TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

11 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

That is what I used to think too - until I overheated my rally car when diving in the snow. The extra resistance of pushing through the stuff more than offset the cooling effect.

Only time it has ever happened too! That car had been driven previously in the deserts of sub-Saharan Africa with no thermal issues, yet managed to overheat in good old British snow! 🤪

Agreed! I would have thought last winter was the least likely time for me to burn up a servo on a trail walk, but it happened all the same :lol:

19 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

That is what I used to think too - until I overheated my rally car when diving in the snow. The extra resistance of pushing through the stuff more than offset the cooling effect.

Only time it has ever happened too! That car had been driven previously in the deserts of sub-Saharan Africa with no thermal issues, yet managed to overheat in good old British snow! 🤪

Good point, but still I'm not concerned: I'll be running on icy/snowy surfaces at -15/ -25°C, it gets pretty cold around here so I should be fine as long as I'm not constantly plowing through fresh snow :) it will be more about not crashing the body, I should really get a running shell but it's just so nice to see this moving.

Lucky me, the replacement parts for the TS (front aluminum knuckles + new wheel/tire set) arrived just in time for one last Imola run, and the weather was perfect too so what more could I ask?!

...and still, surprisingly, the first attempt with the new kicks yelded 3 laps less than the car's personal best :wacko: might be because I was a bit rusty and had to get the flow back from last weeked, may be because I didn't slide the car at all in order to keep the thread and this resulted in being throttle shy 😅 I don't know...

In any case, ten minutes later I was back on the track with the old tires, and I kept going for a few more attempts until I ran out of batteries. At some point, a shy and quite confused Hornet was thrown into the track for one single go while the TS was taling a break. The last try with the Scorcher finally saw the car chewing into that extra lap I was looking for, and that's it for this one.

Time to submit the results now. I think this has been a fun one, good luck everybody 🍁🎃🏆🏁

• Like 1

Position Username Lap count Car Motor Battery Running surface Surface modifiers (Optional) Best lap
1 TurnipJF 48 TB-03 race blob 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.  
2 TurnipJF 48 TT-02 Type S race blob 13.5t Bluebottle 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.  
3 Ferruz 46 Terra Scorcher 2020 17.5t Flash Racing A Series 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Tarmac was bumpy and cracked  
4 Tamiyastef 43 XV-01 Citroën 540 silver can 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.  
5 Ferruz 43 DF-01 Manta Ray 13.5t Bluebottle 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Tarmac was bumpy and cracked  
6 Tamiyastef 42 M05 Pick-up 540 silver can 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.  
7 Ferruz 41 TT-02 Lancia Delta Integrale Silver Can 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Tarmac was bumpy and cracked  
8 MontyMole 39 XV-01 Lancia Delta 13.5T Hobbywing XeRun 7.2V NiMH Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 6.76
9 Ferruz 37 Hornet Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Tarmac was bumpy and cracked  
10 Tamiyastef 36 TA03F Sport tuned 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.  
11 Andreas W 34 M-05 Golf MK1 TT 25t 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.  
12 Andreas W 32 Thunder Dragon SS TZ 23t 2S LiPo Gravel It was damp.  
13 nicksincrc 31 alpine A110 27t sc 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.  
14 Andreas W 31 Tomahawk YR Hackmoto 23t 2S LiPo Gravel It was damp.  
15 nicksincrc 30 M05 Suzuki S Swift 27t sc 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.  
16 Tamiyastef 29 MST-CMX Axial 55T crawler motor 3S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.  
17 Andreas W 29 Grasshornet ST 23t 7.2V NiMH Astro It was wet.  
  • Like 3

That was fun! The TB-03 and TT-02 Type S both managed the same number of laps in the end, which is pretty much what I expected since I tried to set them up to be as close to identical as possible.

The TB-03 was still ever so slightly quicker though. It managed 48 laps consistently and narrowly missed making it to 49, while the TT-02 Type S was stuck on 47 laps for several attempts before a particularly clean run managed to squeeze in the 48th.

I put it down to tyres. Both cars were running the same rim, tyre and insert spec, but the set on the TB-03 were a bit fresher since I have used the TT-02 Type S for more postal race attempts in the past. 

• Like 2

Wow! Really chuffed with my 4th place overall but even more with my two first places 😁

One in the silver can category and one in the 3S league 🤣

I don't know what just made this one different but I enjoyed it very much.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

Congrats, TurnipJF. That was a respectable lapcount. Ferruz is right behind. Both of you have numbers out of this world :D.

Looking forward to the next round. It's gonna bee loose surface for me the next months, but I am getting a better feeling with the Thunder Dragon for each run:).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Grastens I don't suppose you would mind doing us the honour of designing a track for the next round?

• Like 2

I present:

OCnYNQW.jpg

I apologize that this layout is below the standard I usually set; there is a serious illness in the family, and I spent the last few days sorting things out related to it. There should still be enough time for a few good runs at it, hopefully!

Taking inspiration from the famous Suzuka Circuit, "Mie Prefecture RC Raceway" is to it what Mie Prefecture is to Suzuka: the same general idea, but different! Corner entries and exits play key roles in good lap counts (but where don't they? :P).

Pending @TurnipJF's approval, we will be going somewhere in Japan! Good luck, racers :D

• Thanks 4

Thanks a lot for your effort during challenging days. It is much appreciated. That said this is not a contract which has to be fullfilled. If things are way above your head and your attention is much needed elsewhere, it is perfectly legal to withdraw and concentrate on what is really important. You gotta remember we are the nicest community out there ;).

I wish all the best for you and your family:).

Now I know what to do after workB).

• Like 2

@Grastens Given the ccircumstances many many thanks for getting us yet another interesting challenge.

Remember you have no obligation to us whatsoever and keep strong, keep faith and me and my family wish you and your family all the best.

• Like 2

Thanks @Grastens - that looks great! Sorry to read of your difficulties,  hope they are resolved soon. 

OCnYNQW.jpg

So let Round 29 begin!

Rules and results submission as per first post in the thread, round ends at Midnight GMT on Sunday 4 December (edited, giving us an extra week).

Hope everyone has fun!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Rules and results submission as per first post in the thread, round ends at Midnight GMT on Sunday 4 November (giving us an extra week.)

How everyone has fun!

How about December? :D

12 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

How about December? :D

Okay, fair point. For those without time machine access, entries will be accepted until Midnight GMT on Sunday 4 December. 😁

• Haha 5

That's wet, Tamiyastef. But it is fun for sure to pilot the XV around. I am doing soldering on mine, but probably get to try it this week. The challenge is to find a tarmac parkinglot without salt. 

I've tried this track 3 times now in mainly damp conditions. Inspired by those of you who use a blower I braught a rake with me, so I can clear off the small stones and loose stuff in the ideal line. That helped a lot,  so now the second stint mostly is better. 

Yesterday we got the first powdercoat of snow and now it's completely white outside, so now my markings of the track are gone. 

• Like 2

I had fun regardless of the rain. Just had to shelter under the tailgate door of the car to keep my transmitter somewhat dry. Noticed I have to get some fluo spray for my corner markers, this dark green is to dark apparently to see clearly in low light and wet conditions.

I don't really expect us to get snow here in Belgium.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2022 at 5:07 AM, TurnipJF said:

OCnYNQW.jpg

I mapped this out on the driveway this evening, before my fingers got cold - Oh joy, freezing weather!  Anyway, I noticed an error - Corner 6 is labelled as 2.5 up, but drawn as 1.5 up.  between 1 & 2 would be 1.5, not 2.5. Which should it be?  What have people been driving it as?

25 minutes ago, SlideWRX said:

I have been running it as drawn, 1.5 up.

Me too like TurnipJF. It's a cool and fast track, if you are on high grip surface. It would be nice to find a dry spot and test the M-05, but I do not know where that could be atm. 

I drove it as drawn with 6 at 1,5. You get a real turn from 5 to 7 around 6. With 6 at 2,5 that would be just a bend IMO. Also nice but less of a challenge 🙂