TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

30 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

I just realized I didn't put a direction arrow on it... are we running it clockwise or reverse? (fwiw I believe I had anti-clockwise in mind for the original)

Anticlockwise it its then. 

Any input from lap monitor users as to where the start/finish line should be for them to work best?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Anticlockwise it its then. 

Any input from lap monitor users as to where the start/finish line should be for them to work best?

I'd say at the start of the straight going upwards, as in just past the bottom right hand marker ;)

Well... Look what I missed. 😲  Nice, semi simple layout!! High Speed sections and challenging Curves. Well Done!!! 💯👋👋👋👋👋👋👋

I will try to have a go at it. Actually looks like a fun loop! I definitely need a Lap Counter soon. My "timer people" are getting busier...

On 5/5/2021 at 4:47 AM, Carmine A said:

Well... Look what I missed. 😲  Nice, semi simple layout!! High Speed sections and challenging Curves. Well Done!!! 💯👋👋👋👋👋👋👋

I will try to have a go at it. Actually looks like a fun loop! I definitely need a Lap Counter soon. My "timer people" are getting busier...

I've made mine, you need

Some electronic components,  some soldering skill , some programmming technics , some 3D Printed for clean enclosure ; 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 10:47 PM, Carmine A said:

Do you have an old smartphone that you can put Laptrax on? Then just get a cheapo tripod from the gas station for ten bucks (or lean the phone up against something for free) and you're good to go B)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, El Gecko said:

Do you have an old smartphone that you can put Laptrax on? Then just get a cheapo tripod from the gas station for ten bucks (or lean the phone up against something for free) and you're good to go B)

One thing I don't like about Laptrax is that you can't do fixed time runs like we do in the postal races, you can only set an amount of laps, then run them out. Sure, you can put like 99 laps then stop running when you see the 5 minute mark, but it's a bit distracting and it's strange the devs never tought about this format, since it's the norm in rc racing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MontyMole said:

One thing I don't like about Laptrax is that you can't do fixed time runs like we do in the postal races, you can only set an amount of laps, then run them out. Sure, you can put like 99 laps then stop running when you see the 5 minute mark, but it's a bit distracting and it's strange the devs never tought about this format, since it's the norm in rc racing.

Huh? You can set a max time easily. When you're in the main screen, tap and hold on the timer/clock icon and it will ask you to "set max time". Just tap on the number digits until they increase to 5:00 and then hit the clock icon again to save. Then you're good to go. My old phone has a wonky audio system, so I'm not sure, but I think it's supposed to beep or something when the timer runs out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm hoping to get a chance this weekend to get some laps in, but it's Mother's Day (Australia) on Sunday, and the next couple of weekends are looking a bit busy too. Hopefully tomorrow I can get my tax return done, do the weekly shopping, get some paints for my mini-mini-Lunchbox, then charge some batteries and get some laps in. :P

• Like 1

Getting acquainted with the new track today, with a couple of mallards as a public. It's quite twisty and technical, which I like. Once again I'll be running on grass. My battered NiMh packs seem to be barely up to the task, especially with the power hungry 13.5 bluebottle. Good enuff for now! Happy racing everybody

• Like 1

Back in the game! Did 3 runs tonight with the TT02, but unusually / unfortunately the first was the fastest! It was literally first laps too, not sure what went wrong after that.

• Like 1

I got some laps in yesterday with the TT02, I had installed Type A slicks/wheels instead of the stock ones I usually use and I think it made quite a positive difference. Also nice that my sons joined along and clocked up some decent lap counts, too. I tried out my newly restored TL01 as well but the steering turned out to be rather erratic - I'll have to see if that gets better after I install one of the high torque servo savers that are in the post from Japan.

While the Coronapocalypse is by no means over and racing has yet to resume in many areas, a lot of the restrictions that prevented general bashing have been lifted for a lot of us.

I was therefore wondering how much longer there will be a need/want for this thread to continue? Shall we just see how long it takes to fade away naturally, or shall we declare a final round, and if the latter, when do you think we should do so?

@TurnipJF personally, I have no urge to put a stop to this and feel no need for a final round :) There's no club racing in my area (not for vintage/rere cars anyway) so to me the Postal Racing still represents a valid alternative to general bashing and free running. I can't always participate due to weather or general life matters -like everybody else- but enjoy doing so immensely when I can.

I am therefore good to keep the thread up, and I'm sure a few others would agree, but of course this decision is ultimately up to you Turnip since you are doing all the work and coordination. A very good job by the way, thank you very much once again for taking the time and effort to organize every round. If you are done with all this it would be understandable, but if not, I vote for the Postal Racing to keep going :)

• Like 6

Same here! Even though I joined late, Postal racing has been loads of fun and has been a great alternative to the local club, where there is only a permanent off road track (on road is every few weekends or so in the community hall). I have precious little spare time and the small, easy to set up tracks mean that I can have a quick run in the back garden or on the street in front of the house. I have also been much more motivated to actually get my cars off the shelf and in running condition, I am more interested in the cars setup, enjoy comparing different cars and so on. It's also great fun to compete with my older son and to see my younger son's skills improve.

So again many many thanks @TurnipJF for this brilliant thread and all the work you have put in. If you are willing to carry on, I also vote for postal racing to continue!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got a small child, a job where I'm away for six weeks at a time, a very stressed wife and a mother-in-law with a broken back.

I can't always get round to posting a time on each round, ad even if I do I porbably only get one or two goes at it. But I very much enjoy this thread and doing the race whenever I get the chance to. And that enjoyment is mostly down to the idea and work you've put into it which I'm very grateful for.

Long Live Postal Racing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Got some laps in at the park today. It had rained, so damp conditions and we had to steer clear of some puddles, so no brilliant lap counts to be achieved, but lots of fun anyway.

My older son likes the new transmitter for his TT-02 (a Flysky GT-5) and I seem to have the TA04 set up properly now.

I really enjoyed watching my younger son having  a go with the TA04 - he usually drives a Thunder Blitz with a 380 motor for postal racing as it is slow enough to get round the corners easily. To start with he had no chance of controlling the power of a gt-tuned motor. He got better by the minute though and had really got the hang of it after a while.

So now of course I'm thinking of getting him a touring car.... 😩

• Like 2

Today, I've run for the first time on this round. 

I've lent the Peugeot 306 to my nephew on his new TT02. But i present to you the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo bodyshell on the same XV01 chassis.. 

IMG_0559.thumb.jpg.3f4837aa728e26457f461db940e68aa0.jpg

I've change my used slick tires to radial ones.  More understeer at the end of the straight. Maybe, i need to set my dampers. 

The track on Panorama mode. 

IMG_0560.thumb.jpg.ee19e3370e6279bdc275f4ee4b48375d.jpg

Tomorrow on Monday it's bank holiday in France, I will try to make another session. 

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

Got some laps in at the park today. It had rained, so damp conditions and we had to steer clear of some puddles, so no brilliant lap counts to be achieved, but lots of fun anyway.

My older son likes the new transmitter for his TT-02 (a Flysky GT-5) and I seem to have the TA04 set up properly now.

I really enjoyed watching my younger son having  a go with the TA04 - he usually drives a Thunder Blitz with a 380 motor for postal racing as it is slow enough to get round the corners easily. To start with he had no chance of controlling the power of a gt-tuned motor. He got better by the minute though and had really got the hang of it after a while.

So now of course I'm thinking of getting him a touring car.... 😩

I keep my TA04 (PRO) to run on carpet. But this chassis is a very good one. Keep attention, that hard to find some parts on this chassis.

On 5/19/2021 at 3:25 PM, Ferruz said:

@TurnipJF personally, I have no urge to put a stop to this and feel no need for a final round :) There's no club racing in my area (not for vintage/rere cars anyway) so to me the Postal Racing still represents a valid alternative to general bashing and free running. I can't always participate due to weather or general life matters -like everybody else- but enjoy doing so immensely when I can.

I am therefore good to keep the thread up, and I'm sure a few others would agree, but of course this decision is ultimately up to you Turnip since you are doing all the work and coordination. A very good job by the way, thank you very much once again for taking the time and effort to organize every round. If you are done with all this it would be understandable, but if not, I vote for the Postal Racing to keep going :)

On 5/20/2021 at 12:49 PM, Maelstrom said:

Same here! Even though I joined late, Postal racing has been loads of fun and has been a great alternative to the local club, where there is only a permanent off road track (on road is every few weekends or so in the community hall). I have precious little spare time and the small, easy to set up tracks mean that I can have a quick run in the back garden or on the street in front of the house. I have also been much more motivated to actually get my cars off the shelf and in running condition, I am more interested in the cars setup, enjoy comparing different cars and so on. It's also great fun to compete with my older son and to see my younger son's skills improve.

So again many many thanks @TurnipJF for this brilliant thread and all the work you have put in. If you are willing to carry on, I also vote for postal racing to continue!

Totally agree, more easy to run in front of my house than local club ( not registered yet ) and these very technical track are fun to drive. I run my vintage model due to not scratch ( one per run ) and improve the setup.

• Like 1

Well, I am enjoying the competition too, so if it is not boring people, I am more than happy to carry on on running it from my side.

One week to go on this round!

• Like 2

Weekends in May have been full up for me, but this weekend is free so hopefully I'll put in some laps tomorrow. Its great fun!

• Like 1

I've been struggling to do too much this month but am charging all cars up for a thrash around this afternoon or tomorrow.

• Like 1