TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Thanks! Although I suspect that I have your cloud of mosquitoes to thank for this victory... 😁

The mosquitos were shockingly aggressive indeed (Canada is worse than the Tropics when it comes to nasty insects I'm telling you!) but that was on me, going out after a heavy rainshower would pretty much guarantee trouble 😅

I also moved my battlefield to grass this time, which felt like a nice change.

But for next Round I'm not sure, I was going to stick to off road but the other day my wife came home with a little gift: a roll of bright actual DUCK tape for me to use as markers for the postal racing! 😀 this will do so much better than the hard-to-spot grey or white duct tape I usually have. Can't wait to try it out

20220531-115146.jpg

• Like 3

Congrats to Turnip for the victory. So many laps! 

I moved to the football pitch on a nearby school out of desperacy. I bought flat markers, which I used for the first time.  What a difference.

I made one good run with the Hopper and was not able to outperform that with the Tomahawk. Meanwhile we had rain, so now the rock hard, dusty desert-like surface is gone. There was so much fun on the astro, so I have bought new rear tires for that surface. The Mini Pins I used are done now (I used them on tarmac last summer before the body was finished and it could enter the competition).

I am in the middle of building the M-05 Golf, so I can have some variation. Allthough I until now have had no interest in onroad. The model has been in a closet since I was home with my then newborn daughter in 2013 - only to gather more and more hop ups and accumulate more and more money. This better perform well. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Andreas W said:

I am in the middle of building the M-05 Golf, so I can have some variation. Allthough I until now have had no interest in onroad. The model has been in a closet since I was home with my then newborn daughter in 2013 - only to gather more and more hop ups and accumulate more and more money. This better perform well. 

Be aware! I had no interest in on road cars, never owned one and bought the Golf in a too good to go deal. Now I own 3 on road cars and a 4th one may follow. The M-05 is my most driven car at the moment. For hop ups and useful info on setting up the M-05 take a look at the M-05 section on the rcracer site.

https://www.thercracer.com/2017/07/tamiya-m05-v2-guide-mods-tuning-and.html

It's pretty clear and helped me a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On it! Will have it ready soon ^_^

Update: it will be posted here by June 6, EST!

• Thanks 2

Presenting:

818986612_ValleyRingSpeedway.thumb.jpg.aa2fde02403251e032f686e0b3beb1c0.jpg

Inspired by both Gran Turismo's Grand Valley Speedway and Autumn Ring, this circuit uses a slightly larger format to add some higher-speed sections. Mixing technical corners with slightly-longer straights, hopefully this track will allow some of the faster cars to approach their top end - although that first corner might have something to say about that ;)

Pending approval from @TurnipJF, we have Round 24! Good luck, everybody!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

That looks great @Grastens!

Valley Ring Speedway.jpg

Round 24 is hereby declared underway!

It will run until midnight GMT on Sunday 26 June. Rules and results submission form link in the first post of the thread. 

Hope y'all have fun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks great. I don't think I will be recovered from the 1-2-3 combo at the moment I have to start on the 4-5 one. But it will be fun!

• Like 1

Autumn Ring is one of my favourite tracks in Gran Turismo. I really should try to get out and put some laps in on this track. It's too big for our yard, so I might need to go and try a nearby commuter carpark that is empty on a Sunday.

Thank you! This is a great thread - I’ve really enjoyed looking back over it and have set up many of the tracks - last week I went off to Monza on my camping trip.

I set up round 24 Valley Spring Speedway after work this evening- it is a really fun circuit @TurnipJF thanks for creating it!

Obviously with the comical hotshot I’ll not be troubling the leaderboard. I did move the suspension attachments further outbound on the front and rear arms and didn’t have any roll overs - maybe that means I wasn’t trying hard enough?!

The grasshopper had to look on as a spectator - no chance it/I could steer around corners 2-5!

8FC73485-353C-415E-93E7-C643E4A79750.jpeg

816819F4-9858-4C1F-8DDE-17914E5A39CD.jpeg

48C3439A-B767-4BBE-B9ED-FE8CB91DBF2F.jpeg

• Like 5

On 6/6/2022 at 11:53 AM, Grastens said:

Presenting:

818986612_ValleyRingSpeedway.thumb.jpg.aa2fde02403251e032f686e0b3beb1c0.jpg

Inspired by both Gran Turismo's Grand Valley Speedway and Autumn Ring, this circuit uses a slightly larger format to add some higher-speed sections. Mixing technical corners with slightly-longer straights, hopefully this track will allow some of the faster cars to approach their top end - although that first corner might have something to say about that ;)

Pending approval from @TurnipJF, we have Round 24! Good luck, everybody!

As soon as I saw "Valley Ring", it screamed Gran Turismo to me!

So glad I clicked on it. I might actually have to fit some time in to do this! Sounds and looks super fun!

And fantastic job on this track! Certainly worthy of GT.

Maybe one day I'll make a paved track like this complete with banked curves and all!

-RC Perspective

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Had a first go today at Round 24. 20220612_121059.jpg This were the 2 first contenders. 

No luck with the brushless DT-02 :wacko: I wasn't able to control the drifting consistently and even though freestyle drifting a buggy is fun it's pretty frustrating if you can't get it drifting round the track as you'd wish + it's eating tires 20220612_123829.jpg20220612_132021.jpg Not much life left in this one...

The M-05 went as expected and gets another attempt this afternoon (if the car park is still deserted) together with a chassis that I've never before taken round a track... Pictures will follow :)  

• Like 4

Car park was still empty so another attempt for the M-05 on 2 and on 3S but that extra cell didn't add any extra laps...

Had another car with me, on 3S and a 55T motor :D20220612_153337.jpg20220612_153313.jpg the CMX from MST with a Tamiya XB Unimog body on for now. It felt nice, just go flat out all the time and concentrate on the steering only :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Y’all are really getting creative with the inspiration for tracks!

It is very appreciable to be able to “race” internationally with everyone here and that everyone keeps the dream alive.  I feel guilty that I haven’t participated as much as I would like to, but everyone in this thread should be acknowledged for the effort.  Especially TurnipJF.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Had the first attempt on this lovely track last Friday with the Grasshornet on gravel. A couple of warm up-laps and one timed stint. Too many errors, but got a nice flow through corner 6, 7 and 8. I hope I have time to try the Tomahawk later this week. 

• Like 3

I had the Madcap and Top Force Evo out in the UK heatwave today to tear up our dry lawn. Just noticed I ran corners 4 and 5 in the opposite order! My terrible lap count can only improve when I do it properly on Monday. :lol:

• Like 5

I managed to squeeze in two stints with the Tomahawk in increasing rain yesterday. I glued new Mezzos to new rear rims I got from JC and wanted to use them, but the left serrated wheelnut was mangled and I did not have time to fix it. Then the worn out mini Pins had to do. No need to say this was slippery, but challenging and good fun. 

DSC_0939.JPG

• Like 4

Today the Montreal F1 Gran Prix is happening, just a few kilometers away from where I am now. The least I could do was setting up Round 24 and have my go at it! In pure GP spirit.

This time I'm back on road with the Scorchy, and will probably have squeezed whatever life is left out of those front tires by the time I'm done. My go-to tarmac patch is in pretty rough shape, but the new, bright duck tape my wife got me sure is a game changer, I can finally see all the corner marks very well! :lol:

20220619-144617.jpg

• Like 3

Squeezed in 4 races after dinner on almost the longest day of the year. This time I’m international - in Wales!

Quickly set up on grass.

A5818364-D119-49C2-8BEF-516414756016.jpeg.b178718056dcd8203180e1df39a6924c.jpeg

is there a campsite class?

31CBE44D-3E1B-476C-9710-2ADE57228E91.jpeg.51d46a09120bb7904ada141faa2c7dc8.jpeg

The comical hotshot is out once more - maybe I need to fit the lights?

BCE25B4B-FE6A-46B3-BF4B-9F504A3C86A6.jpeg.5ddc17e2008717f6228f477cecbbce7f.jpeg

Light stops play.

40C4ADDF-52DD-48A2-B2B6-A04D727EB2B3.jpeg.59d4c350949cc442df4e43531c257c1d.jpeg

Once again - thanks for a fantastic circuit and a great thread!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Had a second and last go on this track yesterday evening. Now with nigelnagel new Mezzos in Silver. What a difference. If I had changed the front tires as well I maybe could have got a lap or two more due to less understeer. Either way it was flying on the dry astro and was great fun B).

Tomorrow we are going on variation, so no more playing around with not toys for me in ten days. I can likely post my result right now. 

The Tomahawk is back in the locker with its friend:mellow:.

DSC_0943.JPG

• Like 2

I'd like to suggest my line into turn 1 wasn't routinely this bad, but the spray of dirt over the patio suggests otherwise:

y4m2Mo7Oks7fUsCzxRtsv7GNq_npjx3cGBe5Fved

The circuit is about as wide as I'd want to run in our garden. I did wedge the Madcap under that seat during an early run. Fortunately nothing broken.

y4mKgt7-UdjMmiB3q88qGYDmwpliPLhyt4UjxiaA

And there's now some amount of cleanup required. There's about the same again between the undertray and chassis :lol:

y4mw4aarvmWRyFzHaZ6QZ32UsjzDTa2nr7JOGx6V

Lap counts are going to be nothing to worry the front-runners, but I had fun.

• Like 8

Just submitted my results, it's a bit early but I don't think I'll be able to run next weekend. In any case, I don't seem to be able to improve on my lap count: I got the same result a few times in a row, so maybe it's better to save whatever's left of my front tires for next round. I can't see the foams yet, so I should have a few runs left in them 😅

20220622-214323.jpg

They wore out quite fast, but they performed well. I wish I could just buy replacements for the fronts rather than a full new set of wheels+foams+tires, but for these cheap combos the whole thing seems to be the easiest way to go. After a more accurate research, I found an ad on aliexpress with only the front wheels+tires, it ships from china and will take forever but it's cheap and less wasteful than a new set of rims I don't need, so maybe I'll give it a try. I never bought from this website before, anybody have any feedback?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ferruz said:

I never bought from this website before, anybody have any feedback?

I brought some magnetic body mounts from Aliexpres and a WLToys car a few years back. You get 1 or 2 promotional e-mails every day but after unsubscribing every one of those for about 4 days in a row that has stopped now. Shipping took several weeks but packaging was okay.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ferruz said:

They wore out quite fast, but they performed well.

Are (were) this budget tires from JC Racing? Asking because I have these for a future build.

16 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Are (were) this budget tires from JC Racing? Asking because I have these for a future build.

These were from Hobbypark (and came with aluminum wheel hexes as a bonus) but I suspect it's the same sets, just a different brand on the packaging.

• Thanks 1

My results are in. Had another go this afternoon on more rough pavement but no improvement on my lap count. Up to the next!

• Like 2