TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

I’m late to this thread. I am loving the concept t. I think I might jump in on the next round when I see the new course layout announced 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I had a number of factors working in my favour.

• The running surface I had available was well-laid and barely used tarmac, which I swept free of debris beforehand.
  • The area I used was just a few doors down from our house, so I could go there over and over again, getting more practice and improving my lap count. My first run was in the low 30s and I improved incrementally from there.
  • The race-grade Sorex tyres I used were scrubbed in but not worn out, at the point where they provided optimum grip, and the weather was favourably warm but not too hot, putting the track surface at a temperature that suited the tyres very well.
  • The cars with which I achieved the 48 laps were my TB-03 and TT-02 Type S. The TB-03 is an excellent car out of the box, but mine has had all the plastics replaced with their carbon reinforced versions and has been shimmed to near-TRF levels of precision. The TT-02 Type S, while not as good out of the box as the TB-03, has had pretty much every worthwhile upgrade fitted and is now very close to the TB-03 in terms of performance. Both cars make even infrequent racers such as myself seem a lot more skilled than they actually are!
  • I tend to be quite conservative with my gearing, as one of the venues at which I raced pre-Coronapocalypse was in a small village hall and tracks were typically very tight and technical. This suited the compact course used in this round.
  • All the cars I drove have two bodyshells - a proper Tamiya  display one finished to a high standard, and a cheap, expendable runner shell. I could therefore push the limits without worrying about rolling and messing up a nice body. The touring cars used "race blob" shells for their runs, which probably also enhanced the cars' performance.
  • Each counted run was preceded by a warm-up session, which brought the tyres up to temp and helped me achieve a rhythm. Only once able to consistently drive clean laps did the stopwatch start and the counting begin.
  • The runs were timed and the laps were counted by my dear wife, which had two benefits. Firstly, I could concentrate on my driving. Secondly, having her watching gave me added motivation to drive well and impress her.

Much as I'd like to say it all came down to my impressive skills as a driver, I strongly suspect that a lot of people would have managed even more laps than me had they been running similarly-specced cars under the same conditions.

LOL, we had pretty much the exact opposite factors!

• Running surface was local car park with lots of small twigs and leaves littering the ground from the high winds we'd had the day before
  • I was on hard compound pin spikes, only my daughter had soft compound race grade tarmac tyres on rear (and worn out soft pins on front)
  • The surface was damp and in some places slippery due to previous days heavy rain and in shade of trees or hedges
  • We don't have touring cars so were using buggies designed for rough dirt tracks not tarmac racing
  • We didn't bother doing any setup beforehand because my daughter wanted to run her new car as it came out of the box (and I couldn't be bothered LOL))
  • The terra scorchers steering had lots of play and old cheap servos although oddly enough my well used buggy tracked far better at speed than daughters new build one
  • I was using a 19T motor, 8.4v and a smaller pinion,  it spun up the pin spikes far too easily and lost traction around corners, daughters car on alot less power had much better traction
  • Both our shells are mint, my daughters was literally only completed the day before the race so neither of us wanted to damage them
  • Car park was small, too narrow to allow safety room on one side of the 4m wide cones to the 6 inch high concrete curb 3-4 feet away which made us back off a bit on that section!
  • We didn't get our cars built up until saturday and it was then torrential rain and high winds so first practise was just 5 mins prior to our timed laps on sunday.

They weren't excuses by the way, just saying how funny it was that we had almost opposite conditions to you BUT we still thoroughly enjoyed it and I think the 'run what u brung' format works well, especially with your fabulous results table. It was lovely to spend time with my daughter and other than a slightly heated exchange when she crashed into my brand new lap monitor and mobile phone, we had great FUN!

My daughter is of course delighted that she beat me and will no doubt remind me of this for years to come.........

Attached is a pic of the cars we used and the car park (local rec ground), looks smooth in the pic but up close it is covered in debris and is rough as badword. 

postal_racing (1).jpg

postal_racing (2).jpg

• Like 3

Same rules as last time:

• Run watcha brung - open to any class/category of RC car. However please include chassis, motor and battery details when submitting your results.
  • Set up the course on the terrain of your choice, but please include the terrain type when submitting your results.
  • Run for 5 minutes from a standing start. Count your laps (or use a lap counter or assistant to do so). When you reach 5 minutes, finish the lap you are on and submit the lap total as your result.
  • Feel free to enter as many times as you like with as many different cars as you like. Your best result with each car will be reported in the final tally.
  • The round will end at midnight GMT on Sunday 11 October, hopefully giving everyone time to work around weather, work and family commitments, etc.
  • Have fun and stay safe!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Wow, fab track, loved the video explaining it too.

Not wishing to sound like a mad man and constantly repeating the same thing over and over expecting a different result, and being like a stubborn mule and ignoring the fact that a buggy is probably not the best choice, and ignoring the fact higher power resulted in me losing last round to my daughter, I will once more be bringing a buggy, on pin spikes and this time I'm upping the chances of catastrophic damage, misery and race loss by running my freshly rebuilt (as of last night) Vanquish fitted with a 13T Dyna Run super touring motor with a race spec ESC (with no reverse).

My only concession to logic or common sense will be to use an old knackered shell, freshly painted in fluorescent yellow so I can see it from 20m away - my poor old eyes need all the help they can get! :lol:

• Like 2

A Dog Leg, BRILLIANT!! And 20 meter straights... My M05, ballistic in a straight line, might like that better. 😊  Those tight Turns might still be an issue that will require Swaybars...

There's now a chance that my TT-02 will be READY in time!! Longer, lower, lighter, MORE POWER!!!! 😁

I've got an OPTIMAL surface (fresh, brushed Concrete) so I can't use that as an excuse... I'm going to need PRACTICE and lots of it!!! 😜  Thanks for doing this, I really look forward to it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Carmine A said:

A Dog Leg, BRILLIANT!! And 20 meter straights... My M05, ballistic in a straight line, might like that better. 😊  Those tight Turns might still be an issue that will require Swaybars...

There's now a chance that my TT-02 will be READY in time!! Longer, lower, lighter, MORE POWER!!!! 😁

I've got an OPTIMAL surface (fresh, brushed Concrete) so I can't use that as an excuse... I'm going to need PRACTICE and lots of it!!! 😜  Thanks for doing this, I really look forward to it.

I should warn you that:

• BOTH mudlets may be entering the next round
  • Middle mudlet may be getting a motor upgrade
  • Middle mudlet has two weeks to practise instead of 5 minutes
  • More race spec tarmac tyres have arrived here
  • I'll be entering the rebuilt vanquish with 13T motor, 20 or 21T pinion
  • As a wildcard, I will enter the still unfinished and expensively rebuilt Avante2001, full carbon kit, 11T motor and 8.4v (top speed probably around 35mph, I'll confirm with GPS at weekend)
  • This time we'll have the lap monitor safely protected from errant buggies so hope to have a breakdown of lap times too!

So the buggies are gonna try their best to close the gap with the touring cars :lol: (yeah, yeah, let me dream)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

and to avoid me using the excuse about poor eyesight I sprayed the old knackered Vanquish shell (which I was actually going to bin) in fluorescent yellow so I can easily see it from over 20m away......

vanquish13.jpg

The Avante2001 is about to be sprayed an equally 'pukey' colour...... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did anyone use a G6-01 in the last round? I’m considering running that course on grass or gravel/sand with by King Yellow for this round ( I may do multiple cars/ surfaces ) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

Did anyone use a G6-01 in the last round? I’m considering running that course on grass or gravel/sand with by King Yellow for this round ( I may do multiple cars/ surfaces ) 

Sounds good! I'll give mine a run too, and see what it can manage in comparison. What motor do you use? Mine has a Torque Tuned in it at the moment. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Sounds good! I'll give mine a run too, and see what it can manage in comparison. What motor do you use? Mine has a Torque Tuned in it at the moment. 

Mine is running a Dynamite 15T brushed motor with a HW 1060 esc 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

Mine is running a Dynamite 15T brushed motor with a HW 1060 esc 

Are the Hobbywing ESC's reliable? I ask because I need to buy a few new ESC's. All my existing experience has been with Novak Rooster and Super Rooster ESC's and I have not had a single issue with them in over 16 years use in all conditions including torrential rain and running 8.4v or even 9.6v and 13T motors.

I need to get a few new buggies setup to run but sadly Novak no longer exists as far as I can see, I'd like the equivalent of a Novak rooster with ability to run LiPo and brushless. Is hobbywing capable?

Also I am new to Brushless as all my buggies currently run brushed. If I was to buy a brushless and LiPo setup to replace my existing Novak Rooster, 13t Dyna Run super touring and 8.4v NiCD packs for use in Terra Scorcher and Avante chassis buggies what would be the best value to buy? I don't really want to spend vast sums but equally I don't want to buy something cheap that only lasts a year. Will Hobbbywing ESC's last 15+ years like my Novaks?

I'd also like to keep the same sort of top speeds if possible:

• my 19T Reedy 8.4v Terra Scorcher does 25mph
  • my 13T Dyna Run ST 8.4v Avante2001 does 35mph
  • my 13T Dyna Run 9.6v Terra Scorcher does 43mph

all on 18+ yr old Sanyo NiCD's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Are the Hobbywing ESC's reliable? I ask because I need to buy a few new ESC's. All my existing experience has been with Novak Rooster and Super Rooster ESC's and I have not had a single issue with them in over 16 years use in all conditions including torrential rain and running 8.4v or even 9.6v and 13T motors.

I need to get a few new buggies setup to run but sadly Novak no longer exists as far as I can see, I'd like the equivalent of a Novak rooster with ability to run LiPo and brushless. Is hobbywing capable?

Also I am new to Brushless as all my buggies currently run brushed. If I was to buy a brushless and LiPo setup to replace my existing Novak Rooster, 13t Dyna Run super touring and 8.4v NiCD packs for use in Terra Scorcher and Avante chassis buggies what would be the best value to buy? I don't really want to spend vast sums but equally I don't want to buy something cheap that only lasts a year. Will Hobbbywing ESC's last 15+ years like my Novaks?

I'd also like to keep the same sort of top speeds if possible:

• my 19T Reedy 8.4v Terra Scorcher does 25mph
  • my 13T Dyna Run ST 8.4v Avante2001 does 35mph
  • my 13T Dyna Run 9.6v Terra Scorcher does 43mph

all on 18+ yr old Sanyo NiCD's.

I have not used a brushless Hobbywing yet, but the Brushed 1060 is rock solid in the time I have had it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

I have not used a brushless Hobbywing yet, but the Brushed 1060 is rock solid in the time I have had it. 

I have the 10bl60 running a 10.5t motor and a 10bl120 running a 5.5r motor both brushless and I would recommend hobbywing ESC. And I have had no problems. With the program cards they are fast and easy to set up

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do the same tool apply - as many laps in 5 minutes and fastest lap?

Btw this track looks great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, DayRider said:

I have the 10bl60 running a 10.5t motor and a 10bl120 running a 5.5r motor both brushless and I would recommend hobbywing ESC. And I have had no problems. With the program cards they are fast and easy to set up

I run a 10BL60, with a 4300kv Sensorless.... How are you running a 10.5? Those are usually Sensored, and my ESC has no Sensor input. 😖

You're right though, the Tuneability is awesome!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mud4fun said:

I should warn you that:

• BOTH mudlets may be entering the next round
  • Middle mudlet may be getting a motor upgrade
  • Middle mudlet has two weeks to practise instead of 5 minutes
  • More race spec tarmac tyres have arrived here
  • I'll be entering the rebuilt vanquish with 13T motor, 20 or 21T pinion
  • As a wildcard, I will enter the still unfinished and expensively rebuilt Avante2001, full carbon kit, 11T motor and 8.4v (top speed probably around 35mph, I'll confirm with GPS at weekend)
  • This time we'll have the lap monitor safely protected from errant buggies so hope to have a breakdown of lap times too!

So the buggies are gonna try their best to close the gap with the touring cars :lol: (yeah, yeah, let me dream)

You DREAM Sir!! 😂😄😂

But it does sound like I may have to up my Game a bit.... 630779646_Wraith117.thumb.jpg.01c5cf763713a618eef53a060a1c77a1.jpg

THIS Heavy Badboy could be up to it!!! 😊 1245542550_Wraith113.thumb.jpg.8628f82cc0a8d409a0015fef857bd488.jpg

119066665_WraithV81.jpg.96e937f16b566a0e807afc3fe67e913c.jpg

Built for SPEED - over anything!! 1571272137_WraithTHMod.thumb.jpg.b63319575ed74d9d3fae658eecfe6600.jpg

There's a Hobbywing WP10BL120 under there, with 6S capability!!! 😲 I would just have to find room for a second 3S Batry!! 😜  Of course, TURNING might be a problem..... 

I may have to put a rush on my TT-02, which thanks to Eric - will FINALLY have a Body!!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, and for the older, uninitiated Yanks.... 20m is 65.6ft!! VERY generous Straights. 😁

• Haha 1

If I get chance I'll run my crawler around the track, it may not complete one lap but would be funny to see how long it takes  :lol:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

If I get chance I'll run my crawler around the track, it may not complete one lap but would be funny to see how long it takes  :lol:

Maybe if there's a SLOWEST Time, you'll have it hands down!! 😂

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2020 at 10:57 AM, TurnipJF said:

Results are in for Round 1:

Laps: Participant: Chassis: Motor: Battery: Surface:
48 TurnipJF TB-03 13.5t 2S LiPo tarmac
48 TurnipJF TT-02 Type S 13.5t 2S LiPo tarmac
47 TurnipJF TT-01 13.5t 2S LiPo tarmac
41 TurnipJF M-08 (225mm) 13.5t 2S LiPo tarmac
40 TurnipJF M-07 (225mm) 13.5t 2S LiPo tarmac
39 TurnipJF M-03 (210mm) Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH tarmac
36 jupitertwo Avante re-re 25t GT Tuned 2S LiPo grass
35 Cacheley82 HPI RS4 Sport Flux HPI 4000kV 2S LiPo concrete
35 mud4fun's middle daughter Terra Scorcher (new) 23t Super Stock 7.2V NiMH tarmac
34 Carmine A M-05 (225mm) Torque Tuned 3S LiPo concrete
34 jupitertwo XV-01 17.5t 2S LiPo grass
32 markbt73 KyoshoTurbo Optima Re-re LeMans Stock 05 (27t) 2S LiPo mixed
30 mud4fun Terra Scorcher (knackered) 19t Reedy 8.4V NiMH tarmac
30 Saito2 Super Boomerhotshoterang Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH mixed
28 SupraChrgd82 M-07R 21,5t 7.2V NiMH tarmac
25 markbt73 WR-02C Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH mixed
24 markbt73 Carisma SCA-1E Dynamite 20t 7.2V NiMH mixed
24 Team Nessie (DayRider) M-05 (225mm) Hobbywing 4000kV 7.2V NiMH tarmac

It appears that no two people entered the same combination of terrain, power plant and chassis category, so in essence everyone won their own class. Well done all!

I see I am too late for this track.

I did with my M05ver2, 210mm, 10T SL brushless on 2s, 38rounds. Seems hard to track the time-track-and lap counting all by myself. 

ROqFkxR.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DayRider said:

Do the same tool apply - as many laps in 5 minutes and fastest lap?

Btw this track looks great

Aye, the key performance indicator for competition purposes is the total number of laps in 5 minutes. Fastest lap is just for interest sake as not everyone has a means of measuring it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Carmine A said:

I run a 10BL60, with a 4300kv Sensorless.... How are you running a 10.5? Those are usually Sensored, and my ESC has no Sensor input. 😖

You're right though, the Tuneability is awesome!

16014743973531012705784400393551.jpg

16014744522656174651980155326233.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

I see I am too late for this track.

I did with my M05ver2, 210mm, 10T SL brushless on 2s, 38rounds. Seems hard to track the time-track-and lap counting all by myself. 

ROqFkxR.jpg

Get in on the next round mate, I'm sure they'll take you first round on faith. All for fun mate and bragging rights 💪

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Aye, the key performance indicator for competition purposes is the total number of laps in 5 minutes. Fastest lap is just for interest sake as not everyone has a means of measuring it. 

What I have been doing is getting my phone lined up with the start/stop line and recording it, or put it in a position so you can record the hole track. I have also been using my camcorder for the action shots.

I am really looking forward to this one.

• Like 1