TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 45 takes us to Anderstorp!

22 hours ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Okay, thanks a bunch. Where I set this up? On tarmac or grass?

For @Ferruz, yes to both; mixed surface. He has won so much that the start line is also now a jump for him; the vehicle must get air.  Also, since he has shown pictures of woodland creatures on his vehicles (I don't know if it was this thread or another, a while ago), he must now complete one lap with said creature riding the whole lap.  If it flies of into the woods on a hairpin turn, it doesn't count.

I kid, I kid. :lol:

...I'm not sure this would slow him down... :D

• Haha 3

On 5/3/2022 at 10:09 PM, SlideWRX said:

For @Ferruz, yes to both; mixed surface. He has won so much that the start line is also now a jump for him; the vehicle must get air.  Also, since he has shown pictures of woodland creatures on his vehicles (I don't know if it was this thread or another, a while ago), he must now complete one lap with said creature riding the whole lap.  If it flies of into the woods on a hairpin turn, it doesn't count.

I kid, I kid. :lol:

...I'm not sure this would slow him down... :D

Awww man, if my little furry friend Munchy was still around I am sure he'd be glad to accept the challenge :lol:

I should take the time to befriend another chippy, but it's quite hard to find it without the calm of a lockdown!

But any chance is good for a pic of Munchy with his favourite ride

Screenshot-20220504-001133-Gallery.jpg

• Like 8

After I posted that, I realized you would likely train it to either lean into the corners, or climb to the inside edge of the car for each corner to help with balance... :lol:

IMG_6782_1592250320-e1592250471861.jpg

• Haha 2

Had my first go today on round 23. For the first time on grass with a DT-03 Aqroshot, standard silver can 17T pinion, 2S lipo... After two "training laps" to seek for the ideal line had two tries "for real".

20220508_120913.jpg

20220508_120917.jpg

Used some wood stakes as markers. Not impressed by the number of laps I got in 5 minutes. The underground was on the rough side and the grass wasn't cut evenly and definitely taller around marker 7 so I flipped the car over at least ones every try :(

The silver can seemed to lack power for driving on the grass also, maybe in combination with the taller wheels/tires.

At the start of try number 3 a disturbing rattling sound interrupted my attempt.

20220508_122514.jpg

20220508_220043.jpg

Problem seems to be the motor mounting hole gave up. I don't think I'll be able to use the 19T holes for long before these give in too. So I have to pay a visit to my LHS for a gearboxpart for DT-02 DT-03. I promise I try to get home without anything else fresh from the hobby shop.

• Sad 3

Had another attempt today at my usual tarmac spot with the M-05 RbP Pick-up. 540 silver can with 24T pinion. On 2S to the point I no longer improved lap counts (allthough there's certainly more than enough room for improvement in my driving) and later also 2 attempts on 3S. The best attempt on 3S (the first) had 2 laps more than on 2S.

20220509_200813.jpg

20220509_200826.jpg

20220509_200801.jpg

Made new corner markers from green carpet leftover because the plastic corner markers I used before kept changing position due to the wind...

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

20220509_200813.jpg

I noticed you have drawn your approach to Corner 4 really wide. I have been doing the same thing.  It seems to help to set up a good approach to the 4-5-6 slalom.

• Like 1

Had my first go at Round 23 today, this time on grass. I enjoyed the course and the two 6-meters straights. Part of the track was bumpy, which added to the fun and the challenge though probably wasn't best for the results. I plan on one more go tomorrow, but I have to secure my markers better!

20220509-232306.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SlideWRX said:

I noticed you have drawn your approach to Corner 4 really wide. I have been doing the same thing.  It seems to help to set up a good approach to the 4-5-6 slalom.

The 4-5-6 slalom is the hardest part IMO with the u-turn around 7 close in second place. On tarmac you can keep closer to 4 & 7 and slide the car around them but it's really hard to get consistent slides for me. On grass sliding wasn't an option 😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ferruz said:

I have to secure my markers better!

20220509-232306.jpg

For tarmac the green carpet ones I use now are better than the plastic ones I used before, wind doesn't affect the carpet ones that easily. 

For grass I'm thinking about securing them with a nail that has a spring on top with a nerf arrow attached. Would be clearly visible but won't hurt the car when hit by a wheel the spring can flex instead of breaking an upright, suspension arm or something else on the car.

• Like 1

Had a go with the Hornet on grass today. It was fun hopping it around the track, I managed not to tumble but it kept me on edge!

Screenshot-20220514-152730-Video-Player.

After that it was the turn of the Manta Ray, fan mounted back on the esc for the summer.

I was getting a good run, but at some point I hit a pole after taking corner 3 a little too wide, and this happened 

20220514-204704.jpg

Car is now fixed, I'm planning on one more run tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Had another go at the Miami track shortly after a heavy rainfall.

The car got quite caked with grass and small branches, but it was worse for me: the insects were just relentless, all over my eyes and mouth no matter the insane amount of bug spray I used on myself before the run. Messy, but fun!

Look at the antenna-like branch sticking out from behind :lol:

20220516-151339.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have set myself the personal challenge of entering only RWD cars in this round. So far I have had a go with my brushed Blitzer Blackfoot, M-04 and DT-01, which haven't been generating the greatest lap counts, but have been loads of fun!

This weekend though, I'll be bringing out the big guns in the form of the brushless brigade - Aqroshot, M-08 and DT-02, and possibly even a F1 model for a "serious" attempt at a podium. We'll see how it goes! 😀

• Like 3

Just posted the results. We have had rain the last days, so now the grip on gravel will be much better. But there is no time for more attempts.

Not so many attempts this time. I had to use the time for painting the house while the carpenter was here and we had scaffolding.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 10:57 PM, TurnipJF said:

even a F1 model

Very nice ! 

Life has gotten in the way but I'll be back guys! Have fun 🙂

• Like 1

finally got on my car park for 10 minute practice and two back to back runs, struggled for grip and found it tough so definitely feeling i'll be holding up the rest of the table lol

• Like 1

No more time to practice for me so I've just submitted my results. Good luck everybody and happy racing!

• Like 2

I had another go (the last one for round 23) yesterday on some very rough tarmac/concrete kinda underground on a parking lot in "Zeeland" (in the Netherlands).

20220528_141529.jpg

The roughness of the underground helped with traction so I improved my lapcount.

Only had a 2S lipo with me so no 3S lipo attempt :-(

Submitted my results for this round.

• Like 1

My apologies for the delay with the results. I should have them up later this morning. 

• Thanks 1

Position Username Lap count Car Motor Battery Running surface Surface modifiers (Optional) Running weight (Optional) Best lap
1 TurnipJF 36 M-08 Mazda MX-5 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
2 TurnipJF 33 DT-03T Aqroshot 10.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
3 Tamiyastef 33 M-05 27t Silver Can 2S LiPo Concrete Very windy    
4 TurnipJF 32 DT-02 Desert Gator 13.5t Bluebottle 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
5 Ferruz 31 DF-01 Manta Ray 13.5t Bluebottle 7.2V NiMH Grass Surface was ok, but an actual cloud of mosquitoes affected the run    
6 SlideWRX 30 DT-03 25t Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.   9.14
7 TurnipJF 29 M-04 Karmann Ghia 27t Silver Can 2S LiPo Tarmac It was damp.    
8 Andreas W 28 Tomahawk 23t YR Hackmoto 2S LiPo Long astro Lots of debries (foootballpitch on a school)    
9 TurnipJF 27 Blitzer Blackfoot 25t Torque Tuned 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
10 TurnipJF 24 DT-01 Rookie Rabbit 27t Silver Can 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
11 Ferruz 24 The Hornet Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH Grass No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
12 Andreas W 23 Grasshornet 23t Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH Gravel It was loose and dusty    
13 Tamiyastef 22 DT-03 Aqroshot 27t Silver Can 2S LiPo Grass It was damp.    
14 nicksincrc 22 mazda m05 27t Silver Can 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
  • Like 4

Yes, yes! Third place again. I love my M-05. BITD I had no interest in the M chassis cars whatsoever but now I've build (and upgraded) and run an M-05 I can't believe what I missed out on all these years. Fantastic platform, relatively easy to work on and so much fun to drive. I would recommend an M chassis to everyone looking for an on road car to drive.

And off course congratulations to TurnipJF once again

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tamiyastef said:

I love my M-05.

Same here. They are great little chassis, a lot of fun to drive. Despite having the technically superior M-07 in my fleet, my M-05 still gets regular outings. 👍

• Like 1

Cool! Congrats @TurnipJF for getting the top spot back! 👍🏁🏁

I wonder where we'll be heading to next...

Just now, Ferruz said:

Cool! Congrats @TurnipJF for getting the top spot back! 👍🏁🏁

I wonder where we'll be heading to next...

Thanks! Although I suspect that I have your cloud of mosquitoes to thank for this victory... 😁

@Grastens I don't suppose you fancy honouring us with another of your excellent track designs for Round 24?

• Like 2