TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

Spent some time practicing with the tt01 and Terra Scorcher yesterday. 

Took the Dark Impact and Terra Scorcher out this morning for timed runs, will head out with the tt01 and maybe hornet later. As much as I think the Dark Impact is a nicer, more modern buggy with more hop ups, the Terra Scorcher seems to work better for these courses. My first run was interrupted by a neighbour but was a few laps better than the Dark Impact. I've put 500wt oil in the shocks, fitted new front arms and taken play out of the front which I think helped, until I inexplicably drove it straight on into a kerb just now and introduced wheel wobble, and some more sloppiness. 

I think the tt01 is going to beat both buggies though after yesterday's practice runs.

Submitted my scores. The Hornet did significantly better than I expected. I'm really pleased I ran it, was a lot more fun than I expected. Also, luckily the two times I rolled it it ended up back on its wheels without my intervention.

• Like 1

@Toad16v I agree on the Hornet! It's a surprisingly fun and relatively effective postal racing machine, plus with its scale looks it really is a joy to see in motion on the track. Sometimes it almost gets up there with the other buggys' best results!

This morning I've submitted my results as well, then it occurred to me that my Manta's tires are by now worn enough for me to finish'em off in a tarmac attempt without too much guilt. Same goes for the Hornet.

So I've set up the track on Tarmac and then, once again, the instant I started running the car it started raining! Went back indoors a bit bummed out, but now I've changed my mind: back out I go for another rainy tarmac run! 

Happy races everybody 👍🏁🤠

EDIT: even though the tarmac was soaking wet and under the pouring rain, the Manta got 4 more laps in than its PB on grass so I'm stoked! I'm positive I could sneak in at least one more lap if it stops raining and it dries up a little. A few more hours to go before it's modnight in the UK, we'll see:lol:

EDIT 2: wow, the Hornet did alright on wet tarmac! Just one lap below the Manta's PB on grass. At this time the Boss deserves a wet tarmac run as well, then I'll be done I guess. I wish I had the RC10 with me to do the same, for next round I gotta slap some old baldies on it and run it on asphalt so I can really use that sharp steering! Spiked tires have been keeping me off tarmac lol.

Once again, @TurnipJF we can never thank you too much for the idea and for the effort you put into organizing this. So much fun thanks to you :)

• Like 2

Sadly I'm on a ship in the middle of the North Sea and won't be home until the 1st of July at the earliest, so I can't put an entry in for this or the next one.

But I'm enjoying the pictures and talk from you all and hope that the best man or woman (using a Lunchbox) wins :)

• Like 1

Thanks to all who entered - I'll try to get the results posted up this evening after work. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Thanks to all who entered - I'll try to get the results posted up this evening after work. 👍

Thanks for organising this again. I definitely wouldn't be using my cars as much, or improving my driving without it.

• Like 1

Here we go:

Position Username Lap count Car Motor Battery Surface Track modifiers (Optional) Running weight (Optional) Best lap
1 charlesmerlen 49 XV01 - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6 Super Stock TZ 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Dusty   5.62s
2 ryback 49 TT-02 Type S Vauxhall Cavalier 25t Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
3 Ferruz 49 DF01 Manta Ray 13.5T Bluebottle 7.2V NiMH Tarmac It was wet., It was raining    
4 TurnipJF 49 TT-02B Neo Scorcher 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
5 TurnipJF 47 DF-01 Manta Ray "Darkwing" Tamiya TZ 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
6 Maelstrom 45 TT-02 Petronas MB SLS 25t Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
7 Ferruz 45 Df01 Manta Ray 13.5T bluebottle 7.2V NiMH Grass It was damp.    
8 Ferruz 44 Hornet 15T Hpi Firebolt 7.2V NiMH Tarmac It was wet.    
9 Maelstrom 43 TA04 Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 25t GT Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac It was wet.    
10 Ferruz 42 Associated RC10 gold pan Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH Grass It was wet.    
11 SonOfMaelstrom1 41 TT-02 Raikiri GT 23t Carson Cup machine 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
12 nicksincrc 40 XV-01 peugeot 205 T16 EVO 27t sliver can 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
13 Snickelfritz245 40 TT02 Mercedes AMG GT3 silver can 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
14 Toad16v 39 TT-01E Subaru Impreza. 21t smd 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
15 nicksincrc 38 TT-01E MERCEDES SLS GT 27t silver can 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
16 Toad16v 38 Terra Scorcher 23t carson cup machine 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
17 Toad16v 37 Hornet 25t torque tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
18 Ferruz 37 Hornet 15T HPI Firebolt 7.2V NiMH Grass It was damp.    
19 Ferruz 37 Kyosho Big Boss Kyosho Le Mans stock 05 7.2V NiMH Tarmac It was wet.    
20 Snickelfritz245 36 TT02 Mercedes AMG GT3 Silver can 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1315g  
21 Toad 35 DF03 Dark Impact 23t sport tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
22 Ferruz 33 Kyosho Big Boss Kyosho Le Mans Stock 05 7.2V NiMH Grass It was damp.    
23 Mrs Turnip 33 Rising Fighter 27t Etronix 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
24 SonOfMaelstrom2 32 Thunder Blitz 380 tin can 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
25 Maelstrom 32 DT-02 Desert Gator 25t Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Grass No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
26 SonOfMaelstrom2 32 TA04 Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 25t GT Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac It was wet.    
27 MontyMole 32 TT-02B Plasma Edge II Hobbywing XERUN Justock 13.5T Brushless Sensored 7.2V NiMH Dirt No - the track surface was clear and dry.   8.24s
28 MontyMole 31 Terra Scorcher 25t Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Gravel No - the track surface was clear and dry.   8.35s
  • Like 3

Awesome, looks like I've got a fair bit of work to do to catch up with those at the top of the table!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toad16v said:

Awesome, looks like I've got a fair bit of work to do to catch up with those at the top of the table!

Don't read too much into the positions on the table - we are all running different cars and power plants. Rather think of it this way: you drove the fastest 21t TT-01, and therefore won your class. Well done! 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow! Congrats to everyone! Glad to see that I wasn't that bad at all this round, at least not miles away from the top runners. But@Ferruz 49 laps with a Manta Ray in the rain is pretty amazing!

Looking forward to the next round!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Don't read too much into the positions on the table - we are all running different cars and power plants. Rather think of it this way: you drove the fastest 21t TT-01, and therefore won your class. Well done! 😃

Totally agreed, first time i was on the top, but about the result, that depends on every's configuration car. Congrats to @ryback with is configuration than mine. 

I was surprise about the amount of NiMH  than LiPo battery. 

And thanks a lot for this session, still very interesting to run without synchronisation. 

• Like 1

Wow, can't believe my eyes 😃 I was a bit on fire on that rainy round, mostly since for once I got the right drift feeling on the hairpin turns which did help the flow, but I would have never expected to get up there with the big names!! For what is worth of course, since like mentioned above we all run different cars and setups on different surfaces!

And anyway congrats everybody! It's good to see there's still interest in the activity, with plenty of entries from different cars and track terrain which is always fun to compare. Cheers

• Like 1

With a 4-way tie at the top, picking the next track is going to be fun! I chose the last one though, so I am happy to leave this one up to @ryback, @Charles M and @Ferruz to choose.

Everyone is of course welcome to put forward their suggestions from which the selection can be made!

1 hour ago, Snickelfritz245 said:

Happy with my 13th though as its my first time around a set circuit and my first on road car.

That's great going! Well done!

On 4/29/2021 at 3:58 PM, Charles M said:

Some ideas on Tamiya Radio Controlled Guide Book

20210429235123-90d7dbd8-me.jpg

Still some inspiration on this page of Tamiya RC Guide Book.   Maybe we can adapt the "Parcours Compliqués" (Complex Track)  with U turn and Slalom. 

On 6/3/2021 at 7:23 AM, Charles M said:

Still some inspiration on this page of Tamiya RC Guide Book.   Maybe we can adapt the "Parcours Compliqués" (Complex Track)  with U turn and Slalom. 

The one at the botom right is not compatible with my habit of having a beer or two while racing around the back yard. Which way do I go now? Left? Right? Around? You spin me right round baby like a record baby right round round round...

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

The one at the botom right is not compatible with my habit of having a beer or two while racing around the back yard. Which way do I go now? Left? Right? Around? You spin me right round baby like a record baby right round round round...

Me too.

After some thinking I came up with this idea for a possible track. Little slamom, a hairpin turn, 5m×6m. Needless to say, it can be adapted and modified. What do you guys think?

20210605-145105.jpg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Ferruz said:

After some thinking I came up with this idea for a possible track. Little slamom, a hairpin turn, 5m×6m. Needless to say, it can be adapted and modified. What do you guys think?

20210605-145105.jpg

I don't mind that at all 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was pretty pleased with only 1 lap behind the other tt-01e and my Xv-01 did OK. Got some tyres and done some tuning so hopefully the Xv-01 will be more road friendly for me, just me that needs tuning now and I'm a bit old and broken for that so no hope there 🤣