TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

On 6/5/2021 at 7:57 PM, Ferruz said:

After some thinking I came up with this idea for a possible track. Little slamom, a hairpin turn, 5m×6m. Needless to say, it can be adapted and modified. What do you guys think?

20210605-145105.jpg

Looks good to me!

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 2:57 PM, Ferruz said:

After some thinking I came up with this idea for a possible track. Little slamom, a hairpin turn, 5m×6m. Needless to say, it can be adapted and modified. What do you guys think?

20210605-145105.jpg

6 hours ago, Snickelfritz245 said:

I quite like @Ferruz's track

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Looks good to me!

Ok then, if there aren't any objections we can go ahead and let this track be Round 12!

• Like 3

It’s been a while for me, but hopefully have a crack at this round, that track looks ideal for my Mini & hopped up M05 that hasn’t been run since it was done  @Ferruz 👍🏻

@Re-Bugged great! 👍given the lack of objections so far, I guess at this point we're waiting for the track to be officially validated by @TurnipJF, unless again somebody wants to change anything before we start. 

Looking forward to beginning Round 12!

• Like 1

I hereby officially validate the track! 😁

image.thumb.png.3db62107f60eea579b3a354b4f138a55.png

I am sure you all know the drill by now, but newcomers (or forgetful regulars) are welcome to review the rules in the first post of the thread.

I believe the last Sunday of June falls on the 27th, which will mark the end of this round at midnight GMT.

Please post your results via the Google form at https://forms.gle/1xzhEZAPsWDeez6D8.

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks JF for organizing all of this. Been watching from the bench but this time I will give it a try! I needed to scratch my RWD itch while waiting for the M06 and F104 to be completed so I setup a RWD iteration of my (ever-changing) TT-02 Porsche :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

Thanks JF for organizing all of this. Been watching from the bench but this time I will give it a try! I needed to scratch my RWD itch while waiting for the M06 and F104 to be completed so I setup a RWD iteration of my (ever-changing) TT-02 Porsche :)

Welcome. Hope you enjoy it - we look forward to seeing how you and your Porsche get on!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I hereby officially validate the track! 😁

Excellent 👍🏻
If I don’t manage to get a road session in, my back up plan will be racing around some sand castles on the beach with my Stadium Blitzer when we go away for a short break soon 😁

• Like 2

Drew up the track on cad and put it onto the OS mapping of our street to get the best orientation on Monday. So far have had a go at it with the TT01 and the Terra Scorcher. 

Need to get better at sliding/controlling the oversteer in the TT01, but the Terra Scorcher feels really good and quick round the course with very little practice. I wonder if this will be another good month for those with Manta Rays?

Hopefully will have plenty of chances to practice and build up a decent score.

• Like 2

@Toad16v I haven't driven mine much yet, but I think that the Terra Scorcher is indeed a very capable buggy. The only time I ran mine through a postal racing track -on snowy ice- I had your exact same experience: very quick, very intuitive as well, even with no practice. It even beat my Manta Ray's result on that one (though it doesn't really count, as the Manta's battery wasn't fully charged). I prefere to focus on one or two cars at a time and learn how to tune them up properly, and the Manta and RC10 are on main duty now, but that's pretty much the only thing keeping me from running the TS. That and the fact that the tires are new and can't bring myself to shave off those spikes within minutes of running in anger on tarmac :P

I hope I'll be able to run the new course this weekend, it's probably time since I've designed the track but never really tried it out :ph34r: if amazon delivers my new 11t pinion tomorrow morning like it's supposed to, my RC10 will see a lot of track action for sure. Can't wait to finally gear it right (not sure this pinion will do). Have fun everybody😊🏁

• Like 2

@Ferruz, I got some cheap fastrax road tyres and hex adapters specifically for that reason. Just fitted a new servo saver to the Terra Scorcher, looking forward to more of a thrash with it over the next few evenings.

• Like 1

I had a first relaxed, dusky go at Round 12. I find the track a bit challenging and faster than I expected. Can't wait to run more tomorrow. Sadly I missed the new pinion's delivery by an hour so the RC10 will have to wait for next time.

20210612-211225.jpg

• Like 1

M chassis racing 😁.

Fantastic track, had a ball with these 2.

2C05A69A-D267-4691-BE5F-322C94EDB120.jpg

• Like 3

I too had a good outing with some of my M-chassis cars today, specifically my M-05 and M-07. The 07 was brilliant as always, with the 05 not massively far behind despite being in rally trim. I think I might give the 06 and 08 a run tomorrow over lunch break and see how they compare. 

• Like 1

I had a nice track day today, albeit with only two cars being driven at long intervals due to the intense heat and humidity. 

Cracked old tarmac, dust and pollen, burnt tires and steaming motors! I used ice cubes to help cooling down between runs :lol:

20210613-175259.jpg

The Hornet did incredibly well: I ran it only once after a few minutes of practice and it scored a total of only two laps less than the Manta Ray. I have a way cleaner driving style with it, since I'm weary of talespin -and, well, being the Hornet, sudden tumbles are always around the corner- and I guess it paid off compared to the drifty, at times overly aggressive style I caught myself developing with the Manta. Hope to get the chance to run some more in the next days

20210613-175246.jpg

• Like 3

A bit of footage from Sundays session warming the tyres up. 

I think the Mini must have been getting some interference from somewhere as it started playing up a bit towards the end 🤔

• Like 6

Some slow-mo highlights of the Comical Hornet putting some laps in. Two wheels over the cone is totally legal and still within track boundaries, I won't need a 5-second penalty for that. Bonus wheelie at the end. Shortly after this I ran into the shed pretty hard and did this:

IMG_1388.jpg

That's half of the servo saver spring. Maintenence required next weekend!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

I think the Mini must have been getting some interference from somewhere as it started playing up a bit towards the end 🤔

How do you post Youtube clips? All good, i got it working. Mods, this post can be deleted!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Tight cornering and some enticing music there 🤠

• Like 1

Thanks @Ferruz, I have a small Bluetooth speaker playing music as I race now, mainly because I couldn’t hear the 5 minute buzzer go off. So now I can hear clearly when the music stops, that’s it done 👍🏻  

• Like 1

Got a bit of running time in during my lunch break. The concrete behind the hospital where I work was a bit slippery and dusty leading to some spectacular slides if I accelerated too hard. I also got some amused looks and comments from a few of the nurses coming out for a cigarette break. Nice to get out on my lunch break through, that doesn't happen very often - come to think of it, lunch breaks don't happen that often either 😜.

After one and a half rounds the TBLE02 went dead, seemingly due to overheating. It was quite hot in the direct sunshine but I hadn't expected that to happen with a Carson Cup Machine, standard gearing and with a standard NiMh pack. The motor was extremely hot though and I  then remembered that the same thing had happened to my son's DT-02 last week on the local track when the motor was in there. I had then swapped it to my TT-02 to replace the Torque Tuned (the Cup  Machine is the motor for the Stock class I enter in  the German Tamiya Euro Cup), not thinking anything was amiss. So now I'm thinking the motor maybe has had it. I'll give it another go in cooler weather and see what happens.

• Like 2