TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 45 takes us to Anderstorp!

Flat markers are the way to go. The first couple of races I tried plastic flower pots but just they kept moving if a breeze came through, or clipped with a car that would send them half way down the street. I then tried putting rocks in them to hold them in place but then damaged cars with the inevitable impact.

Now I (because I forgot to get chalk) put a bit of Duct tape stuck to the ground and put the rubber markers on them. I’ve only got 8 markers so either use a cardboard circle cut from a cereal box or a spent glow in the dark ring from the night stages race if I’m short. Now that was a lot of fun, the night stage 😁

Now the cars pass over the markers without any damage. 

• Like 2

I agree with you about chalk, BuggyDad. But I am still using markers even though I mark the course with chalk (private property) or marker spray (public property). I always just make a dot, so I know where to put the marker the next day. This way I have the course marked up for the entire round and set the course up within a minute. Then I can run every day on the way back from home from work if I want to (and I do). I have tried using only paint or chalk, but that does not work for me personally. I then run too careless and make too many mistakes. This is just a psycological thing for me. 

Markers are also handy if you want to run on other surfaces. Here in Norway we have a lot of small fotball pitches (ballbinge) with astro surface at schools. Thats great fun and goes well. You can even slide a bit. 

• Like 1

Finally got myself back in Postal racing after missing the last one, and even the one before that i'm afraid. Headed to my favourite carpark, nice smooth tarmac and mostly empty on sundays. Charged two 2S Lipo 6000Mah packs, took my M-05 and XV-01 only to discover that the 6000Mah doesn't fit the M-05...  So only the XV-01 got attempts today. This track really suits a rallycar IMO, you can slide nice through and around the corners. Enjoyed this very much.

20230604_160133.jpg  20230604_160149.jpg

Video footage of some practice laps

[media]

• Like 7

I've thought about it a bit, I think I'll throw my TT02D and the Type S into the event. I'd enter my Midnight Pumpkin too but I don't want to mess up the paint job!

The main issue in the way is waiting for the tempature to drop.

• Like 3

On 6/2/2023 at 10:26 AM, TurnipJF said:

How about this?

image.thumb.png.4d1ca39fe8476d35ca6a8bda5fda01a6.png

A: 1:1

B: 7:1

C: 7:3

D: 5:4

E: 6:3.5

F: 3:3

G: 1.5:3

H: 1:4

Start/Finish: 4:1

Hey would someone be able to quote the questionnaire thing to put down how many laps you did? Please and thanks!

Edited by EmJayeX
Wanted to add something

28 minutes ago, EmJayeX said:

Hey would someone be able to quote the questionnaire thing to put down how many laps you did? Please and thanks!

Edit: I found it, but it says this round is finished, the next will start soon? 

3 hours ago, EmJayeX said:

Edit: I found it, but it says this round is finished, the next will start soon? 

It should be working now.

21 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

It should be working now.

Awesome! Thanks! Even though its my first time racing, I think im doing pretty well so far. Got to run for about half an hour. Forgot to take pics though. Started drizzling so I had to stop a little sooner than I wanted. Look forward to the end of this round! 

Maybe I missed it, but when does this round end again?

1 minute ago, EmJayeX said:

Awesome! Thanks! Even though its my first time racing, I think im doing pretty well so far. Got to run for about half an hour. Forgot to take pics though. Started drizzling so I had to stop a little sooner than I wanted. Look forward to the end of this round! 

Maybe I missed it, but when does this round end again?

Oops, I found it. June 25th. Maybe ill look harder before asking a question next time 😅

• Like 1

I've got over 2 hours of runtime on Jyllandsringen this week and I love how fast but technical it is. I have been running the Golf and the Lancia. The Golf is so smooth around the markers. I can go flat out between marker G and H, only lifting the throtle slightly at marker H. Waiting for  the wider axles and 9 mm hexes put 7 mm hexes on the rear axle. The car now feels more planted when sliding, not stepping any more. 

This time the Golf has been plagued with glitching after 3 stints. I thought it was the TX battery, but it was not. It's both throtle and steering and nothing systematic. Gotta try another RX and see if it gets better. I have been near crashing it more than a couple of times. 

The Lancia is the fastest and makes the best lapcount, though. With the temps we have now the Ride slicks are superb giving loads of confidence. I have to lift the throtle around marker H and if I do that abrupt enough I go round the corner in Tommi Mäkinen-style. I have swapped to a 23t pinion. I used to run 21t. That was mainly because of the originally fitted BZ (and that I only had the kit cheese pinion). With the smaller TC tyres that was too short for the not so high reving YR motor. Now the gearing feels better and the temps are still ok after 2 stints. 

• Like 4

On 6/2/2023 at 5:26 PM, TurnipJF said:

How about this?

image.thumb.png.4d1ca39fe8476d35ca6a8bda5fda01a6.png

A: 1:1

B: 7:1

C: 7:3

D: 5:4

E: 6:3.5

F: 3:3

G: 1.5:3

H: 1:4

Start/Finish: 4:1

Anyone else getting confused trying to locate markers G and H? 9 markers on the drawing but only 8 co-ordinates...  (and E should be 3.5:6 IMO)

I already had an attempt on this lay-out and just used the drawing as a reference to "build" the track, no problems there. Only noticed this as Andreas W was talking about markers G and H and I was wondering which 2 he meant... 

I have made this to help myself. On my drawing my earlier  mentioned corners are H and A.

20230609_125847.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have made this to help myself. On my drawing my earlier  mentioned corners are H and A.

20230609_125847.jpg

• Thanks 1

I ran my TT02D thinking that it would be the safest pick, and that worn "race tires" would double as slicks. Since it's customary for racers to blame their cars I'm going to blame the tires for my mishaps! Also, I think the heatsink worked against me since the motor was blistering hot after some practice 

I also ran a (redacted to avoid lawyers) for the heck of it, which was slower but more predictable for the most part. Lots of curb smacking though.

VideoCapture_20230609-144943.jpg

VideoCapture_20230609-144847.jpg

20230609_135926.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Tamiyastef said:

(and E should be 3.5:6 IMO)

Oops, sorry about that. Edited accordingly. 

• Like 1

Just came back from my first go at Round 35. This time I took out the Terra Scorcher and the Optima Mid, but most of my attention went to the latter.

This was my first time driving a premium buggy on a technical course, and well I was blown away! Even if not "at home" (all in all it's an offroader with some on road wheels chucked on, no further road setup for now) the car showed its potential right away. It's incredible how clean it drives, silent, precise, manageable, made me feel confident from the start. The geometry and weith distribution on this buggy are simply impeccable.

I only did two stints at a moderate pace for now, but it's already very exciting and fulfilling. I was so concentrated on the car that I barely counted the laps 😅

In other words, fantastic track this one, technical but also longer and faster than usual. It's amongst my favourite ones so far👍

20230611-153428.jpg

20230611-152339.jpg

20230611-144342.jpg

20230611-153732.jpg

• Like 9

Had another go today.

The Street Scorcher was the first choice, good fun car with a nice tight turning circle.

And as there is a menacing looking Mid in mix this round with road slicks on, the Javelin got its spikes swapped for road rims off my Terra Scorcher 😉

I had some shock spacers in the tool box so the were deployed on the Javelin to stiffen it up a bit which made a slight difference to getting the front end to grip a bit more, getting carried away and over zealous with the throttle was probably more the main contributor for over shooting some of the corners. A dab of the brake to shift the weight forward going into the corners gave a very satisfying semi slide before gunning it to the next turn.

Another thoroughly enjoyable afternoon out with RC goodness 😁

IMG_5426.jpg

• Like 5

Done my monthly runs. This time, since I decided to give my Terra Scorcher a clean up, I figured I might as well give it a try on the tarmac. While it did get less laps than the XV-01, it's not as big of a difference as I thought. I really want to know about @Ferruz and  @TurnipJF to have their ThunderShot-based cars to perform so well. It's been a while since I drove mine, and that was on dirt, but on tarmac I found it to be quite a handful. If you don't get the braking and speed right, either the car turns sluggishly or oversteers quite a lot, almost pivoting on the front. Which could be useful on some hairpins in this track, but well, if you can't do that on command, it's not that useful.

@MontyMole I'm happy with how my Terra Scorcher drives, it's solid and predictable with sharp steering -which by now needs the aid of a high torque servo saver. I find it to be an overall excellent chassis. I didn't change much in my setup compared to stock, anyway I recently posted about it on a different thread in another section of the forum, here'sthe quote hope it helps

On 5/29/2023 at 3:45 PM, Ferruz said:

@Saito2 While I'm in no way a T-shot chassis expert, I'm happy to share my personal experience with the Terra Scorcher. Not that I did much to it, but since I find it extremely rewarding to drive and free from any faulty behavior (such as being twitchy, oversteer or grip-roll) I guess it's worth a shot -pun intended-

Suspension wise, once the car was built I found the oil shock supplied with the kit to be way too soft, especially in the fronts. I swapped to much stiffer oil, can't remember exactly but I reckon I used some 650/750 cst Associated shock oil in both front and rear shocks. Overall handling felt much better afterwards. 

I also used suspension hinge pins in place of the screw pins on both front and back suspension arms, but I only did it cause they came with the A5 aluminum part. I don't think they make much of a difference tbh. One last thing, I gave the steering some toe out, just a little bit compared to the instructions' settings, I think about 1 mm maybe even less. I think that's about it, the servo saver is still the stock one in my case but it's getting some play by now, so I am going to replace it soon with a high torque one.

• Like 1

I managed to have a go with the Manta Ray today, thanks to the Hornet temporarily lending its servo for the purpose. I was having a good run a couple weeks ago,;when steering problems arose and I had to stop. I had no replacement for the moment, so I'm glad I did the temporary swap so that the Manta could participate.

Once the servo was back on the Hornet I had a go with it too. It did better than I expected, especially counting it was just one single attempt.

Today's races were run under a gloomy post-apocalyptic sun, there was a lot of smoke in the air due to some big wildfires that are happening not too far from here 😵

20230625-183527.jpg

• Like 1

I got a run in a few weeks ago and had fun as usual with the m-08. I was excited to try the lovely ta-08 pro but it didn't really gel.

For me it boils down to turning circle and steering response which the m-08 and xv-01 (long damper spec) excel at. They both have a better radio than the ta-08 (Futaba vs FlySky) but the xv-01 has the slowest servo of the three. I'll figure something out.

I haven't found a good surface and tire combo to run buggies on yet. Dual block C compound stick like glue to hot tarmac, but traction roll at high speed is a carpet burn of the soul. I wouldn't know where to start with fleabay tires and wheels so I stick with PJ and Tamiya.

• Like 1

I have not ran a single lap the last two weeks. I still have not sorted the glitching on the Golf, other than trying the Lipo I use in the Golf in the Thunder Dragon. The battery is of a type which can have multi connectors, so there is a Deans connector in the side of the battery casing. The Thunder Dragon drove superb,  so it boils down to either the RX or the ESC. 

The last weeks has gone for scraping and painting the house. July and parts of August will do  as well. 

I'm also curious to see if there is any difference between the Javelin and Optima Mid given they both are piloted by two competent drivers. 

• Like 1

Position Username Lap count Car Motor Battery Running surface Surface modifiers (Optional) Running weight (Optional) Best lap
1 Andreas W 38 XV-01 Lancia Delta HF Integrale YR Hackmoto 23T 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
2 TurnipJF 38 F104 Pro II 21.5t Surpass 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
3 TurnipJF 38 F104 V2 Pro 21.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
4 Ferruz 37 Kyosho Optima Mid 2022 13.5t Surpass Hobby Brushless 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Cracked bumpy old tarmac on a slight incline    
5 Andreas W 36 M-05 Golf MK1 Tamiya TT 25T 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
6 Ferruz 35 DF-01 Manta Ray 13.5T Bluebottle 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Cracked bumpy old tarmac on a slight incline    
7 Ferruz 35 Terra Scorcher 2020 17.5T Flash Racing A Series 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Cracked bumpy old tarmac on a slight incline    
8 Ferruz 32 Hornet Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Cracked bumpy old tarmac on a slight incline    
9 EmJayex 31 TT-02 A80 Racing Supra Torque Tuned 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
10 Monty Mole 31 XV-01 Lancia Delta Integrale 13.5T HobbyWing Justock 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.   8.7
11 Tamiyastef 31 XV-01 540 silver can 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry. 1590g  
12 droidy 31 M-08 Miata 13.5t HobbyWing Quicrun 2S LiPo Concrete No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
13 Monty Mole 28 Terra Scorcher 17.5T HobbyWing Justock 2S LiPo Tarmac No - the track surface was clear and dry.   9.64
14 droidy 28 TA-08 Pro Ferrari F12 24t UGT Tuned 2S LiPo Concrete No - the track surface was clear and dry.    
15 Kowalski86 16 TT-02D Honda Civic 23T Sport Tuned Black Can 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Some dust and grass on track    
16 Kowalski86 12 (Deducted two for wall collisions) Texas Crash HCG 12T 550 Brushed 7.2V NiMH Tarmac Track was dusty Too Heavy  
  • Like 3