TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 45 takes us to Anderstorp!

Tried it out - I like it! :)   I just laid it out, chalk on the drive way.  I should actually have several dry days in a row to try and get a good time.  I was about halfway through a pack, when the return spring on my steering wheel broke! :o  Luckily youtube has an easy fix and I could run a bit more before the sun set.

• Like 2

Today was going to be all about Postal racing. Too bad I woke up to a dead charger, and that's right after purchasing two new battery packs yesterday evening 🤬😐

So I calmed down, grabbed a beer, ordered a new charger, and then did some tuning on the Manta Ray: I worked on the turnbuckles to decrease the toe out, and then installed the new kicks that I bought specifically for Postal racing.

Can't wait to have batteris again to try out the cars and the new course 20211107-142136.jpg

It's exactly the same tire pattern, so have a look at the difference: brand new (Manta) and used (Terra Scorcher). It took only several attempts on tarmac to wear them out like that!! Still worth it, but man I wish they'd last a little longer! Soon I'll be drifting on bald tires again 😁20211107-142210.jpg

I got a hold of the buggies today for the first time after last Round. They didn't know about the good result yet so it felt good to tell them (sorry, I'm nuts and clearly need a real pet, lol 🤪)20211107-142117.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/7/2021 at 7:39 PM, Ferruz said:

They didn't know about the good result yet so it felt good to tell them

Glad I'm not the only one who talks to their RCs! 😁

• Haha 2

I found a parking lot and a few hours to spend to participate in the Racing by Post challenge:

dvlBSoU.jpg

As my first time "racing," this was quite an experience! For one: I definitely need more permanent track markers (I used hockey pucks!), since the ones I was using got inevitably displaced by my apex-clipping antics :P The course looked a bit small to me once I had measured it all out, which meant my strategy of a high-speed tuning setup was thwarted :lol:

It was great fun, though, especially as I had never run the Super Striker exclusively on pavement before this session. I only rolled it once! The rollover and two flattening batteries accounted for 3 DNFs in 6 attempts.

The biggest revelation may be that my electronics of choice may not be up to the standard I apparently demand from my equipment. I guess this event was really the first opportunity I had to notice it, especially when wrestling an off-road two-wheel drive buggy around on asphalt. Earlier, I did consider switching out the steering servo before realizing that the one currently fitted is digital, whereas all my others are analogue. For a bit of added precision, I switched out the DSM2 receiver previously fitted for a newer DSMR type. Even if the 5.5 ms frame rate difference is nominal, it helped my confidence!

Even though I only ran the course timed about six times, I did learn a bit about tuning, and the various parameters that my radio was capable of adjusting. I ran more consistent laps at a throttle expo. setting of about 20 percent, though changing the steering dual rate and expo. did not have the same noticeable results. For a car that was consistently understeering, perhaps I could have played a bit more with these settings, but there was no getting around the fact that I was driving an off-road buggy with decidedly off-road tires THAT IS OLDER THAN ME (:D), on road! Still, it was an educational experience, and one I was happy to have. I may need that knowledge later when I get into more sophisticated equipment or chassis...

Speaking of potential placebos: the front wing did actually help in the high-speed corners, I think ;) If nothing else, it furthered the appearance of a Formula 1 car, which at least made it look kind of cool while it ran wide on every single turn!

I had selected the Super Striker as I had intended to run the track on loose dirt, but pavement was the only open space I found. Maybe time to bring some on-road cars? I wonder how many times I can roll the old 037 :P

6rysJCu.jpg

A top-15 finish would make my day :D

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Grastens said:

I found a parking lot and a few hours to spend to participate in the Racing by Post challenge:

dvlBSoU.jpg

As my first time "racing," this was quite an experience! For one: I definitely need more permanent track markers (I used hockey pucks!), since the ones I was using got inevitably displaced by my apex-clipping antics :P The course looked a bit small to me once I had measured it all out, which meant my strategy of a high-speed tuning setup was thwarted :lol:

It was great fun, though, especially as I had never run the Super Striker exclusively on pavement before this session. I only rolled it once! The rollover and two flattening batteries accounted for 3 DNFs in 6 attempts.

The biggest revelation may be that my electronics of choice may not be up to the standard I apparently demand from my equipment. I guess this event was really the first opportunity I had to notice it, especially when wrestling an off-road two-wheel drive buggy around on asphalt. Earlier, I did consider switching out the steering servo before realizing that the one currently fitted is digital, whereas all my others are analogue. For a bit of added precision, I switched out the DSM2 receiver previously fitted for a newer DSMR type. Even if the 5.5 ms frame rate difference is nominal, it helped my confidence!

Even though I only ran the course timed about six times, I did learn a bit about tuning, and the various parameters that my radio was capable of adjusting. I ran more consistent laps at a throttle expo. setting of about 20 percent, though changing the steering dual rate and expo. did not have the same noticeable results. For a car that was consistently understeering, perhaps I could have played a bit more with these settings, but there was no getting around the fact that I was driving an off-road buggy with decidedly off-road tires THAT IS OLDER THAN ME (:D), on road! Still, it was an educational experience, and one I was happy to have. I may need that knowledge later when I get into more sophisticated equipment or chassis...

Speaking of potential placebos: the front wing did actually help in the high-speed corners, I think ;) If nothing else, it furthered the appearance of a Formula 1 car, which at least made it look kind of cool while it ran wide on every single turn!

I had selected the Super Striker as I had intended to run the track on loose dirt, but pavement was the only open space I found. Maybe time to bring some on-road cars? I wonder how many times I can roll the old 037 :P

6rysJCu.jpg

A top-15 finish would make my day :D

Awesome. These circuits certainly get you looking at your setup and maximising acceleration and handling over top speed. Good to see someone else joining in!

• Like 2

@Grastens nice race report, cool car and welcome to the Postal Racing :D it's good to have new people. 

I had a day off, and was able to get acquainted with Round 17, using two brand new battery packs. It's quite technical compared to how it looked on paper!

I took out the Terra Scorcher first, which handled pretty well. After a few trial laps I was able to get a couple decent timed runs. The setup -not far from stock- really felt spot on for the type of track and the bumpy cracked tarmac it runs on, and so did the amount of power which was definitely revived by the new battery.

Speaking of new battieries, the Manta Ray's bluebottle can finally perform properly. Great for general running, but it felt quite overpowered for this type of course. I could keep it under control thanks to the new tires, but it was way harder to get clean lines and consistent laps. The Manta Ray, although more powerful, feels more nervous and less forgiving than the Terra Scorcher. In a way it's more of a challenge.

It was fun to run and compare the cars on the same track, now that they both have new tires. Hope to give it another shot next week!

20211109-151314.jpg

• Like 4

I'm having a seaside long weekend starting this evening. I know there is an open space were I can lay out the track so if I don't forget to take anything needed with me I will join you guys this time. If I understand correctly I can try the same track with different cars? So looking formward to this :D 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

If I understand correctly I can try the same track with different cars? So looking formward to this :D 

Absolutely 😉, it’s a run what ya brung kinda a ‘race’. If I remember correctly the only stipulation is a body of some description must be fitted (no chassis only). Run as many as you like otherwise. On-road or off-road track as well, what ever you fancy. Just have fun is the main criteria 😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Strange how excited I get about this, strange to non TC people that is. :D

‘Strange’ is the new black, cutting edge and way ahead of our time on here, that’s all 😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

a body of some description must be fitted (no chassis only).

oops, pretty sure I ran a round or two without a body on one of my cars.

Although it wouldn't have made much difference, I'm always near the bottom of the leaderboard anyway :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, El Gecko said:

oops, pretty sure I ran a round or two without a body on one of my cars.

Although it wouldn't have made much difference, I'm always near the bottom of the leaderboard anyway :lol:

qei53b2hbm8o.gif

:ph34r: :D :lol:

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

I'm having a seaside long weekend starting this evening. I know there is an open space were I can lay out the track so if I don't forget to take anything needed with me I will join you guys this time. If I understand correctly I can try the same track with different cars? So looking formward to this :D 

Just submit a different time for each car.  check the previous results; several people have multiple cars on there with different times. and Enjoy it! :)

• Thanks 1

If anyone needs a refresher on the rules, please take a look at the first post in the thread. :)

Multiple entries are welcome - just submit your best lap count with each car that you use.

Here is a link to the form for submitting your results: https://forms.gle/1xzhEZAPsWDeez6D8

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

With both my batteries charged I’ve had a great afternoon with these 4 weapons of choice today..

10F6BCF7-7CB4-4649-9350-69FF8C720DDE.jpg 

x2 rounds of laps with each car, the Porsche seems so big compared to the Mini & Alfa, the Mini tyres are holding up very well considering what they have done up to now, or perhaps I’m just not pushing hard enough,

F44E47EA-BD04-4210-B780-DCDBE9604333.jpg

The M08 is just so whisper quiet to the others even with a brushed motor. Nice to be able to compare it directly to the M06 too.

Very enjoyable Track this one 😃 I can certainly think of worse ways to spend a couple of hours. 

• Like 4

Had another go with my Aqroshot. For the sake of comparison also fitted with a standard Mabuchi 380RS motor but this time with Wild Willy at the steering wheel :lol:  

20211114_101732.jpg

• Like 2

20211114_221218.thumb.jpg.6fa66fd4d3d7286f2974cc44ab988523.jpg

As you can see on wet tarmac this time and with the original "limited grip" tires a 380 was all that was needed to make this a slippery adventure... 

I don't know how you guys do this but I had my wife using the stopwatch function on my smartphone to time every lap and to notify me when the 5 minutes were gone. After two runs with my Grasshopper and another two runs with the Aqroshot she had enough of it...  I noticed that practice has result so I should really put more effort in this to get better in this. Really like to try the same cars with other tires also :D

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

I don't know how you guys do this but I had my wife using the stopwatch function on my smartphone to time every lap and to notify me when the 5 minutes were gone.

The buzzer on my phone timer/stopwatch wasn’t quite loud enough for me. So now I take a Bluetooth Speaker with me,  I know times up when the music stops. I find racing to my favourite tunes helps get in a groove too. 

• Like 3

Must be nice indeed racing to your favourite tunes. You just count laps then without timing every single lap? I might do that for practice and just ask the wife once I see no more real progression in the number of laps to get an idea of the fastest lap time. Thank you.

I use the LapTrax app on an old Android phone, mounted on a cheapo tripod from the discount store. The nice thing about that is it will automatically stop recording when the 5 minutes is over, and it does record a time for each lap so you can get average and best lap times for the run. It saves all the data so you can see each lap time individually and in a graph.

Lately I've just been filming whole runs and using the timer on my normal phone, then watching them back at home and counting laps.

• Like 1