TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

5 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

My apologies for the errors in the results, if anybody has spotted a fault with their results please feel free to send me a message and I will update them later this evening. Not sure what happened there, I thought I was on top of it!

No worries, thanks for updating them (pm already sent) and thanks for taking care of the whole thing for us all once again! 

• Like 2

We could, at this point, do with knowing that @TurnipJF and his wife are child prodigies and won Euro or World RC championships at age 8????? to offset the despair at being beaten by a grasshopper and rising fighter.... :D:ph34r::lol: (I won't even mention the agroshot that youngest Mudlet has asked for from Santa)

I will revise my previous estimate of when I may beat Turnips thundershot, to Round 1000.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There appears to be something up with my PM inbox - I have only just received the results for @jupitertwo, and I haven't received a PM from @Ferruz yet. @Re-Bugged please resend me your results too if you have them - it would be a pity not to have them recorded.

• Like 1

Regarding Round 6:

I would like to pass my track-choosing privileges to @mud4fun and the Mudlets if that is okay with everyone - I think we would all benefit from a fresh track designer, and I know my last design disadvantaged them quite severely.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

There appears to be something up with my PM inbox - I have only just received the results for @jupitertwo, and I haven't received a PM from @Ferruz yet. @Re-Bugged please resend me your results too if you have them - it would be a pity not to have them recorded.

Oh that is weird! I guess it's just down to some clogging of your inbox...

Anyway, I took a screenshot of the last two PMs I've sent you: one with the actual result, the next to ask you to update the results shortly after they were out. The date is displayed so you can see I didn't cheat :D

Screenshot-20201130-160658-Chrome.jpg

Hope this is "official" enough for you to update my result lol

Thank you

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Oh that is weird! I guess it's just down to some clogging of your inbox...

Anyway, I took a screenshot of the last two PMs I've sent you: one with the actual result, the next to ask you to update the results shortly after they were out. The date is displayed so you can see I didn't cheat :D

Screenshot-20201130-160658-Chrome.jpg

Hope this is "official" enough for you to update my result lol

Thank you

Thanks - that's fine. Results duly updated.

Wow! I did better than expected, particularly with the CC01 Unimog. Looking forward to the next round now, hopefully with the Christmas holidays, I can get a few more laps in.

• Like 3

Thanks once again to everyone who has taken part. I have amended the results table in my earlier post, but if anyone else is still missing results or needs them edited, please let me know.

For my part, I am very happy to see the wide variety of vehicles people are entering. In particular I am pleased to see more touring cars taking part and giving my M-chassis and TT-02 Type S a bit of competition. It was also nice to see the F104 Pro II doing so well. Gives me a mind to take my F104V2 Pro a run too.

This track layout was far more of a leveller than I thought it would be, with power not appearing to play a big role in the results. The TT-02 Type Ses of @ryback and myself were only one lap apart, despite mine having a 13.5t brushless motor and his a Torque Tuned. Same with Mrs Turnip's Rising Fighter and my Grasshopper, separated by only one lap despite one having a stock 380 and the other a 27t 540 with advanced timing.

I look forward to seeing how everyone performs on the next track layout!

• Like 2

Thanks for updating and thanks everybody for participating! 

For what regards me, this time it seems that I've improved and I'm quite happy with my result! 10th position overall and 4th as a driver, almost hard to believe :ph34r::o well, to my humble standards it's a lot:D

Might as well pop a bottle of bubbly and enjoy the "glory" 🍾, as from now on I'm 99% sure I'll have to run every round on snow for the next 5 months... I won't be competitive, but at least I'll be able to enter more vehicles! My Big Boss is eager to fight for that spoon, and when I finish building the Terra Scorcher it too will obviously participate.

Well done everybody, I look forward to seeing the next layout.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Regarding Round 6:

I would like to pass my track-choosing privileges to @mud4fun and the Mudlets if that is okay with everyone - I think we would all benefit from a fresh track designer, and I know my last design disadvantaged them quite severely.

Thank you TurnipJF but honestly, you don't need to do that. As Carmine said a while back, each different round suits different cars. In our case it is mainly having a lack of space for the wider tracks that causes us problems, compounded this time by youngest mudlet being stuck at home self isolating so limited to running on the lawn.  The tarmac area we have access to locally is very long but narrow, hence why round 2 suited us better.

However I'm happy to knock up a design with assistance from the mudlets, will try to keep it simple. I'll post it later to see what you think. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, El Gecko said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Yeah,  youngest mudlet loves driving my DIY crawler. She is currently building her own, just like mine.

It uses a big torquey motor out of an old drill that I took apart. The motor is then bolted to an aeroplane propeller reduction gearbox which is then mounted to a thundershot rear gearbox mounted vertically in the middle of the chassis and used as a transfer case. From that two traxxas propshafts run to a pair of thundershot front gearboxes/suspension assemblies used as axles with their arms locked at maximum droop for maximum under diff clearance.

Yes, this is essentially a heavily modified Thundershot!!

The truck has gear ratio of 65:1 at the moment and still has locked diffs (from a mud bog event). 

It is our most reliable vehicle, having been built in 2003 and used almost continually since with no breakages and no real maintenance either. It gets a wash once a year :D

thunderfoot (6).jpg

• Like 5

@TurnipJF is this OK? kept simple, just 4 markers required in a 10m x 2m form. Has a little twisty section and a couple of longer straights.

track_plan_round6.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

@TurnipJF is this OK? kept simple, just 4 markers required in a 10m x 2m form. Has a little twisty section and a couple of longer straights.

track_plan_round6.jpg

That looks great! Let Round 6 begin! 

Given the winter weather, shall we set the the round length at 3 weeks again?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, TurnipJF said:

That looks great! Let Round 6 begin! 

Given the winter weather, shall we set the the round length at 3 weeks again?

Thanks. Yes agreed, 3 weeks much appreciated with current weather.

• Like 1

Right, so it is official then! Here is our Round 6 layout, courtesy of Mud4fun and the Mudlets:

track_plan_round6.jpg

Same rules as usual:

• Mark out the above layout on the surface of your choice.
  • Run the car(s) of your choice around it for 5 minutes, counting your laps with the method of your choice.
  • When you get to 5 minutes, finish the lap you are on and submit your lap count to me via P.M.
  • Please also let me know which car, which motor and which battery you used, as well as the surface you were running on.
  • Optionally you can also include your best lap time and your vehicle weight as well as whether the ground was wet or not.
  • The round runs until midnight GMT on Sunday the 20th of December.

Good luck everybody! Hope you all have fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nice Track Ian!! 👌

It's almost too bad I won't get any Snow... That would give my Wraith and SCX10 II Comanche a solid chance! 😉 

I still have the same knackered Tire problem - but the Mrs. should allow me to get out and give it a go. Nice flat out runs, without too many Tire killing Curves. At least my TT-02S SM RRRR GT4 will be ready!

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

Nice Track Ian!! 👌

It's almost too bad I won't get any Snow... That would give my Wraith and SCX10 II Comanche a solid chance! 😉 

I still have the same knackered Tire problem - but the Mrs. should allow me to get out and give it a go. Nice flat out runs, without too many Tire killing Curves. At least my TT-02S SM RRRR GT4 will be ready!

Thanks.

Yes if we got snow then the crawler, king Blackfoot and monster scorcher may all redeem themselves :lol:

While the round6 track looks fast at first glance, that 2m semi figure 8 is trickier than it looks on paper! I have laid it out on lawn and you can't run wide or you'll lose line for next turn. Gonna be a challenge for the buggies but hopefully the poor Avante and vanquish may stand a chance of beating the Thundershot on this one as they turn tighter :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

When you get to 5 minutes, finish the lap you are on and submit your lap count to me via P.M.

You know, I really should have read the rules before now. I've just been counting the one I was currently on.

"Stimpy you imbecile!"

• Haha 3

@mud4fun The end bits are nice and tight, and will definitely test your braking abilities... But I like those long wide sweeping runs too!! 

I would never say that the Course is EASY.... but it won't destroy Tires as fast as other tight, curve laden Courses. I honestly LIKED it! 😊

• Thanks 1

LOL @EvilSpike thankfully the lap monitor does that for us, beeps to say 5 mins is up but if you go through like 0.3 seconds before that, it keeps the clock running till you go through the finish line again. That is why alot of our total race durations are actually 308 seconds because I have an uncanny knack of slipping through just before the 5 mins mark :) 

The mudlets haven't quite got the hang of this yet which is why I have beaten them by 1 lap on a couple of races now. :)

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

It was also nice to see the F104 Pro II doing so well. Gives me a mind to take my F104V2 Pro a run too.

Do it do it! I'll be running my F1 again alongside the TT-02, although I'll need the stars to align to get dry tarmac plus daylight plus a spare hour. Tried the F1 on damp tarmac yesterday - jeepers. Major traction issues! Didn't seem too bad with the 4WD touring car.

Also thought it was interesting I was slower with the F1 than the touring car. Didn't have much traction even in the dry with the F104 kit rubber tyres, barely used any throttle for the twisty wk5 track. I'd be interested to see if others can get more of the potential out of the faster machine!

56 minutes ago, ryback said:

Do it do it! I'll be running my F1 again alongside the TT-02, although I'll need the stars to align to get dry tarmac plus daylight plus a spare hour. Tried the F1 on damp tarmac yesterday - jeepers. Major traction issues! Didn't seem too bad with the 4WD touring car.

Also thought it was interesting I was slower with the F1 than the touring car. Didn't have much traction even in the dry with the F104 kit rubber tyres, barely used any throttle for the twisty wk5 track. I'd be interested to see if others can get more of the potential out of the faster machine!

Out of curiosity, were you running LiPo? Just wondering because I have seen alot of people on YouTube complaining of poor traction BUT wasn't this car designed back when much heavier NiCds would have been the common battery? Just wondering if using a LiPo results in car being too light for width of tyres?

I was considering buying a 2nd hand one to see what they were like, it was a toss up between an F1 car (maybe even new Schumacher one) or a racing truck....

23 hours ago, mud4fun said:

We could, at this point, do with knowing that @TurnipJF and his wife are child prodigies and won Euro or World RC championships at age 8????? to offset the despair at being beaten by a grasshopper and rising fighter.... :D:ph34r::lol: (I won't even mention the agroshot that youngest Mudlet has asked for from Santa)

I will revise my previous estimate of when I may beat Turnips thundershot, to Round 1000.....

Nope, no Euro or World championships to our names. However she is a microbiologist and I am an electronics engineer, so we are both used to working with very tiny things. Perhaps this has somehow translated to some sort of RC driving advantage related to fine motor skills? Although personally, I think that it is my shift cycle and her ability to do some of her work from home which give us our biggest advantages, allowing us plenty of time to practice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ryback said:

Last time I took my F1 out, I was faster with it than I was with my touring car, although that may have been because I was running my TC on Sorex 36Rs with no traction compound, and my F1 was on Enneti foams with SXT 3.0 traction compound. F104 + rubber tyres + damp tarmac sounds like a recipe for disaster!