TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

15 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

pretty sure I'll be able to participate this time. Oh and I'm totally into doing the real circuits miniature thing!

Hoping I'll be able to join in again this round as well. Life has been getting in the way lately.

This is about the best site I've found for track layouts https://www.racingcircuits.info/

I like how they have all the variations of each track, including smaller or little-known tracks--and some that don't exist anymore! (Check out the 1936 drunk octopus version) https://www.racingcircuits.info/north-america/usa/roosevelt-raceway.html

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give it some thought and get a track layout posted in time for the weekend. 👍

3 hours ago, Ferruz said:

There's some RC stuff going on in QC, there are a few indoor tracks for drifting and I saw on Google there are some dirt tracks too, but it all seems to be short course track/modern nitro buggies oriented so I didn't go yet. I am into vintage/rere electric RC and would join a club or a race today if only there were any in my area.

I was recently on Prince Edward Island for a trip, and even there they had an off road course with monthly Tamiya vintage races! On an island, and not in Montreal with 4 millions people... meh! What's the situation where you are? I used to go to the US a lot for work, wasn't doing any RC activity back then so didn't notice. Cheers!

Well here it *seems* like off-road is the big trendy thing and on-road (my only interest...) is a bit more difficult. There's a group of very experienced racers putting together and stripping a track same day once a week, but that's strictly for racing with no practice and of course you have to pay, which is normal and spend all day there which is probably normal given how they operate. The only beginner friendly racing class is VTA which doesn't do it for me. Just not the kind of dream cars I grew up with, at all. They say Dodge Charger and I say Golf VR6 😆

With the kids now I have to limit myself to running the cars when I can, sometimes late at night etc. This month for instance it didn't work.

I miss a permanent track that I could just go practice at for an hour or so then go home, like I had back in Japan. That was fun!

I hope I can join Postal next month. I'll try real hard 😠

• Like 2

Here we go - for our next round, we have a simplified Autodromo Nazionale Monza in miniature:

2021-10-01_10-27-13

I did a few practice runs on it this evening, and it seems to work nicely.

Round 16 will run until midnight GMT on Sunday 31 October. Rules as per Post 1 of the thread. Hope everyone has fun!

• Like 7

Nice! Monza, an autodromo from back home, I really can't wait for this one. I was expecting a steel pinion to be delivered last week, then yesterday and now I'm told it was lost. Applied for the refund and ordered it again at the same time, this weekend it's raining hopelessly anyway. hope to be able to spin some postal wheels within the next two.

Once again, really loving this idea of the miniature tracks 😃

Have fun everybody

• Like 1

Cool 👍🏻 Didn’t get out for the last round so hopefully get some track time on this one 🏎

First attempt with my lovely Blackfoot, sun shinning, car ready. Let's give some spins ?!

QtRewt6.jpg

That was fun, I found a pretty good spot to test my new inserts. The grass was a bit wet, we got some heavy rain yesterday,  floor covered with oak nuts. It definitely add some challenge :D.

But everything goes well, this is one of my favorite car to chill and have a good time.

Thanks for the track, I may give much more try later. :)

• Like 4

Well the steel pinion for the Manta Ray didn't come, but neither did the rain, so I though I'd set up the Terra Scorcher instead and head off to Monza!

A few minutes with the leaf leaf blower helped clear the leaves off the lane for the course, and here we go.

It's the first time I drive my Terra Scorcher in anger in a terrain different than snow, and I'm very happy with it. It's quite a capable buggy, glad I finally went over my OCD and took it out! I ended up doing both runs in the dark, so hope to find the time to do more in the day tomorrow.

20211003-183102.jpg

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

@Frog Jumper thank you Sir!

Hence the hesitation to drive it :ph34r: but it feels right, that's what they're made for :rolleyes:

Lol!  I was gun-shy with my Dragon, but now that I’ve run it a few times, I’m not so scared.

I think I have the same generic Chinese tires you do. I love them on the loose dirt on our local ball field.

Enjoy the drive!!!

• Like 2

Marked it out and drove it with the xv01, tt01e and terra scorcher tonight. Can definitely improve on the lap count with practice but at least I have some laps to enter this month.

• Like 2

First attempt with my Subaru.

Dirt with gravels, that was not that easy, some big rocks. For sure, driving on that type of terrain need some pratice and avoid to squeeze too mutch the trigger. Need to be more gentle.

spacer.png

Definilty gonna give another try later. :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Goudar said:

First attempt with my Subaru.

Dirt with gravels, that was not that easy, some big rocks. For sure, driving on that type of terrain need some pratice and avoid to squeeze too mutch the trigger. Need to be more gentle.

spacer.png

Definilty gonna give another try later. :)

is that the correct way around ? I've been practicing the other way as Monza is an anti-clockwise circuit isn't it ? :wacko:

44 minutes ago, nicksincrc said:

is that the correct way around ? I've been practicing the other way as Monza is an anti-clockwise circuit isn't it ? :wacko:

Yup, clockwise is correct for Monza.

5 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

oops lol Good job i didn't do any timed runs 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

I second that, Monza is indeed clockwise :)

So I managed to get out today and put a few runs in and practice with my M05, when I got home to clean it up I noticed the outside of the left front was a little grainy (not surprising as it's doing most of the work ) medium shimizu. Any suggestions to prevent it ?thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nicksincrc said:

So I managed to get out today and put a few runs in and practice with my M05, when I got home to clean it up I noticed the outside of the left front was a little grainy (not surprising as it's doing most of the work ) medium shimizu. Any suggestions to prevent it ?thanks

A thin layer of superglue on the sidewall might do the trick. 

I managed to put a few runs in with the Manta Ray these last couple days. A couple factors did heavily penalize its performance, so I can't make it a fair comparison with the Terra Scorcher.

The first penalizing thing were the batteries, all of them: they're fine with my brushed motors and the Terra's more forgiving brushless, but they just can't seem to cope with the bluebottle's power demands anymore. It's a couple mins max of full power, and then it's cut in half and even starts cogging at times. A couple new batteries will be on the way soon!

Second factor, once again the tires have pretty much zero life left in them :D so the aforementioned two mins of power get squandered into eccessive powerslides and attempts to keep the buggy under control. So, new expendable wheels and tires are also on the way!

Nevertheless, the Manta managed a PB of only two laps less than the Scorchy,so not too bad.

The Terra Scorcher was a good sport and came out to cheer, even though it was the Manta's turn this time. The Hornet is the official pace car ☺

20211011-172205.jpg

These tires have seen better days 

20211012-122829.jpg20211012-122905.jpg

• Like 3

@Ferruz I use my Terra Scorcher as a trail opener, rather than my TT-02B. Even if it's a vintage (well, it's the rerelease, but point is that spares are not that available), it's reasonably rugged, quite capable for the kind of tracks we are doing here (no jumps and low turn motors) and it's a lot easier to clean up, due to the higher ground clearance.

• Like 1

@MontyMole the Terra Scorcher is a capable buggy, indeed. I find it more stable and overall easier to handle than my Manta Ray, even if I don't drive is as nearly as often. I wonder how much difference the front and rear stabilizers actually make. Apparently, quite a bit.

• Like 1