabric gloves eventually, they are thin enough to allow me to use the TX though it took some getting used to. While not being even close to warm enough, they are way better than nothing. My fingers still get cracked and at times, but I'll gladly do it for the sake of RC :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/02/2021 at 11:21 AM, nicksincrc said:

Hi, those can't be original tyres so what are you using please ? I have my 33 year old big brute but it's tireless as you can imagine 

They are indeed the original tires. There's a spell on my Big Boss ;)

Spell aside, I too am amazed at how durable they are. Not only are they in one piece, I run them most everyday in all sort of snow, sludge, even on some winter roads which is a no-no due to the salt. And it's not that I don't care, quite the contrary, I would fill my mattress with those tires if I could as they are gorgeous!!! Unfortunately, the few that have them for sale ask ridiculous prices that I would never pay.

Anyway, I still run them on my Boss because I feel they are an irreplaceable part of its character and I don't wanna give up to good sense, but truth is, they are definitely replaceable by any of those china monster truck rims/wheels you can find on fleabay for quite cheap, I should get those and put my glorious vintage tires on the shelf, but I just won't!

Look those up for your Brute though, maybe you'll have to get hexes and check diameter/dimensions, but I'm sure you'll find something for your needs👍

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 8:49 AM, mud4fun said:

Here is a suggestion for a track plan that is 6m x 2m, actually just a slightly revised version of El Geckos track with an extra long leg added. It looks more complicated than it actually is! :D

track_plan_round_8_suggested.thumb.jpg.2e3ce2d8536b07bd541788eb6c380abf.jpg

On 2/2/2021 at 9:55 PM, jupitertwo said:

I was doodling some track ideas, but then started to wonder about dimensions. What sort of boundary box are we sticking to these days?

Postal-Racing-Round-8-suggestion.png

I dragged the boxes around a lot, so I figured I might be subconsciously drawing an previous track!

Just catching up on the thread - are these the proposals for round 8? Any more designs to be offered up?

Although I was joint top, the morale victory surely has to go to @jupitertwo for his run being on wet tarmac! It was also interesting that buggies seemed to do extra well last round, I’m not familiar with the Optima but was impressed it managed to dispatch your touring cars @jupitertwo!

• Like 1

@ryback I wouldn't read too much into our buggies being higher than normal.

Because we are in full lockdown we have had to run on our back lawn rather than the rec ground.

While this means we are running on wet muddy grass which would typically give worse results than on the tarmac rec ground, it does mean that we can literally do loads of 5 min races per day. So in my case as I work from home, I have been doing an attempt or two in the morning before work, then a few more at lunchtime and more again after work. Maybe as many as 30 attempts at round 7 per buggy. 

Normally we walk a mile down to the rec ground on a Sunday morning with a single battery per car and do 2 or 3 attempts per car and call it a day (certainly in cold wet winter weather!). We may do that two weekends in a row but at most we'd do maybe 6 attempts per buggy. It is too much hassle packing some tools and spares, the lapmonitor, tablet, phones, radio gear etc in a bag and carting it all a mile away to be doing that 30 times....

Being able to literally pick a car up, drop a battery in it and walk out back door and race means the extra practise paid off with much better results for all in the mud household. :)

Once lockdown is lifted we'll return to tarmac rec ground though because my lawn is now a quagmire and I'm fed up of washing buggies.....:lol: 

Edit. Also note that both @Carmine A and @TurnipJF were ill for round 7 so I don't think they got a chance to run their touring cars? That probably explains why for the first time my highest count is higher than Turnips highest! LOL

PS. I like that design of @jupitertwo because it is not another figure eight!!! B) (having just done 3000 laps around a triple figure 8 I fancy a change)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mud4fun said:

PS. I like that design of @jupitertwo because it is not another figure eight!!! B) (having just done 3000 laps around a triple figure 8 I fancy a change)

Shall we go for that one then? I like the lack of any 270 deg hairpins!

Just need to double check dimensions though to make sure we all understand - on @jupitertwo's grid diagram, I'm assuming that 2 'big boxes' = 1m, and that you wanted the track as it appears visually on the diagram? If so, the 3m label at the top and the 1m label bottom left should read 6m and 2m respectively?

That would mean the track fits in an 8m x 4m box. If that's a little too large for the garden-based UK people (?), perhaps we could drag the far left cone back 2m (i.e. in line with the other two cones) to keep essentially the same layout, just within a 6m x 4m box?

(Apols if I've got the wrong end of the stick with any of that!)

19 minutes ago, ryback said:

Shall we go for that one then? I like the lack of any 270 deg hairpins!

Just need to double check dimensions though to make sure we all understand - on @jupitertwo's grid diagram, I'm assuming that 2 'big boxes' = 1m, and that you wanted the track as it appears visually on the diagram? If so, the 3m label at the top and the 1m label bottom left should read 6m and 2m respectively?

That would mean the track fits in an 8m x 4m box. If that's a little too large for the garden-based UK people (?), perhaps we could drag the far left cone back 2m (i.e. in line with the other two cones) to keep essentially the same layout, just within a 6m x 4m box?

(Apols if I've got the wrong end of the stick with any of that!)yeah I'

I'm not sure on @jupitertwo's scale on that drawing because it shows 4 squares as 1m on the left hand side but only two squares as 1m on the right side? 

Don't think I can fit a 6m x 4m track on our lawn because I'd have less than 1m between markers and lawn edges, plant pots and fences (our lawn is 8m x 6m ignoring shrubs). However I am planning to extend our garden track so am planning to lose alot of the flower beds and shrubs so might start ripping them out this month. So maybe possible? Ignore me, let us see what others think? If I can fit it then fine else we'll sit out this round. Lockdown should be lifted by mid April so we can get back to normal.

@jupitertwo, please don't take offence but I did a quick redraw of that design with some baselines so I could more clearly see the dimensions for when I'm walking to lay out the markers. Is this correct?

Me thinks the touring cars will have an easier time than the buggies this time around!! (Remind me again, did anybody expressly ban RC Helicopters/drones???? :D )

track_plan_round_8.thumb.jpg.00758f612bdee51d7fce02db5258c660.jpg

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Me thinks the touring cars will have an easier time than the buggies this time around!!

I think M-chassis might do even better still!

• Like 3

Not a problem @mud4fun, whatever makes it easier for everyone to understand. :)

I think anything that keeps in the lockdown box is going to be a bit fiddly. Perhaps we have a go tomorrow and see if it’s a pain to set up?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Hehe, hopefully we’ll see a few more entered. There’s a lot about on TC lately, and I think quite a few MF01Xs arriving in people’s build queues? :P

On 2/4/2021 at 12:48 AM, mud4fun said:

.....Edit. Also note that both @Carmine A and @TurnipJF were ill for round 7 so I don't think they got a chance to run their touring cars? That probably explains why for the first time my highest count is higher than Turnips highest! LOL

You need not worry.... I got to do some practice laps on the Round 7 Circuit. It was ABYSMAL!! 7.5 minute laps at best. 😖 

..... Though my FF-03 Pro isn't finished yet! 😜

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I think a FF-03 may do well too!!! :ph34r: 😜

Gave the setup a try

D1DBB9FD-B092-4EFF-93DC-8879A88ECC95.jpg

76419567-CBC9-4F97-BC38-0263A00E6935.jpg

Fiddly is definelty order of the day, and took a while to go the right way consistently. 

I don’t think the direct coupling in the front of the XV01TC is helping get the tight turns in.

Might have to try @mud4fun’s track if i get chance later. Any other suggestions? :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@jupitertwo we've just run it, youngest Mudlet loves it, tells me to say thank you, it is a tricky but fun course. She has just run her Aqroshot around it and nearly matched her round 7 lap count on her 2nd attempt. My buggies will struggle as other than the Cougar none can turn as tight as that damned Aqroshot. Middle Mudlet could do well with her DT02 too. 

It did however cause a few issues setting it up.... We had to walk along with the phone to keep looking at the dimensions. No worries though. I'm going to hammer tent pegs through the markers so they can stay there now for the next month. 

Edit. You'd think with the big tyres that Aqroshot would have turning circle of ocean liner but sadly for me that is not the case :lol:

Edit2: and the other annoying thing with it is that it has a lowly torque tuned motor in it which means youngest gets like 45 mins run time out of her battery.... She is still out there now driving around that track.....  It is nice, warm and sunny here just now, like a spring day. Hard to believe we're forecast to get sub zero temps and heavy snow from tomorrow night.

• Like 1

Captain Imbecile here with a question; am I reading the layout right if I’m thinking the track measures 4 m x 2 m? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Captain Imbecile here with a question; am I reading the layout right if I’m thinking the track measures 4 m x 2 m? 

Yep, marker to marker the largest distances are 4m x 2m

• Thanks 1

Thanks! @jupitertwo 

Snow on masonry is probably the perfect surface for me to drive on, it will hardly make me slower so might as well give it a go. 

• Haha 1

I gave the layout a try this afternoon on tarmac. As suspected, the M-08 is a great performer on this layout, with the RWD and abundant power making it quite easy to get around the tight corners by kicking the tail out. However I found that my best laps were the ones I took relatively slowly, driving around with minimal fanfare. Towards the end of the session I even went as far as to reduce my throttle EPA.

With this in mind, I think that I might unleash the mighty Grasshopper again if we keep this layout for Round 8. With its level of power, clean, non-flashy laps are likely to be even easier.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

With this in mind, I think that I might unleash the mighty Grasshopper again if we keep this layout for Round 8. With its level of power, clean, non-flashy laps are likely to be even easier.

Oh Lord......not again.. :blink::D

After watching youngest Mudlet running around that track with her Aqroshot (for 55 minutes off a single charge!!!!!!) I'm tempted to just fit a silver can to the Cougar. I'm not sure there is any point in having a high revving high power draw motor for this round, I'd be barely able to touch the throttle before having to brake for next turn???

I'm even tempted to buy one of those cheap RTR 1/14th - 1/16th scale buggies (Absima/FTX) for lockdown racing - tiny and with tight turning circles but probably sufficiently quick??? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

I gave the layout a try this afternoon on tarmac. As suspected, the M-08 is a great performer on this layout, with the RWD and abundant power making it quite easy to get around the tight corners by kicking the tail out. However I found that my best laps were the ones I took relatively slowly, driving around with minimal fanfare. Towards the end of the session I even went as far as to reduce my throttle EPA.

Yeah, that’s what I’ve found in the most recent rounds. Clean lines, no fuss gave consistent good laps. I really noticed it running the FF03 in Round 7, I was just touching the throttle and it was running a silver can. Finding the line to carry the speed, and not going the wrong way round the lower right section is going to be my challenge. 

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

I'm even tempted to buy one of those cheap RTR 1/14th - 1/16th scale buggies (Absima/FTX) for lockdown racing - tiny and with tight turning circles but probably sufficiently quick??? 

I ran a Mini-Z in one of the earlier rounds, not as far behind as I thought, as it trundled round on it’s 4 AAAs.Not quick, but very easy to apex :P

Are there any other layouts we want to try out?  5mx3m marker to maker is our lockdown limit?

17 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

Are there any other layouts we want to try out?  5mx3m marker to maker is our lockdown limit?

I have a few in mind, but the 6" of snow we got last night combined with the upcoming -10 to -15C temps means I probably wouldn't get to drive on them much (if at all).

Maybe I will play around with something in that boundary box and see what I can come up with. The challenge at this point is trying not to duplicate one of the previous layouts.

• Like 1

Less complicated and quicker perhaps:

Unwinding chicane into a sweeping right handed before the hairpin at the end?

The thought was to slow the cars right down, then build the speed up over the lap. 

Untitled-Diagram.png

• Like 1