TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

The Vanquish, renamed 'The Lawnmower' after it sucked all the freshly cut grass into its motor compartment and ESC, overheated and nearly cooked a battery too. I chose to run on grass in the hope it would actually manage to do a few lap attempts without breaking and costing me a fortune.....sigh....it seems this buggy just likes to cause me trouble. 

Do I get bonus points for taking a photo of a moving vehicle, whilst trying to race and whilst using a twin stick transmitter with one hand??? :lol:

round3_vanquish (3).jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Do I get bonus points for taking a photo of a moving vehicle, whilst trying to race and whilst using a twin stick transmitter with one hand??? :lol:

Well, assuming nobody else enters such a photo, by default you'll be the winner of the "Taking a photo of a moving vehicle, whilst trying to race and whilst using a twin stick transmitter with one hand" challenge!

(If they do of course, we'll have to take a vote.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Right, it was the Avante2001's turn.... yes, in traditional fashion it once more flipped, crashed and broke something..... :lol:

This time thankfully only cracked the old basher wing, soon to be replaced anyway, oh AND it too overheated and the ESC cut out. It was completely clogged with grass that had wrapped itself around the rear driveshafts so badly you can barely turn the wheels. Sigh again. 

After all that it also did pretty dismally in setting laps too although to be fair, it was wet grass and it was lightly raining while I was doing my attempts, I did five 5 min attempts to record laps and not one resulted in a decent lap count :(

I also realised that my cones really dissuade you from cutting across the apex of the marker because they just flip you. When we ran yesterday on tarmac we only used the flat rubber discs because of fears about damage from rolls BUT it meant we could sort of cheat because we could cut across the top of the rubber disc with no penalty whereas try and do that with the cones and you flip which is a pretty big penalty as your lap attempt is ruined. I reckon having the flat discs gained us about 3-4 laps more than using cones where it is not possible to cut corners off and you have to drop more speed with the cones to safely navigate them.

round3_avante (1).jpg

round3_avante (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My son and I had a go at this yesterday on our customary surface (the beach). Hmmm. Started off with my modified madcap. This has some of the period hop-ups - metal motor plate and uprated diff internals, as well as some custom mods such as ujs and hex front wheels for using 4wd wheels and tyres. Admittedly, the sand wasn't tide fresh smooth, but bye-ek, this was hard work. So much so that we abandoned the attempt after the rear shock tower mount gave way. We hadn't crashed or anything, just fatigued plastics. We just decided to bash with the other cars we'd brought instead.

I might try again on a different surface but I think my son is gonna sit this one out. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Right, it was the Avante2001's turn.... yes, in traditional fashion it once more flipped, crashed and broke something..... :lol:

This time thankfully only cracked the old basher wing, soon to be replaced anyway, oh AND it too overheated and the ESC cut out. It was completely clogged with grass that had wrapped itself around the rear driveshafts so badly you can barely turn the wheels. Sigh again. 

After all that it also did pretty dismally in setting laps too although to be fair, it was wet grass and it was lightly raining while I was doing my attempts, I did five 5 min attempts to record laps and not one resulted in a decent lap count :(

I also realised that my cones really dissuade you from cutting across the apex of the marker because they just flip you. When we ran yesterday on tarmac we only used the flat rubber discs because of fears about damage from rolls BUT it meant we could sort of cheat because we could cut across the top of the rubber disc with no penalty whereas try and do that with the cones and you flip which is a pretty big penalty as your lap attempt is ruined. I reckon having the flat discs gained us about 3-4 laps more than using cones where it is not possible to cut corners off and you have to drop more speed with the cones to safely navigate them.

round3_avante (1).jpg

round3_avante (2).jpg

Yeah, I think this round is taking it's toll!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Silver-Can said:

Yeah, I think this round is taking it's toll!

In more ways than you can imagine!

I was carrying the Avante2001, transmitter, mobile, lap monitor and cones back in, went to dump them on the kitchen side and somehow knocked the trim lever on the throttle into fully reverse....the buggy pin spikes slashed my arm and shot back into an expensive Denby pasta bowl, cracking that in two...... :( I had forgotten to turn off the ESC before carrying it back in.....ouch....so the damned buggy not only managed to damage itself yet again but this time managed to damage me and my favourite pasta/curry bowl....

round3_damage (1).jpg

round3_damage (2).jpg

• Sad 3

I'm just hoping that mine is actually READY in time... 😲 

I'm back to work, as carefully, methodically, yet Carefully as I can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver-Can said:

......but bye-ek, this was hard work. So much so that we abandoned the attempt after the rear shock tower mount gave way. We hadn't crashed or anything, just fatigued plastics. We just decided to bash with the other cars we'd brought instead.

I might try again on a different surface but I think my son is gonna sit this one out. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, this is a nightmare challenging track design for buggies. I have probably spent, no joke, approx 8 hours battling practising this round. I did another couple of hours today. On the previous rounds we did all of 10 mins practise before recording our laps. :lol:

The difference between my worst lap count and my best is astronomical and all the buggies that by rights should do well (the ones with tight turning circles and centre diffs) have done abysmally and the buggies that have done the most laps have the worst turning circles and no centre diffs.:rolleyes::(:o

In fact, other than our current top placed buggy, the remaining five are currently placed in the precise ascending order of their power and top speeds with 6th being the most powerful/fastest and 2nd the least powerful/slowest,  the only exception is our current leading buggy which is not quite the least powerful but is our lightest by a wide margin.

• Like 3

Weight or the lack thereof certainly seems to be a strong factor on these short courses. My lightweight F1 is streets ahead of my heavier 4WD touring car, despite the former running a 21.5t and the latter a 13.5t.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Yeah, this is a nightmare challenging track design for buggies. I have probably spent, no joke, approx 8 hours battling practising this round. I did another couple of hours today. On the previous rounds we did all of 10 mins practise before recording our laps. :lol:

The difference between my worst lap count and my best is astronomical and all the buggies that by rights should do well (the ones with tight turning circles and centre diffs) have done abysmally and the buggies that have done the most laps have the worst turning circles and no centre diffs.:rolleyes::(:o

In fact, other than our current top placed buggy, the remaining five are currently placed in the precise ascending order of their power and top speeds with 6th being the most powerful/fastest and 2nd the least powerful/slowest,  the only exception is our current leading buggy which is not quite the least powerful but is our lightest by a wide margin.

Yeah, definitely much tougher than the last round for the buggies. I'm going to try on grass and tarmac just to have a go and compare the difference. I think you're right inasmuch as smooth lines being more critical than actual outright speed. 

Edit - 8 hours practice! That's some dedication right there 👏.  Like you, on the previous round we had a quick blat round for a couple of minutes before going for it but this time, yeah, some thought and actual practice gut be in order.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Weight or the lack thereof certainly seems to be a strong factor on these short courses. My lightweight F1 is sheets ahead of my heavier 4WD touring car, despite the former running a 21.5t and the latter a 13.5t.

OOF!! I'm in trouble then... None of mine are lightweights. 😲😖  WHEN is the deadline again?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Weight or the lack thereof certainly seems to be a strong factor on these short courses. My lightweight F1 is sheets ahead of my heavier 4WD touring car, despite the former running a 21.5t and the latter a 13.5t.

Yes, actually, just looking at our current leading buggies and realised that while top spot is the lightest buggy, 2nd spot is also one of the lightest too. So light weight and less power seems to work well. Definitely not a track design that needs 3S LiPo and 11.5 brushless power to get good results on IMHO :)

4 minutes ago, Silver-Can said:

Yeah, definitely much tougher than the last round for the buggies. I'm going to try on grass and tarmac just to have a go and compare the difference. I think you're right inasmuch as smooth lines being more critical than actual outright speed. 

We ran three of our buggies on grass today, it was wet though and was actually light rain while setting laps so not quite a fair comparison but in our case we were getting roughly 3-4 laps less on grass than tarmac, despite two of the buggies running large spikes, ideally suited to grass.

Just done a quick 'at a glance' calculation on our results so far and it looks like for every extra 100g of vehicle weight over 1387g (our lightest) the cars are taking an extra 0.8 seconds per lap per additional 100g

That equates to roughly an extra 2 laps per 100g weight saving if my maths is correct for our buggies. Our current top buggy is 250g lighter than our heaviest.

Not entirely accurate as alot of the difference is obviously down to driver style, tyres, batteries and motor but there definitely looks to be a pattern there.

PS. I think the next round should be a simple oval, Nascar style...... it'll give my brain a rest :lol:

• Haha 2

I made my F103LM TRF ready for a shot today. Rain has stopped over night, battery is charging, hopefully I will be able to submit a run today.

the problem was, my other F103 formula, has a faulty servo I have forgotten about, as it is a mini servo, the servo holder is different to a big servo and I dont have neither to replace now.

then my F103LM was in the box for a couple of

months because on the last speed run I have tried it took of the ground and afterwards a rear tire unglued... so now tires glued again... servo is replaced with a heavier and much stronger one. Gearing remains the same 45/80 in 64P.

so will need to reprogram the esc after lunch and go for a run.

AjQyY7Y.jpg

edit: 12:53 East European time, last setups over Laptop being done.

race about to start :D

K4PfcBw.jpg

• Like 5

No luck, Obviously I had a 43T pinion before not the 45T. 

I tried to drive it like this since I dont have the 43T pinion anymore. And it ate the Spur.

no big loss I have two spurs more but such a shame.

try it again tomorrow 

Fpgk4nT.jpg

also not sure but isnt 4x5m kind of small???

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

also not sure but isnt 4x5m kind of small???

ROFL, yes, you think you have problems, try it with a buggy! :lol:

and ouch! hope you get chance to have another try tomorrow.

PS. I had thought that buying a lap timing system would stop the arguments over cheating, sadly this is not the case, instead of arguing over seconds we are now arguing over tenths of a second..... sigh

We even had a 'stewards enquiry' because it was claimed I cheated and gained an extra lap by cutting a corner saving me 0.5 seconds, and no I'm not joking. :rolleyes:

Another one over whether or not it is unfair that I removed the LapMonitor from the track when cars without transponders were running. My reasoning was that there was no point in risking damage to it for no reason as it wasn't in use, however it was claimed that having the LapMonitor there was a hazzard and resulting in more careful driving and slower times DESPITE the fact it wasn't even on the flippin racing line.... :rolleyes:

It seems I'm now going to have to come up with video recording and instant playback for dispute resolution LOL

• Haha 5

Tried to get 5 minutes in with the Avante today, but a combination of a 3 year old demanding constant conversation, and the Avante losing a suspension mount, meant that I never completed it. Hopefully during the week I can get out if the weather is dry enough. I had hoped to get to my indoor concrete location too (commuter car park that’s free on a Sunday), but no such luck with child rearing and interview tests. 

Still time though, next weekend :)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Weight or the lack thereof certainly seems to be a strong factor on these short courses. My lightweight F1 is streets ahead of my heavier 4WD touring car, despite the former running a 21.5t and the latter a 13.5t.

Thats really interesting, my TC was 3secs a lap quicker than my F1 racing yesterday, but a lot of time spent full throttle. F1 requires a lot more throttle control. Do you run a wide F103 front end or F104? Asking for a friend of course...

6 hours ago, mud4fun said:

PS. I had thought that buying a lap timing system would stop the arguments over cheating, sadly this is not the case, instead of arguing over seconds we are now arguing over tenths of a second..... sigh

We even had a 'stewards enquiry' because it was claimed I cheated and gained an extra lap by cutting a corner saving me 0.5 seconds, and no I'm not joking. :rolleyes:

Another one over whether or not it is unfair that I removed the LapMonitor from the track when cars without transponders were running. My reasoning was that there was no point in risking damage to it for no reason as it wasn't in use, however it was claimed that having the LapMonitor there was a hazzard and resulting in more careful driving and slower times DESPITE the fact it wasn't even on the flippin racing line.... :rolleyes:

It seems I'm now going to have to come up with video recording and instant playback for dispute resolution LOL

That is brilliant. I don't see how there can be arguments, but siblings I guess. My son and I run a quick 2 lap challenge which we time with a watch. I'm normally the one complaining as I don't think he actually times it, rather just looks occassionally and uses dubious 7yo maths (he could be our Minister of Finance) to come up with a number he thinks is right. I have suggested a timing system for christmas,  for him of course...main concern is how many transponders - I only need 2, but 4 would be good for the odd time we have people over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mud4fun said:

ROFL, yes, you think you have problems, try it with a buggy! :lol:

and ouch! hope you get chance to have another try tomorrow.

Well I think tomorrow will all work out fine.

Here is it running again, 18T PInion in 48p, spur I am not sure about, didnt want to count. In blinky mode.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Tried to get 5 minutes in with the Avante today, but a combination of a 3 year old demanding constant conversation, and the Avante losing a suspension mount, meant that I never completed it.

It doesn't get any easier as they get older, neither the kids nor the Avante.....  :D

I have three kids who are now in their teens and twenties and several Avante class also in their twenties - not sure which costs me more.... :lol:

• Haha 2

I finally got a chance to catch up with this thread (well, skipped a few pages here and there) so I finally know what this is about. What a great idea @TurnipJF, congrats!! :) 

I totally skipped the Postal racing thread when it was first started 'cause I thought it was about something regarding shipping... lol

I hope you still accept participants, I'm definitely willing to give Round 3 a go if time and space allow! 

• Like 3