TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

Well, congratulations to all of you!!!🎊 

Especially TurnipJF - who DOMINATED! 😲🍻 (in the time honoured tradition of being a bad loser!!! 😜😂

I MAY have had the best running surface (smooth, brushed Concrete), but the WRONG Car. My M05 is a BALLISTIC little Turd, but not fond of sharp Curves... AND I'm older than DIRT with failing eyesight!! {There - my post Race Excuse!!!}😜😂😂😂

Hey, @Carmine A you just beat me :-) I also have a long list of excuses......

I can however console myself with the fact my 16yr old daughter beat you too......  ;-) ;-) 

Seriously though, what a fantastic idea. Me and my daughter had oodles of fun trying to get those laps yesterday. I lost count of the number of times I drifted right through the cones scattering them halfway down the car park, I got damned fit* running to collect them!

I only just got away with not destroying my only working car when I pushed it so fast I slid like 4 feet into a concrete curb at 20+ mph.... thankfully no damage sustained phew.

Big congratulations to all that took part and a BIG THANK YOU to @TurnipJF for organising it.

* when I say 'fit', I mean nearly suffered a heart attack and needed to sit down for 5 minutes rest......

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, DayRider said:

Who choosing the next track? It's on now!

According to the Rules, the winner, TurnipJF.... Someone's feeling competitive!! 😜

• Haha 1

I had best get designing! I'm thinking something longer and narrower, suitable for a long driveway, quiet road, after-hours car park or some such space. I'll get something measured up and posted within the next day or two, then we can start Round 2!

• Thanks 3

@mud4fun it's been sinking in.... I got Beaten by a 16 year old GIRL!! In a BUGGY!! 😲😳😜😂😂😂 

It was a ton of Fun though! I do know that if we should go purely Off-Road - I've got a couple of Pro level Crawlers.... And a heavily modded Axial Wraith with 10.5t Brushless System in her that's 6S Capable!!! 😲😈😜 

@TurnipJF, I really look forward to the NEXT one and beyond!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

@mud4fun it's been sinking in.... I got Beaten by a 16 year old GIRL!! In a BUGGY!! 😲😳😜😂😂😂 

It was a ton of Fun though! I do know that if we should go purely Off-Road - I've got a couple of Pro level Crawlers.... And a heavily modded Axial Wraith with 10.5t Brushless System in her that's 6S Capable!!! 😲😈😜 

@TurnipJF, I really look forward to the NEXT one and beyond!!

LOL, now you know how I feel after losing 10 straight games of warhammer to my 14 year old......

If it makes you feel any better, we measured the top speed of the two terra scorchers (on GPS) just before the race, mine was 25mph and hers was just 19mph. However on that tight course high top speed was largely irrelevant, instead it was more about power delivery around and out of the tight corners. Her relatively underpowered buggy just drove around the cones like she was out for a sunday drive whereas I was holding on for dear life trying to keep my power under control and not power rolling etc. My laps looked fast and exciting but I just couldn't believe that she managed to beat me, her laps looked so slow! :-(

With hindsight I think the Avante2001 would have done far better than the terra scorcher, it is low and suits high speed cornering on high grip surface (well, compared to my TS at least), I should have cobbled it back together to take part. Hopefully it will be back in action for the next round :-)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I had best get designing! I'm thinking something longer and narrower, suitable for a long driveway, quiet road, after-hours car park or some such space. I'll get something measured up and posted within the next day or two, then we can start Round 2!

Can't wait! :-)

I just need to sabotage my daughters cars first.............

I'm just relieved that my youngest was suffering from a cold and stayed indoors otherwise I may have been beaten by both of them......

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Longer and narrower sounds good to me; that way I can keep the whole thing on the concrete driveway... though the dual-surface idea was quite an interesting challenge.

But why am I the only one who chose silly unsuitable cars? Somebody with a Konghead had better run it in the next round...

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Longer and narrower sounds good to me; that way I can keep the whole thing on the concrete driveway... though the dual-surface idea was quite an interesting challenge.

But why am I the only one who chose silly unsuitable cars? Somebody with a Konghead had better run it in the next round...

You buy me one - I promise to run it!!! 😜😂😂 

@mud4fun remind me NOT to take on my 9yr old Granddaughter!! 😖

45 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

but why am I the only one who chose silly unsuitable cars? Somebody with a Konghead had better run it in the next round...

Hehe, I genuinely had no other car to run with as they are all in bits on various workbenches and kitchen sides around the house. I was tempted to run my modified Sand Scorcher but it required parts on order and the Bush Devil has broken suspension and the other three cars that were actually more suitable to use were the Avante, Vanquish and Egress which are undergoing full rebuilds, which only left the Terra Scorcher to use. 

I guess my crawler is actually operational but with a top speed of 0.000000001mph it may not have even completed 1 lap..... 

3 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

@mud4fun remind me NOT to take on my 9yr old Granddaughter!! 😖

LOL, kids have damned good reaction times and learn fast. Too damned fast. 

• Haha 1

I just don't know how @TurnipJF managed 48 laps, it must have been a blur going around, with a bit of practise I may have managed another 5 laps at best I think, could only dream of getting 48 in that time. No point in me getting a touring car chassis though, our garden hasn't got a single flat spot suitable for one and even that rec ground car park was covered in big twigs and had 20mm high lips between joints in the surface. Needed a buggy to drive it!

• Confused 1

I would LOVE to run THIS Bonafide Classic.... But at this time, it needs a Miracle - and an EXORCISM to bring it back!!! 😂😄😂😜  It's a project for next year. IMG_20200928_130805.thumb.jpg.060c04b2304901bdb3c449f02b0fc541.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

I did run my Konghead, but I wasn’t happy with the number of laps. So I was planning to run again in 4WS, but never got it done. So next time ;) 

11 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

I just don't know how @TurnipJF managed 48 laps, it must have been a blur going around, with a bit of practise I may have managed another 5 laps at best I think, could only dream of getting 48 in that time. No point in me getting a touring car chassis though, our garden hasn't got a single flat spot suitable for one and even that rec ground car park was covered in big twigs and had 20mm high lips between joints in the surface. Needed a buggy to drive it!

Never mind the blur, I had hard enough time keeping count!

I was using cones, but they tended to get skittles too easily, especially with the XV01 and me trying to apex the corners :D 

I wonder if I can make some heavy enough flat markers, or if crawler route markers would stay still better?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

I was using cones, but they tended to get skittles too easily, especially with the XV01 and me trying to apex the corners :D 

I wonder if I can make some heavy enough flat markers, or if crawler route markers would stay still better?

I was using 4 car jack-stands. Heavy enough to stay put, but made a loud "CLANG!" when I hit them (which happened more than I want to admit).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

Never mind the blur, I had hard enough time keeping count!

That is why I bought a lap monitor and transponders - avoids losing count (and claims of cheating from my kids) :-)

Sadly trying to fit the transponders somewhere suitable in a thundershot/terra scorcher has proven troublesome. I have now settled on having an extension lead to the receiver and mounting the transponder on the rear shock tower where the wing mount would be. I can do the same on the Avante2001/Vanquish too as that also has a nice space back there. 

13 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

Yeah, I have seen some heavy circular rubber pads in a youtube video a while back, slightly cambered and brightly coloured, maybe 8-10 inch in diameter. They would indeed be better than the cones, which I seemed to be drawn to like a magnet....

• Like 1

The lessons I have learned from this exercise have been amence, it's has got me out of that box where you have set up your chassis and then not done anything else.

So for a short tight course, it has to be all about bottom end no body roll. It's not all about how fast you can go. I could of used more drag brake, I'll be taking that into consideration of the next round.

This time I will be taking more time over the challenge, it's not about out on the track.

So thanks for this challenge it's just what I need to get out of that rut.

• Like 2

@jupitertwo maybe something like these?

https://www.networldsports.co.uk/forza-flat-disc-markers-all-colours.html

or these:

https://www.networldsports.co.uk/football/football-training-equipment/forza-football-training-marker-cones-multi-coloured.html

those wide cones look better than the very tall ones I have, buggy would tend to ride over them rather than knock them flying?

EDIT: I have just ordered a set of each, I'll report back which ones work best for us next week when they arrive. They will come in useful for other things too.

43 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

That is why I bought a lap monitor and transponders - avoids losing count (and claims of cheating from my kids) :-)

Sadly trying to fit the transponders somewhere suitable in a thundershot/terra scorcher has proven troublesome. I have now settled on having an extension lead to the receiver and mounting the transponder on the rear shock tower where the wing mount would be. I can do the same on the Avante2001/Vanquish too as that also has a nice space back there. 

Yeah, I have seen some heavy circular rubber pads in a youtube video a while back, slightly cambered and brightly coloured, maybe 8-10 inch in diameter. They would indeed be better than the cones, which I seemed to be drawn to like a magnet....

Yeah, the transponder idea seems nice, I’m interested to hear how it does with multiple cars to track. 

The flat disks seem ideal. The kids use those low cones at Rugbytots. They seem to move around the pitch quite a bit, but hopefully the buggies will just squish them. 

Another option is spray paint on the grass - it’ll grow out, right? :D 

• Like 2

I used canned food!! 😖😜  It's all I had.....

But I do have a bunch of Axial Gate Markers. They USED to give you 2-4 of them in each Kit - until the Horizon Takeover.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

But I do have a bunch of Axial Gate Markers. They USED to give you 2-4 of them in each Kit - until the Horizon Takeover.

"Nice tight line around Tuna Corner... ooh, swung a little wide at Refried Beans, that'll cost him a second or two..."

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

I used old ice-cream tubs, because that's all I had. I like you blue-peter attitude.

• Haha 1

Great results table @TurnipJF

I’ll hopefully get round to having a crack sometime. I thought the back of my garden would be big enough but measuring it out I had a foot of clearance one side next to a rock wall & a foot clearance the other before going down the bank into a creek 🤔. I’ll have to find another venue I think.

1 hour ago, DayRider said:

I used old ice-cream tubs, because that's all I had. I like you blue-peter attitude.

Sometimes.... I gotta do what I gotta do! 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mud4fun said:

I had a number of factors working in my favour.

• The running surface I had available was well-laid and barely used tarmac, which I swept free of debris beforehand.
  • The area I used was just a few doors down from our house, so I could go there over and over again, getting more practice and improving my lap count. My first run was in the low 30s and I improved incrementally from there.
  • The race-grade Sorex tyres I used were scrubbed in but not worn out, at the point where they provided optimum grip, and the weather was favourably warm but not too hot, putting the track surface at a temperature that suited the tyres very well.
  • The cars with which I achieved the 48 laps were my TB-03 and TT-02 Type S. The TB-03 is an excellent car out of the box, but mine has had all the plastics replaced with their carbon reinforced versions and has been shimmed to near-TRF levels of precision. The TT-02 Type S, while not as good out of the box as the TB-03, has had pretty much every worthwhile upgrade fitted and is now very close to the TB-03 in terms of performance. Both cars make even infrequent racers such as myself seem a lot more skilled than they actually are!
  • I tend to be quite conservative with my gearing, as one of the venues at which I raced pre-Coronapocalypse was in a small village hall and tracks were typically very tight and technical. This suited the compact course used in this round.
  • All the cars I drove have two bodyshells - a proper Tamiya  display one finished to a high standard, and a cheap, expendable runner shell. I could therefore push the limits without worrying about rolling and messing up a nice body. The touring cars used "race blob" shells for their runs, which probably also enhanced the cars' performance.
  • Each counted run was preceded by a warm-up session, which brought the tyres up to temp and helped me achieve a rhythm. Only once able to consistently drive clean laps did the stopwatch start and the counting begin.
  • The runs were timed and the laps were counted by my dear wife, which had two benefits. Firstly, I could concentrate on my driving. Secondly, having her watching gave me added motivation to drive well and impress her.

Much as I'd like to say it all came down to my impressive skills as a driver, I strongly suspect that a lot of people would have managed even more laps than me had they been running similarly-specced cars under the same conditions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2