TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 45 takes us to Anderstorp!

Just managed to do a few more runs, albeit with the Hornet in total chill out mode while the Manta relaxed on the back seat for a change. I drove her as well today, but the Postal track has been all for the Hornet which also managed a personal best :lol: driving it on wet grass with slick tires and a 15T motor really does keep me on edge! Surprisingly swift in the hairpin turns, if only it could go straight for a single meter!!! Lol

• Like 2

So great to run this Weekend with my XV01. I improve my times. 

But Freshly and fully charge my NIMH Battery is better for power ( and need to handle it ) , but for the second and third round, i make very good times too. 

I've finish my front Tires ( from AliExpress ) on the Rear, but now is too much oversteering ! 

I don't know if 4x4 need to have 4 sames tires. After some Boilling Bath, I remove the old tires, but i don't know if I make a mix of tires. 

Some advices ? 

10535698_WhatsAppImage2021-04-18at15_45_32.thumb.jpeg.aa15bbf5a55d88e0ed54100412bf5bd0.jpegI

• Like 3

Had another two goes tonight, this time with my terra scorcher. Got about a 10% improvement. Not sure if it is the car/setup/tyres, familiarity with the track or I was just less rubbish. Need to try it again with my hornet now.

• Like 2

Got a few more runs in yesterday and today. Both the Hornet and the Manta Ray improved their lap count, the Boss did same as before. Having the time to get accustomed to the track is great, I never had the chance to get so many runs in before and it sure makes a difference. I hope to try out another car or two before the round ends next weekend.

• Like 1

Just realized I've forgotten to submit my cars' results 😅

@TurnipJF I've used the form you've provided (new to me) and it works great, thanks for doing this! I may have inadvertently submitted a result twice, if that's the case sorry about that lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

Just realized I've forgotten to submit my cars' results 😅

@TurnipJF I've used the form you've provided (new to me) and it works great, thanks for doing this! I may have inadvertently submitted a result twice, if that's the case sorry about that lol

Not a problem. I'll check for duplicates before I post the final outcome. 

Don't forget: Round 10 ends at midnight GMT on Sunday!

• Like 2

Oh LORD!! 😲  I'm hoping to get out at least one more time. I only got out once.  I hope you have those results. It was at the beginning.

I'm buried chest deep into my latest Build! I've dreamt about a Tamiya Semi Truck since 1997.... and I feel it deserves my full attention. 😉

Doesn't mean that I'm not keeping an eye open for your Posts and Builds!! 👊

I've run my TT-02B, running a brushless motor and with some hop-ups, believing a more modern design would beat my results with my other car, a Terra Scorcher on a plain Torque Tuned. Well, I've been disproven: I wonder what are the precise factors (the motor might be one, maybe it's a bit too much), but seriously, it was not pleasant to drive. Maybe tomorrow I'll try with the same tyres in the same location with the other car, just to compare. Regarding tyres, by the way, they are the stock spiked you get with the TT-02B. Should I glue them? Are inserts required, or are just a nice plus given the tyre itself is quite hard already?

• Like 1

My dad finally finished my new controller and I've been trying to change all my receivers but won't get it done so I'm hoping to submit something I can get done tomorrow ,fingers crossed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MontyMole said:

I've run my TT-02B, running a brushless motor and with some hop-ups, believing a more modern design would beat my results with my other car, a Terra Scorcher on a plain Torque Tuned. Well, I've been disproven: I wonder what are the precise factors (the motor might be one, maybe it's a bit too much), but seriously, it was not pleasant to drive. Maybe tomorrow I'll try with the same tyres in the same location with the other car, just to compare. Regarding tyres, by the way, they are the stock spiked you get with the TT-02B. Should I glue them? Are inserts required, or are just a nice plus given the tyre itself is quite hard already?

Interesting - I found my brushless TT-02B to be even quicker than my brushed Thundershot, which uses the same basic chassis as the Terra Scorcher as you probably know. Perhaps not as dramatic to watch as it lacked the body roll of the 'Shot, but certainly faster, both in a straight line and around the corners.

In my case both cars were running identical tyres and inserts on wheels that were identical apart from the colour. It will be interesting to read about your tests tomorrow with both cars on the same tyres.

I use glued aftermarket tyres on my cars for the postal races, but when using the stock ones for general driving, I typically don't glue them unless they try to part company with the rims or slip under acceleration. It makes it easier to clean them, dry them and eventually replace them if they wear out. I also typically don't bother with inserts because, as you say, the tyres seem quite hard enough to support themselves without them.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nicksincrc said:

My dad finally finished my new controller and I've been trying to change all my receivers but won't get it done so I'm hoping to submit something I can get done tomorrow ,fingers crossed 

Good luck! Hope you manage to get something submitted. If not, there is always next round!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MontyMole said:

My Terra Scorcher with a Carson Cup Machine motor came out even with my Dark Impact with Sport tuned motor. Better tyres on the Dark Impact may have changed things a little, but I think it was too quick in a way, was difficult to get the speed down enough to get the turns. Might try the centre one way in the Dark Impact to see if the sharp cornering can be improved.

I guess the Terra Scorcher was a pretty solid design back in the day, and modern, cheaper designs might struggle to match it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toad16v said:

My Terra Scorcher with a Carson Cup Machine motor came out even with my Dark Impact with Sport tuned motor. Better tyres on the Dark Impact may have changed things a little, but I think it was too quick in a way, was difficult to get the speed down enough to get the turns. Might try the centre one way in the Dark Impact to see if the sharp cornering can be improved.

I guess the Terra Scorcher was a pretty solid design back in the day, and modern, cheaper designs might struggle to match it?

I think it's just because my TT-02B, right now, it's a kind of a mess setup wise: sure, it's got FRP shock mounts, a brushless motor and universals, but the shocks are cheap rubbish and their length affected the camber and toe in adjustements I did back when I had the shorter shocks. Adjustments I never bothered to fix because I don't like to fiddle with Tamiya's turnbuckles, that little 5mm nut is a pain.

I got some more runs in the evening. Our course is quite challenging with some quite bumpy surfaces. It only just fits in our back yard, with one end constrained by the wife's flower pots, the other end is close to the car-eating Hedge Of Death. I managed to improve my laps with the TT02B, beating the laps I did with the Comical Hornet. It would have been embarrasing for the TT02B to be beaten by the Comical. I even tried a few laps with the Lunch Box Mini, but it really struggled with the grass and just kept doing wheelies unless you where super-gentle with the throttle. Was fun to see it trundling about though, it was fairly stable when going downhill and managed to get a bit of speed up.  The last run with the Comical Hornet before it got too dark was cut short by the clothes line - I hit it hard enough to throw the steering out of whack, so that was it for the evening. Photo of track to show the awkward conditions, including the Hedge Of Death.

IMG_1341.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, MontyMole said:

I'm feeling like I've underestimated the TT-02B! It's not the best Off-Road Buggy... But its disadvantage of poor ground clearance might make it excellent at Rally Type Racing! 😳

I may have to get one of those.

35 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

I'm feeling like I've underestimated the TT-02B! It's not the best Off-Road Buggy... But its disadvantage of poor ground clearance might make it excellent at Rally Type Racing! 😳

I may have to get one of those.

In stock form it isn't the most impressive model, but there are a great many upgrades available that allow one to address the majority of its shortcomings and turn it into a very effective postal racing weapon. Even with loads of upgrades, it isn't the greatest of jumpers due to its layout, but on courses with no jumps like those we race in the postals, it does very well indeed!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

In stock form it isn't the most impressive model, but there are a great many upgrades available that allow one to address the majority of its shortcomings and turn it into a very effective postal racing weapon. Even with loads of upgrades, it isn't the greatest of jumpers due to its layout, but on courses with no jumps like those we race in the postals, it does very well indeed!

I figured that it wasn't going to burn up the Track in Buggy competition.... But given its unique layout and low slung Chassis, it's got to be a winner on a flat Track!!

Welp, my testing to see if my lap counts with the Terra Scorcher were a fluke went belly up. First try with the Plasma Edge tyres, the car stopped presumably due to the ESC going in protection mode (the motor was quite hot). Fine, second try, same tyres, but the 15t pinion from the kit. Same thing. I guess the larger wheels, while cool looking, add strain to the motor. Last one, with the kit wheels, goes well until the lower mount pops off the shock shaft of one of the front dampers. Now I get why the bright yellow color, it does make easier to find the parts when they fly off. Now I fixed It, and put a drop of thread lock just in case, but I hope it's not an issue with the thread inside the mount getting worn. I wonder if I can repurpose the CVAs from my TT-02B worst comes worst; I think with the shorter mount they are quite similar in length?

Oh, well, all and all, it has been a learning experience.

• Like 2

I just got my first real driving experience at the "wheel" of my vintage Edinger RC10.

Wow, just WOW!

The car is a thrill to drive, almost addictive. After 5 minutes it felt like I've always driven it, so intuitive. And that dramatic body roll while cornering... I'm in love ^_^.

20210425-143107.jpg

Rims and tires aside, the car is in absolute stock configuration. The old AE offroad stock motor definitely feels quite... sleepy, and a hotter one will be a must now that the car is finally active. I think I'll try to find a vintage 19T or something, to keep it more or less period correct.

Anyway, even in stock configuration, with a motor that has likely fought his big battles before I was even born, the RC10 won over the Hornet by 4 solid laps, with only a fraction of the power. I know I shouldn't even dream of comparing those two cars, but that's also why it's fun: one all handling and no power, the other NO handling and overpowered 🤪

Also, worth noting, the RC10's best result is only 7 laps under my super hopped up Manta Ray. It will be very interesting to see what this car will be able to do with modern electronics and a hotter motor.

20210425-143051.jpg

Anyway, good luck to everybody for the last few hours of this round! Have fun

• Like 3

Somehow I managed to actually participate this time (which meets my personal challenge, just barely), except with a Traxxas :ph34r: and on bumpy grass instead of smooth, predictable tarmac...

I won't go into the racer's excuses, but for many reasons the Hawk buggy was the only car I was able to drive this round (not that that's a bad thing)

It's wearing the same tires that were on the Blackfoot when we last did this course in Round 6, but due to the better chassis layout and more confident handling, it managed to nearly match the Blackfoot's tarmac result!

It's so much fun to slide this car around, and the "fast" battery makes a big difference... never seen wheelies from it before! (the far pic is a jump due to an "abrupt" tuft of grass)

wheelie_01.jpg

wheelie_02.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to all who entered - I'll get the results posted shortly.

In the meantime, please start thinking about the track layout that you'd like to see for the next round. The winner gets to choose the layout, but everyone is encouraged to submit suggestions from which the choice can be made.

Position: Username: Laps: Car: Motor: Battery: Surface: Modifiers: Weight (optional): Fastest lap (optional):
1 TurnipJF 49 TT-02 Type S 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac
No - the track surface was clear and dry.

2 TurnipJF 49 TT-02B Neo Scorcher 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac

3 TurnipJF 48 F103RS "W" body 21.5t Trackstar 2S LiPo Tarmac

4 TurnipJF 47 M-08 Mazda MX-5 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac

5 Carmine A 47 FF-03 Pro Civic 15T Reedy Brushed 3S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1334g 6.10 seconds
6 Charlesmerlen 46 XV01 Super Stock TZ 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Little Bit Dusty   6.08s
7 TurnipJF 45 DT-02 Desert Gator 13.5t Bluebottle 2S LiPo Tarmac

8 TurnipJF 45 DT-03T Aqroshot 10.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac

9 Carmine A 45 TT-02S SM RRRR GT4 Mustang 17T Reedy Brushed 3S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1531g 6.34 seconds
10 TurnipJF 43 TT-01 Evo VI Rally 13.5t Bluebottle 2S LiPo Tarmac

11 Ferruz 41 DF01 Manta Ray 13.5T Bluebottle 7.2V NiMH Grass It was damp.   7.06 s
12 Maelstrom 37 TT-02 Petronas MB SLS 25t Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac
No - the track surface was clear and dry., slope

13 Ministrone 36 Tamiya Mini Cooper M-01 540 Silver can 2S LiPo Tarmac

14 Maelstrom 36 TA-04 Loctite Zexel GT-R 25t GT Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac
No - the track surface was clear and dry., slope

15 MontyMole 34 Terra Scorcher 25t Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Grass It was sandy.    
16 Toad16v 34 Terra Scorcher 25T Carson Cup motor 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1560  
17 Toad16v 34 Df03 Dark impact 23T sport tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1624  
18 Ferruz 34 Team Associated RC10 Associated Off-Road Stock 7.2V NiMH Grass It was wet.    
19 Ministrone 33 Tamiya Avante 25t GT Tuned 2S LiPo Tarmac

20 nicksincrc 32 mardave street 10, protoform ms7 21t silver can 4.8v Nimh Tarmac dusty    
21 Ferruz 30 Hornet 15T HPI Firebolt 7.2V NiMH Grass It was damp.    
22 MontyMole 29 TT-02B Plasma Edge 2 Hobbywing XERUN Justock 13.5T Brushless Sensored 7.2V NiMH Grass It was sandy.    
23 c64orinoco 29 TT02B Neo Scorcher 17.5T Brushless Tamiya TBML-02 7.2V NiMH Grass
medium grass length, 0.5m crossfall, concrete paths, Hedge Of Death at one end.

24 Ferruz 28 Kyosho Big Boss car crusher Kyosho Le Mans 05 stock 7.2V NiMH Grass It was damp.    
25 El Gecko 28 Traxxas Hawk buggy Slot Machine 7.2V NiMH Grass Very rough/bumpy ground 1843  
26 Maelstrom 28 DT-02 Desert Gator 25t Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Grass

27 CharlesMerlen 28 DT03 Racing Fighter 25t Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Grass
With Jump after the Half Turn

28 TurnipJF 27 TT-01D Silvia S15 13.5t Bluebottle 2S LiPo Tarmac

29 c64orinoco 24 Comical Hornet silver can 7.2V NiMH Grass bumpy tufts of grass    
30 TurnipJF 23 WR-02CB Farm King 27t Silver Can 2S LiPo Tarmac

31 c64orinoco 21 TT02B Neo Scorcher 17t brushless 7.2V NiMH Grass / concrete
Very bumpy track with Hedge of Death at one end.

32 TurnipJF 20 CC-01 Mitsubishi Pajero Metaltop Wide 55t Etronix 2S LiPo Tarmac

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

**** i forgot to send my Results  :-(

[EDIT] Just send my Results with XV01 and DT03.