TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

And after 3 more packs the tires are worthy for Project Baldy B). This is my usual driving style with the Tommy. Certainy not the quickest but super fun. A bit like fellow norwegian, Vidar Jødahl, is driving his E30 M3 with 2jz at hill climbing in Germany: Loads og power, wheelspin, powerdrifting and Just pure funB).

I've had a few attempts with the Golf. Must say it's tricky to get around marker 6 and not over it. The top speed is low, but the lapcount surprisingly good so far:).

• Like 5

finally finished it and disaster struck. took it to my normal court for a gentle test run and going fine then some internal wiring controller fault put it on full forward straight into the metal fencing and some paint has come away  :( going to have to strip the bits and hope for the best ,gutted

image_50417665.JPG

• Sad 6

I was going to let the TS sit this one out on the shelf, but the temptation to compare it to the Manta Ray's drifting performance was too big, so today I powered it up to go find out.

I ended up doing five attempts, so almost as many as I did last weekend with the MR. 

I scored the same lap count four times in a row! The fifth and last attempt proved to be the best one, and I managed to get that extra lap I was itching for. Tons of fun as usual, and the fronties of the TS are getting almost as slick as the MR's old ballerina shoes.

Next try should be with the Manta equipped with regular on road tires.

20220911-144117.jpg

After the track, I took the TS for a nice recreational run on grass and in the woods to finish off the battery.

• Like 5

Went back to Francorchampette with the Manta Ray. This time I took off the ballerina shoes and equipped the car with road tires instead.

Having actual grip allowed for a calmer, more precise driving style. I eventually got an OK flow, drifting only over the Marker 1 hairpin turn and keeping a cleaner line along the rest of the track. This yielded good results, in fact the Manta ended up gaining those two laps separating her from the TS... and now they have the same lap count 🚗💥🚕

20220912-202402.jpg

• Like 5

Finally had my first go at Spa - Francorchampette. M-05 as usual and gave my TA-03F a go as well.

20220918_141406.jpg20220918_141551.jpg

I really like the lay out of this one (maybe because I live in Belgium?)

20220918_141426.jpg20220918_141603.jpg

It seems to help my lap count going wide on approaching number 5 and number 8, like the red arrows on this drawing.

20220918_170419.jpg

TA-03F doesn't come close to the lap count of the M-05 but was fun also. Driving the M-05 again after some laps with the TA-03F makes you realise how agile and nimble it reacts to throttle and steering input.

At the moment I had the two Lipo's to storage level it began raining again. I'm hoping for another dry day to give this round another go.  

• Like 5

Actually I go wide around marker 1 av well. It helps to get a good exit and hit the apex at marker 2. 

I had 2 stints on friday afternoon in lovely sunshine but windy, bringing loads of dust to the tarmac. No improvement, but both runs were only 1 lap short of the personal best. Not bad given lower temperature and more debrees on the surface. 

• Like 3

went yesterday for a first attempt and forgot a tape and it's raining today  :( had a good test with my new M06at least. On 2s stock motor , I noticed it got a bit warm/hot after a full speed run about, is that normal ? do the black gears take longer to run in? Stock motors don't normally get hot on me so just wondering 

4 hours ago, nicksincrc said:

On 2s stock motor , I noticed it got a bit warm/hot after a full speed run about, is that normal ? do the black gears take longer to run in? Stock motors don't normally get hot on me so just wondering 

The short, tight layouts typical of postal racing tracks are more demanding than most, as you are typically either hard on the throttle or hard on the brakes. This leads to higher motor temps than you might be used to on longer layouts or when out bashing when loads on the motor are less severe. 

On 9/22/2022 at 7:09 PM, TurnipJF said:

The short, tight layouts typical of postal racing tracks are more demanding than most, as you are typically either hard on the throttle or hard on the brakes. This leads to higher motor temps than you might be used to on longer layouts or when out bashing when loads on the motor are less severe. 

you haven't seen me drive , I'm more sunday driver than boy racer! :lol: I take your point it's just the m05 doesn't get hot the same and both have alu motor plates 

Had another go today. M-05 stuck at the same level as before, TA03F on street tires and with a 14T pinion instead of the 18T it came with gave me some improvement and evenmore when I changed the suspension settings.

IMG-20220925-WA0001.jpg Going to register my results this evening. Really enjoyed this one!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Going to register my results this evening. Really enjoyed this one!

Thanks for the reminder, just submitted mine, I was going to forget 😅 Glad people had fun on this one.

• Like 2

I am hoping to get the results collated and posted later this evening, so if anyone hasn't submitted theirs yet, please do so ASAP!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

I am hoping to get the results collated and posted later this evening, so if anyone hasn't submitted theirs yet, please do so ASAP!

I had a go yesterday, but it's the first time I had the cars out since the lawn recovered from the UK heatwave. That means the kids wouldn't leave me alone long enough to have a real go

Top Force Evo was run brushless for the first time, but I reshaped the track by running over the corner markers so much. Lap count was irrelevant but it was a lot of fun. :lol:

I also gave my new Avante Black a run. It's surprisingly nice to drive, but I got caught out by failing to threadlock a single metal-on-metal screw. Unfortunately it was the one holding the servo saver to the servo, so I lost steering after a handful of laps.

I'll have to try to find more time next month, but I've also built a tt02s which might suit tight circuits and hard surfaces better.

• Like 2

Position Username Lap count Car Motor Battery Running surface Surface modifiers
1 Ferruz 38 DF-01 Manta Ray 13.5t Bluebottle 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Tarmac was cracked and bumpy
2 Ferruz 38 Terra Scorcher 2020 17.5t Flash Racing A Series 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Tarmac was cracked and bumpy
3 Andreas W 37 M-05 Golf MK1 TT 25T 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.
4 Tamiyastef 36 M-05 540 silver can 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.
5 Liksdu02 36 TRF415 MSX 8t brushless 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.
6 TurnipJF 36 M-06 Renault Alpine 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.
7 Liksdu02 34 Ta04s Corvette c5 8.5t brushless 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.
8 Tamiyastef 32 TA03F 540 silver can 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.
  • Like 4

Congrats to Ferruz and Andreas W for the podium places! Thanks to everyone making this possible, I really enjoy driving all these different layouts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This time I set myself the challenge of competing on a French circuit with a French car. However the only French car I have in my fleet was my M-06 Renault Alpine, which I think acquitted itself pretty well considering that I have it set to Rally spec, with knobbly tyres, raised suspension, etc, but I wasn't able to make it onto the podium.

However last night my wife commented that I have been conspicuously absent from the postal racing winner's circle of late, so for our next round, wherever that may be, I think I will break out the big guns and see if I can have a serious shot at top spot. (If I succeed, I will probably still ask one of our resident creative experts to come up for the following round's track! 😁)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

on a French circuit

Okay I know Belgium is a bit special, very small country but still divided in 3 area's where another language is spoken. Flanders and part of Brussels where they speak Dutch, "Wallonie" and part of Brussels where they speak French and another small part where they speak German. Spa Francorchamps is in "Wallonie" where they speak French but it's still Belgium an not France, might explain why you missed the podium :D

It's such a great circuit I couldn't let it go as a French circuit, they have Le Mans after all :P 

BTW: absolute ace missing the podium only by 1 lap with an M-06, quite an achievement and well beyond my driving skills. 

• Haha 6

49 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

Spa Francorchamps is in "Wallonie" where they speak French but it's still Belgium an not France, might explain why you missed the podium :D

Ah yes, that would explain it. If we ever revisit this layout, I'll have to see if I can find a Belgian car instead. 😁

• Haha 4

Thanks for the racing, guys. I like the Golf more and more. I gotta say that I have been lucky with the surface. Until now the grip has been superb. I had a good bash with my son on Sunday. First the Grasshornet on astro and then the Golf on tarmac. This was rough, bumpy tarmac on a schoolyard and then it was clear how good the grip is on the Brand new commuter parking. Then there was off power oversteer and no grip at breaking - and no weight transfer. Still good fun for both of us. 

Now it's time to build the Thunder Dragon, so I have a car for carefree driving during the winter. Then the good lapcounts are gone. 

• Like 1

Another round is over, I'm stoked with the win (the Manta Ray really went into overdrive this time to be able to achieve the same result of the Scorchy!) and it's real fun to see how close we all got at the finishing line in terms of lap count 👍 congrats, everybody 🏁

As for me, I'll try to have round 28 figured out by the end of this week. Also, I better enjoy the winning feeling now, as when Turnip shows up with the big guns again I'm pretty sure the situation will change! 😅

Glad everybody had fun, and hopefully we'll get to see some familiar names back on the starting grid sometime soon 😉 the more, the merrier.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Evening, drivers.

Pending @TurnipJF's approval, you are all invited to Italy for the next round of our Racing by Post. Round 28 will be ran at the Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari,also known as...Imola! 🇮🇹🏁

20221001-175317.jpg

Back to a counterclockwise track, to even out the tires a little 😉

I hope you all have fun, see you on the starting grid everybody.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Evening, drivers.

Pending @TurnipJF's approval, you are all invited to Italy for the next round of our Racing by Post. Round 28 will be ran at the Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari,also known as...Imola! 🇮🇹🏁

20221001-175317.jpg

Back to a counterclockwise track, to even out the tires a little 😉

I hope you all have fun, see you on the starting grid everybody.

Looks awesome! Consider it approved. 

Round 28 runs until midnight GMT on Sunday 30 October. Rules and results submission as per first post in the thread. Best of luck everyone!

• Like 4

Right, I have the day off work, the sun is shining, the wind and rain last night did an excellent job of cleaning my running area which is now almost fully dry, my 13.5t TB-03 is wearing its race blob bodyshell and Sorex boots, my batteries are on charge, my tyres are warming and I have a good feeling about today's postal racing lap counts. Let's see how it goes! 😀

• Like 3

I got inspired by Turnip on Thursday and charged the round Lipo at work for a good drive in the lovely weather. Unfortunately the commuter parking was used by commuters, so no driving for the Golf then. I have only driven the Golf 3 stints so far. There is room for improvement. The weather has been awful. Yesterday out of desperacy I tried the Tomahawk on soaking wet astro. Following Nicsinc's Sunday driver-approach it went relatively well. Only 4 laps behind the Golf. When it dries up the understeer is hopefully gone. 

• Like 1