TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

23 hours ago, nicksincrc said:

Hi, I'm going to ask this here first here before trying anywhere else , so finally got around to building my m06 alpine jager and I put 3racing shocks on and then I noticed on the pro instructions I looked up you insert a spacer inside the shock to shorten the front cva shocks. Now the 3racing did come with a little aluminium  spacer but no real great instructions. Rear shocks are mounted at the standard point not on the pro hopup shaft. I can adjust the height at the front with the shock spring adjuster, do I need to fit the spacer? any ideas ?

Assuming this spacer goes inside the shock under the piston? If so this will limit droop. On an M06 excessive rear droop might lead to instability under breaking, on acceleration it could lead to an unstable front end (especially under power).

As the shocks you have are probably not M06 specific all I can suggest is running it and reporting back on any handling abnormalities - as the way you've built them already might prove to be completley fine!

• Thanks 1

Okie Dokie, so today the sun was shining after some recent rain gave a good quality empty car park a clean and became  the destination for a few laps of Silverstone.

Mrs Re-Bugged came along to man the Pit, Timer, Marshal and count laps as I’m a bit doughy from meeting up with a few mates I haven’t seen for a while last night 🍻.

The 3 weapons of choice were the M08 Mini, now Brushless powered. What a hoot that is  😁. Probably could do with dialling  the timing back a bit as the scolded cat acceleration was a handful on the tight technical bits. 2 new ones on the grid today were a Terra Scorcher in road trim which was a joy as well with its excellent turning circle, and the Ford GT MK2. Although the GT is a ripper I kinda gave up with it after some warm up laps, the TT chassis’s are tricky to get around the tight bits without the turning circle of the other two. It would be much more suited to a bigger faster flowing track after seeing it stretch its legs outside the confines of the marked out circuit.

Part of Silverstone was sponsored by Kellogg’s All Bran today held down with some duct tape to make up for the 2 markers I was short of my 7 rubber ones.

046348AD-AEE8-44D1-9C97-8E288E39AC38.md. 

05010F1F-6DD8-4344-ADDA-FFAE2EE96427.md.

Another very enjoyable outing 👍🏻

• Like 4

Had a go last Friday with both the M-05 (tarmac spec) and the Aqroshot, both on a loose dirt track... Let's say there's lots and lots of room for improvement...

20220722_151502.jpg

The M-05 looked more as a dump truck afterwards :D

20220722_152705.jpg20220722_170751.jpg

This Silverstone round will end on the 31th I hope. I might be able to squeeze in another attempt on my usual spot (tarmac) then.

• Like 2

Wow @Tamiyastef looks like you picked up some serious ballast weight there!!

I bet the M05 front wheel drive made for some interesting handling on the dirt 👍🏻

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Okie Dokie, so today the sun was shining after some recent rain gave a good quality empty car park a clean and became  the destination for a few laps of Silverstone.

Mrs Re-Bugged came along to man the Pit, Timer, Marshal and count laps as I’m a bit doughy from meeting up with a few mates I haven’t seen for a while last night 🍻.

The 3 weapons of choice were the M08 Mini, now Brushless powered. What a hoot that is  😁. Probably could do with dialling  the timing back a bit as the scolded cat acceleration was a handful on the tight technical bits. 2 new ones on the grid today were a Terra Scorcher in road trim which was a joy as well with its excellent turning circle, and the Ford GT MK2. Although the GT is a ripper I kinda gave up with it after some warm up laps, the TT chassis’s are tricky to get around the tight bits without the turning circle of the other two. It would be much more suited to a bigger faster flowing track after seeing it stretch its legs outside the confines of the marked out circuit.

Part of Silverstone was sponsored by Kellogg’s All Bran today held down with some duct tape to make up for the 2 markers I was short of my 7 rubber ones.

046348AD-AEE8-44D1-9C97-8E288E39AC38.md. 

05010F1F-6DD8-4344-ADDA-FFAE2EE96427.md.

Another very enjoyable outing 👍🏻

What a gorgeous line up on the grid!! I'm eager to know, how did the Aussie Scorcher do so far? It looks mean and mighty capable with those on road tires! 🤠

Looks like a fun spot for the course @Tamiyastef!

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

What a gorgeous line up on the grid!! I'm eager to know, how did the Aussie Scorcher do so far? It looks mean and mighty capable with those on road tires! 🤠

Thanks mate 😃

I’ve been wanting to have a road bias buggy in the collection for a long time, I just never got round to it with the Javelin so the TS was a perfect candidate. With a partial hangover though I’d say your crown is safe for the time being 🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

@Tamiyastef 

I bet the M05 front wheel drive made for some interesting handling on the dirt 👍🏻

Well the gravel was a bit to big so the car got hung up quite often. That was a bit of a bummer as it reminded me of one of the biggest RC disappointments of my youth. When I got to the beach for the first time with my Grasshopper BITD the tide was in and it got stuck on every wobble in the loose sand. It was around 1985 so some heavy 1200 to 1400 mAh battery and real 380 power! Still love my Grasshopper 💕.

The M05 cleared some kind of a path free from too big gravel and made it more of a drift track towards the end. This is more due to my lack of commitment than to the chassis's shortcomings. It was on slicks and suspension set up for tarmac. But it was real fun and it has some nice scars on the bottom of the chassis to prove that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Looks like a fun spot for the course @Tamiyastef!

Thanks. It was indeed a lot of fun. How different these cars react on tarmac or loose dirt 🤪

4 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Well the gravel was a bit to big so the car got hung up quite often. That was a bit of a bummer as it reminded me of one of the biggest RC disappointments of my youth. When I got to the beach for the first time with my Grasshopper BITD the tide was in and it got stuck on every wobble in the loose sand. It was around 1985 so some heavy 1200 to 1400 mAh battery and real 380 power! Still love my Grasshopper 💕.

I think the 2 general rules  of thumb applies to RC cars on sand as it does with riding motorbikes on sand, pin the throttle back and don’t stop 😁

Sand is also a power sapping environment so there is no such thing as too much power either 👍🏻
I remember taking my Sport Tuned Stadium Blitzer to the beach for the first time to, much like your GH very underwhelming. Now on 2s/brushless with Sand Paddles  it’s much more fun.

• Like 2

With the minimal ground clearance and the well lubricated open differential the gearbox of the Grasshopper hung up on every little pile of sand. I believe a locked/very limited slip differential would make more of a difference than more power. The combination would be best :D 

• Like 1

After a long absence from entering the Racing by Post series, I planned an all-out assault for Round 25:

eUIMoyH.jpg

Conditions were perfect for a concentrated effort. A tarmac parking lot/carpark at moderate temperatures ensured that whatever I brought, there would be grip. To that end, I brought four cars (pictured above): my TA-04 Loctite Zexel GT-R; the F104W Ferrari 312T3; the Super Striker; and my F103RS/LM Toyota GT-One. The first- and last-named were each brought out of storage for this round (if only I entered that GT-One for Trop-Petit Le Mans...).

From my experience running the Lancia 037 at Round 18, I figured that four-wheel drive would be the easiest to adjust to, so I started with the GT-R:

jsQrj9Q.jpg

xC58lMh.jpg

Four attempts were made, with the first two going on one battery. The second set of runs was made after every other car had been driven. It was obvious that the car was not set up for such a technical circuit, but repetition allowed me to find a suitable racing line for my last runs. The car was on well-worn rubber tires; despite this, the relatively-clean and warm tarmac meant the tires could generate some decent grip. Powerslides around corners 8-9-1 featured prominently, though my best runs used a more-refined line. Of the four, it understeered, but was at least stable.

The second series of attempts went to my GT-One:

ZDjeKbB.jpg

hs1vYCc.jpg

Note the smudging of the chalk; I took a generous racing line with the GT-R!

Compared to the GT-R, the GT-One cornered aggressively and gripped well. It also ran near-silently. I got a decent run on my first pass, and was going even quicker on my second attempt until the battery flattened out with 35 seconds to go! I limped it home to avoid the DNF :P

The Ferrari was the third car up:

ywIpWsv.jpg

Curiously, despite carrying more cosmetic items than the GT-One, it actually weighed less than the Le Mans chassis.

I transitioned from the F103 to the F104, thinking that while I was driving reasonably-well with a Formula/Le Mans chassis, I should continue with the theme. The car cornered well and had decent grip, but was not quite on the same level as the GT-One. Despite this, I turned in a decent result after two attempts, and was quite happy with its performance.

The Ferrari also tends to collect the most road debris underneath it - the crackling of stones pinging off the chassis sounded like backfiring! An amazing scale performance from my most-scale entry :lol:

The Super Striker was the last one out:

n5Linvp.jpg

As an off-road car set up for off-road driving, driving on tarmac, I had low expectations for this one. Sure enough, it neither gripped well nor cornered with any  particular enthusiasm. What I can say about it, however, is that it behaved consistently, and allowed me to find a rhythm a bit more quickly than the other cars. This was quite strange, given its lack of outstanding driving attributes - perhaps its slower acceleration meant I could react better to corners?

One run was enough for the Super Striker - a second one resulted in a flat battery and a DNF, and it did not sound particularly happy on the pavement (imagine the sound of mini-pin treads wearing on asphalt; the car even made tire-skidding noises!). It was back to the GT-R and then the GT-One for its second pair of attempts.

The last run of the GT-One was its best, as I fought a battery that threatened to flatten in the closing stages of the run (I could do two 5-minute stints on one battery with this car - if I limited my warm-up laps). The decision to run on foam tires did well for my results, as did running the differential at minimal pre-load. The GT-R's sessions went off without incident.

The Ferrari would have had another set of runs, but it actually nearly had its differential back out during its second attempt; I tightened it again, but thereafter struggled to drive it with the same speed as before. With that, I elected to forego a third or fourth attempt.

All in all, it was a rewarding session:

jdQkTsT.jpg

I managed to go through 7 batteries between the four cars, so I had plenty of time with them, indeed!

As I may have accomplished all that I could with at least three of these cars, any future attempts will likely involve different entrants. I may be inclined to give the Super Striker a go on a non-tarmac surface, however...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@Grastens great line up mate, and awesome race report. I really enjoyed reading through it.

• Thanks 1

I had another go today with the M-05 only and on my usual spot (tarmac). I really need to disassemble and clean it properly after running it in the dirt. I can still see some small stones wedged in the car and also hear some of them rattling around somewhere in the chassis...  Had some great fun again!

20220728_210214.jpg20220728_210910.jpg

Number of laps was immediatly increased compared to my "dirt" run but even more significantly when getting close to marker 6 before making the 3/4 chicane and close to marker 8 before making the 5/6 chicane. That really made a difference. 

• Like 4

On 7/25/2022 at 7:15 PM, Grastens said:

After a long absence from entering the Racing by Post series, I planned an all-out assault for Round 25:

eUIMoyH.jpg

Conditions were perfect for a concentrated effort. A tarmac parking lot/carpark at moderate temperatures ensured that whatever I brought, there would be grip. To that end, I brought four cars (pictured above): my TA-04 Loctite Zexel GT-R; the F104W Ferrari 312T3; the Super Striker; and my F103RS/LM Toyota GT-One. The first- and last-named were each brought out of storage for this round (if only I entered that GT-One for Trop-Petit Le Mans...).

I'm jealous of that GTR, Next to the Calsonic livery, the Loctite Zexel GTR was my second favorite livery. 

But super duper jealous of the GT ONE; I've wanted one of those for so dang long. When you find them now though, even just the body is crazy expensive :/

I might have a local friend that wants to try out the Racing By Post, So maybe that'll push me into not procrastinating joining the fun any longer :lol:

-RC Perspective

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't forget, today is the last day to get your runs in for round 25! 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Don't forget, today is the last day to get your runs in for round 25! 😃

Gonna try a last time this afternoon if I can squeeze it in 😁

• Like 1

Had another go but no more improvement on my lapcount. Results are in.

• Like 1

No time to race for me today, so I just sent in my previous results. Thanks for the reminder, Turnip!

• Like 1

Hi everyone. 

I discovered 3 month ago this challenge. It's very a great idea! Unfortunately each time, I loosed the window to register my run.

This month I'm correctly synchronize. 😅

I make the run with my old cars : a tl01 Ford focus 99' with standard motor and 5kA nimh battery,

a ta04s corvette c5 with 17t brushed motor and 2s hv battery,

a ta04-trf peugeot 406 coupé with 10.5t tbml02s motor and 2s hv battery,

and a trf415msx Honda nsx 2005 with 8t brushless motor and 2s hv battery.

I will post soon some pictures of those cars 😉

Very happy to joined the race. 🤗

• Like 6

Position Username Lap count Car Motor Battery Running surface Surface modifiers (Optional) Running weight (Optional) Best lap
1 Grastens 39 F103LM Toyota GT-One 20T Traxxas Stinger 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1153 7.1
2 Grastens 38 F104 Ferrari 312T3 27T Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1125 7.22
3 Grastens 35 TA-04 Loctite Zexel GT-R 23T Super Stock RZ 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1622 7.71
4 Grastens 35 Super Striker 23T brushed 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1798 8.12
5 Ferruz 34 Terra Scorcher 2020 17.5T Flash Racing A Series 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Cracked and bumpy tarmac    
6 Liks du 02 33 Ta04s, Corvette C5 8.5t brushless hobbiwing 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
7 Liks du 02 32 Ta04-trf, Peugeot 406 coupé (Hpi body) 10.5t brushless tblm-02s 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
8 Liks du 02 32 Trf415msx, honda nsx raybrig 8t brushless t2m 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
9 Re-Bugged 31 Terra Scorcher 20t Brushed 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
10 tamiyastef 31 M-05 RbP PickUp 540 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
11 Re-Bugged 30 M08 Mini 17.5t Brushless 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
12 Andeeas W 29 M-05 Golf MK1 Tamiya TT 25T 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
13 Coopz 27 ORV Brat Silver can stock 8.4V NiCad Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
14 Andreas W 26 Tomahawk YR Hackmoto 23T 2S LiPo Astro No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
15 Liks du 02 24 Tl01, Ford focus 99' Standard brushed motor 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
16 TurnipJF 23 G6-01 SWAT APC 25t Torque Tuned 2S LiPo Grass No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
17 TurnipJF 22 GF-01 SHERP 25t Torque Tuned 2S LiPo Grass No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
18 Coopz 21 GF-01 CB hotshot Silver can stock 8.4V NiCad Grass Long grass    
19 TurnipJF 21 WR-02G Farm King 25t Torque Tuned 2S LiPo Grass No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
20 tamiyastef 13 DT-03 Aqroshot 540 2S LiPo Dirt It was sandy.    
21 tamiyastef 11 M-05 RbP PickUp 540 2S LiPo Dirt It was sandy.    
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well done @Grastens! And thanks to all who took part. A nice full grid this time!

This time I set myself the challenge of running only comicals, and doing so on grass instead of my usual tarmac. As anticipated, I am nowhere near the podium, but it was a lot of fun. I was also a bit surprised that of the three cars I entered, I got my best result with the heaviest one with the most drivetrain drag. Probably because it spent less time wheelying than the other two. :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Congrats @Grastens Really impressive, especially the SuperStriker!

Nice one @TurnipJF putting another challenge in the challenge. 

I'm addictive by nature but yes, I  have to admit: my name is Tamiyastef and I'm a RbP addict 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wow, Grastens. The 39 laps were brutalB). Congrats. I have expected that the fastest guys would have made 35 ish laps, but 39... Hat off :).

And of course really cool to see many entries - both new and old. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1