TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

10 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Any more suggestions, or should we go with my version 2? I know that might disappoint youngest Mudlet, but it is a lot easier to set out for those with temporary circuits. 

@rybackwhat do you think?

....... Don't know what @ryback thinks yet, but I LOVE it!! 😊🍻🍻  With coming back from Sick List and OUT of practise - this not only fits me, but isn't too hard for the newer guys and those with limited space to get a good run! And yet it STILL looks like a QUICK, challenging Circuit! 💲👊👍👍  Well done.

The ONLY tiny detail I changed here - is to make the figgers easier for those who have Cell Phones and us Old Farts to see! 😜 spacer.png

• Like 2

I’m happy to go with this one! 

Having done a quick couple of runs however, I’m not sure if I’d call it ‘fast’ or ‘not too hard’! No real space to get speed up, and very little margin for error through the esses if you want a series of quick successive laps. I think it’s going to be a good track for improving the accuracy of my steering!

I also liked the look of @jupitertwo’s V1 track, perhaps for when lockdown loosens sufficiently to allow access to larger areas for those that need it.

• Like 1

Track design is a largely irrelevant issue to us right now...... :lol:

snow_ts.thumb.jpg.8612c9cd7b7597966da8646a941a3f58.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Thought it would be nice to give the F104 a run out...but it started snowing halfway through the first run and traction quickly went from ‘minimal’ to ‘nil’! Throttle, brake, steering...choose one.

It has a nice & tight turning circle vs my TT02, which seemed to help on this track - but the straights weren’t long enough for me to get any throttle down at all, so lap times were slower than my TT02 (even before the snow).

ECB82E80-D8C1-4EFE-8135-5DACDAE65FC0.jpeg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, ryback said:

Thought it would be nice to give the F104 a run out...but it started snowing halfway through the first run and traction quickly went from ‘minimal’ to ‘nil’! Throttle, brake, steering...choose one.

It has a nice & tight turning circle vs my TT02, which seemed to help on this track - but the straights weren’t long enough for me to get any throttle down at all, so lap times were slower than my TT02 (even before the snow).

ECB82E80-D8C1-4EFE-8135-5DACDAE65FC0.jpeg

That's a nice sticker set on your F104 there - MCI or someone else's? I tried to do a Merc paint job a couple of years ago, and it didn't work out too well.

The wheel stickers are a nice touch, that really completes the look!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jupitertwo said:

That's a nice sticker set on your F104 there - MCI or someone else's? I tried to do a Merc paint job a couple of years ago, and it didn't work out too well.

The wheel stickers are a nice touch, that really completes the look!

They're from here: https://www.rcdecals.co.uk/

The Cleland decals on the TT02 are from there as well actually - they've been good. Agree re the Pirelli decals too.

I considered doing a Merc too, but bottled it! Then Lando did a few early season heroics last year, and I thought orange would be a nice eye catching colour (literally) for an RC car - so went for an approximation of the MCL35. Haven't added a halo yet...still undecided.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, since our two fastest drivers appear to agree, this is our Round 8 track:

image.thumb.png.b64af2e460564c059d238a63f133a433.png

As before, entries to be submitted via email please, to tcpostalracing@gmail.com

Shall we run this round until midnight on the last Sunday of February, which I believe is the 28th?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

This may be the only time Youngest Mudlets Aqroshot beats the Cougar at postal racing.......... :D

2035704718_round8_snow(3).thumb.jpg.e1c9be21eb47847973f6d0966c44cb92.jpg

Now if we can just find the markers which are buried somewhere under the snow......

• Haha 2

• IMG_20210210_135543.thumb.jpg.0d736d3b3b4ae586ed98404910bfd7dd.jpgIMG_20210210_135611.jpg.51711d809f03978c7bffe38ccbc49270.jpg
  •  

•  
  • Hi, so I gave it a go in the freezing cold and it was pretty taxing for me  ,expecting to be bottom but here for the fun, only had 1 quick try at the last one due to no time left and ice so didn't submit managed 23 with stock xv-01 :unsure:. Started hobby again after a 30+ year break which was pretty enforced by a rugby accident left me paralyzed from the neck down in 88 but ce la vie. Started again as my son is interested in cars so thought him building would show him how they work and modern power chairs can get me places the old ones couldn't. I have a small amount of movement in the shoulders and biseps thankfully so can manage with adaptation just enough to have decent control.
  • prototype pics
  • pIMG_20200731_114002.jpg.9a9dd22ab1e707ef6f222e4db6c50d17.jpgIMG_20200731_113953.jpg.df06e5ade17b4c0254662124b49b68b1.jpg
  • Anyway ,have time this time so hopefully I can improve at least, nice to meet you all

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Hello, 

I've just discoverd this topic and this great idea.

I've just following this topic till now.

No easy in North of France with snowy time, but i've already all stuff to try to make a run.

image.png.6a43a6f0e62e075f7b997abd5445c3b6.pngimage.png.e95949b77a8b833aab1e4b1f2057afaf.png

IR lap counter

image.png.3a40cb9ce82fecb47716cbdcd6cac0e5.png

Small cones ( 3d Printed ) 

• Like 4

@nicksincrc Absolutely INSPIRATIONAL!!! You've assembled quite an impressive bit of Kit for control!! 💯👏👏👏👏

GLAD to see new blood on board! 😁 ONE bit of advice... Please don't disclose your Lap Counts until after everyone's done and the Results are Posted.

About 120 pages back, we all agreed that knowing results ahead of time could discourage some People. 😊  We're happy you're here - and have a great time!!

• Like 1

Great to have you taking part @nicksincrc & @Charles M, hopefully you'll have as much fun doing this as we've been having!

It's nice to see two more rally cars, what's under the hood of your Peugeot body @Charles M?

You've a nice driveway space there @nicksincrc, if you're able to get more laps in, you'll soon find yourself gaining more laps. You've a great platform to do it with too with the XV01, lots of potential. As @Carmine A says, keep the laps to yourself and submit them to @TurnipJF

On 2/9/2021 at 8:13 PM, TurnipJF said:

As before, entries to be submitted via email please, to tcpostalracing@gmail.com

Shall we run this round until midnight on the last Sunday of February, which I believe is the 28th?

Good luck, and have fun!

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2021 at 7:06 PM, Robert5000 said:

Dear hivemind, what do you reckon the odds are for rc tyres leaving rubbermarks on granite? As soon as some scaffolding is taken down I'm looking to be the lanterne rouge for this postal series.
But I'm not to keen to leave skidmarks all over the place. Do you think there's any chance of this? 

If you get any rubber marks on stone, a can of brake cleaner and a rag will have it gone in an instant. Fixing the motorbikes in the house at my old house (didn't have a garage) would occasionally leave scuff marks on the floor. You can pick up an aerosol can of brake/clutch cleaner from any car parts shop for less than £5 and it'll get rid of anything rubber/oil based instantly.

It's good for getting pen marks off your in-laws doors when your toddler has been running about their house with some 'adult crayons'...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

GLAD to see new blood on board! 😁 ONE bit of advice... Please don't disclose your Lap Counts until after everyone's done and the Results are Posted.

Hi, no I won't disclose my laps  ,that count I gave was from the last rounds track I never submitted 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvilSpike said:

If you get any rubber marks on stone, a can of brake cleaner and a rag will have it gone in an instant. Fixing the motorbikes in the house at my old house (didn't have a garage) would occasionally leave scuff marks on the floor. You can pick up an aerosol can of brake/clutch cleaner from any car parts shop for less than £5 and it'll get rid of anything rubber/oil based instantly.

It's good for getting pen marks off your in-laws doors when your toddler has been running about their house with some 'adult crayons'...

This is quality information, cheers! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

a great platform to do it with too with the XV01

It's the easiest and slowest to drive being stock ,have a tt-01e and dt-02 sand viper also ,if I can get the track on the lawn might try the viper but not on the drive I'm bound to overcook it and hit the house !:lol:

• Haha 2

Youngest Mudlet decided that it was easier just to do a zillion donuts with the Aqroshot to 'find' the markers under the snow rather than actually do any manual labour....

She has managed to clear all the snow from about 1/3rd of the lawn by simply wheelspinning for an hour.....

aqroshot_snow.thumb.jpg.f3be25a44a9799e6e2663e219f653fdc.jpg

In the meantime, Middle Mudlet decided that driving over the snow in a crawler made more sense..... :)

thunderfoot_snow.thumb.jpg.ae3ca60b08acaacc68b091263134b6ea.jpg

Even the crawler was struggling though - it was the wrong type of snow...... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Great to have you taking part @nicksincrc & @Charles M, hopefully you'll have as much fun doing this as we've been having!

It's nice to see two more rally cars, what's under the hood of your Peugeot body @Charles M?

You've a nice driveway space there @nicksincrc, if you're able to get more laps in, you'll soon find yourself gaining more laps. You've a great platform to do it with too with the XV01, lots of potential. As @Carmine A says, keep the laps to yourself and submit them to @TurnipJF

Good luck, and have fun!

@jupitertwo :  Under the hood of the Peugeot 206 WRC is an original and vintage TA03FS chassis.  

Around 20 years ago, firstly i've get a Subaru  Impreza 97' TA03F, an a friend bought the Peugeot 206. Few years later, he gave it to me. And still running it with some precious.

This model is more fun to drive due to short wheelbase. Easier to take corner. I don't know which model i can use for the next session. It's depend on the weather this WE.

• Like 1

No postal racing possible just now as lawn still covered in snow but we set up an oval circuit and did some ice/snow racing. We had stamped down an oval track so the snow was compacted and hard enough to drive on but off the racing line and even the 4WD buggies came to abrupt halts in 3-4" of soft snow. 

We had huge amounts of fun though, despite the cold we were outside for an hour racing around that oval with loads of laughs and giggles as each of us kept sliding off the track or getting stuck.

The little Sand Viper proved amazing though, can't believe it managed to get through parts of the track that even the 4WD's were struggling with. Helps that it has a high revving motor and low gearing to allow it to maintain the high revs. Mine kept bogging down because I was running a NiMh (I normally use LiPo) and much taller gearing. Youngest mudlets thundershot ended up resembling a moving snow pile...... my new race colours proved highly effective, very visible and look great against the snow IMHO :)

snow_racing.thumb.jpg.f02c13dacf2f4a95aaf7d4cf41be28a5.jpg

• Like 5

Tried my sand viper on the lawn and getting the track positioned was a challenge in itself ,always 1 part very tight to the border. Had to restrict the throttle to 40% and it was still hard work not to put a rear in the border over the time:(.  Needs a little tuning but got a full run in at least , not telling how many aborted runs due to going off into the wilderness  though :lol:

• Like 3

Yesterday the weather in these parts was sunny and not too chilly, leaving my running area dry and free of snow for today's runs. I switched from Sorex 36s to 32s due to the cold, and set out to record some lap counts with my TT-02 Type S. My first few runs were a bit erratic due to lack of practice over January, but after the first 100 laps or so I felt my skills returning, and by the end I was pretty much on the pace I think.

Next up was my TA-02 rally car. After being rather under-whelmed by its power last time I took it out (probably because I had been running it shortly after I had finished running my rather quick 13.5t brushless TT-01 rally car) I decided to swap out the well-used 21t brushed LRP TC Special that has seen use in two previous cars, replacing it with a hardly-run 17t LRP V10 Spec5 that only had a couple of packs through it in BBB before he went over to brushless power.

2021-02-14_02-54-07

With the faster motor fitted, it is a far more satisfying drive, not in any way a let-down after running the brushless TT.

By this time my fingers were going numb, so I called it a day. I am off duty again tomorrow so if the weather holds I will probably have a run with a buggy or two, possibly the Grey Knight and/or Lily the Pink, maybe even BBB or the mighty Grasshopper!

• Like 4

Well I went into the hobby room this morning fully intending to run my buggies, only to find them sitting all chilled and docile on their display stands while my TT and M-chassis rally cars, having seen my TA-02 going out yesterday, were all clamouring for their turn. I didn't want to disappoint them, so today ended up being rally car day instead of buggy day. Maybe the buggies will have their turn tomorrow... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Well I went into the hobby room this morning fully intending to run my buggies, only to find them sitting all chilled and docile on their display stands while my TT and M-chassis rally cars, having seen my TA-02 going out yesterday, were all clamouring for their turn. I didn't want to disappoint them, so today ended up being rally car day instead of buggy day. Maybe the buggies will have their turn tomorrow... 

Nice! I had a brief bash with my eldest yesterday: DT03, Optima and XV01T.  I didn’t intend to do laps, and a good thing too. Two batteries decided it was too cold, and made the esc go recovery mode after a minute or two. XV01T decided it was too cold and so dethreaded a ball connector. DT03 went on like a champ though,  however at 5 years old blasting about is more fun than laps.

kinda curious as to what everyone else’s experiences are with the cold and batteries these days. Does cold weather make the current draw a bit weird? After the session both batteries tested for 8v, so not low.

might get out today,  but the forecast for next weekend is much more appealing :D

• Like 2

Postal racing snow

Been following this topic since round seven (and it makes for good reading), but my sons and I only managed to get in a few 2 minute rounds on the last course with our TT02s. This was great fun, especially the competititon with my older son (12) who managed the same lap count as I did and even my younger son (7) really enjoyed himself shooting round the course with a Thunder Blitz.

Since then it has either been raining or snowing in our part of Germany, but yesterday afternoon we had a go at the new course in the back garden on a mixture of snow and ice on the lawn at about minus 9 degrees. This made for loads of spinning out and shooting off in the wrong direction, the hairpin turn being especially hard to get round. Lots of fun though, and we now at least have our first official lap counts. I managed to clock up a few more laps with my DT-02 than my older son with his DT-03, while my younger son decided that the course was a "bit hard" and had more fun doing donuts on the lawn. 

The sun is shining at the moment, so maybe today we can get some run time on the street with the touring cars. Looking forward to trying out the course with some actual traction!

• Like 4