TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

I had my first tries yesterday. Started with the TA03F, got three runs done and some improvement on every attempt. Still room for further improvement. Feels alot better with the 16T pinion and the Sport Tuned compared to the 14T or 18T pinion on the standard silver can.

20221009_112234.jpg20221009_112244.jpg

Next the M05 PickUp. Had time left for only one run. One more lap than the best TA03F attempt right away...

20221009_115428.jpg20221009_115438.jpg

• Like 4

Had a go just now with the Tomahawk and the Grasshornet. The weather got worse while I changed the lipo,  but I did not want to discharge it directly, so it was clear that it was gonna be a wet race. 

No improvement for the Tomahawk. It was so slippery it was almost impossible to get around marker 6 and I more or less constantly drove over marker 7. This was a waste of time. 

The Grasshornet was a pleasant surprice. I gave it a new fishing line for the rear axle yesterday and it said "thanks" and put the Tomahawk in the corner of shame. With some halfway worn out Mini Spikes rear it ended up only one lap short of the Tommy. Not bad for a toy.

The pic says it all. We were all soaking wet - even the lens. 

DSC_0001.JPG

• Like 5

Well, I was hoping to get acquainted with the new course this afternoon, but the wind keeps blowing massive amounts of fallen leaves towards my usual playground! Even with the leaf blower at hand, there's no point in trying to clearit out, so I guess I'll just go for a free run instead.

Not being able to set up the track here today will likely be an incentive for me to go to my other, much better playground at the Home Depot parking lot one of the next days. That was the original plan anyway, that and possibly some new tires to try and keep up with @TurnipJF's big guns 😅 (Btw, can't wait to find out what your weapons of choice will be this time!)

• Like 3

I think I’ll join in later this evening! Grab my TT02 and see what I can do! I just wish my Hotshot wasn’t taken apart- it has great control at low speeds! Might even test my TL-01, that, as stated by others, has the center of gravity of a flagpole. I’ll let you all know how it goes! :lol:

• Like 2

@RC_FunLand you won't regret joining in, so much fun! I had another go late this afternoon. Usual suspects...

20221016_172706.jpg and 20221016_174307.jpg or...

First one is indeed my M-05 based racing PickUp but the Citroën C3 Rally was based upon a TA03F chassis but now sits on top off 

20221016_174321.jpg an XV-01 chassis. Oh boy, oh boy, what a joy!

So smooth after the shrill sound of the M-05. A soft swooch as it slips through the corners. Very impressed with its performance right out of the box, still with silver can and the pinion included in the kit. It matched the lap count of the TA03F immediately and that had a Sport Tuned and non stock pinion. I build it with the long eyelets on the dampers instead of the short ones as I'm gonna run it mostly off road but it's maiden run was on "Autodromo Internazionale IMOLA" and it was impressive. This is one kit I would recommend to everyone looking for a treat.

• Like 5

managed to get out in the sun today , found it very tricky and not helped by my new 3d printed control sticks being too slippery , it's not great when you can't feel your hands and it's slipped off and you find out when it doesn't turn :lol: a lot of aborted runs but have a result for both  m05&6 but honestly not great :wacko: was great to be out in the sun and had a great time, and didn't hit anything after fixing the alpine paint work 

tamc.jpg

• Like 6

On 10/16/2022 at 1:15 PM, Tamiyastef said:

@RC_FunLand you won't regret joining in, so much fun! I had another go late this afternoon. Usual suspects...

20221016_172706.jpg and 20221016_174307.jpg or...

First one is indeed my M-05 based racing PickUp but the Citroën C3 Rally was based upon a TA03F chassis but now sits on top off 

20221016_174321.jpg an XV-01 chassis. Oh boy, oh boy, what a joy!

So smooth after the shrill sound of the M-05. A soft swooch as it slips through the corners. Very impressed with its performance right out of the box, still with silver can and the pinion included in the kit. It matched the lap count of the TA03F immediately and that had a Sport Tuned and non stock pinion. I build it with the long eyelets on the dampers instead of the short ones as I'm gonna run it mostly off road but it's maiden run was on "Autodromo Internazionale IMOLA" and it was impressive. This is one kit I would recommend to everyone looking for a treat.

Congratulations on the XV 👌

I haven't entered the postal racing in a while as my RC activity is still too unpredictable with 2 babies in the house 😅 but I did setup a track close enough to this Imola layout last week and ran my TT-02 rally car that I had with me that day. I was stunned at how much grip the rally block (the hard kit ones at that) gave me on a basketball court. I am running foam inserts inside. I hate to say it but it seemed to beat my much more expensive and harder to find super grip radials flat out!

48 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Congratulations on the XV 👌

I haven't entered the postal racing in a while as my RC activity is still too unpredictable with 2 babies in the house 😅 but I did setup a track close enough to this Imola layout last week and ran my TT-02 rally car that I had with me that day. I was stunned at how much grip the rally block (the hard kit ones at that) gave me on a basketball court. I am running foam inserts inside. I hate to say it but it seemed to beat my much more expensive and harder to find super grip radials flat out!

I cant' recommend the XV-01 enough really. 

My once babies are now 25 and 22 years "old" so now I have some more time to myself :D but I remember very well how much time babies/kids take. Well worth it IMO.

I was also well impressed with the rally block tires on tarmac. I ran them before off road and they performed there also very well. I presume they were intended (and designed/made very well) for Rallycross style racing where the circuit is partly tarmac and partly dirt track.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tamiyastef said:

I cant' recommend the XV-01 enough really. 

My once babies are now 25 and 22 years "old" so now I have some more time to myself :D but I remember very well how much time babies/kids take. Well worth it IMO.

I was also well impressed with the rally block tires on tarmac. I ran them before off road and they performed there also very well. I presume they were intended (and designed/made very well) for Rallycross style racing where the circuit is partly tarmac and partly dirt track.

Do you run foam inserts inside? And do you know if you have the soft or hard ones? I have yet to read something negative about the XV-01!

20 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Do you run foam inserts inside? And do you know if you have the soft or hard ones? I have yet to read something negative about the XV-01!

I run this combo 20221018_213207.jpg but no idea if this are the hard or soft ones.

• Like 1

The TD made it's first trip to Imola yesterday on NIHM. Allthough it was pretty fast it was not convincing. I put the stick pack LIPO into it today and that was a revelation. Now the TZ and drivetrain is screaming and sound like a R34 Skyline in GT2 B). It has rained an awful lot the last week, so the once superdry and dusty gravel is now become semicompackt and damp. That gives good grip once the loose stones on top are cleared away. 

The TD feels crisp and the accelleration out of corners is superb. Makes me think about how good an Optima Mid must be... There is potential for more. 

The Tomahawk worked really good on this surface. There is so much fun hitting the apex in drift with the inner front wheel round after round when you get in the zone and find a good flow. It was one lap ahead of the TD in both stints.

All in all a good experience today with the spaceship and the proper buggy. Messaging1666196720063.thumb.jpg.213dafc84a3aff6379c7b750556df0d9.jpg

Messaging1666196729991.jpg

• Like 5

There is certainly something to be said for concentrating one one or two cars rather than trying to set respectable results with as many as possible. I feel like I have really got to grips with my TB-03 on this track, as well as my TT-02 Type S which is basically the same car in every way that matters. Here's hoping that at least one of them will make it onto the podium! 😀

• Like 4

:( No postal racing for me tomorrow. But I get a family outing instead :) Maybe I can sneek another attempt in at one evening at the beginning of next week, otherwise I'll post up my results of the last time.

• Like 3

Great to see lots of fun being had here 😎. Life’s been getting in the way lately but hope to get out on the track again sometime soon 👍🏻

• Like 4

I finally got to set up the track today! With the help of the trusty blower it was possible to do so, even with all the leaves 🍁🍂🍁🍂🍁🍂

20221022-165629.jpg

Once the track was done, I started off with one of the usual suspects. There was every possible shade of orange in this golden hour, including the fluorescent ones from the Scorchy 20221022-192653.jpg

I did two attempts with the buggy. Quite a fast track! I found my flow getting a bit "bottlenecked" around marks 5 and 6, but besides that it feels like a relatively speedy course.

After the second attempt with the TS, it was time for a new entry... Lo and behold, the almighty Deltona 😎 yeah it was time already, enough with the worries of going rubber side up! I had heaps of fun running it, totally worth the risk of a tumble. I was a bit tense at first of course but again, the car really does not traction roll, even on my cracked bumpy tarmac patch, so I relaxed and just enjoyed driving it.

Being used to my buggies, it sure is a nice change to see a scale vehicle running around on the track (well, come to think of it, my Big Boss is technically scale too, since there is a 1:1 size version, but that doesn't always come to mind when I run it 😅).

I had two runs with the Lancia too, and the second one was already quite an improvement on the first. As of now, she's only 5 laps behind the TS count. Quite impressive, as the TS is a seasoned postal racer whose driving characteristics I know very well by now, whereas the Lancia is a newbie in every way, bare-boned TT-02 chassis with only CVAs and bearings to elevate it from box specs, and today was also the first time that I drove it in anger (not even 100% in, as part of me was still holding back a little).

So it will be exciting for me to see how far I can go with this chassis! What's for sure is that it's tons of fun to drive, and dunno why but it's a bit endearing to see it running :rolleyes:

Screenshot-20221022-192938-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20221022-192950-Video-Player.

Screenshot-20221022-193146-Video-Player.

Good to get some action, I was expecting these guys to start giving me the evil eye from the shelf 😉20221022-183013.jpg

Definitely not the usual companion for the Scorcher this time20221022-192631.jpg

I plan on running more tomorrow, with the Manta Ray and maybe even the Big Boss possibly joining in.

• Like 7

The Lancia looks the business out it’s natural habitat @Ferruz 👍🏻
The autumn (fall) colours of Canada are truly spectacular too, probably won’t be long before it’s all covered in snow I expect. Then you will need one of those Kyosho Blizzard things with tracks for Racing by Post, or at least clear the circuit with the plough on it 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Ferruz Lancia is looking great on its own but even better on the move :D

As my daughter had a fever waking up this mornig no family trip for me today :( but I get another go at mini Imola instead :lol: (at least I hope there's some time and daylight left after household tasks...)

• Like 2

Had another go today with my M05 and XV01. With a guest role for my CMX for the first time with it's Defender 90 body.

20221023_174009.jpg 

With the XV01 a massive improvement was made, the M05 couldn't match, even on 3S (same lapcount as on 2S) it improved compared to its previous attempt but still 1 lap short of the XV01...

Drained the 3S battery further to storing voltage in the CMX with some urban crawling. Note that the body is still a work in progress as it still needs window trim, light decals, a driver and/or interior...

20221023_183318.jpg20221023_183322.jpg20221023_183344.jpg

20221023_183404.jpg20221023_183301.jpg20221023_183419.jpg

• Like 4

Can't postal race here in PA! Annoying rain is preventing me from having at it!!!

Can't wait to gun around my TT-02 Type-S- it meant for this kinda thing!!!

Also, I have a sensored motor, so more control. :)

• Sad 1

Made the first attempt since Friday today in superb conditions. The surface is damp, compact and in the ideal-line are the small stones gone. The Thunder Dragon made two stints on par with the best directly, but with some mistakes,so potential for more. I was modest with the throtle today, so I tried a third stint. I got a near clean run. I was going too early and/or hard on the throtle three times,so got too much on power drift, but stayed within the line. I then found an extra lap, so now is the Thunder Dragon only 2 laps behind the Golf (it has to be said that the Golf got only three stints and that will be all). 

It is no problem to see where the track is now. 

Messaging1666793535408.jpg

Messaging1666793528622.jpg

• Like 6

Had another go yesterday, and this time the Manta Ray joined the party as well.

The Lancia Delta did improve a couple laps, and was real fun for me to drive and watch (I'm still not much used to anything other than buggies). There's definitely potential for more improvement, but that would have to be elsewhere, on a patch of newer tarmac: mine is too bumpy and cracked for me to feel comfortable going all out with throttle and brakes, as I'm still too scared of a possible traction roll 😅

Note to self: even a silver can can get blistering hot when operating under a plastic blanket (that being, my scruffy home-brewed chassis cover, hard on the eye but works a treat). After two attempts I could feel the heat of the motor from under the chassis :ph34r: forunately no damage, and during snow running it won't be an issue as it will be cold.

20221023-164249.jpg

After that it was the turn of the Manta Ray. Unfortunately, the servo started acting up right away :unsure: it would stutter before turning right, and the response was slow altogether. Will have to look into it, and maybe get a new one. I still somehow managed a decent lap count, by going feather light on the throttle and trying to anticipate the turns. More challenging than fun, but still!

The last one in was the Terra Scorcher, which also managed one extra lap compared to her personal best from the previous day. Not too bad for running on baldies and on a patched up front knuckle, anyway the replacements for both parts should be here soon.

Happy that the Delta came back completely unharmed

20221026-190901.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/27/2022 at 12:36 AM, Ferruz said:

during snow running it won't be an issue as it will be cold.

That is what I used to think too - until I overheated my rally car when diving in the snow. The extra resistance of pushing through the stuff more than offset the cooling effect.

Only time it has ever happened too! That car had been driven previously in the deserts of sub-Saharan Africa with no thermal issues, yet managed to overheat in good old British snow! 🤪

• Like 1