TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

9 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Oh! I had better change the thread title! 😳

So can you imagine when I seen your title what I actually thought😲? Brilliant idea though👍

• Haha 1

Just been out with a different car - 4WD this time. Blew my previous efforts out of the water! Going to have to practice more with them 2WDs...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, moffman said:

I thought "going postal" was American slang for losing your temper which ends in violence it was called "going postal because 30 (ish) years ago a number of us postal service workers lost the plot and shot other employees?

It IS!! 😂😄  I just never thought he meant it that way. I'm also a Yank, and my Wife used to be a Postal Employee. SHE just brought that up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am deeply sorry to anyone who I may have offended with the previous title of this thread. I intended it in the sense of trying a different way of doing things, as one might say "going digital" or "going old-school" for example. I will try to be more careful with my thread titles in future.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I am deeply sorry to anyone who I may have offended with the previous title of this thread. I intended it in the sense of trying a different way of doing things, as one might say "going digital" or "going old-school" for example. I will try to be more careful with my thread titles in future.

Don't worry mate I'm sure nobody will be offended! I only knew what it was after watching that chrismas film with Arnold Schwarzenegger in it where he is after that toy "turbo man" and he's running the gauntlet with a us postman who in the film he (or someone) says "he going postal" when he starts losing the plot? And that's a comedy so I'm thinking theirs nothing to apologise for?👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@TurnipJF OMG Mate!! Nothing to apologise for! 😊  It involved something that happened ONCE.

Since then, here in the Colonies, we use it as a sarcastic crack... "If you don't take care of this, I'm going POSTAL!" 😉  It's become an expression.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@TurnipJF I wouldn't worry, the original thread titles' inadvertent meaning may prove to be very accurate after the results are in.....

• Haha 2

Glad nobody has taken offence - I would imagine that something like this could have been offensive to friends and families of the victims and perpetrators, as well as those who work in the postal service.

On to happier things: Thanks to those who have already submitted results and excuses. Keep 'em coming!

• Like 1

ah, talking about excuses.....

I'm still waiting for parts to arrive to fix my buggies so depending on our customs service I may not make it this race - I think they have quarantined my parcel in UK customs, certainly feels like it LOL

I have even had to order a set of 6" high fluorescent cones because my daughters claimed I was cheating by using 2" high cones that they couldn't see (do bare in mind I'm 52 and blind as a bat so quite why they thought this I have no idea)

Oh and my new lapmonitor is due to arrive later this week, essential to avoid arguments over the timing system not counting their laps... 

If all goes to plan we will have a set of times for you by saturday night. :-)

EDIT: Oh, and one further excuse, I put my old 9.6v thundershot back together and tested that, goes like a rocket but sadly the ancient 2000mah battery only lasted 2 minutes so not much use for a 5 minute race LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, moffman said:

Don't worry mate I'm sure nobody will be offended! I only knew what it was after watching that chrismas film with Arnold Schwarzenegger in it where he is after that toy "turbo man" and he's running the gauntlet with a us postman who in the film he (or someone) says "he going postal" when he starts losing the plot? And that's a comedy so I'm thinking theirs nothing to apologise for?👍

That movie was really funny, Sinbad plays the postman and Phil Hartman was his obnoxious neighbor.

on a side note i find it hilarious not to offend anybody because everybody has such deep feelings, like make room, you can not, nor never please everybody, oh let's make laws against it and raise taxes to pay for the bleeding hearts that only cry out for more.

until there's something physical what problems can so many people have GO BUILD SOMETHING!

Turnip J yes most of us have morals and know where to draw a line, (i'm plain sick of it) but enough is enough and if someone abroad reads into it what it really is not Please come work with me for one day, you'll cry for mommy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ACCEL said:

That movie was really funny, Sinbad plays the postman and Phil Hartman was his obnoxious neighbor.

on a side note i find it hilarious not to offend anybody because everybody has such deep feelings, like make room, you can not, nor never please everybody, oh let's make laws against it and raise taxes to pay for the bleeding hearts that only cry out for more.

until there's something physical what problems can so many people have GO BUILD SOMETHING!

Turnip J yes most of us have morals and know where to draw a line, (i'm plain sick of it) but enough is enough and if someone abroad reads into it what it really is not Please come work with me for one day, you'll cry for mommy!

AMEN TO ALL OF THAT!!! 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

This must be proving very popular, your mailbox is full @TurnipJF :)

Just had a clear out - should be accepting messages now. 👍

• Like 3

Well that was almost embarrassing - for my cars at least.

My LiPo-powered M-07 and M-08 have been having a ding-dong battle over the last few sessions, and today they both managed to improve on their previous lap totals. I then decided to get out my old M-03 and an aging NiMH, just to see how far ahead of the old-timer the two newer cars were.

The M-03 came within two laps of beating them both!

I think I might get my old TT-01 out next and see how it compares to the TB-03 and TT-02 Type S that have been engaged in a similar battle.

Has anyone else been surprised by any of their cars so far? (Remember to keep your lap totals secret!)

• Haha 2

I thought my rally XV01 would blow the socks of my XV01T, but that certainly wasn't the case.

I found my Top Force to be unwieldy on the tight confines, but the Avante did very nicely.

Perhaps that shows my knowledge of car set up is a bit week :D

However all those completed efforts were very close together. The grass, uneven surface and tight confines (dodging bushes and paving curbs on the turns) are a good leveler for my skills.

Finally I tried out a session with my Konghead over lunch, and I was surprised how off the pace it was of my other efforts. It's got a 15.5t brushless in it, and makes good progress on the grass. Turning circle killing it I think, and perhaps the acceleration. Only 2WS on that effort, so I'll have to practice a bit more and turn the 4WS on, see if that helps it out.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

.....Has anyone else been surprised by any of their cars so far? (Remember to keep your lap totals secret!)

I'd be SHOCKED if my old, nearly bog standard M03 could beat my practically reengineered M05.... (I won't get to find out, it was long sold years ago 😭😭

But stranger things have happened!! 😜  Now if my old RC10 Gold Pan wasn't missing a bunch of bits... I'd run THAT in a Heartbeat!!! 

GOOD NEWS (in my best James May voice)- TT-02 bits have arrived EARLY from England!!! 😁😊💯  There's some hope.

• Like 1

A colleague's attempt, filmed by his drone:

Thanks to all who have entered so far. If anyone else wants to give it a go, this round runs until midnight GMT on Sunday.

• Like 4

That wasn't really doing "pure" Figure 8's....  Is that considered acceptable?? 

NOT that I'm a big stickler for the rules - or even a small one! 😜  I am still OCD.... I made sure that my Laps were all proper Eights. 

It's PERFECTLY alright if we're allowing 8's then I's then O's.... ME personally, will try to stick to plan. It's just the way my Dad DRILLED it into me! 😉 

I PM'ed you my latest results... If luck is on my side, I may get another crack at it before Tomorrow Afternoon (GMT minus 7) 

MORE GOOD NEWS!!! IMG_20200925_181847.thumb.jpg.d9b5e37fd78283b6996ed6ef19f4439d.jpg

My new TT-02 Knuckles arrived today!! (With other Spares for FUTURE clumsiness!!) 😜 

I'd LOVE to try Her, even WITHOUT a Body....

11 hours ago, Carmine A said:

That wasn't really doing "pure" Figure 8's....  Is that considered acceptable?? 

NOT that I'm a big stickler for the rules - or even a small one! 😜  I am still OCD.... I made sure that my Laps were all proper Eights. 

It's PERFECTLY alright if we're allowing 8's then I's then O's.... ME personally, will try to stick to plan. It's just the way my Dad DRILLED it into me! 😉 

I actually envisioned the course as a series of short straights and sharp corners, rather like a letter Z copied, mirrored and overlayed on the original. This was because I wanted people with only a 6m by 5m space available to be able to set up and run the course.

However I didn't specify any restrictions on how wide you can take the corners, so if you want to drive a big, rounded figure-of-eight, you are welcome to do so. As long as people go around the markers in the direction and order specified, it's all good! :D

• Like 2

AWESOME!!!  👍👍💯   I didn't fully understand the rules and parameters. I just went by the original drawing, which depicted a Figure of Eight....   I'm sticking with it, because that's what I've spent a week practising. 😊

• Like 2

Sadly all my cars are still in bits. My middle daughter did wonder down to the local rec ground earlier with the cones and her car to do an attempt but she came back within 10 mins as it was torrential rain. We've had strong winds and rain all afternoon so not had a chance to get out again. We will probably have to wait until next round unless by some miracle the sun shows itself tomorrow morning.

Good luck to all those entering though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Sadly all my cars are still in bits. My middle daughter did wonder down to the local rec ground earlier with the cones and her car to do an attempt but she came back within 10 mins as it was torrential rain. We've had strong winds and rain all afternoon so not had a chance to get out again. We will probably have to wait until next round unless by some miracle the sun shows itself tomorrow morning.

Good luck to all those entering though. 

No worries!! I'm sure this isn't the LAST. I may have already posted my fastest run.... As the TT-02 Chassis is not looking done enough.

• Like 1

Results are in for Round 1:

Laps: Participant: Chassis: Motor: Battery: Surface:
48 TurnipJF TB-03 13.5t 2S LiPo tarmac
48 TurnipJF TT-02 Type S 13.5t 2S LiPo tarmac
47 TurnipJF TT-01 13.5t 2S LiPo tarmac
41 TurnipJF M-08 (225mm) 13.5t 2S LiPo tarmac
40 TurnipJF M-07 (225mm) 13.5t 2S LiPo tarmac
39 TurnipJF M-03 (210mm) Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH tarmac
36 jupitertwo Avante re-re 25t GT Tuned 2S LiPo grass
35 Cacheley82 HPI RS4 Sport Flux HPI 4000kV 2S LiPo concrete
35 mud4fun's middle daughter Terra Scorcher (new) 23t Super Stock 7.2V NiMH tarmac
34 Carmine A M-05 (225mm) Torque Tuned 3S LiPo concrete
34 jupitertwo XV-01 17.5t 2S LiPo grass
32 markbt73 KyoshoTurbo Optima Re-re LeMans Stock 05 (27t) 2S LiPo mixed
30 mud4fun Terra Scorcher (knackered) 19t Reedy 8.4V NiMH tarmac
30 Saito2 Super Boomerhotshoterang Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH mixed
28 SupraChrgd82 M-07R 21,5t 7.2V NiMH tarmac
25 markbt73 WR-02C Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH mixed
24 markbt73 Carisma SCA-1E Dynamite 20t 7.2V NiMH mixed
24 Team Nessie (DayRider) M-05 (225mm) Hobbywing 4000kV 7.2V NiMH tarmac

It appears that no two people entered the same combination of terrain, power plant and chassis category, so in essence everyone won their own class. Well done all!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I can't seem to figure out how to add a poll as a reply to an existing thread, so here is a link to the new thread created for the "excuse" voting:

• Like 1