TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

Not yet. I'll give it another few days, but if it doesn't look like we'll be getting any proposals, I'll make an executive decision and put up a track layout myself before the weekend so that we can get the next round underway. (Most likely based on @Pylon80's slalom suggestion.) 👍

• Like 2

Sorry people, I don't seem to be very good at coming up with ideas for a track design we haven't had yet. I'm all for a slalom course as well if anyone comes up with something. On the other hand, maybe for the round after next, I personally missed the first seven racing by post tracks, so I wouldn't mind repeating one of those (Round 3 looks good, for instance).

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

Sorry people, I don't seem to be very good at coming up with ideas for a track design we haven't had yet. I'm all for a slalom course as well if anyone comes up with something. On the other hand, maybe for the round after next, I personally missed the first seven racing by post tracks, so I wouldn't mind repeating one of those (Round 3 looks good, for instance).

Nowt wrong with repeating tracks. It isn't like "proper" race tracks have their layouts changed after each race day, or even each season. If you would like to pick Round 3's track to do again, it is your prerogative to do so. 

I agree @TurnipJF nothing wrong with repeating tracks! Which btw has been done already a few rounds back, if I remember correctly. Have been a bit busy lately hence my lack of contribution to design a track. Also my main car is stuck due to the loss of a silly circlip, anyway good to go with any course. Cheers 

• Like 1

Just a suggestion, thought of this in between pulling for a cuppa and reaching my destination, sorry no dimension’s on there a bit flat out with work, on the Slalom theme…

A90FAF85-8DAE-450F-9704-9DDABC1FCF66.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

Just a suggestion, thought of this in between pulling for a cuppa and reaching my destination, sorry no dimension’s on there a bit flat out with work, on the Slalom theme…

A90FAF85-8DAE-450F-9704-9DDABC1FCF66.jpg

I'm afraid my brains would be thermalling way before my ESC on this one 🤯😆

• Haha 2

Thanks @Re-Bugged for proposing something. How about a bit of a straightaway somewhere to allow the brain to cool off each lap? :)

I did a run two days ago with my lovely Blackfoot and I tried something like this one.

photo_2021-08-03_01-34-06.jpg

• Like 2

Over another cuppa at home, I’m thinking my 1st circuit could be be a bit heavy on tyres on one side. So incorporating a figure 8, slalom, straight and not to many bends for the Canadian team to remember😉

FA2726D1-A05A-4582-B9CB-7766F30DF9AC.jpg

Talking of memory though and the fact I haven’t raced every time, it’s probably a track that my have been done before?? 

Anyway it’s not set in stone and always open to any suggestions, so we’ll see what the general consensus is.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Over another cuppa at home, I’m thinking my 1st circuit could be be a bit heavy on tyres on one side. So incorporating a figure 8, slalom, straight and not to many bends for the Canadian team to remember😉

Talking of memory though and the fact I haven’t raced every time, it’s probably a track that my have been done before?? 

Anyway it’s not set in stone and always open to any suggestions, so we’ll see what the general consensus is.

That looks manageable, and it fits in my yard. 

6 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

The slalom cones add up to 3M; was that intended? instead of four?  or is it 2m between the middle ones? :)

@Re-Bugged really like your track! I just had a go on the lawn and the slalom part is very tight, so how about a slight modification? 1,5 m between the markers instead of 1m - 2m - 1m, something like this:

Racing by post

What do you think?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

@Re-Bugged really like your track! I just had a go on the lawn and the slalom part is very tight, so how about a slight modification? 1,5 m between the markers instead of 1m - 2m - 1m, something like this:

What do you think?

I like it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

The slalom cones add up to 3M; was that intended? instead of four?  or is it 2m between the middle ones? :)

Yeah it was. 2m middle as you have go through it for the straight bit. 

3 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Racing by post

What do you think?

Cool by me it was only a rough outline using a tape in the dining room 👍🏻

3 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

I like it!

😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Yeah it was. 2m middle as you have go through it for the straight bit. 

Cool by me it was only a rough outline using a tape in the dining room 👍🏻

😁

Good point about the middle being a smidge wider. Can we just do 1.5m/2m/1.5m to make it a little faster/fun when you have to pass through the middle? Sorry I sound fussy even to myself :)

• Like 1

I’m happy with the 5m overall length if it’s good for others to fit it in where they need to 👍🏻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Shall we go with this for round 14 then?

As the fastest driver of Round 13, that's your call. Just say the word and I'll open up the results sheet for Round 14.

Excellent! Race on!

Round 14 lasts until midnight GMT on Sunday 29 August. Track as above, same rules as usual - check the first post of the thread if you need a reminder.

Good luck everyone! Hope you all have fun!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Getting slowly better at the slalom.  It made me remember to "turn before the turn" to really get the groove of the slalom.  When I built the car a couple months ago, I purposely built it 'as-is', including the radio setup.  Do just what it says in the instructions and go!  These tight tracks really make you go back and check settings. I wasn't really getting acceleration until about 10% pull, so I adjusted that trim to start.  Full throttle wasn't giving me much more on the straight than about half throttle, and just making the corner harder, so for now I set it down to ~60% endpoint, and some exponential to give me slower speed control while I learn the slalom.  I can adjust that back up as I go.  Double checked the steering, and set endpoints to 90% so the servo wasn't just straining to push that last 10%, where the upright was hitting the limiter.  Gotta say modern radios are awesome! just a basic GT-3C.

The Laptrax app is EDIT:"good enough" too.  Took a bit to figure out the setup, but it works well.  I'm using a 6 year old fire tablet, that wasn't that good 6 years ago, and laptrax is handling it fine. EDIT:Well, Laptrax works more than half of the time.  I used some software tricks to remove/disable a lot of other software on this tablet to minimize interference from other apps, and it still has problems.  It has straight up locked the tablet up a couple times, requiring a reboot.

IMG_0805_1.thumb.jpg.86dd9e9b84c86d854c3160ccc5111c49.jpg

I set the track across my driveway, to use the grass as a braking zone.  As I get the slalom down better I may rotate the layout to stay on the tarmac/asphalt.  It may not look like it, but my tablet setup is dangerously close to the slalom line. :lol:  The thing zip tied to the bracket is a battery powered speaker, so I could hear it ding for each lap when my neighbor was mowing his lawn.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

Getting slowly better at the slalom.  It made me remember to "turn before the turn" to really get the groove of the slalom.  When I built the car a couple months ago, I purposely built it 'as-is', including the radio setup.  Do just what it says in the instructions and go!  These tight tracks really make you go back and check settings. I wasn't really getting acceleration until about 10% pull, so I adjusted that trim to start.  Full throttle wasn't giving me much more on the straight than about half throttle, and just making the corner harder, so for now I set it down to ~60% endpoint, and some exponential to give me slower speed control while I learn the slalom.  I can adjust that back up as I go.  Double checked the steering, and set endpoints to 90% so the servo wasn't just straining to push that last 10%, where the upright was hitting the limiter.  Gotta say modern radios are awesome! just a basic GT-3C.

The Laptrax app is great too.  Took a bit to figure out the setup, but it works well.  I'm using a 6 year old fire tablet, that wasn't that good 6 years ago, and laptrax is handling it fine.IMG_0805_1.thumb.jpg.86dd9e9b84c86d854c3160ccc5111c49.jpg

I set the track across my driveway, to use the grass as a braking zone.  As I get the slalom down better I may rotate the layout to stay on the tarmac/asphalt.  It may not look like it, but my tablet setup is dangerously close to the slalom line. :lol:  The thing zip tied to the bracket is a battery powered speaker, so I could hear it ding for each lap when my neighbor was mowing his lawn.

Which chassis are you using?