TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 43 track is up. Off to Magny-Cours we go!

So, with such a crowded podium, does anyone fancy the honor of choosing our next destination?

• Like 1

I've been debating on suggesting Mid-Americs Raceway, when it was around it was about 20 minutes from me.

It ran clock wise, with the starting grid being a long drag strip that immediately cuts to a sharp right at the end.

_Mid-America-1977-05-15t.jpg

• Like 2

Looks interesting @Kowalski86.

Ps I am buried in work these days, projects to complete and deadlines to meet, I'll gladly leave the choice of our next destination to somebody else.

4 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Do I map the track down onto the grid? Or does someone else usually do that?

The grid mapping is usually done by the person proposing the track layout, but there is no rule stating that this has to be the case. Would you prefer that someone else gives it a go?

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

The grid mapping is usually done by the person proposing the track layout, but there is no rule stating that this has to be the case. Would you prefer that someone else gives it a go?

I can give it a shot, I just need to know how to downscale meters into inches when making the grid.

How does this look?

If it's too long, I dotted out an alternative setup that shorten it a bit. Pardon the white out.

20231204_142552.jpg

• Like 2

I have a fairly big area to run my cars, so the size is fine for me, but I know others have more confined spaces to work with. What is the group's view on the track size?

• Like 2

For me it does not matter. It only means I have to run on gravel this time.  It's snow on top anyway. 

8 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

Its fine for me but never mind, probably won't get to it this month. (Again :()

Same here...

• Sad 2

better for me if I get chance not to freeze to death ! by the time my carer has marked the course i'm usually too cold to move the little that I can :(

Can we go with this:

image.png.6ebf9daac951106b57c4537dbba15815.png

It is the same as originally drawn only shifted by 0.5m to get marker 1 started at 1,1 coordinate and help provide 1m of margin to the track edge or obstacles.

Coordinate would be:

Marker X Y
1 1.0 1.0
2 1.0 4.5
3 2.0 5.0
4 3.0 3.0
5 4.0 5.0
6 3.0 6.5
7 5.0 6.5
8 5.0 4.5
9 9.0 4.5
10 9.0 1.0

Let me know if that makes sense and if that is helpful.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

It looks nice and flowing. Will probably be a fast track on bare tarmac - dry or wet. ATM there will be sliding from marker 2 to marker 8. I think I 'm gonna ride the Thunder Dragon this time and test out the new Kyosho G15 motor with different pinions. It's too much snow for the XV-01 anyway. It's not enough that they scrape the surface but it's enough to make too deep wheeltracks from 1:1 cars for the XV-01 to work. 

3 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Can we go with this:

It is the same as originally drawn only shifted by 0.5m to get marker 1 started at 1,1 coordinate and help provide 1m of margin to the track edge or obstacles.

Coordinate would be:

Marker X Y
1 1.0 1.0
2 1.0 4.5
3 2.0 5.0
4 3.0 3.0
5 4.0 5.0
6 3.0 6.5
7 5.0 6.5
8 5.0 4.5
9 9.0 4.5
10 9.0 1.0

Looks good to me! Let's go with this for Round 41.

Rules and results submission as per the first post in the thread. Round 41 ends at Midnight GMT on Sunday 31 December. Not sure how to spend New Year's Eve? Go postal racing! 😁

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Can we go with this:

Coordinate would be:

Marker X Y
1 1.0 1.0
2 1.0 4.5
3 2.0 5.0
4 3.0 3.0
5 4.0 5.0
6 3.0 6.5
7 5.0 6.5
8 5.0 4.5
9 9.0 4.5
10 9.0 1.0

Sure, I appreciate you making it easier to read than mine.

I'll be running the Frog for this one, I'd run the WPL but I'm sure that it'll get smoked on a fast layout like this!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Looks good to me! Let's go with this for Round 41.

Rules and results submission as per the first post in the thread. Round 41 ends at Midnight GMT on Sunday 31 December. Not sure how to spend New Year's Eve? Go postal racing! 😁

Deal!

• Like 5

On 12/5/2023 at 7:13 AM, Tamiyastef said:

Its fine for me but never mind, probably won't get to it this month. (Again :()

On 12/5/2023 at 7:42 AM, Andreas W said:

For me it does not matter. It only means I have to run on gravel this time.  It's snow on top anyway. 

On 12/5/2023 at 3:35 PM, Ferruz said:

Same here...

11 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

I'll be running the Frog for this one, I'd run the WPL but I'm sure that it'll get smoked on a fast layout like this!

IMG_6111.md.jpeg 

At last victory shall be mine !! Mwwwwwahahaha 😁

(Probably 😂)

• Haha 7

I feel like going to the Dollar shop & picking up some more glow bracelets for marking out a night session again 😄

IMG_6128.jpeg

• Like 8

Well I’d like to say every thing went smooth as silk but apart from leaving home without a measuring tape and the course map drawn out then battling with the wind as there’s a cyclone brewing north of here, I had a charged battery so it was going to be used. I’d also sprayed the cereal box markers orange, so I’d gone to much effort at this point to just give up.

So after scribbling down the coordinates on a rough bit of paper trying not to lose it or the markers, half an hour later using the measuring app on my phone I could finally unleash the freshly finished XV-02RS Scooby 😃

IMG_6236.jpeg

IMG_6235.jpeg

My word it was well worth it. In short it is an absolute peach to drive and everything I hoped it would be. I haven’t owned a XV-01 to compare it to but that really doesn’t concern me anymore as this thing is as perfect and it could be for me.

Nice tight turning circle & handles beautifully. I’m no professional RC racer and I have limited knowledge on car set up so it’s been built to the instruction manual. No plans to change from that in the immediate future.

Watching the body roll through the corners is highly addictive. Glad to report no grip roll either on its maiden voyage. The tyres did a fantastic job on the Uni car park surface gripping to a point then letting the rear end slide into an effortless drift on long fast (for me anyway!) sweeping bends. I was also worried that the 13.5t HW Justock combo would be too much but was quite at home. Good to be able to use a Shorty pack I’ve had for a while and not used. Probably helped the drifting with most of the weight up front.
In the hands of a more competent driver I have no doubt many more laps would be easily achieved. Nonetheless I left this Postal Race attempt with a huge grin on my face, this is definitely my new favourite car park racer 😁

• Like 9

I'm happy to read that you are happy with the XV-02. A rally car is good and fun on a lot of surfaces and can do it all. Kind of like a buggy,  but more nimble as I see it. 

The M-05 was a gamechanger fir me in 2022. It made me learn throtle control and to make gentle steering inputs. When I got the XV-01 and kept on practicing what I had learned with the M-05 the lapcount impoved immidiately. At the same time you can wreck the XV-01 around the corners and enjoy the body roll and realistic weight transfer anyone who has had the pleasure of driving an 1:1 Audi with quattro are familier with. Good for me that the HW 13.5t Justock was spot onB).

Now out to remove snow with the grey Fergie. That is also nice. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Andreas W said:

The M-05 was a gamechanger for me in 2022. It made me learn throtle control and to make gentle steering inputs. When I got the XV-01 and kept on practicing what I had learned with the M-05 the lapcount impoved immidiately. 

Trouble is with me now some runs are so few and far between that by the time I get out again I’ve forgotten what was learnt previously 🤣. A friend once said to me

“The problem with getting older I find is every time I learn something new now it pushes out something useful from brain”

7 hours ago, Andreas W said:

Good for me that the HW 13.5t Justock was spot onB).

Now out to remove snow with the grey Fergie. That is also nice. 

I’ve geared it a little on the conservative side which probably helped there, but I did get carried away most of the time enjoying it which resulted in running wide on the tight bits. I’d like to think I’ll manage another session before Christmas but unlikely at this stage.

Have fun on the tractor 😉

• Like 3