TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

On 9/29/2020 at 11:24 PM, Dakratfink said:

Mine is running a Dynamite 15T brushed motor with a HW 1060 esc 

Just been out for a run around the new layout with my G6-01.

Suffice it to say that I don't think it will be quicker than a touring car!

One advantage though - it could carry its own track markers.

2020-10-01_12-23-35

Edit: Yup, as anticipated, even my 27t brushed almost-stock FF-02 managed more laps, despite being on NiMH as opposed to the 2S LiPo of the G6-01.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So I've been following this thread since the beginning and think it's a great idea 💡! I didn't manage to get anything sorted for the first round but just completed this track with my eldest (he's 13). He beat me 😫. It's great to see so many people coming together and giving this a go.

As per the rules, I won't reveal here the laps completed. It was a vintage buggy on a less than ideal surface (for racing). We used plant pots for markers, which lasted all of about 2 laps before getting seriously rearranged.

I had planned to use a number of different buggies but unfortunately mother nature had other ideas. If possible, I will use some different buggies before this round closes, depending on work/school/life commitments.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Silver-Can said:

just completed this track with my eldest (he's 13). He beat me 😫

Join the queue..... :lol: 

I am going to try much harder this time to make sure I don't get beaten by my daughter, might even be forced into sabotage....

12 minutes ago, Silver-Can said:

I had planned to use a number of different buggies but unfortunately mother nature had other ideas. If possible, I will use some different buggies before this round closes, depending on work/school/life commitments.

Don't worry, we haven't been able to setup and do any laps yet as we have to go to the local park for it and at the moment I work till 5:30pm and my daughters are at school. By the time they get back and have had tea it is too dark, we only really get a chance to do the races at weekends so we'll be doing our practise this weekend and timed laps next weekend.

• Like 1

ooh yeah - sabotage sounds like the way forward 😀😜👍. Those young whipper-snappers with their quick reactions and perfect vision...we need every advantage we can get..."no son, i don't know why your wheel fell off half way through your lap" 🤭🤭

10 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Don't worry, we haven't been able to setup and do any laps yet as we have to go to the local park for it and at the moment I work till 5:30pm and my daughters are at school. By the time they get back and have had tea it is too dark, we only really get a chance to do the races at weekends so we'll be doing our practise this weekend and timed laps next weekend.

In our topsey-turvey world at the moment, I'm restricted to working at the weekend only, typically all weekend, so I don't get much opportunity there. Fortunately, I'm around during the week so have the opportunity to nip out places when he's finished school - for now at least. Luckily, all my buggies have spotlights so some night driving might be in order 🌙

• Like 2

@TurnipJF we've been testing the new LapMonitor lap timing system and while it generally works great there is a slight issue with it that means we have a problem with your proposed track layout for round 2.

If a cars transponder goes within 4 feet of the receiver unit even if it is behind the lens it can trigger the lapmonitor to count a lap, so we need to position our start/finish line in a position that allows more than 6 feet behind the unit to where any cars will be driving. Also the unit has to be in the middle of the layout pointing outwards to avoid it detecting cars passing it on another part of the track as it detects those as far as 10 feet away. 

So in light of this, would it be OK for me to have a start/finish line at the left hand end of the track layout (as shown in your video) rather than at the right side? That area has more space available to position the LapMonitor receiver on the inside of the track (pointing outwards but also far enough away from the driving line behind it. I'm not sure it will make much difference to the overall lap counts?

The lapmonitor seems to work pretty well other than that. It reliably counted laps that my daughter did as a test, she ran around a circle for 100 laps and it never miscounted at all (once we had alleviated the issue with coming too close behind it). The app on the Android phone is superb, dead easy to use, my youngest daughter set the drivers up against the transponder ID's in literally a minute flat, then setup a race and had it all working within 5 mins.

We have found the thundershots are NOT easy cars to fit transponders to as the transponders have to be mounted flat with their LED pointing sideways out of the car. This is impossible under the shell and inside a bathtub. So we found that we had to tie wrap them to the rear shock tower, that worked fine but is a bit exposed in the event of a roll over or rear end collision. The Avante and Vanquish are simple to install transponders in as you velcro them to the top deck. On the Avante2001 you don't even need to drill a hole for the LED to 'see out' of because the whole rear body is cut away anyway and a part of the top deck just in front of the gearbox is ideal for the transponder.

We have two different designs of transponders and we've found the ones with the LED on an extension lead are best for the thundershot (or I guess any bathtub buggy) because the LED can then be fitted into a hole drill in the shell or routed ip to the top of the shock towers leaving the transponder itself sat in the safety of the tub.

6 hours ago, mud4fun said:

So in light of this, would it be OK for me to have a start/finish line at the left hand end of the track layout (as shown in your video) rather than at the right side?

Sure, not a problem. The position of the start/finish line only has a bearing on the standing start, so as long as you aren't disadvantaging yourself by putting it on a corner, I see no reason not to put it where it works for you. 

• Thanks 2

On 10/1/2020 at 10:59 PM, mud4fun said:

@TurnipJF we've been testing the new LapMonitor lap timing system and while it generally works great there is a slight issue with it that means we have a problem with your proposed track layout for round 2.

If a cars transponder goes within 4 feet of the receiver unit even if it is behind the lens it can trigger the lapmonitor to count a lap, so we need to position our start/finish line in a position that allows more than 6 feet behind the unit to where any cars will be driving. Also the unit has to be in the middle of the layout pointing outwards to avoid it detecting cars passing it on another part of the track as it detects those as far as 10 feet away. 

So in light of this, would it be OK for me to have a start/finish line at the left hand end of the track layout (as shown in your video) rather than at the right side? That area has more space available to position the LapMonitor receiver on the inside of the track (pointing outwards but also far enough away from the driving line behind it. I'm not sure it will make much difference to the overall lap counts?

The lapmonitor seems to work pretty well other than that. It reliably counted laps that my daughter did as a test, she ran around a circle for 100 laps and it never miscounted at all (once we had alleviated the issue with coming too close behind it). The app on the Android phone is superb, dead easy to use, my youngest daughter set the drivers up against the transponder ID's in literally a minute flat, then setup a race and had it all working within 5 mins.

We have found the thundershots are NOT easy cars to fit transponders to as the transponders have to be mounted flat with their LED pointing sideways out of the car. This is impossible under the shell and inside a bathtub. So we found that we had to tie wrap them to the rear shock tower, that worked fine but is a bit exposed in the event of a roll over or rear end collision. The Avante and Vanquish are simple to install transponders in as you velcro them to the top deck. On the Avante2001 you don't even need to drill a hole for the LED to 'see out' of because the whole rear body is cut away anyway and a part of the top deck just in front of the gearbox is ideal for the transponder.

We have two different designs of transponders and we've found the ones with the LED on an extension lead are best for the thundershot (or I guess any bathtub buggy) because the LED can then be fitted into a hole drill in the shell or routed ip to the top of the shock towers leaving the transponder itself sat in the safety of the tub.

Could you please let me know what app you are using?

1 hour ago, DayRider said:

Could you please let me know what app you are using?

We are using the LapMonitor app, it requires a LapMonitor base unit and a transponder fitting to each car.

You connect the base unit to your phone using bluetooth and then each transponder that is active shows up on the app and you can set a driver name against them. 

The app gives a running commentary of the race or practise session, records lap times, fastest laps and distance travelled (if you measure the track first and feed that into the app) and the race data can be downloaded.

We paid approx. £200 for the starter kit (JR) plus two additional transponders which included shipping from France to the UK.

The system uses Infra Red so it is not as reliable as the pukka race systems but then again it doesn't cost £3K which is what a MyLaps system would cost!

Having said that, for the price it works pretty well, once you have figured out the best place to put the base unit next to the track and worked out the best mounting place for the transponder in the car. It can mistakenly detect cars passing nearby and not on the lane being monitored which is its main problem, however that can be rectified by just siting it pointing outwards across the finish line and making sure there is about 10 feet behind it clear of other parts of the track.

Sadly the weather has been dreadful here for almost every day since we got it so we've not had chance to do a proper long race with all three cars. I promise to do a full and detailed review once we get chance to properly test it in anger. Would be unfair to review it before then.

I'm hoping the weather improves by next weekend otherwise we are gonna struggle to get chance to compete in this round. I got out today and managed to do some performance tests on the newly rebuilt Avante2001 but it started raining and very windy after 30 mins. :-(

I managed to get some top speed readings and had a general drive about to test the new hobbywing 1060 ESC,  which seems to be coping with the 13t Dyna Run Super Touring motor at the moment albeit only on 7.2v. I will try with 8.4v next weekend. I need to drill some holes in my new carbon decks to relocate a body post forward to allow the 8.4v pack to fit but I'm holding off until my new LiPo arrives to make sure that fits too. Don't want to end up with multiple random holes drilled all over my lovely new carbon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice day for it, even though a bit windy but managed to find a fairly sheltered empty carpark. 

My three weapons of choice...

WERtB7WReyh7wRUfuz9QQ.jpg

Had an absolute blast trying this 😀,

The Blitzer seemed to turn its attention more towards a battering ram in warms ups demolishing most of the markers original positions, mainly by the driver having to much fun..

tDfBVe4pSWzXYslrFDaYQ.md.jpg

Sadly the Porsche had to retire after broken hub carrier from a slight connection with said drivers ankle, putting a crack in the body too. Whoops, oh well thats racing as they say 🙃 😉, we have the technology to rebuild 👍🏻

xnwnqQADSA6BDffBsz4sA.md.jpg

Although the M08 Mini needs a few finishing touches, this was a great opportunity to get to know it, and must say I loved it. A great tool to hone one's smooth driving skills 😃

lG0bo14uRuKghWOBUC5Npw.md.jpg

Thanks for getting this going @TurnipJF, It makes for such a more enjoyable experience ripping up a carpark with a purpose, and a refreshing alternative to the Off-Road I normally do using a couple of cars that would otherwise just be gathering dust.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mud4fun said:

We are using the LapMonitor app, it requires a LapMonitor base unit and a transponder fitting to each car.

You connect the base unit to your phone using bluetooth and then each transponder that is active shows up on the app and you can set a driver name against them. 

The app gives a running commentary of the race or practise session, records lap times, fastest laps and distance travelled (if you measure the track first and feed that into the app) and the race data can be downloaded.

We paid approx. £200 for the starter kit (JR) plus two additional transponders which included shipping from France to the UK.

The system uses Infra Red so it is not as reliable as the pukka race systems but then again it doesn't cost £3K which is what a MyLaps system would cost!

Having said that, for the price it works pretty well, once you have figured out the best place to put the base unit next to the track and worked out the best mounting place for the transponder in the car. It can mistakenly detect cars passing nearby and not on the lane being monitored which is its main problem, however that can be rectified by just siting it pointing outwards across the finish line and making sure there is about 10 feet behind it clear of other parts of the track.

Sadly the weather has been dreadful here for almost every day since we got it so we've not had chance to do a proper long race with all three cars. I promise to do a full and detailed review once we get chance to properly test it in anger. Would be unfair to review it before then.

I'm hoping the weather improves by next weekend otherwise we are gonna struggle to get chance to compete in this round. I got out today and managed to do some performance tests on the newly rebuilt Avante2001 but it started raining and very windy after 30 mins. :-(

I managed to get some top speed readings and had a general drive about to test the new hobbywing 1060 ESC,  which seems to be coping with the 13t Dyna Run Super Touring motor at the moment albeit only on 7.2v. I will try with 8.4v next weekend. I need to drill some holes in my new carbon decks to relocate a body post forward to allow the 8.4v pack to fit but I'm holding off until my new LiPo arrives to make sure that fits too. Don't want to end up with multiple random holes drilled all over my lovely new carbon!

mate I know what you mean, I'm up in the Highlands of Scotland and it hasn't stopped raining. had a bit of a rekey in the towns multi-story car park as a last resort. the concrete in there has been painted, so its super slippery. Trying to rack my brain to find a pace with a roof and tarmac, have my eye on a petrol station that shuts at 22.30 but I'm not sure the track will fit between the pumps. i think its meant to get better Tuesday/ Wednesday, I want to get a good run in this time as it was a poor attempt last time . Really enjoying the challenge. I run a 10bl60 in one of my other chassis, great little esc. I'm using the drag brake, I can really push it into the corners. I have the punch set low, stops a lot of wheel spin and saves the tires.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, DayRider said:

mate I know what you mean, I'm up in the Highlands of Scotland and it hasn't stopped raining. had a bit of a rekey in the towns multi-story car park as a last resort. the concrete in there has been painted, so its super slippery. Trying to rack my brain to find a pace with a roof and tarmac, have my eye on a petrol station that shuts at 22.30 but I'm not sure the track will fit between the pumps. i think its meant to get better Tuesday/ Wednesday, I want to get a good run in this time as it was a poor attempt last time . Really enjoying the challenge. I run a 10bl60 in one of my other chassis, great little esc. I'm using the drag brake, I can really push it into the corners. I have the punch set low, stops a lot of wheel spin and saves the tires.

Fingers crossed for better weather. Sods law if it is sunny during the week when I'm at work and the kids are at school, we only get chance to do the RC driving at weekend. 

Kids are adamant they want to get some laps in for this round so we may well end up doing 'wet' laps but I can't use the lap timing system in the rain so it'll be manual counting....:lol:

There is another really fun aspect to this postal racing, not just the driving. The kids and I have started to pay more attention to car setup, especially when trying to get more accuracy at speed on long straights and around cones on tarmac. Previously we had never bothered too much with that because we raced on a twisty jumpy dirt track in the garden where tracking at high speed is almost irrelevant. So doing the tarmac racing has been an eye opener. Even my youngest is now complaining that her thundershot steering is too sloppy and has demanded some new parts for it :rolleyes: (and no I'm not joking!)

• Like 2

Not stopped raining here either, but I realised we have a commuter car park in the town which is free in Sundays. So popped out this morning and found it pretty empty, except for the pigeons who were redecorating.

I’d intended just do just a recee with the baby in tow, so was just going take the TA06 I’d used for speed runs some years ago. Popped that in the car, then thought what the heck, I’ll put the TT01E and TA02SW I was think of using too in for the sake of it. Motor down to the car park, have a scout round and it’s all nice and quiet. Get the TA06 out and discover I’d not brought the right size hex driver to open the battery compartment! Good job I brought those other cars. Open up the TA02SW, and discover that it’s so long since I’ve run it, it still has Tamiya plugs on it. Thankfully there’s acres of space inside, so I added a spare ESC with plugs on and off we went.

AC71DDC1-C6FD-4445-A5D8-39BCAFB5CDFE.jpg

Markers set out, 20m is a long way! I even used an orange puck for the furthest marker to make it easier to see :D 

020D64E9-3E69-4DFC-81B0-43D49DA5A5C7.md.

Realised I’d got the layout mirrored, so needed to correct that.

I’ve never run touring cars on anything this smooth, so it was interesting to feel the tyres warming up, getting used to the braking behaviour and under/oversteer. Lots of fun, and no scrapes or bumps made me think it was fine to get a more shelfer out. (Apologies for the body posts, those will have to go now she’s venturing outside the shed!)

A5DC09FA-0180-4EA2-A8B9-AF6AEB4C350D.jpg

Woah. These are both 4wd, both on slicks, so I expected them to be very similar. Certainly not. I’m too much of a novice to pin exactly what it was, but the TT01E was much twitcher and less firm footed. It did feel more spritley , even if it was using the same lipo from the TA02SW. 

Two runs for each car before my 10 month old awoke in the car seat called an end to proceedings. I didn’t think I’d get out for this one, with it needing me to venture out in public with my ‘toy cars’, but I’m glad I did. Now I get to spend this afternoon assessing what else I can run and run faster! And thanks @TurnipJF, I’d never have tried this without this challenge. :)

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

.....Woah. These are both 4wd, both on slicks, so I expected them to be very similar. Certainly not. I’m too much of a novice to pin exactly what it was, but the TT01E was much twitcher and less firm footed. It did feel more spritley , even if it was using the same lipo from the TA02SW. 

I'm a semi-novice in this field... But in my experience, the TT-01 has similar Suspension and Steering SLOP as the TT-02.... Good Chassis... But they NEED some help. 

You don't HAVE to spend a bloodye FORTUNE on Bling Out Alumininium, if you don't want to.  I'm my TT-02 Build Thread, I point out how to tighten everything up with common items!!  I DID have to cave, and get the Yeah Racing Aluminum Ball Raced Steering Bellcrank Kit! 😁 I'm so happy with it, the stock PLASTIC with Screw Pin Steering was NEVER going to be as tight!! IMG_20201002_151624.thumb.jpg.013f16c9a96c104a65d3101e5c5cbc8d.jpg

But the rest of it is all bog standard PLASTIC - and I made it WORK!!

2 hours ago, ploots said:

@jupitertwo I absolutely love your Porsche 👍

2 hours ago, mud4fun said:

me too

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

Me THREE!! 😊💯

Thanks all ^_^ It’s great to be able to give it a run out. With nothing to collide with, moving or otherwise, it felt pretty safe to have fun.

As for sorting the steering on the TT01, I’ll have to take a look at your thread @Carmine A. I doubt I’d spend any money on it, as I doubt it’ll get much more running. The mishandling is part of the charm, if I get it too tight I won’t appreciate the TB05 etc :D

I’ll be interested to see if we get more road course runners this round, I wonder if it’s harder to find grass areas for the 20m? My local park’s grass is far too long for buggies and perhaps too well used for these sorts of shenanigans 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

I’ll be interested to see if we get more road course runners this round, I wonder if it’s harder to find grass areas for the 20m? My local park’s grass is far too long for buggies and perhaps too well used for these sorts of shenanigans 

To be honest, our garden is big enough to layout the track BUT it would involve the hassle of moving loads of plant pots, shrubs and running over a flower/veg bed or two... we just opted to run the buggies on tarmac last round and this round too. We have our own garden race track anyway but it is designed to run around the 'features' LOL

Our local rec ground has a large grass area (1 acre) but it is not mown short so is not really suitable for buggies either.

The rec ground car park is fine for us, 10yr old tarmac that is crumbling, covered in moss and is 400 feet long x 40 feet wide so it plenty big enough for us and probably more suited to buggies than low slung tarmac racers!

It actually makes a change to run the buggies on a flat'ish surface and is good fun competing against each other even if the cars are totally unsuited to the surface. At the end of the day you can just compare the results of the buggies vs the buggies on the result table and ignore the touring cars. Although in all honesty, we are just having fun and it gives the kids something to occupy them and look forward to as they have had such a dreadful year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

I'm a semi-novice in this field... But in my experience, the TT-01 has similar Suspension and Steering SLOP as the TT-02.... Good Chassis... But they NEED some help. 

You don't HAVE to spend a bloodye FORTUNE on Bling Out Alumininium, if you don't want to.  I'm my TT-02 Build Thread, I point out how to tighten everything up with common items!!  I DID have to cave, and get the Yeah Racing Aluminum Ball Raced Steering Bellcrank Kit! 😁 I'm so happy with it, the stock PLASTIC with Screw Pin Steering was NEVER going to be as tight!! IMG_20201002_151624.thumb.jpg.013f16c9a96c104a65d3101e5c5cbc8d.jpg

But the rest of it is all bog standard PLASTIC - and I made it WORK!!

What are you needing to finish this one off? I still have a few kit parts left after I upgraded a few parts on mine. If any of its any good for you?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DayRider said:

What are you needing to finish this one off? I still have a few kit parts left after I upgraded a few parts on mine. If any of its any good for you?

Just Paint, really.... Right now it's a complete Rolling Chassis, albeit with questionable Tires - but they'll WORK. I appreciate the offer!!

2 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Just Paint, really.... Right now it's a complete Rolling Chassis, albeit with questionable Tires - but they'll WORK. I appreciate the offer!!

It has been raining over my way for ages now, so I have had a good old sort out. It is starting to pile up, so I have said to to my self 'use it or loose it.' but now I'm thinking about what you said the other day, building part by part.

Did you get a body set?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DayRider said:

It has been raining over my way for ages now, so I have had a good old sort out. It is starting to pile up, so I have said to to my self 'use it or loose it.' but now I'm thinking about what you said the other day, building part by part.

Did you get a body set?

I got a NICE one!! Mustang GT4. I just need 2 cans of Tamiya Metallic Green - and I'm SET.

3 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

I got a NICE one!! Mustang GT4. I just need 2 cans of Tamiya Metallic Green - and I'm SET.

Dam!! if its the one I'm thinking of, sweet choice. I just got a body and I'm a bit ticked off because it didn't turn out to be a good perches. At the moment I just can't find any in the wheel base I want, everywhere I look they are sold out. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DayRider said:

Dam!! if its the one I'm thinking of, sweet choice. I just got a body and I'm a bit ticked off because it didn't turn out to be a good perches. At the moment I just can't find any in the wheel base I want, everywhere I look they are sold out. 

Take a look for yourself!! 😉  

It's a good thing I looked back in the Thread... I thought TODAY was the deadline! 

It's 11 October, so there MIGHT be hope for my TT-02 if I get Paint. Sure, I ran the M05... BEAUTIFUL in the straights, but pretty poor in the turns. She took her first "Roof ride" 😖 

My Friend says that the way my TT-02 is set up, it would probably BEAT his TT-02S!! I consider that quite a compliment. IF I can actually handle it... I'm no spring Chicken!!

• Like 1