TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

1 hour ago, BuggyDad said:

Is it allowed to compete with a non-Tamiya car? 

Yes it is - the aim is to be inclusive of all no matter how far from the True Path they may stray. :D 

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Yes it is - the aim is to be inclusive of all no matter how far from the True Path they may stray. :D 

Indeed, I have raced a few rounds with a Traxxas (gasp!) and I'm pretty sure @Ferruz has done his RC10 as well?

I believe the only requirement is that it has a body of some sort? Luckily I'm not skirting that rule any longer :ph34r:

• Haha 4

Position Username Lap count Car Motor Battery Running surface Surface modifiers
1 Ferruz 37 Terra Scorcher 2020 17.5t Flash Racing A series 7.2V NiMH Tarmac
No - the track surface was clear and dry.
2 TurnipJF 35 M-05 Suzuki Swift 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac
The surface was fine but I was running rally tyres
3 Tamiyastef 34 M-05 540 silver can 3S LiPo Tarmac
4 TurnipJF 33 M-06 Renault Alpine 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac
The surface was fine but I was running rally tyres
5 Tamiyastef 32 M-05 540 silver can 2S LiPo Tarmac
6 nicksincrc 31 m05 mazda mx5 27 s/c 2S LiPo Tarmac
7 SlideWRX 31 DT-03 TorqueTuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac
8 Andreas W 26 Tomahawk YR Hackmoto 23T 2S LiPo Gravel
It was dusty and the surface was loose
9 Aerobert 21 Dirt Thrasher Losi 12t 7.2V NiMH Grass
10 Aerobert 17 Mad Fighter Silver Can 7.2V NiMH Grass
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I hang my head.

Hail Tamiya, mother of Frog. Etc etc....

Great laps, folks. That circuit looked hard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the racing, guys. It was fun as always. And congrats to Ferruz for the win with that amazing Terra B) (in combination with ditto driving skills). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats @Ferruz & @TurnipJF. Very pleased with bronze myself although I needed a 3S Lipo to get me there. :P

If we were together on this track it would have been some very close racing for spot 5, 6 & 7. 

This was another great edition IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was suspecting that my entry would be not so good. This track was to tight for my driving skills / cars. But at least I'm the best on grass. :D

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aerobert said:

I was suspecting that my entry would be not so good. This track was to tight for my driving skills / cars. But at least I'm the best on grass. :D

I managed all of a 3-and-a-bit minute run this time, for a total of 11 laps on grass. You beat me :D

• Like 2

Congrats everybody! And thank you for the kind words. I agree, this was another great edition and the track was certainly challenging, but fun.

Gotta say I am excited about winning once again, I'm still not quite used to being up there with the fast guys like @TurnipJF,amongst others, which just one year ago would feel utterly unreachable and far far away/ahead of me:lol: so apparently in all this fun there's room for some improvement, too.

I'm going to think about the next track now and see what I can come up with in the next few days. Meanwhile, I believe the mighty little Scorchy has deserved some TLC! I feel like I should spoil her somehow, but maybe I should keep my mental soundness and just buy my wife some flowers instead 🤔

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

But flowers are luckily not that costy. If you have the space in the garden and the local climate is appropriate then a magnolia-tree is always a certain successB). Looks beautyful as well.

Even after that there will shurely be some change left to buy hop ups as well :lol:.

• Haha 3

So quiet...   Miami is coming up in F1, what about this?  6m x 3m

Miami.thumb.png.d5024c6ae36d4d4fb1411908a126a39f.png

• Like 7

Yeah, I've had a busy week and was going to post the new track this morning, sorry it couldn't happen earlier but after all today is only May 1st so I thought it'd be all good :)

Personally, I like this track @SlideWRX and am totally good to go for it.

If there are no objections and Turnip agrees to make this official, then let Round 23 begin!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

So quiet...   Miami is coming up in F1, what about this?  6m x 3m

Miami.thumb.png.d5024c6ae36d4d4fb1411908a126a39f.png

Not one but two 6 meter long straights! If I find the time I'm gonna change the pinion on my M-05 to the biggest one (24t) possible. Must be a fun track to give a buggy a try also.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ferruz said:

If there are no objections and Turnip agrees to make this official, then let Round 23 begin!

All good with me, let's get racing!

Rules as per first post in the thread, rounds ends at midnight GMT on Sunday 29 May.

Hopefully this time I'll remember to turn the results form on!

• Like 3

Just practiced with the td2. Thought the long straights were going to be nice to get speed up, but you have to scrub it off for the bends really quickly. Think it will take me a while to get consistent, clean laps together, might have managed 1 in 10 minutes. Just charging up the TA03R-S to see what that is like. 

• Like 1

So, have put down a baseline figure for the TA03R-S, and the TT01. Same number of laps. Think with a dry spell and warmer tarmac and some improvements to my driving I'll be able to increase it a bit. Going to try with the TA03F and XV01 over the next week too.

1 minute ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

So, any car goes? How in the name of **** do I set up this track by exact dimensions?

Those numbers in red are x/y coordinates, aren't they? That's what I was going to go on. Thinking about a try on grass this week. Not sure I can get my DT-03 round those tight bends though. 

18 minutes ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Thought so too, but what good do they do in the real world if you have no idea where everything is relative to you?

I was thinking - draw a straight line through points 3 and 2, a line square off it up to 7 and then you've essentially got your x and y axes.

But the more I think about it, getting the car round those corners, esp on grass, is going to be a challenge, so accuracy of setting out might be a moot point in my case! 

9 minutes ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Math + RC car =  C O N F U S I O N

Mind explaining as if I’m five?

Point 3 is at 0,0. So your natural start point. Bottom left hand corner. 

Point 2 is at 2.5,0. So 2.5m along.

Point 7 is at 0,3. So 3m up from point 3. 

Then once you've got those laid out, point 3 to point 2 and on is your x axis. Point 3 to point 7 is your y axis. So for point 1 (3,1.5) you mark 3m along your x axis and go up 1.5m from there, and if you want to check it's perfect (is it worth bothering? it'll be near enough) you can do that by checking it's 3m from the y axis. 

5 minutes ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Math + RC car =  C O N F U S I O N

Mind explaining as if I’m five?

Get some help from an adult 😇

No seriously: 

On tarmac I use a tape measure of 8 meter and some sidewalk chalk.

On grass I would go with some extra pins and some rope or string to mark the X and Y axes and use them as a reference to mark the track.

2 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

Point 3 is at 0,0. So your natural start point. Bottom left hand corner. 

Point 2 is at 2.5,0. So 2.5m along.

Point 7 is at 0,3. So 3m up from point 3. 

Then once you've got those laid out, point 3 to point 2 and on is your x axis. Point 3 to point 7 is your y axis. So for point 1 (3,1.5) you mark 3m along your x axis and go up 1.5m from there, and if you want to check it's perfect (is it worth bothering? it'll be near enough) you can do that by checking it's 3m from the y axis. 

@Tamiya_Cars_4_Life, do you have a tape measure? preferably in meters.  The grid points are in meters, on an x-y grid.  I 'googled' (I use DuckDuckGo) "xy grid" and the images show a labeled grid.

do you have cones or something else for corner markers for the grass/dirt?  Even paper plates and nails to push through into the dirt to hold it down might work; I haven't tried.  Something flat you can run over that wont move much?

The whole thing is 6 meters by 3 meters, or ~20 ft by 10 ft.  Find the spot you want to run, pick a corner and measure to see if there is enough room.  leave several feet on the outside of those dimensions for space to run!  With room to drive, it is more like 8 m by 5m, about 26 ft by 16 ft.  The tracks Grastens drew a couple rounds back show the whole 'track' and how much space you might need outside the corners.

3 hours ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Okay, thanks a bunch. Where I set this up? On tarmac or grass?

The choice is yours, you can set up the track on any underground you like to run on. Tarmac, grass, dirt, gravel, mixed,...  and you can run any car you like as long as it has a body fitted :)