TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

Youngest Mudlet, currently self isolating (because a kid in the same school bubble as her tested positive) was unable to go the rec ground so had to do her attempt on the lawn. She was not really in the mood as she is quite depressed just now so only did a couple of attempts with no practise. Over 6 months of this year so far being confined to the house and not seeing her friends or doing any of the normal activities she is used to is now taking its toll, the kids suffering more than the adults I think.

She has not driven the Vanquish on grass before and this was long wet grass covered in leaves and twigs so the poor buggy really struggled. She made a valiant attempt but definitely not up to her usual performance, completely different experience to driving on tarmac and the hard compound mini pins are now slightly worn after all the previous rounds racing on tarmac. 

She did however have fun with my thundershot based crawler (ultra low geared) and we both had a giggle as she had to do three (or more) point turns to get around each marker (both diffs still locked from the mud bogging competition). The crawler won't be challenging anybody in the postal racing but it actually managed more laps than we thought it would.:) (She got very adept at doing 3 point turns..... :D )

youngest_mudlet_round5 (1).jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Youngest Mudlet, currently self isolating (because a kid in the same school bubble as her tested positive) was unable to go the rec ground so had to do her attempt on the lawn. She was not really in the mood as she is quite depressed just now so only did a couple of attempts with no practise. Over 6 months of this year so far being confined to the house and not seeing her friends or doing any of the normal activities she is used to is now taking its toll, the kids suffering more than the adults I think.

She has not driven the Vanquish on grass before and this was long wet grass covered in leaves and twigs so the poor buggy really struggled. She made a valiant attempt but definitely not up to her usual performance, completely different experience to driving on tarmac and the hard compound mini pins are now slightly worn after all the previous rounds racing on tarmac. 

She did however have fun with my thundershot based crawler (ultra low geared) and we both had a giggle as she had to do three (or more) point turns to get around each marker (both diffs still locked from the mud bogging competition). The crawler won't be challenging anybody in the postal racing but it actually managed more laps than we thought it would.:) (She got very adept at doing 3 point turns..... :D )

youngest_mudlet_round5 (1).jpg

Its hard on young ones having their freedoms taken away hope the wee one gets back on form soon :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Managed to snap a couple more rounds in the daylight today, much better feeling and more fun, besides some pood idiot that just had to park his car righ by me even though the whole lot was empty and he clearly saw what I was doing (I congratulate myself for keeping the cool instead of giving him a piece of my mind).

I got better results, although once again only by one lap. And the pins on front tires are almost gone already.

20201121-155040.jpg

Much better to run in the daylight lol 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

Managed to snap a couple more rounds in the daylight today, much better feeling and more fun, besides some pood idiot that just had to park his car righ by me even though the whole lot was empty and he clearly saw what I was doing (I congratulate myself for keeping the cool instead of giving him a piece of my mind).

I got better results, although once again only by one lap. And the pins on front tires are almost gone already.

Much better to run in the daylight lol 

Wow, loving the colours on that Manta Ray!!! :):wub:

and well done for keeping your cool, don't worry, we have that with our local supermarket, I park at the very back of an acre of empty car park to avoid any car park dings on my new truck and I return to find somebody parked 3" from my door despite there being 1000 empty spaces...... :o :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Got some Off-Road in first with 4 cars.

Loose dusty dirt/gravel is always great fun :)

You hardly get more than 1/2 throttle on tight courses, and to hot a motor just has the car spinning out. It's funny how a different style works for different 2WD's, take it wide and smooth drifting worked mainly. But the 4WD Kyosho Scorcher just ripped it up and could handle a much tighter line most of the time. With being easier on battery drain at less throttle meant for longer run times. Great day all in all.

A9058965-DE75-4C4E-8B05-BE8F31DDF8FC.jpg

232F3B53-6F12-42A3-A4F6-BB5A5D0EE029.jpg

36B8D52F-CBCB-411B-8F40-65B38C63CA50.jpg

• Like 7

I'd also taken the Mini and had plenty of juice in the batteries to give it a run to ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I'd also taken the Mini and had plenty of juice in the batteries to give it a run to ;)

Nice to see another M-08 giving it a go. I look forward to seeing how our lap counts compare. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EvilSpike said:

Just released, images of a Lunchbox in it's natural racing environment...

2020-11-21 12.27.48

OMG!! Thank you! 😊👍👍

Laughter is still the best Medicine!! I NEEDED that.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

OMG!! Thank you! 😊👍👍

Laughter is still the best Medicine!! I NEEDED that.

How are you feeling now

• Thanks 1

Encouraged by others who have been entering trucks into the contest, I thought I might do likewise and give it a go with my Aqroshot:

2020-11-22_03-24-12

Although not as quick as the dedicated on-road cars I have used so far in this round, it has been my quickest offroader so far. Admittedly I have yet to give my TT-02B and Thundershot their runs, so this might change by the end of the round, but I was quite pleased by how easy it was to bring the tail around with a slight dab of brake, then get it heading in a straight line again as soon as I came back on the throttle. It made its way around the hairpins at the tops of the "U" very neatly.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

Encouraged by others who have been entering trucks into the contest, I thought I might do likewise and give it a go with my Aqroshot:

2020-11-22_03-24-12

Although not as quick as the dedicated on-road cars I have used so far in this round, it has been my quickest offroader so far. Admittedly I have yet to give my TT-02B and Thundershot their runs, so this might change by the end of the round, but I was quite pleased by how easy it was to bring the tail around with a slight dab of brake, then get it heading in a straight line again as soon as I came back on the throttle. It made its way around the hairpins at the tops of the "U" very neatly.

That is excellent to hear TurnipJF, as you know, youngest mudlet has asked Father Xmas for an Agroshot. She will be delighted to see how yours has done :) 

EDIT. Do the Mad Bull/Lunchbox wheels fit straight on the Agroshot? 

After queuing 90 minutes for the recycling centre, my run time was a little reduced. 
managed to get two runs in, thought I’d use something familiar and something not

ED595C02-F937-4847-9E54-838BBD3ABF7E.jpg

TB05 was a lot of fun, making me want to take it to a full size track when lock down ever finishes.

Mini-z was funny, even getting better performance as it’s tyres warmed up. I’ll have to find it some peppier batteries and look up what hop ups are available, the Duracell’s only doing so much. I was a little concerned mid run that it might catch the outdoor run lap counts, but in the end blushes were saved.

I had 3 other entrants to run with me, sadly some tiktoking youths put me off. You’d think a five storey empty car park would have enough space for the both of us, but they chose my floor for their antics near some inappropriate graffiti. Still one week left though eh? :D

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

After queuing 90 minutes for the recycling centre, my run time was a little reduced. 
managed to get two runs in, thought I’d use something familiar and something not

TB05 was a lot of fun, making me want to take it to a full size track when lock down ever finishes.

Mini-z was funny, even getting better performance as it’s tyres warmed up. I’ll have to find it some peppier batteries and look up what hop ups are available, the Duracell’s only doing so much. I was a little concerned mid run that it might catch the outdoor run lap counts, but in the end blushes were saved.

I had 3 other entrants to run with me, sadly some tiktoking youths put me off. You’d think a five storey empty car park would have enough space for the both of us, but they chose my floor for their antics near some inappropriate graffiti. Still one week left though eh? :D

That image is surreal!!! :D (had my mind a bit confused as I was thinking is that an RC car next to very small real car or what?) 

90mins for the recycle centre? LOL, you'd be lucky to ever see anybody at our recycling centre.......mainly because they are only open at times that 99% of the population are at work :lol:

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

ED595C02-F937-4847-9E54-838BBD3ABF7E.jpg

I too thought that was a very small real car close to an RC one! 

That shell's got mean looks. Will you leave the masking tape on intentionally for good or you're going to peel it off eventually? 

Looks like some car interior of a post apocalyptic world, just like the screen of a broken TV!

• Like 3

I also have to laugh, how many Forza football markers have been sold this year for postal racing use LOL

• Haha 4

Hi Folks,

I took my pumpkin out to give this my first go on the local basketball court.  Little bit wet on the ground which made the going pretty easy, the car was sliding nicely and not tipping over too readily.  I did have one big roll which flung one of the rear wheels off and ended the fun.  Lesson learned to always pack the wrench! 

I didn't get very far with Laptrax, and then lost count twice trying to do a manual timer and counting the laps.  It wasn't very many...  But I'll still need to go down and have another go tomorrow I reckon.  How do you folks set the Laptrax up?  I couldn't see an option to just count laps, do you just set a really  high number of "Max Laps" and a 5 minute race limit?  How about the motion/colour sensing, on a track like this one would it count a lap if you went through the line in either direction?

Thanks

Adam

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mud4fun said:

That is excellent to hear TurnipJF, as you know, youngest mudlet has asked Father Xmas for an Agroshot. She will be delighted to see how yours has done :) 

EDIT. Do the Mad Bull/Lunchbox wheels fit straight on the Agroshot? 

The Lunch Box wheels have a different fitment at the rear, but the Mad Bull ones are a standard 12mm hex fit with no changes or extra parts required. The tyres fit with no additional trimming of the shell too, which is nice.

Depending on the terrain you want to run on, you have the choice of the Mad Bull tyres with the plain chevrons as seen in my photos, or the softer spiked chevrons as sold with the Heavy Dump. While quickly worn out on tarmac, they work superbly on grass and are also a direct fit on the Mad Bull wheels.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ExmouthAdam said:

Hi Folks,

I took my pumpkin out to give this my first go on the local basketball court.  Little bit wet on the ground which made the going pretty easy, the car was sliding nicely and not tipping over too readily.  I did have one big roll which flung one of the rear wheels off and ended the fun.  Lesson learned to always pack the wrench! 

I didn't get very far with Laptrax, and then lost count twice trying to do a manual timer and counting the laps.  It wasn't very many...  But I'll still need to go down and have another go tomorrow I reckon.  How do you folks set the Laptrax up?  I couldn't see an option to just count laps, do you just set a really  high number of "Max Laps" and a 5 minute race limit?  How about the motion/colour sensing, on a track like this one would it count a lap if you went through the line in either direction?

Thanks

Adam

Hi Adam, yes we had same problem even with our transponder equipped cars and a LapMonitor base station. We used to use LapTrax and it works fine with one car at a time BUT you need to manually press the timer to count the laps, if you choose the sensor version it will count the car going in both directions. We even had this issue with our transponders so we actually changed our start/finish line to be up near the top left hairpin and set the base station in the middle of the track about 1m south of the top left marker, pointing outwards (left). That way it would only record the car once per lap. The cars would go behind the base station in one direction and only cross in front and get counted once per lap. We actually ran the track in the opposite direction to that suggested, we started 1m before the top left hairpin and drove up and around that turn. Probably cost us 0.5 seconds on the initial lap but overall it wouldn't make nay difference to overall lap counts.

57 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

I too thought that was a very small real car close to an RC one! 

That shell's got mean looks. Will you leave the masking tape on intentionally for good or you're going to peel it off eventually? 

Looks like some car interior of a post apocalyptic world, just like the screen of a broken TV!

I never thought to try to throw perspective, might have to try if I allow it out again.The mini-z bodies are very nice, quite durable too.

yeah, I’ll get round to stickers and taking the window masks off one day. I was too eager to get it out running a couple of weeks ago, not got back to a stickering evening yet. The black does suit it nicely, I don’t think I’ll put the wing on, leave that for the shelfer. 

I had another all black ( finished though! ) bodied car ready to go too. Hopefully another day as it look good under the electric light too

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The Lunch Box wheels have a different fitment at the rear, but the Mad Bull ones are a standard 12mm hex fit with no changes or extra parts required. The tyres fit with no additional trimming of the shell too, which is nice.

Depending on the terrain you want to run on, you have the choice of the Mad Bull tyres with the plain chevrons as seen in my photos, or the softer spiked chevrons as sold with the Heavy Dump. While quickly worn out on tarmac, they work superbly on grass and are also a direct fit on the Mad Bull wheels.

Thanks for that, we actually have a few different aftermarket wheels and tyres that are designed for Mad Bull/Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin, we used them on the King Blackfoot in this round (as shown in pic). They are soft compound and low profile and are much grippier than the mad bull/chevrons so good to know they'll fit on the Agroshot. :)

king_blackfoot_round5 (2).jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Nice to see another M-08 giving it a go. I look forward to seeing how our lap counts compare. 

They are just a fun drive, somehow I feel my laps to yours will hardly be a comparison, more like lottery numbers.

Some stickier tyres (still on the kit ones from my M05) and just using the M08 for the day would probably improve my laps, although I do feel I’m getting to know it more and more as time goes on 😃

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

This put the Aqroshot high on my want list when I first saw it. It would make a great beach runner and I have a set of SandPaw clad Blitzer wheels that would fit on there. I came close to buying the the one in Sales on here but then the Fighting Buggy re-re was announced, and that’s always been the one that got away for me 😉

• Like 3