TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

@Carmine A The idea is to keep details of one's competitors a surprise until the end of the round, so you would send your lap total, car details, etc to me via personal message rather than posting them on the forum. I would then collate everyone's results and details, posting them on the forum in a table at the end of the round so as to reveal them to everyone simultaneously. I know I might not be explaining it all that clearly. Does that make sense?

@SupraChrgd82 Every round will have a conventional race of 5 minutes alongside a novelty category which can be whatever you like. Some people might just want to take part in the racing, which is fine. Others may also want to do the novelty bit, which is fine too. So say for example you chose a novelty challenge of driving blindfolded with a spotter telling you when to turn, brake, etc. Some people would submit results driving normally, using their own eyes, others may want to take up the challenge and submit results gained while driving blindfolded/guided. Or you may choose another type of novelty challenge, for example the most beaten-up runner shell. People would submit their race results as normal, but those who want to do the novelty challenge can also submit a photo of their most knackered shell, which might be put to a vote to decide the winner. The racing is pretty straightforward, the novelty bit can be as simple or as complex, as conventional or as wacky as you wish. Again, my apologies if I am not explaining all that clearly. Does that make sense?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sitting at work, messing around in Illustrator to clarify the track layout... hope you don't mind... Is this what you meant? Or should the cones be moved in so the whole thing is within 5 x 4 meters?

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 11.34.36 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Sitting at work, messing around in Illustrator to clarify the track layout... hope you don't mind... Is this what you meant? Or should the cones be moved in so the whole thing is within 5 x 4 meters?

Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 11.34.36 AM.png

That is spot on! Thanks! I thought the markers should be at 5m X 4m so that someone with a 6m X 5m driving area has a half meter space to go around them. I have edited my earlier post to show your superior rendering. 

• Like 2

@TurnipJF  That is now Crystal Clear! 👍👍  Thanks. 

By my recollection.... This Stage will be about as long as an American SUV - and as wide as a Korean Car.  (Actually being semi serious. That's roughly 5X4 Metres) 

NEXT dumb Question - does it HAVE to have a Body?  I'm asking because my M05 is far from Track Tuned yet..... But I've got a TT02 Chassis, that I've spec'ed out well enough, that I've never been able to afford a Body for. 

I've had to run it NAKED for nearly 5 Years.  (I WANT either a 911 - that looks good at 257mm, a Mercedes AMG GT3, Toyota 86, or Ford Mustang GT4).... NON PRE DRILLED

Never had stock when I had some money - now I don't have the money. 😖😞  It's OK if we can't run without Bodies - this isn't for anything but a great time and some bragging rights!! 😁

If I'm not mistaken, this size should fit neatly in my driveway turn-out, but I'll have to wait a few days to find out. Our air quality is awful from all the wildfire smoke right now, and the next few days it's supposed to rain. If my basement were a little bigger, I could lay it out in there, but then I'd get in trouble for tearing up the carpet...

28 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

@TurnipJF  That is now Crystal Clear! 👍👍  Thanks. 

By my recollection.... This Stage will be about as long as an American SUV - and as wide as a Korean Car.  (Actually being semi serious. That's roughly 5X4 Metres) 

NEXT dumb Question - does it HAVE to have a Body?  I'm asking because my M05 is far from Track Tuned yet..... But I've got a TT02 Chassis, that I've spec'ed out well enough, that I've never been able to afford a Body for. 

I've had to run it NAKED for nearly 5 Years.  (I WANT either a 911 - that looks good at 257mm, a Mercedes AMG GT3, Toyota 86, or Ford Mustang GT4).... NON PRE DRILLED

Never had stock when I had some money - now I don't have the money. 😖😞  It's OK if we can't run without Bodies - this isn't for anything but a great time and some bragging rights!! 😁

It is all for a bit of fun, so I can't see any reason to insist on a bodyshell being fitted. Maybe just note your car's nudity when submitting your results?

• Thanks 1

Quick clarification: are we doing a rolling or standing start?

• Like 1

I'll be measuring that out at the weekend, reckon it'll fit in the garden. Now to choose the appropriate weapon, I'm thinking the Hornet to properly represent my 10 year old self.. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bash said:

Quick clarification: are we doing a rolling or standing start?

Standing start. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

It is all for a bit of fun, so I can't see any reason to insist on a bodyshell being fitted. Maybe just note your car's nudity when submitting your results?

OK 👌 Cheers 🍻🍻🍺!! 

I will be sure to make sure that Old Ladies and Children are not outside when I'm running her Naked!! 😜😜😂  And I will supply as much information as possible to you.  I gotta fling out THIS one teaser.... 

The only Motor I've got not in something else - is a pretty HOT one!!!!🔥🔥🔥 (Brushed though) 

..... I also realised after dusting off the Cobwebs, there ARE a couple of things I can do if I have time.  I can try my new Anti-Seize Lubricant trick on the Front Diff! And I've learned some new Steering tightening tricks, since I built her in early 2016. 😊 

In fact I've got enough things to do to rejuvenate and improve........ 

It's worth its own Thread!! 😉

• Like 1

Earlier today I had a go at recording a lap total. Not going to say what I was driving or how many I got, but I will say that even though I didn't get above half throttle, it was fun to watch the car hustling around the tight little course, making very realistic tyre squealing sounds when cornering...😁

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Earlier today I had a go at recording a lap total. Not going to say what I was driving or how many I got, but I will say that even though I didn't get above half throttle, it was fun to watch the car hustling around the tight little course, making very realistic tyre squealing sounds when cornering...😁

The Squealing is GREAT - but I'm still trying to figure out how to make "Tire Smoke"..... As of this time, I'm not even CLOSE!! 😖

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

When I first built my re-re Kyosho Scorpion and discovered that its tires squealed on our smooth garage floor, I went through half a battery pack just doing donuts in there listening to the squeal. My wife wasn't as impressed with it as I was; I got one of "those looks."

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Marked out my track today and got a few practice laps in. Believe it or not but this will test a few people. To keep going for five minutes and to be consistent! All I can say is best of luck everyone.

• Like 2

Just had a measure in the garden (it's dark, so we'll see tomorrow) and I think I can just about squeeze the 5m width in. Grass is a bit long, so this bear seemed appropriate

IMG-1662.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, DayRider said:

Marked out my track today and got a few practice laps in. Believe it or not but this will test a few people. To keep going for five minutes and to be consistent! All I can say is best of luck everyone.

Yeah..... I took a few preliminary Laps in the M05. You'd think "figure 8, EASY, right?" 😖

At WFO Throttle, my M05 CAN'T TURN IN UNDER 4M!!! 😲😖 So, unless my TT-02 Chassis is ready to go... SERIOUS Throttle modulation will be required!  I say Thank You! This is indeed a Challenge.

• Like 2

This is a fantastic idea, my kids are delighted with it, especially my middle daughter who has just built a brand new Terra Scorcher and has a full set of brand new super soft schumacher venom tarmac tyres on it.....

(The only place we can create a 5x4m circuit as shown is on the local rec ground car park which is tarmac,  our garden track is actually much larger than this but to fit this design in we'd have to destroy a few flower beds and veg beds.......true, this is tempting.....)

However I'm not very happy - I just stripped down for rebuild all my decent buggies - Avante2001, Vanquish and Terra Scorcher are all now in bits on the bench....... sob, sob. This leaves me with just an SRB and a Bush Devil to use for this challenge....I don't stand a chance.... :-( It is bad enough that my daughters have beaten me in the last dozen games of Warhammer, to lose at an RC race would be the final straw ;-)

• Haha 2

A quick extra bit of info:

Deadline for the current round is midnight G.M.T. on Sunday the 27th of September.

I hope this will give me time to collate everything for sharing on Monday. 

• Thanks 1

And another quick extra bit of info:

This round's novelty challenge will be "excuses".

As we know from any number of post-race interviews, almost every driver, no matter how well they do, has an excuse as to why they didn't do even better. From tyre choice to pit crew to imaginary misfires, we have heard them all. Or have we?

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with the most amusing excuse as to why your lap count wasn't higher. It can be an essay, a paragraph, even a single word. For people who are better with pictures than words, even sketches or cartoons will be accepted. Share these with me via private message before the deadline, and they will be posted publicly along with the race results. We will then take a vote to decide the winner of the novelty category. 

• Like 4

Well, my excuse for why I haven't set up a track yet is that we went straight from dangerous wildfire smoke to pouring rain... maybe it will clear up this weekend. Otherwise you'll need to put a "W" for wet next to my times, like on Top Gear...

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Well, my excuse for why I haven't set up a track yet is that we went straight from dangerous wildfire smoke to pouring rain... maybe it will clear up this weekend. Otherwise you'll need to put a "W" for wet next to my times, like on Top Gear...

Right, Clarkson!!! 😜😂  Hey, it's still better than Fire...

• Like 1

I thought "going postal" was American slang for losing your temper which ends in violence it was called "going postal because 30 (ish) years ago a number of us postal service workers lost the plot and shot other employees?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, moffman said:

I thought "going postal" was American slang for losing your temper which ends in violence it was called "going postal because 30 (ish) years ago a number of us postal service workers lost the plot and shot other employees?

Oh! I had better change the thread title! 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So as it turns out, I don't actually have a continuous parcel of any one surface for this... so 2 cones were on concrete and 2 were in the dirt. Rallycross-style!

This is actually a pretty good challenge. Curious to see how everyone's times compare...

course 1.jpg

• Like 9