TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

I never submitted an entry because we only did one run each. I managed 27 laps with my Top Force with a silvercan on2S lipo. Jamie did 20 laps with the same. Some of those entries are amazing! Well done everyone

• Like 3

Well done and congratulations @Carmine A, no idea how you can see the car at that speed let alone control it LOL :)

I am going to concentrate on practising with my Avante2001 for the next round, I am pretty comfortable with the thundershot but just can't seem to get to grips with the Avante2001, would help if it managed to last more than 5 mins before falling apart of course..... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow - some seriously impressive results this time. Having made a half hearted attempt, I know how difficult this track could potentially be. Well done @Carmine A for leading the way. That is most impressive. It seems your previous experience all those years ago is now re-emerging!

Well done to everyone else who took part too 👏👏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congrats everybody! Great driving @Carmine A, impressive results!

That was real fun. Can't wait for the next challenge, I'm going to try harder!

Or... at least that's what I thought before going out this morning. Look at the conditions of my playground... 20201026-092801.jpg

I guess I know what "Track surface" is going to be for me for next round 🙄🌨❄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Carmine A said:

@DayRider and I didn't do so well in the last one - but did great on this one... 

It should be obvious, but I think we're all going to find one Track configuration more suited to our skill and style than others. 

I've discovered something about myself. I did bluddy awful on the last run, because of my reaction times - which have always been fast... Custom made for this short, twisty Course. 

However on the last run, with the REALLY long straights, I kept overreacting! My Mind wanted that Turn, and kept constantly reacting BEFORE the Turns! Really killed my overall performance.

.... I did however have a whole lot more grip and control than I had anytime before. It's at least proof that my silly tricks actually WORKED! 😉

Check you out, the choose is yours sunshine :D well done. fun through I was going to use myTT02 but I popped the motor out and used in in the M06 and It seemed like it went well.

Edited by DayRider
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, DayRider said:

Check you out, the choose is yours sunshine :D well done. fun through I was going to use myTT02 but I popped the motor out and used in in the M06 and It seemed like it went well.

From what I remember about my M06... It was nothing more than a Donut Machine! 😲  So you getting enough grip in the Rear is amazing!! 🍻👏👏👏👏👏👏 

"The choose is mine" means that I design the next Stage?? 😧 I'm not good at this, but here goes... spacer.png

Given that I'm Bluudy AWFUL at drawing with my fingers on a phone... I kept it basic.

Think of it as like Round 2, in half the space. This won't give me an unfair advantage (now knowing that ultra tight Courses are my thing). 😉  This should be just small enough to fit on an average Driveway (since SNOW is coming for the rest of you, you can control the surface of your own Drive)  It's simple, and also gives the faster Cars some room to Run! 

Although it IS CRAP drawing... I intended the ends to look like that. It's a flattened Figger of Eight. At the Corner Marker, you turn SHARPLY, then go STRAIGHT to the next Corner Marker, then another tight turn to the other end after a 10m straight. 

It's a Challenge of Speed in the middle, Braking before the Corners, and Grip around the tight turns.

What do you Guys think?? 😊 

I'm going to say that @TurnipJF should continue the tally and the Chart, simply because I don't have the means...

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Silver-Can said:

... Well done @Carmine A for leading the way. That is most impressive. It seems your previous experience all those years ago is now re-emerging!

Well done to everyone else who took part too 👏👏

Thank ALL of you so much!!! That was about 80% LUCK - that the Korean Knockoff Tyres on that Car actually had grip like Pro Tyres, and our Parking Lot was JUST resurfaced. 😁  FRESH, smooth, Grippy Tarmac!! 

Well Done all - I noticed improvements across the board. 👍👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Carmine A said:

"The choose is mine" means that I design the next Stage?? 😧 I'm not good at this, but here goes... 

What do you Guys think?? 😊 

another figure 8? :lol:, you can;t really stop people taking the end pairs of cones in a wide sweeping arc to retain speed unless you put an extra cone at each end 1m out from your pairs, in the centre of the pair and mandate that this be taken on the inside not the outside, thus forcing cars to do the tight turns?

track_plan3.thumb.jpg.1dbd66a2f6fb9105d9ca0286dbd86a4f.jpg

Not sure if the rule was that the winner picked the next round track, must have missed that one?

I'm fine with whatever is decided to be honest although would prefer a less torturous design for round 4 compared with round 3

Maybe one with long straights so I can get a clear lead over my daughters slower cars...... :D

I was thinking about the track design, maybe not for this round but a future one and came up with this 15m x 3m design, this requires 7 cones so a little bit trickier to setup but gives a nice long straight plus a slalom on the way back with different offsets to the cones to make you think about turn in points. 

track_plan.jpg

• Like 4

and for a distant round when we have all built up our skills a bit (well except for Turnip and Carmine), the same cone layout but with an evil reverse hairpin/slalom...... :)

track_plan2.jpg

• Like 3

Apologies @TurnipJF didn't mean to infringe on your track design plans! 

EDIT: Although judging from the antics of our numpty politicians we could be in lockdown for another six months so you may need a few layouts up your sleeve :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mud4fun said:

another figure 8? :lol:, you can;t really stop people taking the end pairs of cones in a wide sweeping arc to retain speed unless you put an extra cone at each end 1m out from your pairs, in the centre of the pair and mandate that this be taken on the inside not the outside, thus forcing cars to do the tight turns?

track_plan3.thumb.jpg.1dbd66a2f6fb9105d9ca0286dbd86a4f.jpg

Not sure if the rule was that the winner picked the next round track, must have missed that one?

I'm FINE with that revision. Better keeps the spirit of what I had in mind, but didn't have the tools to really illustrate... 

This Thread has become so LONG with conversations, that page 1 seems like ages ago!! 😜 I do really appreciate the camaraderie that's built up. 

I'm pretty sure that was the rule, if not, I'm happy to do it another way. I liked the second Stage - except for the length. Instinctively, I'd end up BARRELING down the long straights, SLIDING into the Corners. 😲  But I only had my M05 to work with then.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mud4fun said:

and for a distant round when we have all built up our skills a bit (well except for Turnip and Carmine), the same cone layout but with an evil reverse hairpin/slalom...... :)

track_plan2.jpg

Gotta admit... I LIKE this one!! 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

I liked the second Stage - except for the length. Instinctively, I'd end up BARRELING down the long straights, SLIDING into the Corners. 😲  But I only had my M05 to work with then.

My Avante2001 preferred round 2 whereas the Thundershot preferred round 3, not just different tracks suit different drivers, they suit different cars too :) 

• Like 1

Regarding the winner choosing the track design - how about this?

During each round, we can all suggest track layouts for the round to follow. Whoever wins the round can choose from the suggestions, which may or may not include their own design. That way everyone can have a go at track design, and winning doesn't mean you have to design a track if you don't want to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Carmine A there you go, your track design with dimensions added (in addition to the 'restrictor end cones')

track_plan3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@TurnipJF I like that plan. Frankly I like the revision of my plan that @mud4fun drew. Frankly, mine was terrible, because I've only got my phone. His shows exactly what I WANTED mine to be! 😉 

We do need to keep his third plan in mind. It's definitely advanced, and requires grip and reaction. I just felt one more simple Stage was prudent....

Everybody's scores are going up! They'll be ready for that Gymkhana soon!! 😊

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Regarding the winner choosing the track design - how about this?

During each round, we can all suggest track layouts for the round to follow. Whoever wins the round can choose from the suggestions, which may or may not include their own design. That way everyone can have a go at track design, and winning doesn't mean you have to design a track if you don't want to.

That is a great idea! :D 

Not that I'm ever likely to win with a buggy though, unless I get myself a miniature warp engine..... 

I am toying with the idea of buying myself a Schumacher Cougar laydown for xmas, that should on paper be a darned sight quicker than my thundershot on tarmac*. I was tempted by the Evo L1 but do I really need any more 4WD buggies? I've not driven a 2WD buggy in anger for 35 years and thought it could be fun to have a change. The kids are asking for 2WD buggies for xmas too so it would make sense for me to also have one, to see what they will go through transitioning to rear wheel drive. They have only ever driven 4WD, they've been spoilt :)

EDIT: *although the same could be said of my Avante2001 and look how that worked out.....

• Like 2

Been watching this thread with excitement, looking forward to the next track. I've been a backyard basher my whole RC life and I've never tried driving a course for speed before, but I'm gonna make up some markers and kick the tires on some of these previous tracks. My goal is to finish 5 minutes on a single battery (I'll work on lap counts later). Does anyone use NiCds and MSCs anymore? :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Gecko said:

Been watching this thread with excitement, looking forward to the next track. I've been a backyard basher my whole RC life and I've never tried driving a course for speed before, but I'm gonna make up some markers and kick the tires on some of these previous tracks. My goal is to finish 5 minutes on a single battery (I'll work on lap counts later). Does anyone use NiCds and MSCs anymore? :lol:

Yup, I ran an 8.4v NiCd in my thundershot for rounds 1 & 2 and my daughter's are still on a mix of NiCd and NiMh.  All ours are 2000mah packs and give between 8  - 15 mins run time in race conditions. We tend to run smaller pinions to maximise run times, especially on tight tracks where high top speeds are irrelevant. :) (we also use ESC's which will give longer run times too)

I've now switched to LiPo on my buggies, much lighter weight and much better run times but the kids are still on the old packs and still achieved good lap times. 

Look forward to seeing you in next round! :)

Edit: Just noticed, my youngest daughters thundershot was only 0.5 seconds slower than turnips best lap in his thundershot, despite using on old NiMh pack and a silver can..... Eek!

20 hours ago, mud4fun said:

@Carmine A there you go, your track design with dimensions added (in addition to the 'restrictor end cones')

track_plan3.jpg

Right, so it is official then. The Round 4 track is up, let's get racing!

Results to me via p.m. as usual please. Round 4 ends at midnight GMT on Sunday 8th November.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

My poor little LapMonitor may actually finally have a safe place on this track where errant buggies (naming no names) won't be running close enough to run it over.... :D

• Haha 2

Cool, Happy racing all, and @Carmine A if you wouldn’t mind using a Dancing Rider with only 2 wheels on it this time to give us half a chance that would be great please 👍🏻😉

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Cool, Happy racing all, and @Carmine A if you wouldn’t mind using a Dancing Rider with only 2 wheels on it this time to us half a chance that would be great please 👍🏻😉

I got around this problem by splitting the table up into vehicle class/surface before relaying results to the mudlets. It looks a lot better, especially as I ordered the results with buggies first..... :D

EDIT: Curiously you won your class on my table!!! You beat me by one lap on the buggy - grass(W) class :ph34r:

does this make you feel any better Re-Bugged? ;)

table ordered by vehicle type/surface - the surfaces were simplifed in order to get a decent table eg. old drive with leaves on or dirty tennis court became tarmac/concrete. Not a truly fair comparison but it sort of works. Too many different vehicle types and surfaces to truly map on a table without ending up with every person winning their own class! LOL In order to get some idea of whether our driving skills are improving or not I've plotted all the rounds into class based tables like this.

image.thumb.png.4c98dbea612eede179ad968b6f80b0b6.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

EDIT: Curiously you won your class on my table!!! You beat me by one lap on the buggy - grass(W) class :ph34r:

Sorry about that 😆, and I thought I’d given you a chance by racing blindfolded and having one arm tied behind my back while being eaten alive by mosquitoes.

I like tactical statistics. If you were to do a leaderboard on colour of vehicles, then I think I would probably have the fastest car in the Orange category and therefore be an outright winner in that class.

It’s just the power of Kyosho you know 😉

• Haha 2

yeah sorry @Re-Bugged, had to do the table because the mudlets got a little depressed when seeing Carmine getting double the number of laps they did despite their hours of practise. I tried to explain that they are in different class and a buggy will never beat a touring or F1 car on tarmac, in the end I found it easier to illustrate with a class based table. I think I got the message across..... I didn't want them put off from entering because they thought they had no chance of ever winning.

I personally like the table as Turnip produces it. I have no issues with all cars being recorded in one table. However the mudlets are still young and over-sensitive to things.

EDIT:I don't think we need to get to the stage of having a class for 'fluorescent yellow egress shell with black writing and lime green stripes'  :D

EDIT2: There is a case for setting the bar high so they aim and achieve higher but if you set the bar too high they can easily lose interest. I want to encourage them to take part and improve their skills so it is a balancing act. So in this case they need to aim to beat Turnips 35 laps NOT Carmines 64!

• Like 3