TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 45 takes us to Anderstorp!

13 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

I like my cones for the track, too bad they get shot far away every time the cars hit them. A good improvement in my case would be to somehow anchor or nail them to the ground, maybe next time I will.

Glad you enjoyed yourself!! :)

Yes we feel the same, it has lifted the hobby enormously for myself and my children. Our cars are also now looked at as potential 'race cars' rather than bashers. To be fair we had been racing amogst ourselves for many years on garden tracks BUT this lifts it to the next level. :wub:

The cones are an issue. We started with the small plastic cones but they kept getting knocked miles when we hit them so we switched to larger cones that I fitted with heavy rubber pads. These worked amazingly well in the sense that they wouldn't budge when hit BUT had the rather nasty side affect of launching any car that hit them into the air - at high speed this resulted in alot of damage! So we now use flat rubber discs for markers on the fast sections and the rubber footed cones on the tight slow bends. The markers rarely move now even when driven over and the cones stop corner cutting on the slow bends while the flat discs are zero risk to vehicles at higher speeds.

We use the FORZA flat disc markers (heavy rubber) and the FORZA training cones. The rubber discs and cones have 3 holes drilled in them equispaced around the circumference so they can be wired together with garden wire when needed but because the cones are quite shallow angle I would not recommend them for faster sections as the cars will ride up them (once weighed down by the heavy rubber feet) instead of knocking them out of  the away.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

The cones are an issue. We started with the small plastic cones but they kept getting knocked miles when we hit them

I was having the same trouble with the small flower pots I was using. Fortunately I had a roll of masking tape in my toolbox at the time so I just stuck an X on the ground so i could still see a marker. 

• Like 4

@mud4fun thanks for the tip, and glad you and your girls share the feelings about the cars :D

I am using dollarstore cones (literally, as they come in 4-packs that are 4 $ each) with chalk markers under them so that I can quickly locate their place when knocked over. They are great for visibility but quite light and brittle, when hit by the cars they get knocked far away but in a way this is also an incentive for me to drive more precisely! 

But yeah it does get quite annoying when you hit one towards the end of the run and have to lose precious seconds to place it back! I'm having second thoughts about nailing them down, I think I'll try to weigh them down instead and see how that goes. They are hollow, so that will be easy to figure out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It hasn’t rained for months, so I charged 2 batteries and the heavens open 🙄.

So with a reluctant trip to Bunnings with Mrs RB I only really had one thing on my mind. With some knowledge gleaned from the extensive research done for the ideal track marker I came across some heavy rubber door mats for 6 bucks.

So cutting around a paint tin making a hole for a zip tie and super gluing chopped up reflective material from an unused cycling band I now have these....

F8DAAA23-A78F-4FC9-876B-4AD93DC26911.jpg

I’m just hoping the rain will stop (unlikely) or else there maybe a covered in car park I could use.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Ferruz said:

...Funny how I suddenly see my cars from a completely different perspective now that the are...ehm... "racers" and not just weekend bashers... they somehow get more respect :lol: Is it the same for you?....

ABSOLUTELY!! I used to Race Professionally in the 80's and 90's. But this is different. It's FUN. Except for the Camera (😭😖), nothing has broken, knock wood.

• Like 4

.... I see that several of you also have trouble with markers.  The Food Cans worked - were humorous but actually DENTED my CRX, hitting one!! 😖 

I followed @Re-Bugged's lead, and simply used Duct Tape "X's". They work, are easy to see on Tarmac, and hurt nothing when run over! 😉  I'm sticking with that.

• Like 2

My track markers have followed a similar evolution, starting out as rubber cones, moving to cones on duct tape markers, and now consisting of duct tape alone. This way I feel more confident about running cars with nicer/rarer bodyshells, but it also means that I have to be extra vigilant/honest about corner cutting. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

My track markers have followed a similar evolution, starting out as rubber cones, moving to cones on duct tape markers, and now consisting of duct tape alone. This way I feel more confident about running cars with nicer/rarer bodyshells, but it also means that I have to be extra vigilant/honest about corner cutting. 

We've been using the rule that as long as at least one wheel goes the correct side of the marker then fair enough but they docked me a lap because all four of mine came the wrong side, we're only taking 0.3 seconds gained but with five cones per lap that is actually an extra lap or two over the 5 min race, we've really noticed this now we are using the blasted lap timer. Never would have noticed when we just had people manually counting laps..... sort of shot myself in the foot there :D

• Like 1

Yay, it stopped raining enough to get out for a drive, and the new markers worked a treat. (sorry video is a bit on the long side 😬)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Yay, it stopped raining enough to get out for a drive, and the new markers worked a treat. (sorry video is a bit on the long side 😬)

That was brilliant! :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

I managed to get a go at this yesterday and it was a lot of fun, if somewhat frustrating!

I thought the carpark at the end of the road was smooth asphalt, and that running a 4wd car without the propshaft in 2wd mode with road tyres would be ok.

Unfortunately the carpark was actually broken asphalt and concrete with lots of gravel and clumps of grass cuttings. Oh, and it was damp too. So every time I used more than half throttle the car swapped ends in a heartbeat.

I could have moved the cones (well, blocks of wood) around a bit to make sure that they weren't right next to patches of gravel, two of the five were and I found it difficult to change how I made the turn on different surfaces.

What I should have done was pop the pinspikes back on, and reinstall the centre propshaft to go back to 4wd mode. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to do it and then compare the two runs. My guess is I'd probably get another 20% more laps in. Means I'll just have to try it on the next race!

• Like 5

Managed to make it out to my car park venue. All three kids in the car, so my run time was limited by the attention span of a 10 month :D

These three protagonists for today.

TA06R, M07 with untrimmed body posts as I'm still checking the ride height, and the F104 Pro II.

4EE8BA9D-3851-4A14-92B6-42ACADE77956_1_2

TA06R is a veteran of TC speed runs a few years ago, and hasn't run since a 3S destroyed it's Super Stock motor in my nievity (still smells a bit of burnt motor too). New body though, which did look good under the flourescent lights.

M07 is freshly built, so first run for this one.

F104 Pro II has been mostly built for a couple of years, so a but of sticking body work on (but no driver head :D) and we're ready to rumble.

Having never run an F1, I got that going first. Lots of end swapping at first as I started to realise that full throttle was not required at all. Nice feel to it, be great to have more time. A few issues with leaves getting stuck under it, but not enough to stop it.

M07 up next. I started to notice tyre temperature with this one. Not great at first, but once we got going it started to go a lot better. I think I'll need to spend more time with this one to start to love it, as when the run was done I wasn't ready for another.

TA06R - wow. After the M07 it felt so nice, sooo smooth. A few donuts to generate a bit of heat and then it just got better and better. Perhaps the tyres are better suited for the concrete. As you can see from the photo it's not the smoothest or cleanest of surfaces, but it is level. I might have to try round 2's track with this one, and see how I do against the TA02SW I ran for that. Small hiccup mid run, when the spur worked loose (it's normally the pinion right?), but back in action soon enough. Motor was quite hot at the end, so some learning to do there on the gearing with a silver can.

Glad I managed to get out, and pleased I remembered to bring snack to keep the little uns occupied for the 3.5 runs :D

Lap wise I'm only a litle bit further down the road than my wet grass buggy runs, so I'm looking forward to see how the timing board shapes up with everyone's entries.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Lap wise I'm only a litle bit further down the road than my wet grass buggy runs, so I'm looking forward to see how the timing board shapes up with everyone's entries.

I tried a few of my buggies on grass but even with large spikes they still came in a lot slower than my tarmac runs. However, when I say grass, it was more like mud plus some grass tufts scattered around and it was very wet (it was even muddier when I'd finished). :lol:

My Avante2001 got especially dreadful lap times on the grass, bit bizarre really because even running with large spikes on tarmac it could do better lap times, I think because I could slide the back end around the markers on tarmac it actually resulted in faster laps but the spikes just bit into the muddy grass and it would roll rather than slide. It DNF'd the tarmac attempt because it broke again and it barely scraped a full 5 mins on the grass because it overheated plus a nasty roll broken it a 2nd time in 2 days (4th time in 2 rounds).....

All our Thundershots annihilated the Avante class in this round, no breakages, quicker times and 10x more reliable especially in the wet with their better weather protection and less fragile chassis. The sort of car you can just pickup off the shelf, fit a battery and run a race, hose down afterwards and put back on shelf. The Avantes are more like an F1 car level of prep and maintenance......(and cost LOL)

7 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

I tried a few of my buggies on grass but even with large spikes they still came in a lot slower than my tarmac runs. However, when I say grass, it was more like mud plus some grass tufts scattered around and it was very wet (it was even muddier when I'd finished). :lol:

Hehe, yeah, there’s a track layout carved in to my garden now too!

I found the turning circle for my Avante and my Top Force was too much for the tight course and my tight garden. Whereas the Optima with 2.2s was much more willing and able. Perhaps if my garden was wider I could accommodate the bigger arc and be smoother, such as was possible with the F1 in a car park.  

All good fun though, I do feel I’m starting to understand differences in car behaviour better, even if I’ve yet to learn if it’s good or bad, or what to do about it :D

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

I do feel I’m starting to understand differences in car behaviour better, even if I’ve yet to learn if it’s good or bad, or what to do about it :D

hehe, same here! :D

All I know is that after the changes to my Thundershot this round it ran superbly on tarmac, better than any other car we own BUT I was a complete idiot, I made all the changes in one go without testing each one individually so now I have no idea which change made the biggest (or any) difference for this particular design of track ARRRGGGHHH! 

I made the following changes for round 3:

• Fitted shorter firmer springs
  • lowered buggy to just 12mm ground clearance
  • modified chassis to fit a lightweight 2S LiPo in instead of the heavy 8.4v NiCd
  • swapped motor from the Reedy19T to a 22T Kyosho truck motor
  • changed pinion size from 14 to 13 tooth
  • added masses of negative camber
  • used carpet tyres

So take your pick, which ones made the difference??? I should have gone and done some runs with the lap monitor timing it after each change. sigh. 

• Like 2

and yet still youngest mudlet came within 0.5 second a lap of my times running a bl**dy silver can!!!!! aaaarrrrggghhhhhh

EDIT: I'm not sure if it is my driving that is especially bad or her driving especially good - I like to believe it is the latter......:D

Oh and you want to know the worst - youngest mudlet proclaimed today that she hadn't really pushed that hard because she didn't want to risk crashing and scratching her shell again....... <sobbing>

EDIT: You have to put this in context, imagine the scene, there I was racing on the ragged edge of out of control, pushing so hard to gain an extra 0.1 seconds per lap that I would merrily risk total destruction of my buggy..... and youngest mudlet turns up, drives around like on a 'sunday drive' and on one lap actually got within 0.3 seconds of me......

EDIT2: I think I may just give up on the buggies, buy a tank and race that, at least I'd be in a class of my own and they can;t afford a tank and it is way out of their xmas budget LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Took a couple more runs today. The Hornet, even if just by a few seconds,  achieved the same amount of laps as the Manta Ray 🤔

• Like 3

Laps: Participant: Chassis: Motor: Battery: Surface: Weight: Best lap:
64 Carmine A TT-02S SM RRRR GT4 Reedy 17t 3S LiPo tarmac 1648g  
49 Carmine A M-05 (225mm) Torque Tuned 3S LiPo tarmac 1429g  
40 TurnipJF F103RS 21.5t Trackstar 2S LiPo tarmac   6.9s
36 Team Nessie (DayRider) M-06 Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH tarmac    
35 TurnipJF Thundershot GT Tuned 2S LiPo tarmac   8.3s
34 jupitertwo TA-06R Silver can 2S LiPo concrete    
33 Mud4fun Thundershot "Stig Eater" Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem 22T motor 2S LiPo tarmac 1387g 8.26s
32 Youngest Mudlet Thundershot Silver can 7.2V NiMH tarmac 1558g 8.7s
31 TurnipJF TT-01 Rally 13.5t Bluebottle 2S LiPo tarmac (W)    
31 TurnipJF M-03 Wide Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH tarmac (w)    
31 Fabia130vRS F103 (F104 conversion) 13.5t Trackstar 2S LiPo tennis court    
31 jupitertwo M-07 Etronix Brushless 3450kV 2S LiPo concrete    
30 jupitertwo F104 Pro II Silver can 2S LiPo
concrete with leaves

29 Fabia130vRS F103LM 10.5t LRP 2S LiPo tennis court    
29 Middle Mudlet Terra Scorcher Reedy 19t 7.2V NiMH tarmac 1606g 9.4s
29 Re-Bugged Wild One 13.5t brushless 2S LiPo concrete (w)    
27 Re-Bugged Kyosho Javelin Scorcher 13.5t brushless 2S LiPo grass (W)    
27 Ferruz Manta Ray 13.5t Bluebottle 7.2V NiMH
cracked tarmac/gravel
  9.68s
27 Ferruz Hornet Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH
cracked tarmac/gravel
  11.07s
26 Mud4fun Thundershot "Stig Eater" Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem 22T motor 2S LiPo grass (W) 1387g 10.27s
26 Mud4fun Vanquish 13T Dyna Run Super Touring 7.2V NiMH grass (W)   10.5s
26 Middle Mudlet Thundershot Tamiya Super Stock RR 7.2V NiMH grass (W)    
25 Mud4fun Avante 2001 13T Dyna Run Super Touring 2S LiPo grass (W)   9.9s
25 jupitertwo Optima re-re Le Mans 490 2S LiPo grass (W)    
25 TurnipJF TT-01 Rally 13.5t Bluebottle 2S LiPo
cracked concrete/gravel

24 Fabia130vRS M02 13t brushed 2S LiPo tennis court    
22 Ferruz Kyosho Big Boss Le Mans 05 Stock 7.2V NiMH
cracked tarmac/gravel
  12.49s
21 TButton TL-01 Rally Silver can 7.2V NiMH
cracked concrete/gravel

21 jupitertwo Konghead 15.5t brushless 2S LiPo grass (W)    
19 jupitertwo Top Force Sport Tuned 2S LiPo grass (W)    
19 EvilSpike Terra Scorcher Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH cracked tarmac/gravel (w) 1725g  
18 Mr Sooty TL-01B 19t brushed 7.2V NiMH
cracked concrete/gravel

An amazing result from @Carmine A and his TT-02S SM RRRR GT4 with an average lap time of 4.69s! It looks like all the effort with slop reduction paid off. Or perhaps it is all the R's!

And of course well done to all of the individual class winners!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Holy CRAP I didn't think it was THAT Good!!! 😲😲😊  I credit both Cars with lack of any appreciable SLOP - and lots of Grip.  I'd give high Speed only a secondary role, as there was very little Straight Runs... 

I'm literally floored!

• Like 4

@DayRider and I didn't do so well in the last one - but did great on this one... 

It should be obvious, but I think we're all going to find one Track configuration more suited to our skill and style than others. 

I've discovered something about myself. I did bluddy awful on the last run, because of my reaction times - which have always been fast... Custom made for this short, twisty Course. 

However on the last run, with the REALLY long straights, I kept overreacting! My Mind wanted that Turn, and kept constantly reacting BEFORE the Turns! Really killed my overall performance.

.... I did however have a whole lot more grip and control than I had anytime before. It's at least proof that my silly tricks actually WORKED! 😉

• Like 5

I am happy to be a step away from the top 10. Next track I will try many more times and put in more effort in the F1 class

• Like 4

Many thanks again @TurnipJF for organising and compiling the results. (and for getting a thundershot so high up the table!)

A seriously eclectic mix of cars this time! :wub:

Shows how demanding (as against outright speed) round 3 track was that we have silver cans relatively high up the results table :) 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I am happy to be a step away from the top 10. Next track I will try many more times and put in more effort in the F1 class

You were in top 10 if you say you were joint 9th :) 

Seems 27-31 laps was quite popular - four cars on 31 laps, three on 29 laps and three on 27 laps.

Most of our attempts fell into that band, we only managed to just better that on a couple of tries out of literally dozens and dozens of attempts. 

• Like 2