TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 45 takes us to Anderstorp!

I managed to get some night time practice today! 4 stints on the beautiful track that Andreas designed for us. Very technical and a huge amount of fun, especially with the chicane at the end of the straight.

But the outstanding point of the evening was that I was finally trying some foam tires for m-chassis. Yes, you have read correctly 😅 I found them on RC Mart while ordering some m-chassis Rush tires and thought I would just give them a try.

tXhSYRj.jpg

I half expected them to last no more then 5 min, given how badly I have been stripping the Tamiya "shelf" tires in the last round. Well, they completely transformed the car which is now very planted and cornering sharper than even before, in spite of the thick layer of tennis ball dust. This M-05 has really been improving steadily over the last year and I can really say now that I'm the limiting factor, not the car itself.

Tire wear was surprisingly minimal after 4 stints: 

XPoGuvz.jpg

A funny thing is that after about 10 min the car had cleaned it's own grove in the track and was getting faster. If I would run wide I would feel the slippery dust again for half a lap until the tires would clear again.

Another night of fun with the little Golf 😎

• Like 5

Hmm. I have a set of M-size foams that I keep for carpet tracks. I haven't tried them on tarmac. Maybe I should give them a go this round? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

But the outstanding point of the evening was that I was finally trying some foam tires for m-chassis. Yes, you have read correctly 😅 

I half expected them to last no more then 5 min, given how badly I have been stripping the Tamiya "shelf" tires in the last round. Well, they completely transformed the car which is now very planted and cornering sharper than even before, in spite of the thick layer of tennis ball dust. This M-05 has really been improving steadily over the last year and I can really say now that I'm the limiting factor, not the car itself.

Tire wear was surprisingly minimal after 4 stints: 

XPoGuvz.jpg

A funny thing is that after about 10 min the car had cleaned it's own grove in the track and was getting faster. If I would run wide I would feel the slippery dust again for half a lap until the tires would clear again.

Another night of fun with the little Golf 😎

Hehe. You can see the tennisball-fibres on the tyres. I ban imagine how much of it is coming up in the chassis. It's kind of surprising that these tyres hold up so good. I have no experience with such,  but have always imagined that they would wear out fast and just written them off. Nice to read that you had another nice evening together with the lovely Golf. 

TurnipJF should give these tyres a go as well on a competent car. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Andreas W said:

TurnipJF should give these tyres a go as well on a competent car. 

2024-04-16_05-32-46

Foam tyres? Check! Competent car? Check! Podium-worthy lap count? We'll have to wait and see!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

2024-04-16_05-32-46

Foam tyres? Check! Competent car? Check! Podium-worthy lap count? We'll have to wait and see!

Mine are Contact, 40 shore. I discarded them from my search last year as they are marketed as only 52.5mm diameter. They are exactly the same diameter as worn Tamiya radials however so I'm glad I gave them a try.

How about yours?

2 hours ago, Pylon80 said:

Mine are Contact, 40 shore. I discarded them from my search last year as they are marketed as only 52.5mm diameter. They are exactly the same diameter as worn Tamiya radials however so I'm glad I gave them a try.

How about yours?

Mine are also from Contact, 35 shore at the rear, 37 at the front. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Mine are also from Contact, 35 shore at the rear, 37 at the front. 

Good to know! I picked 40 as I had no idea where to start from and also I am quite obsessed with rotating all my ties front to rear to extend their life.

I managed to squeeze in 4 stints in a hefty week yesterday. I wanted to run the XV-01,  since that is the most competetive this time, but the sense said it is smarter to run the Carten after it was on the setup station on Saturday. I need to test it before the next attempt on the scaled up circuit. I have reduced the rear camber (meaning made it more positive/less negative) in order to reduce the tyrewear and probablyget morereartraction. I have also made camber and toe out equal on both axles. Not that I could feel any radical change,  but I made two stints on par with the until now personal best (which I have only made once), so hopefully the car is not made worse. The truth comes for a day when I try the Ride 60D tyres next time. I have 36, 33 and 30 shore in the sortiment and I hope they feel as good as the full size TC tyres. 

The tyrewear on the front has evened out in the front after the changes as can be seen. It is also visible which side is the left. The rears was so worn on the inside after 30 mins running last Friday, so they are how they are. But all tyres are turned now, so with tons of hope ;) they get flatter before they are completely through.

20240417_075425.jpg

• Like 4