TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

Finally managed to try out the new course. I think simple fits me - very enjoyable! This was the first time I used my TA05, with 17,5 brushless and the running body I've just finished so as not to damage the shelf Esso Ultraflo Supra body.

Tamiya TA-05

Next time same car but with a lipo battery, I'm interested to see if there will be a difference in the lap count.

• Like 1

I have a couple of days off coming up, so weather permitting I'm going to have a serious attempt at a podium with my TB-03. I have been getting more track time with my TT-02 Type S recently than I have with my TB-03, and it has been doing really well, but on paper the TB-03 ought to be even quicker. Once I get back into the hang of driving it that is...

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

I have a couple of days off coming up, so weather permitting I'm going to have a serious attempt at a podium with my TB-03.

I’d best stick to the Beach & racing on sand then for a wooden spoon hat-trick 😉

Wow, after just running around the yard for fun, this course suddenly requires a LOT of finesse! :lol:  

12 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

Wow, after just running around the yard for fun, this course suddenly requires a LOT of finesse! :lol:  

It looks so easy, doesn't it? I didn't get a run in last weekend due to rain; this weekend looks fine though so I want to try to beat what I have already set so far. I was happy with the run I did with the Neo Scorcher, the Comical Hornet could be better. 

On 7/14/2021 at 5:31 PM, SlideWRX said:

I agree. I did at least 10 runs within the past two weeks, and only a couple times did I manage to get a good flow. My track being on a bit of an incline doesn't help either, lol, I'd love to try it out on a fresh, level slab of concrete but it's way too crowded everywhere these days. Nice course anyway, pretty challenging!

Hi, anyone have experience of mounting foam tyres with tape? Can anyone recommend a good tape for the job, trying to mount the foam tyres on my vintage mardave mini and prefer not to glue them on 

8 hours ago, nicksincrc said:

Hi, anyone have experience of mounting foam tyres with tape? Can anyone recommend a good tape for the job, trying to mount the foam tyres on my vintage mardave mini and prefer not to glue them on 

Double sided carpet tape works fine. Used that when restoring my mate's Mardave, tyres are still in place two years down the line. 

Is there a link to the scoring spreadsheet? I've got a couple of results I need to enter.

1 hour ago, c64orinoco said:

Is there a link to the scoring spreadsheet? I've got a couple of results I need to enter.

I've used the old link to submit my results, the last one Turnip posted for last month's competition, assuming it would work.

I was hoping to get a lot runs in this time but the hot weather and I hurt my neck so just one session of any use 🙄

So I am quite pleased to have been able to get one lousy go at it this month, since we had a new baby just two weeks ago! It was raining (monsoon season here...) and our toddler was running in the middle of the track most of the 5 min but it felt great to be driving the TT.

I was experimenting with the rear camber link mod and the car felt really planted, so the less than stellar number of laps is not the car's fault :D

Also like others have mentioned for this month's track, it's a lot trickier than it seems, especially the tighter end of the eight, but very rewarding when you get a couple of smooth laps in a row!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

https://forms.gle/1xzhEZAPsWDeez6D8 is the link to the results entry form. We use the same one each round - I just reset it each time a new round starts. 

5 hours ago, nicksincrc said:

I was hoping to get a lot runs in this time but the hot weather and I hurt my neck so just one session of any use 🙄

One is better than none. Hope your neck is better soon!

7 hours ago, Ferruz said:

I've used the old link to submit my results, the last one Turnip posted for last month's competition, assuming it would work.

That is correct - the link remains the same for each round. It is on the first post of the thread if you ever need a reminder. 👍

• Like 2

And thus concludes another round! Thanks to everyone who entered. I'll get the results collated and posted this evening after work. 

Excellent, @TurnipJF! I think I got my results in just in time. Silly of me to totally miss the link on the first post, I might need some new eyes. Or better reading glasses.

20 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

It was raining (monsoon season here...)

Same here! No results this time, just a few practice runs on the grass with no timer. It was a fun track though!

Here we go:

Position Username Lap count Car Motor Battery Running surface Surface modifiers? (Optional) Running weight (Optional) Best lap
1 Maelstrom 74 TA-05 17.5t sensored brushless 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Slope    
2 TurnipJF 72 TB-03 Arta Garaiya 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac
No - the track surface was clear and dry.

3 Ferruz 70 DF-01 Manta Ray 13.5t Bluebottle 7.2V NiMH Tarmac was cracked and part of the track on a slight incline It was dusty.    
4 TurnipJF 69 DF-01 Manta Ray 25t GT Tuned 2S LiPo Tarmac

5 nicksincrc 65 xv-01 lancia delta 21t core rc 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1633g 3.71s
6 nicksincrc 64 tt-01e mercedes sls amg 21t core rc 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1593g 3.62s
7 Ferruz 59 Hornet 15t HPI Thunderbolt 7.2V NiMH Tarmac was cracked and part of the track on a slight incline It was dusty    
8 Pylon80 59 TT-02 RWD with Porsche 911 RSR body Sport Tuned 2S LiPo Concrete
It was damp., A toddler was in the way :)

9 Maelstrom 56 LRP S10 Twister truggy 21.5t sensored brushless 7.2V NiMH Grass

10 c64orinoco 48 TT02B Neo Scorcher 17t brushless 7.2V NiMH Grass and concrete

11 TurnipJF 43 WR-02G Farm King 27t Etronix 2S LiPo Tarmac

12 SlideWRX 39 DT-03 Neo Fighter Buggy Stock Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac
  5.84s
13 c64orinoco 38 Comical Hornet silver can 540 7.2V NiMH Grass and concrete

• Like 4

Wow! I've just spent the last ten minutes checking the track layout to see if I did anything wrong and then asking my wife if she believes that I could have repeatedly miscounted my laps!

I did get a lot more practice in this month due to being on holiday. I also used the TA05 which has a vastly more powerful motor and is a much smoother drive than my stock class TT-02, so I'm sure that helped. I didn't hurt that I remembered the deadline this month, too!

I am extremely chuffed and will celebrate the moment, knowing that it will likely never come again. Many thanks again @TurnipJF for all the trouble you go to so that we can have so much fun!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Anybody got any thoughts as to what layout we should run for Round 14?

12 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Anybody got any thoughts as to what layout we should run for Round 14?

I am lucky to have tons of space but I'm thinking of those with only their garden or a side street available (not sure if there are still lockdowns in Europe). Would anyone enjoy a long/narrow layout like some sort of slalom with a hairpin turn on both ends? Very humble suggestion coming from someone with limited experience but lots of enthusiasm for this postal racing.

On 7/28/2021 at 3:41 PM, Pylon80 said:

I am lucky to have tons of space but I'm thinking of those with only their garden or a side street available (not sure if there are still lockdowns in Europe). Would anyone enjoy a long/narrow layout like some sort of slalom with a hairpin turn on both ends? Very humble suggestion coming from someone with limited experience but lots of enthusiasm for this postal racing.

I'm up for a slalom.