TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

2 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

New shape ones are spot on.

2020-08-31_02-52-04

Haven't built an old shape one so can't comment on that I'm afraid. 

thanks ,that looks great ! that's the one , I won't be doing the outside varnish  on the hood , haven't got any and although it looks amazing it'll be a runner and so ,you know lol Out of interest I noticed in the instructions the m05 has a number of machined screws, is it best to tap the plastic first or just be careful ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nicksincrc said:

Out of interest I noticed in the instructions the m05 has a number of machined screws, is it best to tap the plastic first or just be careful ?

I like to tap the holes in fiber-reinforced plastic parts, but on the non-reinforced ones used on the M-05, I prefer to just go carefully and let the screw tap its own thread. I figure that on non-reinforced parts, the less material removed, the better. 

• Thanks 1

I would not use an actual tap with cutting flutes for plastic. These are for metal and make threads by removing material. The friction and elasticity (the two things that hold any screw in place) of plastic just requires an interference fit which you lose once threads have been cut. I recently started forming (not cutting) threads using a Tamiya M3 thread forming tap and it works good. Using a good machine screw with a good 2mm driver works too. It's all about applying the right pressure: not enough or too much will damage the very important first 3 threads that are holding 90% of the load of any threaded assembly.

Tamiya thread forming tool: 54232

You can hold it with a tap T-handle from the hardware store, for instance:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-Tap-and-Die-Set/1003071142?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-lia-_-216-_-mechanicstools-_-1003071142-_-0&placeholder=null&&ds_a_cid=279391351&gclid=CjwKCAjwvuGJBhB1EiwACU1AiaQOoHqFAnHLStL57qJuoU5gtcI_q1X9DWBknBHtUPAdfVKHL1LISxoCSwIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Thanks 1

Think i'll just be being careful this build , but thanks for the information for the future 

49 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

forming tool: 54232

Hi so thanks for the advice, had a busy couple of days making the most of the weather, mazda still has its film on and no decals on either yet,,brz is for the Xv-01 to finally look like a road car to match it's setup at present , had it ages and been putting it off lol hopefully parts for the M05 will arrive soon so I can get it up and running for this months course 🤞

IMG_20210908_195413.jpg

• Like 2

On 9/7/2021 at 9:35 AM, Ferruz said:

I like the track a lot. 2m or 1.5m doesn't matter to me, but maybe 1.5m would be better for whoever has backyard space limitations? 

Your call! :)   I'm ok with 1.5m

If there aren't any objections, let's go with 2m between each mark.

• Like 1

That sounds like an official go-ahead from our most recent winner!

So for round 15, with 2m spacing as discussed, our track layout is as follows:

Netherlands_paint.png

Same rules as usual - please check the first post in the thread of you need a reminder, or are new to this.

As usual, the round will last until midnight GMT on the final Sunday of the month, which I believe falls on the 26th.

Zandvoort here we come!

• Like 4

Are there any other areas nearby that you might use instead? All the tracks have been to big for out tiny yard, so I set up on a piece of tarmac outside the council garages down the road. Do you have a local equivalent perhaps?

Set the course up tonight. Incorrectly to start with and then too close to the kerb so the road is covered with chalk markings.

Had a few runs with the tt01e, then swapped to the xv01 figured I was only going to get a chance to do one timed run this month so I would do it with that. Got up to about 20 laps when I slipped and rammed it into the kerb introducing a heavy set of scratches and embedded grit into the shell and popping the upper arm off the ball joint. Also have a bit more play in the lower wishbone than I used to.

I think it's unlikely that I'll record a set of laps at this rate. Busy tomorrow night and off on a trip in the camper on Friday.

Have really enjoyed the course though.

• Like 2

So my parts finally arrived last week and I end up in bed for a week ruining my chance of getting a run in as well ,typical:(

IMG_20210920_163523.jpg

56 minutes ago, nicksincrc said:

So my parts finally arrived last week and I end up in bed for a week ruining my chance of getting a run in as well ,typical:(

IMG_20210920_163523.jpg

Nice selection of parts though!

20 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Nice selection of parts though!

Well had the shocks and suspension shafts already and took your advice for the rest, so thanks 

• Like 1

Had a few decent runs with my TTs this afternoon. Hoping at least one will be podium-worthy. Will have to wait and see!

• Like 1

I had to move the Laptrax setup to start on the other side of the track. the track line is so close to itself in several places I couldn't setup the stand inside without endangering it with my driving.  Had a couple false starts where it might catch my first lap, but then miss several.  The motion detection slider seemed to reset, so I had to re-adjust.

I made several upgrades to the car at the same time; turnbuckles, driveshafts, and a tweak to the diff to tighten it.  I don't know which helped, or if they all did, but got an improvement from the first attempts a couple weeks ago on Zandvoort!

It looks like I won't be able to take part in the Zandvoort race :( my usual running spot is not available these days, and I couldn't find the time to look for another suitable place. Plus my top runner is waiting for a steel pinion that was supposed to be here yesterday, so I'm gonna have to let this one slide. Too bad, since I loved the track layout and was eager to give it a go!! Oh well it will be for next time.

Anyway, I really like the idea of the miniature/simplified versions of actual tracks! It also makes the whole thing feel more official and race oriented :lol:

Have fun drivers, happy racing and see you when the postal circus moves to the next track! 

P.s. just ordered a new set of wheels and tires for the Manta to slaughter on the next course 😊

TurnipJF brought me here .....As ive blown the tries on tt02 and only have Lunchbox RTR to use,so the size of the car park at home is small i made 3x6m track ,hooning around the car park is one thing and trying to go around 4 posts is other !!!!And really ejoyed this,  lunchbox doesnt like going around corner,My plan now is to build this into a purpose built Postal Racer  "GONE POSTAL"

• Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 10:50 AM, Ferruz said:

It looks like I won't be able to take part in the Zandvoort race :( my usual running spot is not available these days, and I couldn't find the time to look for another suitable place. Plus my top runner is waiting for a steel pinion that was supposed to be here yesterday, so I'm gonna have to let this one slide. Too bad, since I loved the track layout and was eager to give it a go!! Oh well it will be for next time.

Anyway, I really like the idea of the miniature/simplified versions of actual tracks! It also makes the whole thing feel more official and race oriented :lol:

Have fun drivers, happy racing and see you when the postal circus moves to the next track! 

P.s. just ordered a new set of wheels and tires for the Manta to slaughter on the next course 😊

I saw you're in Montreal in another post! Some pictures you posted gave me hints too :)I lived there for almost 15 years myself. Back then I was into RC helicopters and other 1:1 scale activities. Now I'm the US U have been wondering what it would have been like to run RC cars back in QC. Are there any on-road racing clubs there? Cheers!

This round officially finished at midnight last night, but I haven't closed the results form yet. If anyone managed to complete a run before cut-off time but hasn't submitted their results yet, please do so ASAP as I will be closing the form and posting the results after tea! 🍜🍝🥧

Position Username Lap count Car Motor Battery Running surface Surface modifiers (Optional) How much did your car weigh to the nearest gram, e.g. 1326g?
(Optional) What was your best lap time in seconds to two decimal places, e.g. 7.34s?
27/09/2021 21:41:51 TurnipJF 45 TB-03 Arta Garaiya 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac
No - the track surface was clear and dry.

27/09/2021 21:47:49 TurnipJF 44 TT-02 Type S AMG GT3 13.5t Bluebottle 2S LiPo Tarmac

27/09/2021 21:53:53 TurnipJF 43 M-08 Mazda MX-5 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac

27/09/2021 21:50:01 TurnipJF 41 TT-01 SLS GT3 13.5t Silver Can 2S LiPo Tarmac

24/09/2021 23:15:51 SlideWRX 32 DT-03 Buggy Stock TorqueTuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1510g  
26/09/2021 20:17:54 MontyMole 28 TT-02B Plasma Edge II 13.5T Hobbywing Justock 7.2V NiMH Dirt
It was dirty and grassy.
26/09/2021 20:22:34 MontyMole 26 Terra Scorcher 17.5t Hobbywing Quicrun 7.2V NiMH Dirt
It was dirty and grassy.
  • Like 3

A tiny field this time, but thanks to those who entered. Looks like I get to choose the next track! Now which fullsize circuit can be shrunk really small for Round 16 I wonder...?

• Like 2

On 9/27/2021 at 11:00 AM, Pylon80 said:

I saw you're in Montreal in another post! Some pictures you posted gave me hints too :)I lived there for almost 15 years myself. Back then I was into RC helicopters and other 1:1 scale activities. Now I'm the US U have been wondering what it would have been like to run RC cars back in QC. Are there any on-road racing clubs there? Cheers!

There's some RC stuff going on in QC, there are a few indoor tracks for drifting and I saw on Google there are some dirt tracks too, but it all seems to be short course track/modern nitro buggies oriented so I didn't go yet. I am into vintage/rere electric RC and would join a club or a race today if only there were any in my area.

I was recently on Prince Edward Island for a trip, and even there they had an off road course with monthly Tamiya vintage races! On an island, and not in Montreal with 4 millions people... meh! What's the situation where you are? I used to go to the US a lot for work, wasn't doing any RC activity back then so didn't notice. Cheers!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

A tiny field this time, but thanks to those who entered. Looks like I get to choose the next track! Now which fullsize circuit can be shrunk really small for Round 16 I wonder...?

Congratulations to the winner, well done @TurnipJF!

I am looking forward to the next track, pretty sure I'll be able to participate this time. Oh and I'm totally into doing the real circuits miniature thing! 

Just got some new wheels and tires for the Postal in the mail today :)

• Like 2