TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 45 takes us to Anderstorp!

Tried it and even filmed two runs of 10minutes.

didint caunt laps so just went for it. 

will post video of second run in duration of counted laps with all other informationa on the car.

my idea was to rule out first 2minutes and count laps from then 5minutes.

mdoS3DG.jpg

DmoWLxI.jpg

Will edit post with video later at home.

• Like 4

I temporarily Velcro'ed the Mustang Body on and WENT for it. 😲  Grips in corners MUCH better than the M05, as expected... 

But when there's straight runs - this Baby's gonna FLY! I'm so happy with the performance. It's quite fast for Brushed!! Probably comparable to a 15.5 at least. 😊

• Like 5

I managed to run my Thundershot on my lawn today, in the rain! It only matched the Vanquish (and beat the Avante2001) for laps BUT it managed to get 5-6 races per charge off a 4000mah LiPo AND it never overheated, didn't clog with grass and is almost as clean as when I took it out. Took 2 mins with a hosepipe to clean it (mainly tyres/wheels). No damage whatsoever. In comparison the Vanquish (and same with Avante2001) clogged itself up with grass including all the motor, radio compartment and  driveshafts, drained a battery after just two attempts, overheated and ESC cut out and required an hour rebuild and clean afterwards. Tell my why people think the Avante/Vanqish are better than Thundershot?  :lol:

• Like 3

SO... I will add my entry with the F103LM today I will work on myy F103 F1 to make an better entry.

Total Laps: **

Chassis: F103LM
Motor: LRP  10,5T

Battery: Corally 5000mAh, 100C 7,4v

Track surface: tennis court

Was it wet? N (But a morning after rainy night, so Yes?)

starting from second lap

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

SO... I will add my entry with the F103LM today I will work on myy F103 F1 to make an better entry.

Total Laps: 34

Good Run!! 👍👍 

But you were not supposed to post your results publicly - but PM them to @TurnipJF .....  I don't think that has been mentioned since the first or second page. Not your fault. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Total Laps: 34

starting from second lap

Great run!

Yeah as Carmine said, you need to pm the results to TurnipJF so all the results are kept as a surprise till the end :)

Also I believe you need to start the race from a standing start as a rolling start can give an advantage - trust me, my kids have just docked me a lap because I cut a corner and gained 0.37 seconds which allowed me to gain an extra lap, they are not competitive or anything..... :lol:

Curiously, I somehow managed to lose a full second on my standing start, lapmionitor shows 1.1 seconds gap between the hooter going off and me crossing the start line. I don't think my reaction time is that slow, I think the lapmonitor start counting from the millisecond it sounds the hooter but the hooter blast last a second and I've been waiting till the end of the blast before starting and I have alot of wheelspin off the start unless I crawl away at a snail pace.....  :D

• Like 2

"Mildly moist"?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I GOT LUCKY!!! 😁 

Even for Arizona in Fall, the Weather was shockingly perfect. My TT-02S SM RRRR GT4 was more spectacular than I could have hoped for! My reaction times were above my norm. And I actually believe that being geared too HIGH, made the tight turns smoother! Wasn't enough low end Torque to get the Car out of shape.

..... For the sake of everyone running this Stage - TurnipJF has really dropped the Gauntlet!! 😳  I might actually be BETTER at small, tight, technical Tracks... 

But let's face facts - the centre point, where you had to SWITCH back in the opposite direction was a stroke of Evil GENIUS!! 😜😂😂  Love and Hate you at the same time Mate!! 😉 

The last Stage - with 20m Straights - I was SURE I would dominate. Not only Didn't I, but I STUNK!! 😖😭  I really think I'm going to try the Mustang on that one, to see how badly she destroys the CRX!! 

Which BTW, I think some more Negative Camber might just make the little M05 corner better... Just TOO much Understeer as is. 

GOOD LUCK Boys and Girls!

• Like 1

Thank you for the e heads up about results. Sorry did not notice that, matter fact I was going through the last 4-5pages looking for results of other people to make sure where I am. 

will post them to TurnipJF, sorry again.

made my F103 ready to run today again. It had a faulty servo, but from experience  I know that opening them sometimes fixes the issues??

and so it was, track ready B)

2qtYOPg.jpg
3W9TPyS.jpg

X1VbbSj.jpg

voXV3lr.jpg

hoping to get much better traction from rubber tires. I am curious, since yesterday I had on the F103LM 80% dual rate, while on this F103 F1 I can only have 60% of dual rate.

and higher gearing, 35/80 F1 vs 18/70 LM

• Thanks 1

@Fabia130vRS That's STUNNING!! You just gave me an addition to my 2021 Dream List - an F-1 Car!! 😊 

No worries about the posting.  The subject hasn't come up in so long, we all forgot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

Also I believe you need to start the race from a standing start as a rolling start can give an advantage - trust me, my kids have just docked me a lap because I cut a corner and gained 0.37 seconds which allowed me to gain an extra lap, they are not competitive or anything..... :lol:

Yeah, I did two test laps on the video and then started from stop and started counting.

I believe a flying start takes at least 1-2 secs.

• Like 1

@Fabia130vRS no need to apologise, as Carmine says, it was WAY back on the start of this thread somewhere that the rules were explained, we've been having so much fun since then that they sort of got lost in amongst the complaining about joy of racing.  Looking at your video, I reckon you could get another 3-4 laps in the time,  I had one of my front wheels ON the marker when I was doing my turns, you did probably 3 feet more than me per marker LOL and when you see the results posted you'll understand why I'm crying over my kids deducting me a lap. I need to get a video camera setup for our next race, great fun to watch. By the way, we use heavy rubber discs as markers for this track design, they generally stay put even if you drive over them rather than getting knocked out of place. :)

@Carmine A yeah, I added stacks of negative camber to the rear of Stig Eater 5-8 degrees I think it was - it massively reduced grip roll issues (in conjunction with lowering) AND reduced the loss of traction caused by too wide a tyre on a light car. I was probably only running on 50% of the rear tyre most of the time, my fronts had less camber and grippier tyres. They would bite hard into the turn when I lifted off the throttle because the thundershot nose dives under braking and gets better grip but slides the back end around. I don't think I even needed to brake once on my best run, just sharp backing off throttle was enough. Glad I swapped the Reedy 19T for the Kyosho 22T, the lower power motor worked much better on this round, in fact my daughter with a new silver can is VERY close to my lap times!!!! (proving that outright top speed was not a concern for this round)

EDIT: Another thing this postal racing has taught me - the Thundershot makes a damned better race car than the Avante2001. It is just so much easier and quicker to maintain, repair or make setup changes to, not to mention the Thundershot is now quicker, better handling and a better jumper too! :) swapping to LiPo has transformed the buggy!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mud4fun said:

@Fabia130vRS no need to apologise, as Carmine says, it was WAY back on the start of this thread somewhere that the rules were explained, we've been having so much fun since then that they sort of got lost in amongst the complaining about joy of racing.  Looking at your video, I reckon you could get another 3-4 laps in the time,  I had one of my front wheels ON the marker when I was doing my turns, you did probably 3 feet more than me per marker LOL and when you see the results posted you'll understand why I'm crying over my kids deducting me a lap. I need to get a video camera setup for our next race, great fun to watch. By the way, we use heavy rubber discs as markers for this track design, they generally stay put even if you drive over them rather than getting knocked out of place. 

First of all I must say...

I counted wrong. It was less then. Todays run had two more laps them yesterdays.

preparing the second video now from today.

as for the cones, me and my buddy are using Carson cones when we meet for a racing duel.

makes it much smoother and faster then using these tires as cones.

those are some moments I keep in good memory, full throttle cuting corners over cones while chasing the car in-front of you. :D

• Like 2

First of all I must say...

I counted wrong. It was less then. Todays run had two more laps them yesterdays.

preparing the second video now from today.

as for the cones, me and my buddy are using Carson cones when we meet for a racing duel.

makes it much smoother and faster then using these tires as cones.

those are some moments I keep in good memory, full throttle cuting corners over cones while chasing the car in-front of you. :D

You are going to end up as addicted to it as me..... been trying to better my times for a week now....getting nowhere, the harder I push, the worse my times!

Weather doesn't help, I've been practising on the lawn but it has been raining most of the time so after a few hundreds laps it now resembles the somme.... :o

also had never really noticed how much of a dip there is in the lawn where the drain cover is until you hit it at speed in a buggy and it launches in the air :D

• Like 1

As an indirect consequence of my 1:1 car's battery suddenly dying, I found myself with some unexpected free time.

Next thing I knew I was setting up for the postal challenge, taking advantage of such time. Only issue, I didn't have my buggies on me. I only had my loyal vintage Big Boss... so I though, why not?? 

Now that you guys are talking F1, it's perfect time for a new participant to rock up in a monster truck 🤣

Found some cones and a pumpking, good enuff to give it a try. 

Counting all the excuses such as it was my first time ever, it's a vintage truck running on a NiCd pack, and on and on, I'd say the Boss delivered quite a solid performance! It was fun to see it carve its way through the winding little track (often on two wheels while steering!).

I barely got started but I already had SO MUCH FUN doing this today! I totally get how it can quickly become addictive, and probably it already is to me. Can't wait to try this out with my Manta Ray.

It's fun also because it is quite challenging for the driver, too. It's not easy to be consistent when you have to put tue obliterated cones back into place while driving, lol.

And now, time to write down the results and PM them (and no worries, I'm sure these will not be competitive!)

I'm so glad to finally be part of this 😀

This is my track

20201020-162313.jpg

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

Now that you guys are talking F1, it's perfect time for a new participant to rock up in a monster truck 🤣

Don't worry, I think a lot of us are still running vintage buggies so we'll leave the F1's to fight it out amongst themselves.

I had planned on doing an attempt at this round with my King Blackfoot but sadly I still haven't managed to source replacement parts for the damage it suffered in round 2, the front end is currently held together with cable ties and it even has a cable tie holding the servo saver together..... I doubt it would last 1 minute let alone 5 minutes around this demanding course.

Glad you enjoyed it, it is great fun, the kids and I love it and it gives them something to look forward too as almost all their other normal activities have been cancelled this year. 

PS. What is that being used as a marker? looks like a red apple with a face on it???

5 hours ago, mud4fun said:

What is that being used as a marker? looks like a red apple with a face on it???

It's a small pumpkin from the halloween decoration 🎃

I only had four cones, so I grabbed the first thing available for the center one

• Like 1

Pumpking is looking amused. :D 

here we go, again with F1. THE VIDEO... 

and for todays attempt, I am making my shelfer ready today and give it a go.

the 1967 Abarth TCR1000 Berlina Corsa on the correct 90s chassis. The body is a re-production of an M05.

M02 with a 19T LRP brushed motor I bought as a kid in the 90s.

rkWxyO8.jpg
new tires

Dni0DkF.jpg

• Like 4

here we go, again with F1. THE VIDEO... 

Nice smooth driving and nice car, my youngest daughter quite fancies an F1 car :)

After watching your video though, I think I need to apologise to youngest mudlet. She too was taking wide lines around the centre marker and having to slow down to avoid hitting my LapMonitor timing system base unit which was on the inside of the start/finish line. I think she has a point that it probably caused her to lose time so I should have kept it in place for middle mudlets runs even though her car had no transponder fitted so they basically had the same 'obstacle' to avoid.

• Like 1

@mud4fun yes trying not to run down an obstacle is for sure causing loss of precious seconds. ;) but raises awareness.

And after I had to do some quick maintenance  and my M02  was ready for a run. 

lnjyBwn.jpg

after the F1's this was a boat to drive, leans to the right, leans to the left hah but fun, its all fun.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

after the F1's this was a boat to drive, leans to the right, leans to the left hah but fun, its all fun.

hehe, enjoyed that, you got much smoother towards the end but can't believe how much it rolls, is it a heavy ABS shell? - looks fab, loving the rear end detail. Rolls more than my buggy and corners worse....hehehe, all good fun though. Lovely to see such a diverse collection of cars doing the same track. I love the video. You have really tempted me to sort out a video and a youtube account for our races.

• Like 1

The abarth looks really cool I love it but the driver looks like a bit of a plug though 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, mud4fun said:

hehe, enjoyed that, you got much smoother towards the end but can't believe how much it rolls, is it a heavy ABS shell? - looks fab, loving the rear end detail. Rolls more than my buggy and corners worse....hehehe, all good fun though. Lovely to see such a diverse collection of cars doing the same track. I love the video. You have really tempted me to sort out a video and a youtube account for our races.

I think its just how this chassis is made.

and with the battery being on top of the chassis, it gives it a high center of gravity.

but really enjoyed this run. Like it really was a historical event haha

I would like to see also other members runs, thats is why I am filming it. Since just writing about it feels wrong in my opinion. Give mee pictures give videos haha but honestly makes it a lot easier counting laps as I do not own a lap timer thingy :)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

makes it a lot easier counting laps as I do not own a lap timer thingy :)

Trust me the lap timing system opens you up to a whole new world of troubles....

It is now so addictive that I'm finding great amusement in lunchtimes just trying to beat my own times by points of a second, sad I know but honestly is fun. 

It is good though, no more manual counting AND you get a nice race commentary from a lovely young lady who shouts out my fastest lap for me :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

....I would like to see also other Member's runs, thats is why I am filming it. Since just writing about it feels wrong in my opinion. Give meee pictures give videos haha but honestly makes it a lot easier counting laps as I do not own a lap timer thingy :)

I'll try to Video my next one - BUT AFTER the Results. Again, we don't want to give anything away before the actual results are Posted by TurnipJF. 

For some, seeing a very good Run might dissuade them from even trying...

And for some others seeing more than one "not so good" Run may cause them to maybe not try AS hard, thinking that their chances are better. All I'm saying is - running without preconceived notions, allows all of us to simply compete against Ourselves, and then have a laugh after the Results are Posted. 😉

..... For me Personally, reading that F-1 Cars and Nitro Cars were coming out, ALMOST made me not bother!! 😖 

However, remembering the thoughts of Page One... I realised that this is for FUN. 😊  We go out on the prescribed Track, do the best we can - try not to BREAK anything - and find out AFTERWARDS how well we did against fellow RC Friends!! 👍👍

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

Trust me the Lap Timing system opens you up to a whole new world of troubles....

It is now so addictive that I'm finding great amusement in lunchtimes just trying to beat my own times by points of a second, sad I know but honestly is fun.  :)

I can't wait to be able to afford a Lap Timing thingy... This last one, there were SO many Laps - I LOST COUNT the first time!!! 😖😠😭  It COULD have been my best run, but I'll never know. I had to have my Daughter and a Neighbor count off for me, to keep me honest. 

And YES, as Anal Competitive as I am, I can see myself trying to shave TENTHS of a second!!! 😖😂

• Like 2