TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 45 takes us to Anderstorp!

It took me forever to clear out my usual racing patch. Removing a winter's worth of outdoors grime is a hard task for a humble leaf blower! 😅 it was all caked to the asphalt -or what's left of it- by snow and gravity, so there was a lot of this

20230514-171727.jpg

It took me long also to set up the course, had to do it twice to get it right, it's been a few months after all.

It felt good to go back to some technical-ish driving after a winter spent free running and bashing. Had a few attempts between yesterday and today, with two cars. After the first stint, I improved a couple laps with both cars but that was it. Every single run I did today yielded the exact same lap count, no matter what I did . There is lots of room for improvement anyway, and I noticed that my driving style changed a little depending on where I stood on the track. Gotta try and get that extra lap next time! Maybe tomorrow, most likely next weekend. I'll have to bring my fluorescent markers, this time i i didn't have them on me and had to do with different ones.

The track is fun, I got a good flow but never even got close to full throttle!

20230514-185326.jpg

• Like 5

@Ferruz- please add more beer and i believe the full throttle is right around the corner, not sure if you still could follow those cones but that`s another story

• Haha 3

Hey guys! First timer here, and im pretty interested in joining. I just got myself a TT02 and have an open parking lot across the street. Ive got some cheap "field" cones which are flat(ter) but not completely flat, but should work. I guess I was just wondering, with the track map/layout, do you each just do your best to replicate all the turns, corners, straights best you can? Or does it have to be super close to what the map is to be valid? Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmJayeX said:

Hey guys! First timer here, and im pretty interested in joining. I just got myself a TT02 and have an open parking lot across the street. Ive got some cheap "field" cones which are flat(ter) but not completely flat, but should work. I guess I was just wondering, with the track map/layout, do you each just do your best to replicate all the turns, corners, straights best you can? Or does it have to be super close to what the map is to be valid? Thanks in advance!

I cut a piece of wood to 1m and marked the half way mark on it. So I chalk metre marks along the x axis and head out with my stick for my y coordinates. That's not particularly accurate but it's quick and I reckon it'll do. 

Thinking about it, if I chalked another run of metre marks along the top I could be pretty accurate then, just eyeballing those as I go. 

Whatever you do, your cones will move, so I suggest a mark. Chalk is good. 

• Like 3

This looks fun. Seems I need to go back through the thread to learn more. Remote time attack, I dig it!  

• Like 3

Life is getting in the way but I now have what I believe is a suitable vehicle. Not too expensive, not too powerful, but relatively capable and tuneable. 

Yhs1gYD.jpeg

• Like 6

On 5/16/2023 at 3:37 PM, EmJayeX said:

I use a couple of tape measures to set up the course, one for X and one for Y.  lately I lay down the X tape across course, and slide the Y tape along to get the points/corners. I eyeball the squareness between the two tapes. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2023 at 6:34 AM, Ferruz said:

20230514-185326.jpg

OT: Ow wow. You have Bavaria over there :D.

@bavee not only do we have Bavaria here, but it tastes much better than it ever did when I was living in Europe! Must be some premium export stuff for sure, in fact the can is blueish and I reckon it used to be greenish on the other side of the pond!

I just grabbed another six pack to aid me with the postal racing this weekend (you know, much needed cones and stuff😉) so cheers 🍻

• Like 2

So, I went back to Historic Silverstone today and tried to push a little harder this time. This resulted in more challenge, more fun, a few tailspins and some improvement too, even though it started raining during the Scorchy's stints. 

The Manta Ray improved by one solid lap, it was actually just a couple turns short of another extra one. The Terra Scorcher also improved by one lap (only two or three turns in, but good enuff by the rules :rolleyes:) then it started raining more heavily so I wrapped everything up.

20230520-192333.jpg

Adding the usual fluorescent tape markers helped a lot, I can clearly see these from a distance and that makes a lot of difference.20230520-192401.jpg

On a Kyoshoer note, the postal kicks for the Mid are on their way. I don't know if they'll make it in time for this round, but by the next one.they'll sure be here. I'm excited to try them out, this time I went for a real on road pattern and I'm eager to compare its performance to the Terra and Manta's tires, which sport an all-weather type of block pattern.

Very enjoyable course, by the way 🏁

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Ferruz said:

@bavee not only do we have Bavaria here, but it tastes much better than it ever did when I was living in Europe! Must be some premium export stuff for sure, in fact the can is blueish and I reckon it used to be greenish on the other side of the pond!

I just grabbed another six pack to aid me with the postal racing this weekend (you know, much needed cones and stuff😉) so cheers 🍻

I think Bavaria has always been blue? The green can from The Netherlands must be Heineken. Or Grolsch.

Bavaria is relatively small in The Netherlands. So I am surprised they export to Canada. Proost!

1 hour ago, bavee said:

I think Bavaria has always been blue? The green can from The Netherlands must be Heineken. Or Grolsch.

Bavaria is relatively small in The Netherlands. So I am surprised they export to Canada. Proost!

I grew up in Italy and throughout my twenties, along with my friends, I did guzzle a lot of beer :ph34r: Bavaria, amongst orher brands, was alwas a big hit because of its great quality/price ratio, and I could have sworn the can was green! But probably I just had too much of it and remember it wrong now :lol:.. we have Grolsch and Heineken too and yes those are green here just as in Europe. Proost, and back to the track!

I made the last trip to old Silverstone yesterday. I ran 2 stints with the Lancia without a too convincing feel. I also made 5 stints with the Golf. I have not impoved since I made a superb lapcount two weeks ago. The only improvement is that I made it to the exit of Chapel yesterday at the 5 minmark. Until that I have not made it to Copse. So all in all half a round improvement.

The front tyres have worn down 2mm. Not bad will I say.

20230526_165319.jpg

• Like 6

Just came back from my last run at historic Silverstone. I too did not manage to improve from the results of two weeks ago, despite trying for both these last two weekends. The buggies ended up pretty close to each other, only one lap apart (technically half a lap, but it included the finish line).

Track took quite the toll on the Manta's fronties.20230528-174234.jpg

• Like 1

I managed a couple of runs at the park last night for the first time, but turning circle was a bit of an issue and track markers were more of a "serving suggestion". Funnily enough Avante with dual blocks on damp grass is a bit like m-08 on damp concrete flicking the tail out on command.

It's a really nice course so I'll try to contort it onto my driveway (which is long and skinny with a bulgy bit) to have one last shot with a car that doesn't need three points of turning at the Chapel!

• Like 1

I'd like to join in next round, the big question for me is "do I run something sensible? Or something silly?".

2 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

I'd like to join in next round, the big question for me is "do I run something sensible? Or something silly?".

All of the above! 

But for most tracks just whatever's got the tightest turning circle. 

Sadly I only got one session in on this track, back at the start of the month. 😢

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Track took quite the toll on the Manta's fronties.20230528-174234.jpg

I never realised the degree of turning of the inner circle wheel was so significantly bigger than from the outer circle wheel. Or is the steering rod loose here or has the angle of this picture some weird effect? Probably just me 😁

4 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

I know you have got a nice M-05 NSU TTS. I would try that. 

If anybody has not yet submitted lap counts for runs completed prior to the midnight cutoff, could they please do so as soon as possible as I will be collating and posting the results later this afternoon. Thanks!🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BuggyDad said:

All of the above! 

But for most tracks just whatever's got the tightest turning circle. 

That'd be my Frog then, especially since the back end breaks loose easily.

4 hours ago, Andreas W said:

I know you have got a nice M-05 NSU TTS. I would try that. 

Thanks, I still have the shell and wheels but no longer the chassis. They're both waiting for whatever hopped up variant of the MB-01 is released.

8 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

I never realised the degree of turning of the inner circle wheel was so significantly bigger than from the outer circle wheel. Or is the steering rod loose here or has the angle of this picture some weird effect? Probably just me 😁

It's not you... it's called massive toe out, and that dramatic view is the result 😅 I blame it on our tracks with their extra tight turns... but sure by now the Manta can basically turn on itself like a little snake 🐉🐍

Speaking of steering, I think a couple of high torque servo savers will be very much needed for both my Manta and TS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

If anybody has not yet submitted lap counts for runs completed prior to the midnight cutoff, could they please do so as soon as possible as I will be collating and posting the results later this afternoon. Thanks!🙂

Thanks for reminder! And for organising this great thing. 

Only ran my M-08 this time. The car was running really well actually, but I didn't get a chance to improve on my lap counts with practice. Well, I could've had another session TBH but having had it on my mind so long I spent the time creating my FrankenFalcon...

Position Username Lap count Car Motor Battery Running surface Surface modifiers (Optional) Running weight (Optional) Best lap
1 TurnipJF 47 TB-03 Arta Garaiya 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
2 Andreas W 46 M-05 Golf MK1 TT 25t 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
3 Ferruz 44 Terra Scorcher 2020 17.5t Flash Racing A Series 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Cracked and bumpy old tarmac, slight incline    
4 Ferruz 43 DF01 Manta Ray 13.5t Bluebottle 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Cracked and bumpy old tarmac, slight incline    
5 BuggyDad 43 M-08R Ferrari Dino 17.5T Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
6 MontyMole 41 XV-01 Lancia Delta Integrale 13.5T HobbyWing Justock 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.   6.46
7 Andreas W 39 XV-01 Lancia Delta HF Integrale YR Hackmoto 23t 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
8 TurnipJF 35 M-04 Karmann Ghia 27t Silver Can 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.