TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 43 track is up. Off to Magny-Cours we go!

4 minutes ago, Andreas W said:

None of them. The prize was good,  so it's gonna be a bread and butter 13,5t Justock G2. I have mixed feelings about tearing it apart now it is working so good,  but this would probably just last until the next time the brushes are worn out and the motor needs a rebuild. So brushless is the way forward for the postal racing on the daily basis for me. 

Interesting, let us know how 13.5t goes and how you gear it for postal then... That is if you wish to share your speed secrets :D

19 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

Interesting, let us know how 13.5t goes and how you gear it for postal then... That is if you wish to share your speed secrets :D

Will do. Nothing is secret here :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I finally marked this month's course and had a few runs with the mf-01x. I'll probably end up in last place again but,this is fun for me.

20231118_110518.jpg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Eric_N said:

I'll probably end up in last place again

I can help you avoid that.

• Haha 4

Today I finally managed to participate! It was supposed to snow but it didn't (or let's say, not as much) and the temp was above zero, so I just had to do it... From now on it'll be snow and ice for months, so this was going to be my last possible attempt at a decent lap count.

It's been so long, I reckon last time I raced was last June, and in fact I felt very rusty 😅 took me almost half a battery pack just to practice the track, before I could feel confident enough to give it a real try.

My usual cracked tarmac patch was wet and covered in leaves/dirt/gravel, but an hour work with the trusty leaf blower turned the situation around. By the time the track was laid out, the tarmac was as clean as it could get and just, say, very moist, so not downright wet anymore. This made for acceptable racing conditions.

My Terra Scorcher was the weapon of choice, as usual. The Manta has been on the bench since last June awaiting for some TLC, and the Mid is currently in offroad mode.

If on one hand the Scorchy suffered a bit from the balding front tires (again!), on the other hand I enjoyed a nice sharp steering thanks to the newly mounted high torque servo saver (in place of the destroyed stock one), so I'm happy with how it drove. Not as happy with my own driving performance but it's ok, it's been a while so I'll cut myself some slack 😁 

20231119-165128.jpg

I did five attempts in total. Got them all in today, as it's supposed to snow heavily any minute now. The first one got me acquainted with the track, and set the lap count to beat. The second saw me finding a very good flow, but it was ruined by the battery dying on me towards the end of the stint. During the third and fourth attempt I concentrated on different takes on the track: what is more effective, fast and sweeping (hence drifting around and covering more surface) or slower and more precise, trying to stick to the markers (hence covering less distance)? 

Once again i seems that the second option is better in terms of results, as it's almost always the case unless it's offroad rallying... Less dramatic and maybe boring to behold, but it works best.

The last attempt was the one that yielded the best lap count, though I feel it won't be very competitive. 

During the runs, the weather ranged from light snowfall to sunshine back to light snowfall, very windy all the time (my faced caked in tears while trying to keep my eyes peeled, lol) and cold enough to keep the car cool without being unbearable for my fingers.

All in all, a good Postal Racing afternoon, I had a lot of fun as always and really enjoyed this track. Feels good to be back on the starting grid! 🏁

20231119-144226.jpg

• Like 9

On 11/18/2023 at 12:24 PM, Eric_N said:

I'll probably end up in last place again but,this is fun for me.

Considering that I ran a 260-powered WPL in this event, you could have some competition for last place.

7 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

I concentrated on different takes on the track: what is more effective, fast and sweeping (hence drifting around and covering more surface) or slower and more precise, trying to stick to the markers (hence covering less distance)? 

It's always nice to see a vintage/re-re participating in one of these events. I usually have better luck with the "fast and sweeping" method, but it varies on car and track.

I made another trip to Ring Djursland yesterday. The surface was covered in snow,  so no expectations other than having fun and try to go as consistent as possible. Inspired by Tamiyastef I brought the Terra Scorcher. For carefree fun I also took the Grasshornet with me as well as the Nikko Dictator. The latter was a disaster the last time I tried it. Super slow servo and turn radius like a tank ship. This time I sadly forgot the deans-Tamiya adapter,  so no running for it.

The Grasshornet was sliding nicely around the track. On the best stint I only spun 3 times. It's always striking how much fun you can have with such a basic buggy. 

The Terra Scorcher was ripping compared with the Grasshornet. The first stint was the best. After that the surface got more and more polished. I loved the combination of speed and slidability on the first stint. The other stints were just chaos - going over my phone and feet. On the last stint I thought I was making a serious lapcount.  Only to realise that the phone had stopped the countdown with 1 min to go after I have driven over it like 6 times. My Thunder Dragon would have been better though. It has AW grease in the diffs and is far easier to control while sliding. It also has a better servo and a HT servo saver. But well. This was just for fun and it was Terra Scorcher which got mentioned the other day , so Terra it is.

If it's not just ice today I will give the Dictator a chance. I have put the adapter in the car now. 

20231121_163241.jpg

• Like 7

I was thinking about making all my entries pan-style cars this round, but with all this talk of Terra Scorchers and Thunder Dragons, I think I'll be entering my Thundershot too.

Might as well squeeze the last bit of life out of the front tyres! 😁

2023-11-22_08-24-51

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

The Dictator made two stints today. It was only wet and since the curves were so open it was well suited. It made two more laps than the Terra Scorcher made yesterday. That is only because of better conditions today and it says alot about how good the Terra is, despite super basic servo, sloppy kit servo saver, kit tyres and peep open diffs. It was good fun and nice to see the Dictator going so well around the track. Sometimes it is a nice thing to experience where you come from. This car was for many years my referance. 

20231122_161326.jpg

20231122_180458.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Andreas W said:

The Dictator made two stints today. It was only wet and since the curves were so open it was well suited. It made two more laps than the Terra Scorcher made yesterday. That is only because of better conditions today and it says alot about how good the Terra is, despite super basic servo, sloppy kit servo saver, kit tyres and peep open diffs. It was good fun and nice to see the Dictator going so well around the track. Sometimes it is a nice thing to experience where you come from. This car was for many years my referance. 

20231122_161326.jpg

20231122_180458.jpg

Oh wow! I had a 7 way back when. One could probably a monster beetle for half the price at the time (without the RC system and battery of course) but I really didn't know any better and my buddy had a Nikko as well so I went that route 🙂

Incredible that you are still running it!

• Like 3

Unfortunately not going to get any attempts in for this round. I did however consider using a Cherry Picker in the back yard before the concrete guys turn up though 🤔

IMG_6072.md.jpeg

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

before the concrete guys turn up

So concrete backyard track then? ;)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pylon80 said:

So concrete backyard track then? ;)

Sadly not, but a Crawler might make along there 🤔

Maybe I should have got the XV-02 Pro instead of the XV-02 RS after all and made a nice Rally circuit where Cherry Picker is.
I don’t think Mrs RB would be to impressed though as we’ve got to fit 80 people there in April for a Wedding Reception. Suppose I could buy 80 Lunchboxes for them to Postal Race on for the day and keep as a take home gift instead. Probably better entertainment than my Dancing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Sadly not, but a Crawler might make along there 🤔

Maybe I should have got the XV-02 Pro instead of the XV-02 RS after all and made a nice Rally circuit where Cherry Picker is.
I don’t think Mrs RB would be to impressed though as we’ve got to fit 80 people there in April for a Wedding Reception. Suppose I could buy 80 Lunchboxes for them to Postal Race on for the day and keep as a take home gift instead. Probably better entertainment than my Dancing. 

Am I invited? 😃 "This is Pylon80, a friend from my club"

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Might as well squeeze the last bit of life out of the front tyres! 😁

2023-11-22_08-24-51

Nice! I think those fronties have at least another full Round or two ahead of them :lol: until you can see the sidewall line coming through, you are good!

Nice bringing in the Nikko Diktator @Andreas W

And @Re-Bugged, the idea of getting Lunch Boxes for the 80 people invited is awesome 🤣 ...maybe you can get a bulk buy deal with Tamiya?

Speaking of Terra Scorcher, mine got to see more action since it didn't snow. I had a couple more stints both yesterday and the day before, matched the personal best almost every time but never beat it 😬 Also, there was a little accident: there is a significant bump on my playground right by marker 1, which makes for a dramatic view as the cars goes on two wheels during the turn. One time I hit it with too much of an angle, and the car ended upside down 😐 no marks on the roof fortunately, but the impact made the paint detach from the shell (it was pretty cold, so I'mnot surprised). It's still on and didn't chip yet, but I'll have to touch it up sooner than later along with the wing, also sporting a few chips and battle scars. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Am I invited? 😃 "This is Pylon80, a friend from my club"

Absolutely 👍🏻 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Oh wow! I had a 7 way back when. One could probably a monster beetle for half the price at the time (without the RC system and battery of course) but I really didn't know any better and my buddy had a Nikko as well so I went that route 🙂

Incredible that you are still running it!

Back then the radiogear was costy and it was a hassle going with bus and parent to Oslo to get it (I grew up in Drøbak - a good hour with bus away). The friends and classmates who had kits had constant breakdowns and had to go to Oslo for parts, so the sentiment for kits were not exactly positive within our household. A bookstore/toy shop in Drøbak carried a large selection of Nikko and had parts support, so it was a no brainer. After I got bearings in it it was faster in a straight line than my neighbors silvercan equipped Marui Ninja (which was the benchmark for perfomance for us, until a classmate got a M&Y mod motor for his Marui  Samurai - when it was actually running). The Dictator just kept going for years (I have only replaced the servo and servo saver during all these years) and I kept running it up to the late 90s. Then it rested in it's box until 2020, when I glued the pinions and quickly broke all wheel adaptors. Last year it got TL-01 axles, adaptors from my Thunder Dragon and new Hotshot front wheels and have been up and running since.

The next thing to do would be to clean out the gunky grease in the gearboxes and get a set of new bearings - replacing the ones from 1989. I remember it as faster back then than it is now. The grease has more in common with O'Keefe's working hands now, so that would probably explain it. 

• Like 7

Way to go, Nikko! Interesting story @Andreas W  , I think your Dictator well deserves the cleanup and new bearings.

• Like 3

Position Username Lap count Car Motor Battery Running surface Surface modifiers / excuses
1 Kowalski86 43 TT-02 Mazda RX-7 23T SuperStock RZ 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Stiff rear diff
1 Ferruz 43 Terra Scorcher 2020 17.5t Flash Racing A Series 7.2V NiMH Cracked bumpy tarmac on slight incline No - the track surface was clear and dry.
1 TurnipJF 43 F104 Pro II with F104 Pro body 21.5t Bluebottle 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.
1 TurnipJF 43 F104 V2 Pro with F104 Pro body 21.5t Speed Passion 4.0 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.
1 TurnipJF 43 Hopped-up F103RS with aftermarket body 21.5t Speed Passion 3.0 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.
6 TurnipJF 42 Group C Mercedes C11 4.5t Speed Passion MMM 2S LiPo Tarmac Running display shell, so took it easy
6 Andreas W 42 XV-01 Lancia Delta HF Integrale Yeah Racing Hackmoto 23t 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.
6 TurnipJF 42 Box-stock F103RS with "M-body" 21.5t Trackstar 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.
7 TurnipJF 41 Thunder Shot 25t GT Tuned 2S LiPo Tarmac Very worn front tyres!
8 Kowalski86 31 WPL D12 260 Brushed 7.4V Li-ion Tarmac Speed Racer drove
9 Andreas W 28 Nikko Dictator 2x 380SH 7.2V NiMH Tarmac It was wet.
10 Andreas W 26 Terra Scorcher Black endbell silvercan 8,4V NiHM Snow There was snow.
11 Andreas W 20 Grasshornet Tamiya ST 7.2V NiMH Snow There was snow.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hehe. This was close in the top. I cannot remember we had so many contenders within the same lapcount (or within 3 laps, for that matter). Congrats to you all on the crowded podium. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Andreas W said:

Congrats to you all on the crowded podium. 

Thank you, I'm actually very surprised that my TT02 even made the top 3! I guess just being able to powerslide it a bit helps out.

• Like 5

That's a really crowded first spot indeed. Congrats to everyone that participated.

Shows again that in the right circumstances "any" material can win. You can find almost all variants within the top 3 (number of laps) 2wd, 4wd, more basic and "fancy pansy" chassis and motor, Nimh and Lipo.

If you can adapt your car and driving style to the track and to the limits of your cars design, the difference made by the materials seems only marginal. 

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

Thank you, I'm actually very surprised that my TT02 even made the top 3! I guess just being able to powerslide it a bit helps out.

That was a very good performance! What mods and hop-ups do you have on your TT-02?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

That was a very good performance! What mods and hop-ups do you have on your TT-02?

Thank you, it's a fairly stock TT02D, just with a servo horn, and green Associated springs instead of the kit silver springs. 22t Pinion, single hole pistons with 40wt oil.

Where it differs is in the differentials, I had the back setup with plenty of 20k diff fluid, and tiny snips of ear plug up front. Like my MB01, I wanted to be able to oversteer on throttle to work around the wide turn angle of the chassis.

It slid through markers 9 to 11 very quickly, the only real issue was a crack in the road from 8 to 10. It did take a few tries and a lot of practice, as this setup with a Superstock RZ will very easily spin out.

• Like 2

Nice one. Crowded and varied podium indeed, if it were a physical one it would probably collapse under the weight of 3 people and 5 cars! :o congrats everybody, this was fun as always.

• Like 5