TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 45 takes us to Anderstorp!

@mud4fun I definitely don't want to suck the fun out of it!! What would be the point then? I'm trying to drag the older Grandbabies in myself - maybe even my Stepson and Son-in-Law!! 

If my Daughter was still with us.... SHE could give your Mudlets - and maybe TurnipJF - a solid run for their money! 😜😂 

Again, all in fun. I competed in the 80's and 90's. It STOPPED being fun after the first Month. 😧😖  no, I'm enjoying this - but given my experience about 100 years ago - APPALLED at my performance!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

I'm enjoying this - but given my experience about 100 years ago - APPALLED at my performance!

Same here, I have been driving RC cars since I was 8. That is nearly half a century ago. I used to race at after school clubs and local RC clubs in the 80's and 90's too. Since then I have also 'played' with RC cars for many, many hours with my kids. So it is a tad depressing to find out how poor my skills are now, and just how quickly kids can pick up new skills.

The only thing in my defence are these points:

• I think as you get older your reaction times slow down, especially if you are not using them every day. 
  • RC Cars back in the 80's and early 90's were not actually that fast so lightening fast reaction times were not as essential
  • steering systems, servos and radio equipment had slow response compared to today so again quick reaction times not as essential
  • kids these days spend alot of time on games machines which probably improves their reaction times
  • My eyes are shot (seriously) so I can't see the cars at distance like I could when I was a teenager
  • Finally, despite thousands of hours of experience, it is spread out over a long period. Whereas if I practised every day things would be different.
  • The postal racing rounds are definitely improving our skills, without a doubt. Having a different track design each round is fab. You don't get used to one design and keeps you on your toes!

• Like 3

For the next round I'm going to enter just two vehicles, my Avante2001 and my Thundershot - will allow me to spend more time with each car practising and getting to know the cars and maybe doing more setup testing on them.

While it sounds like I'm getting serious,  that is not the case, I am genuinely finding it actually rather fun to see how changes such as weight, tyres, shocks and camber etc affect the performance.

• Like 2

If there was going to be a class it could only be lunchbox right? Loads of people have them (or thr Pumpkin) and they are so ridiculous and would clearly never get near the top of the list. The only time my son beats me in our backyard races is when I have the Lunchbox and he has anything else.

Otherwise I don't see much point. In my backyard races with friends all the cars perform in a very similar way, ie the Novafox is lightening fast but doesn't go around corners, the TT02B seems pretty good until it gets stuck, the Monster Beetle is slow and steady etc. My race buggies are too fast in the backyard and most people are slower with them as a result. Anything can win

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Looking forward to this one, a small tight layout should fit in my backyard and I don't have anything else to get in the way this time. TurnipJF has set the benchmark so if the buggies can't get close it may mean a visit to the school to see what the TA07 can do.

That would be great if you could! So far I am quite confident that my appearance at the top of the list has been far more to do with my car choice than my driving skill, which is nowhere near what the results appear to suggest. It is easy to be at the top if you are the only one participating in the fastest class! A few more contemporary TCs to compete against would give a more accurate picture I'm sure. When racing pre-Coronapocalypse, the only class in which I could be confident of a podium was F1. In touring I was usually mid-field at best.

13 hours ago, mud4fun said:

'm not so sure it was down to type of car......... ^_^

I'm going to guess that in Turnips hands my buggies could probably do 10 laps more than me on round 2 track :D

In fact, judging from how close the Avante2001 in my unskilled hands got to him in wet conditions, and the fact I was honestly having a hoot wheel spinning and drifting rather than trying 100% to get the best laps in, I would go as far as saying Turnip may have managed even more laps with my buggy than his touring car on a wet surface....... what do you reckon @TurnipJF?  

I daresay that the wetter track didn't do my touring car any favours at all. It is quite likely that I would have been quicker in the wet with a spiky-tyred buggy. WHile loads of fun, skidding around in the wet didn't lead to the quickest of laps...

12 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

@TurnipJF have you considered taking one of your F1's out? 

I have actually - I reckon my F103 could lap quicker than my TCs on a tight track. With the lack of other cars and track barriers to crash into, I might even risk my fully-carbonated F104V2 Pro. Fancy giving your F1 a go too?

5 hours ago, mud4fun said:

I'd like to see @TurnipJF run one of those gorgeous buggies of his, maybe a thundershot, would give us an idea of just how bad our driving really is :lol:

I think my Thundershot will have to get a run in Round 3. I'll be interested to see how it fares compared to Team Mighty Muds - I reckon you three will give me a run for my money, being regular users of this chassis, familiar with its handling. Mine has only had two outings so far!

• Like 2

@TurnipJF now don't go risking your gorgeous Thundershot for my sake BUT I would find it fascinating to see how many laps you can do using that buggy because it would set a great benchmark for all of us. 

Its performance and handling is roughly equal to many 4WD buggies produced by Tamiya from 1985 to present day.

So I would really appreciate knowing what a Thundershot (or Terra Scorcher) chassis could do in skilled hands.

My Daughters would really be impressed and encouraged to compete if you ran a buggy similar to what they have rather than touring cars.

And once again, accept our thanks for organising this AND having to keep a track of all the results etc, that can be a lot of work, it is much appreciated.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

That would be great if you could! So far I am quite confident that my appearance at the top of the list has been far more to do with my car choice than my driving skill, which is nowhere near what the results appear to suggest. It is easy to be at the top if you are the only one participating in the fastest class! A few more contemporary TCs to compete against would give a more accurate picture I'm sure. When racing pre-Coronapocalypse, the only class in which I could be confident of a podium was F1. In touring I was usually mid-field at best.

I daresay that the wetter track didn't do my touring car any favours at all. It is quite likely that I would have been quicker in the wet with a spiky-tyred buggy. WHile loads of fun, skidding around in the wet didn't lead to the quickest of laps...

I have actually - I reckon my F103 could lap quicker than my TCs on a tight track. With the lack of other cars and track barriers to crash into, I might even risk my fully-carbonated F104V2 Pro. Fancy giving your F1 a go too?

I think my Thundershot will have to get a run in Round 3. I'll be interested to see how it fares compared to Team Mighty Muds - I reckon you three will give me a run for my money, being regular users of this chassis, familiar with its handling. Mine has only had two outings so far!

We have an outdoors onroad meet this Sunday so I need to get a few cars ready for that.  My FF04 hasn't been run yet, it just needs the battery strap and posts to be finished, and my sons TT02D needs converting to a TT02 (just a motor swap, tyres and new ESC as the old one's BEC packed up) so if I get those things sorted we will probably head to the school on Saturday for a quick run.

I think we'll probably prep the cars for this Sunday, then take the TRF102, TA07, F103 (silvercan) and TT02 (torque tuned) to the school next Saturday and give this a go.  Both of mine are 21.5T powered but that should be plenty for a tight circuit.  We don't bother sweeping the courts there so the F1's can be a handful.  I'll see how the FF04 performs on Sunday, that may make an appearance too if it runs well, its just a hassle taking too many cars with us, 4 is plenty.

• Like 3

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how my Modded and Bodged TT-02S-SM-RRRR-GT4 ends up!! 😜 

I've mentioned that I used to Race Professionally in the 80's and 90's..... Just Buggies though. HARD to believe, given my recent performances! 😖  When I take THIS Beast out, it will be the very first time I've run a TC in anger.

Considering that this is 90% modified stock and 10% Alumininium Ball Raced Bling - I couldn't even GUESS how she will do.  It IS possibly, the TIGHTEST, all Plastic Suspension TT-02 Chassis in existence!  Seriously - ZERO SLOP!!! 😊💯👍👍

How much of a difference will that make? Absolutely don't know.....  Should someone with a TRF, Associated or Yokomo be worried? NO! 

I just hope that all the long hours (four years!!) of Work, thought, design, begging, borrowing and bleeding fingers at least nets SOMETHING....  These Challenges ARE about Fun, primarily. I'm also hoping to vindicate myself. This has literally been a shoestring Budget Build!!

• Like 2

All our cars have now been washed and repaired and are ready for the next round. The Avante2001 has a nice new gearbox casing plus a smaller egress x-brace and shortened front shocks, the Vanquish has more epoxy in its gearbox than plastic now and the Thundershot (which wasn't strictly speaking broken) has been lowered and lightened.  The mudlets buggies survived rounds 1 and 2 with no chassis damage at all so just needed a clean.

buggies.jpg

PS. I know this may sound like heresy but I'm starting to like the idea of putting a wing on the thundershot, it feels a bit naked without one when compared with the other two :lol:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

buggies.jpg

PS. I know this may sound like heresy but I'm starting to like the idea of putting a wing on the Thundershot, it feels a bit naked without one when compared with the other two :lol:

Go for it!! Nearly ALL Buggies look great with a Wing (my 'Oliday Buggy being the exception!) 😜😂

• Haha 2

Mark out the above layout on the surface of your choice, and let me know via PM how many laps you can do in 5 minutes! (When the 5-minute mark is reached, finish the lap you are on and submit that as your total.)

Please use the following template for your submissions:

Total laps:

Chassis:

Motor:

Battery:

Track surface:

Was it wet? (Y/N)

Vehicle weight (optional):

Fastest lap (optional):

Deadline for Round 3 submissions is midnight GMT, Sunday 25 October. 

Results will be collated and announced on Monday the 26th.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

@TurnipJF I'm sure you are doing this deliberately..... :) ....the only flat surfaces (other than grass) locally that we have to setup a track are just 6m wide, this means we have either a 2 inch drop into a gravel trap or a 6 inch high concrete curb just 1m either side of the track - tends to slow us down a bit for fear of destroying cars  ;) (well OK, fear of destroying Avante class cars, the thundershots are fine)

Oh well, we'll try our best but if I break another Avante gearbox I'll be sending you an invoice :D :lol:

Anyway, only joshing, thanks for the new track design, looking forward to it!

Good luck everybody  :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

As it was raining between layout 1 and 2, i will add my attempt for layout 3, maybe with my f103

Great stuff! Looks like we might have the makings of a F1 class! I've just come back from giving my Thundershot a run. F103 next I think...

• Like 1

Looks like a good track. Nice and twisty. Thanks again to Mr T for organising and winning, er, I mean, running this fun little distraction 🤭

Now, which completely unsuitable buggy to use...😅

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, mud4fun said:

buggies.jpg

PS. I know this may sound like heresy but I'm starting to like the idea of putting a wing on the thundershot, it feels a bit naked without one when compared with the other two :lol:

I think the Tshot looks ace with the wing (but needs the right wheel/tyre combo). But then, I think all buggies look ace with wings. And spotlights. Lots of spotlights 🔦 🔦 🔦

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, Carmine A said:

I'm actually looking forward to seeing how my Modded and Bodged TT-02S-SM-RRRR-GT4 ends up!! 😜 

I've mentioned that I used to Race Professionally in the 80's and 90's..... Just Buggies though. HARD to believe, given my recent performances! 😖  When I take THIS Beast out, it will be the very first time I've run a TC in anger.

Considering that this is 90% modified stock and 10% Alumininium Ball Raced Bling - I couldn't even GUESS how she will do.  It IS possibly, the TIGHTEST, all Plastic Suspension TT-02 Chassis in existence!  Seriously - ZERO SLOP!!! 😊💯👍👍

How much of a difference will that make? Absolutely don't know.....  Should someone with a TRF, Associated or Yokomo be worried? NO! 

I just hope that all the long hours (four years!!) of Work, thought, design, begging, borrowing and bleeding fingers at least nets SOMETHING....  These Challenges ARE about Fun, primarily. I'm also hoping to vindicate myself. This has literally been a shoestring Budget Build!!

Sounds like fighting talk!! Time to let your TT 02 MS-S RRRR-GTI/TDI supercharger do the walking! 😉🤟

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

Now, which completely unsuitable buggy to use...😅

ROFL

Same here....

• Haha 3

Youngest daughter, with a truly straight face, pointed out that as it is 2020 and not 1920, the Avante2001 can self identify as a crawler...... thereby winning its class with ease...the child is a genius! :lol: 

• Haha 1

Have decided that for the tight and twisty round 3 track I needed a very torquey motor in the Thundershot that could catapult the buggy quickly between cones, my current Reedy 19T is a superb motor but is more suited for long fast tracks such as Round 2 where it managed just 4 laps less than the Avante2001 despite weighing 200g heavier and was using an archaic nearly dead 8.4v NiCd.

The newly modified Thundershot is now 150g lighter than the Avante2001 and is sporting a brand new LiPo so I'm expecting it to beat the '2001 as it stands but to up the stakes I want to try something different.....

So I thought for raw grunt the best motor I had in my spares box was this 18 year old (brand new) Kyosho Magnetic Meyhem (22x1) truck/crawler motor. A motor so torquey (on 8.4v) that it could wheelie a 3Kg truck with ease and was responsible for eating dogbones on any thundershot it was fitted too...... but heck, it only has to last 5 minutes eh? :D

mag_mayhem (2).jpg

The price tag was still on this, it cost me £18.99 in 2004..... the Reedy 19T cost me approx £40 at the same time... will be interesting to see how it does.

Fitted to my Thundershot and tested on kitchen floor - yet more deep donut marks to try and hoover out of the carpet tiles, donuts with ease :D

1295385096_mag_mayhem(3).thumb.jpg.dc229c0a5c1360cfbfa7daf1a9278226.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Have decided that for the tight and twisty round 3 track I needed a very torquey motor in the Thundershot that could catapult the buggy quickly between cones, my current Reedy 19T is a superb motor but is more suited for long fast tracks such as Round 2 where it managed just 4 laps less than the Avante2001 despite weighing 200g heavier and was using an archaic nearly dead 8.4v NiCd.

The newly modified Thundershot is now 150g lighter than the Avante2001 and is sporting a brand new LiPo so I'm expecting it to beat the '2001 as it stands but to up the stakes I want to try something different.....

So I thought for raw grunt the best motor I had in my spares box was this 18 year old (brand new) Kyosho Magnetic Meyhem (22x1) truck/crawler motor. A motor so torquey (on 8.4v) that it could wheelie a 3Kg truck with ease and was responsible for eating dogbones on any thundershot it was fitted too...... but heck, it only has to last 5 minutes eh? :D

mag_mayhem (2).jpg

The price tag was still on this, it cost me £18.99 in 2004..... the Reedy 19T cost me approx £40 at the same time... will be interesting to see how it does.

Fitted to my Thundershot and tested on kitchen floor - yet more deep donut marks to try and hoover out of the carpet tiles, donuts with ease :D

This is looking serious. I'll have to check the spares box, I think I have 5.5T and 8.5T motors in there...

I meant to say, I like the way you modified your cars to stay ahead of middle mudlet, genius!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

This is looking serious. I'll have to check the spares box, I think I have 5.5T and 8.5T motors in there...

I meant to say, I like the way you modified your cars to stay ahead of middle mudlet, genius!

hehe, I have a big box of old motors including a few old Dyna Runs, Super Stocks, Mag Mayhems etc plus a zillion silver cans. In amongst them are some new motors that I bought years ago and never used. Just fancied trying some of them in the postal racing rounds to see what difference it makes on various track layouts.

Bit of a learning process.

Maybe just stuffing the lowest turn motor in is not always the best solution LOL (although it is kinda fun with the resulting wheelspins and drifts.....)

The Mag Mayhem is quite torquey but it is no match for the 13T Dyna Run Super Touring + small pinion for thrills, however it should give me longer run times and more control around turns instead of just spinning constantly. I have fitted it with a 14t pinion instead of the 13t pinion that was on the Reedy 19T spec.

• Like 2

@TurnipJF quick question if I may; the track layout indicates an anti-clockwise direction of travel. Is this a hard and fast rule, or could we go clockwise if we so choose?

Only ask as, for reasons unknown, maybe cos I'm left-handed 🤷‍♂️) going anti-clockwise has always seemed 'wrong' somehow. No biggy if it has to stay the way it is, though 👍.

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I've weighed all my cars (curiously, the DF 01 is heaviest of the lot - including the madbulls 😳) and I've fitted the best pair of on-road tyres i have, which also happen to be the only pair I have...

I'm thinking of rebuilding my schumacher SV2 or KF which I dismantled when I finished racing a couple of years ago, just to give it a good go. Time permitting, I'm going to try different running surfaces too. All in the name of experimentation and science, obviously (and not because I'm at all competitive 😁)

8 hours ago, mud4fun said:

mag_mayhem (2).jpg

I think you're on to something. Short, sharp bursts of rapid acceleration will win this one, I think. And not crashing.

And yes, I too have had to remove a couple of number 11s from the laminated floor in the dining room after some over exuberant motor/ESC testing...🤪

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

Sounds like fighting talk!! Time to let your TT 02 MS-S RRRR-GTI/TDI supercharger do the walking! 😉🤟

TALK it shall - cry you might!! 😜😂😂 TDI!!?? Now THOSE are fighting words to an American Musclecar!!  (If we've resorted to fighting talk!) 

The Paint is arriving today, Body will be installed, EXCUSES will be null and void..... 

Hopefully I won't be the one CRYING!!! 😢 

@TurnipJF THANK YOU! That's a NICE short Circuit, that could just accentuate either of my On-Road beasties. I still might not come close to you - especially if you break out your F1 Car!! 😲 

But don't hold back on our account. Gives us mere mortals something to shoot for!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silver-Can said:

@TurnipJF quick question if I may; the track layout indicates an anti-clockwise direction of travel. Is this a hard and fast rule, or could we go clockwise if we so choose?

Only ask as, for reasons unknown, maybe cos I'm left-handed 🤷‍♂️) going anti-clockwise has always seemed 'wrong' somehow. No biggy if it has to stay the way it is, though 👍.

The track direction was chosen on purpose to add to the challenge factor because, as you say, there is something a bit more challenging about going anti-clockwise. Possibly because most club tracks seem to run clockwise in my experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1