TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

2020-11-24_10-16-33

Is that a Big Trak?

You programmed it to lap consistently and poked off down the pub to the drinks cabinet didn't you?

I like your style sir, touché!

• Haha 4

Arrhh! no way! I put my times in last weekend thinking that was the deadline, is that the time that counts or can I put a new time in? Looks like its going to be a dry one this weekend.

1 hour ago, DayRider said:

Arrhh! no way! I put my times in last weekend thinking that was the deadline, is that the time that counts or can I put a new time in? Looks like its going to be a dry one this weekend.

You can make/submit as many attempts as you like before the deadline, and your fastest one with each car/motor/terrain combo will show in the final results. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DayRider said:

Yes, the round was extended to 3 weeks due to the bad weather and dark evenings making it very difficult to guarantee a big enough weather window to get runs in.

It has rained here pretty much every day for weeks. Most of our attempts this round have been on the lawn because quite frankly, in the wet, there is a not a huge difference in times between wet grass and the tarmac car park covered in standing water! :lol:

I managed a couple of dry runs over a week ago, the last time it was dry here but since we can just squeeze this track onto the lawn it made a nice change to run on something other than tarmac. Good news is that so far not had a single breakage of any car this round. Done approx 800 laps in total across all the cars and they were running within 3 feet of concrete kerbs or fences etc. Quite chuffed with that. Instead I just have a set of filthy buggies - wet muddy grass results in alot more after race cleaning than running on tarmac! :)

• Like 2

All power packs are charged, the sun is out and the tarmac is dry ish. Best of luck everyone. Let's do this!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DayRider said:

All power packs are charged, the sun is out and the tarmac is dry ish. Best of luck everyone. Let's do this!

My day was filled with "adulting" but I'm still hoping to squeeze a run in tomorrow!

• Like 2

This round ends at midnight GMT, and I will try to get the final results table posted as soon as possible after this point, so please get your results to me via P.M. as soon as you can.

Thanks, and good luck with your runs!

All prepped this morning, batteries charged, gear packed, 11 month old fed and ready for a nap in the car. 

Get to my multi storey car park venue, to find it’s closed for maintenance.

However, while driving round making sure Small was asleep, I thought of another long term car park. Quick sortie to discover it’s a lot bigger than I thought and less likely to be used by tiktokers :P

Two new additions to my postal crew today

F3F52D77-0DCF-4403-8862-CB7D30D429C9.jpg

TA07Pro and CC01 Low Rider. CC01 has form from speed runs (though it now just has a silver can). TA07 has never turned a wheel outside of checks.

Filling the third slot in my bag was my TB05, favourite runner at the moment.

BC697219-EC25-4023-A971-3D6621C5B2EB.jpg 

TB05 felt good, improved on the previous outing from two weeks ago. Surface is identical, so I’m hoping that’s my confidence.

TA07 took a while to get going. 1st attempt was reasonable, but 2nd session after I’d done one rotation of each I got to within a lap of the TB05. Different motors, so perhaps the TA07 wants to stretch it’s legs more. I think I noticed the slower servo too, so I might do some upgrading perhaps to help me understand.

CC01 was interesting. Not ‘fun’, but good, with a respectable (for me) lap count - more than any of my outdoor counts. Only a silver can, so there’s temptation there to increase the power to increase the giggles. That might expose the stock steering more, and I’m going to look in to the large toe out it seems to have at the front. 

Overall, I’ve really liked this layout. Simple to set up, doesn’t require a lot of space and something I can run in the garden and in a quiet venue. I think it must be quite a leveller, as the throttle is never really full open for my motor choices. TB05 with a brushless vs a CC01 with a silver can within 15% of the lap count. Outdoors though, my space is too tight to really progress I think.

• Like 3

@jupitertwo that TA07 is QUITE a nice Chassis! Cool body too. 😎 I believe that once you get it dialed in, will end up being one of your best runners. I'd love to get one myself.... Maybe put it on the next year List.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Overall, I’ve really liked this layout. Simple to set up, doesn’t require a lot of space and something I can run in the garden and in a quiet venue. I think it must be quite a leveller, as the throttle is never really full open for my motor choices. TB05 with a brushless vs a CC01 with a silver can within 15% of the lap count. Outdoors though, my space is too tight to really progress I think.

I think the mudlets and I feel the opposite :D

Yes it was easy to setup, didn't need much space and was a lot trickier than it first looked which was all good BUT....

We didn't have anywhere locally that was large enough so a 4m wide track means at the rec ground carpark we had concrete kerb 3 feet from two cones and on the other side we had a deep leaf covered flower bed/hedge within 3 feet of the other two cones. We had to really be careful and cut in tight to the cones. The worry over hitting the kerb meant we didn't really enjoy that so much, had to really slow down and didn't dare power round and drift and that hurt all our times, mudlets gave up in the end, just too fearful of damage. We could just manage to squeeze the track onto the lawn but again, a fence within 3 feet one side and a 6" drop onto gravel path 3 feet the other side.

We actually have quite a large garden but it is amazing how when you got to lay out the track you find shrubs, paths or concrete washing line posts right in your way! This proved especially tricky with the Sand Scorcher, King Blackfoot and Crawler as none of them had sufficiently good turning circle to make it around the hairpins in the space available without doing 3 point turns.....

Net result is our lap counts were very low this round, especially the mudlets. It didn't help that it rained for so much of this round.

I was so excited to finally get my Sand Scorcher running again after 15 years and it was hysterical fun to drive but sadly the old mad bull chevron pattern tyres on it have no traction on wet grass, especially not with the lack of rear diff pushing the front tyres onwards in a straight line rather than around the turn. It would have done better on dry tarmac so I have that to look forward to in a future round but I will try and get some new tyres for it, could do with some spikes really, will see if I can get some Schumacher 1/8th nitro truck tyres and wheels to fit or something similar. Definately needs spikes on the wet lawn. My thundershot did very well on the grass with full spikes.

I'm planning to re-landscape my garden next year, will remove part of the veg garden and part of the patio area to make the lawn much longer and will be widening the dirt tracks that form the main straights for our garden track so they will become 2 - 2.5m wide and up to 18m long so we can increase our garden track lap time to about 15-20 seconds depending on how we lay the temporary sections out on the lawn. Looking forward to that. The mudlets driving skills and speeds have improved so much this year (in most part to due to postal racing) that we need a much larger more professional garden track. Will be edging it with flexible pipe too to minimise damage to cars. I also now have a large tablet that mounts on a tripod so we can have our lapmonitor positions and times easily viewable by us all while we are racing. :)

3 hours ago, Carmine A said:

@jupitertwo that TA07 is QUITE a nice Chassis! Cool body too. 😎 I believe that once you get it dialed in, will end up being one of your best runners. I'd love to get one myself.... Maybe put it on the next year List.

I must admit, I wouldn't mind one myself it's on the list.

• Like 1

Beautiful day! I was starting to find my groove and had a pretty good run going, but then the motor blew up. That's racing though, eh? :rolleyes:

racingbypost_R05_113020.jpg

• Like 4

I too was hoping to get one last try in today, but it was way too snowy and wet to even dream about it, so my lap count of two weeks ago will have to do.

A late good luck to everybody trying this round before midnight!! B)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, El Gecko said:

the motor blew up.

Well, not quite "blown up"... the autopsy showed foul play. One of the timed motor brushes was put in backwards when fixing the broken wire last week. Glad it was a simple fix and the motor isn't totally fried, but the driver is going to have some harsh words for the mechanic after this!

• Haha 3

Good Luck Guys!!! 😊💯

I'm still running a fever and the Doctor (AND Wife) won't let me go outside. 😖  .... We're having an odd cold snap here. It was 31°F today (0°C!!!) For ARIZONA, that's *******in COLD! ❄ So I'm not allowed to even attempt a run. 😭

But I'll be Back! ✌

• Like 3

Laps: Participant: Chassis: Motor: Battery: Surface: Weight: Best lap:
42 TurnipJF TT-02 Type S 13.5t Bluebottle 2S LiPo tarmac   7.02s
41 TurnipJF M-07 (225mm) 13.5t Speed Passion 2S Lipo tarmac   7.27s
41 ryback TT-02 Type S Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH tarmac    
40 ryback F104 Pro II Silver can 7.2V NiMH tarmac    
40 TurnipJF M-08 (225mm) 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo tarmac   7.18s
40 TurnipJF Thundershot "Grey Knight" GT Tuned 2S LiPo tarmac 1561g 7.31s
40 jupitertwo TB-05 15.5t Brushless 2S LiPo concrete    
39 TurnipJF M-06 (210mm) 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo tarmac   7.41s
39 jupitertwo TA-07 10.5t Brushless 2S LiPo concrete    
38 TurnipJF M-05 (225mm) 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo tarmac   7.59s
38 Ferruz DF-01 Manta Ray 13.5t Bluebottle 7.2V NiMH
cracked tarmac (w)

37 TurnipJF DT-03T "Aggroshot" 10.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo tarmac   7.87s
36 Mrs Turnip Rising Fighter "Gonzo" 27t Etronix 7.2V NiMH tarmac (W)    
35 TurnipJF Grasshopper Black Edition Mabuchi 380 7.2V NiMH tarmac    
35 TurnipJF M-04L Silver can 7.2V NiMH tarmac    
35 TurnipJF TL-01B Baja King "Spike" Silver can 7.2V NiMH grass    
34 Mud4fun Thundershot "Stig Eater" 13t Dyna Run Super Tuning 2S LiPo tarmac 1467g 8.31s
33 jupitertwo CC-01 Low Rider Silver can 2S LiPo concrete    
32 Mud4fun Thundershot "Stig Eater" 13t Dyna Run Super Tuning 2S LiPo grass (W) 1489g 8.60s
31 Mud4fun Avante 2001 "Purple Pig" 13r Dyna Run Super Tuning 2S LiPo tarmac (W/G) 1557g 8.83s
31 SupraChrgd82 3Racing M4 17.5t Hobbywing 7.2V NiMH tarmac    
31 Middle Mudlet Terra Scorcher 22t Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem 7.2V NiMH tarmac 1604g  
30 Mud4fun Vanquish Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH grass (W) 1666g  
30 EvilSpike Terra Scorcher Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH tarmac 1725g  
29 Ministrone Frog ORV Sport Tuned 2S LiPo tarmac (W)   9.00s
29 jupitertwo XV-01 17.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo grass (W)    
27 El Gecko Blackfoot Point Blank ROAR 27T 7.2V NiMH tarmac 1772g 9.82s
26 EvilSpike Vanessa's Lunch Box Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH tarmac 2200g  
25 jupitertwo XV-01T Silver can 2S LiPo grass (W)    
25 jupitertwo Monster Beetle Sport Tuned 2S LiPo grass (W)    
23 jupitertwo CC-01 Tamiya CR Tuned 2S LiPo grass (W)    
22 El Gecko Grasshopper Silver Can 7.2V NiMH tarmac 1534g 10.69s
22 Youngest Mudlet Vanquish Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH grass (W) 1666g  
20 TurnipJF G6-01 SWAT Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH tarmac (W)    
18 Mud4fun King Blackfoot 14t Mtroniks 8.4V NiCad grass (W/M)   15.00s
18 jupitertwo Kyosho Mini-Z MR-03 Stock motor 4XAAA Alkaline concrete    
17 Ministrone CC-01 Unimog 55t brushed 7.2V NiMH grass    
14 Mud4fun Sand Scorcher DIY Monster 22t Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem 2S LiPo grass (W)    
5 Youngest Mudlet Thunderfoot (Custom Crawler) Cordless Drill Motor 7.2V NiCad grass (W) 3970g  
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Thanks and congratulations @TurnipJF, and congratulations to Mrs Turnip too!.

Pretty dismal results for the mud household this time but only takeaway from this was that my consistency improved to the point I got 4 cars within 4 laps of each other across multiple surfaces and conditions. Oh and we never broke anything this round at all :)

PS. Are you missing a result from @jupitertwo

PPS. Being beaten by a Grasshopper is a low blow :wacko:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

Mine are missing 🤔 Not that they are worth seeing now everyone else’s are out 😂

Man alive that BEGH rips @TurnipJF!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

PPS. Being beaten by a Grasshopper is a low blow 

And a Rising Fighter too, don't forget that.

Anyway, if anyone wants me I'll be in the corner, hanging my head in shame!

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, EvilSpike said:

And a Rising Fighter too, don't forget that.

Anyway, if anyone wants me I'll be in the corner, hanging my head in shame!

:D

Thanks for reminding me, that just makes it worse :lol::)

I didn't even manage to get wooden spoon with my Sand Scorcher because youngest Mudlet entered my crawler. Will ban that next time! :D

2 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

that just makes it worse

Yes. Yes it does!

Especially as it makes it abundantly clear that operator error has reared it's ugly head again. With gay abandon!

• Haha 3

As @jupitertwo said for his cars, my fast buggies were not really able to get much better than our slower ones because we could barely put a 0.25 second blip of the throttle and it would be enough to catapult from one corner to next and potentially overshoot. I certainly spent most of my lap distance slowing down..... :D (there were nasty car destroying obstacles sat in wait of any overshooting the turns...)

In fact, to prove that point, I dropped pinion size on my thundershot but not my Avante, the Avante2001 had a top speed of 38mph, the thundershot just 29mph but the Thundershot got 3 more laps! Not a track for fast buggies in the hands of a mediocre driver (me)... ^_^ and middle mudlets terra scorcher with a top speed of just 19mph matched the Avante2001 too!!!!

5 hours ago, mud4fun said:

4 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Mine are missing 🤔 Not that they are worth seeing now everyone else’s are out 😂

Sorry to hear that! Mine are there but a bit incorrect (my best lap count being 38 not 36), duly sent a PM, hopefully @TurnipJF will update the list with the missing results when possible :rolleyes:

Personally I'm guilty of sending a few PM every time I scored a personal best, might be hard to keep tracking of everybody's result...

Anyway congrats everybody!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ferruz said:

Personally I'm guilty of sending a few PM every time I scored a personal best, might be hard to keep tracking of everybody's result...

Yeah, I sent about 7, one for each day's attempts. Will try to avoid that in future and just send through our final best attempts in one go to avoid filling Turnips mailbox up.

• Like 1

My apologies for the errors in the results, if anybody has spotted a fault with their results please feel free to let me know and I will update them later this evening. Not sure what happened there, I thought I was on top of it!

• Thanks 2