TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

A few false starts and aborted runs, not limited to:

• Endpoint set to low for kiddie drivers, so little speed
  • twigs stuck in the rear arms
  • receiver making a bid for freedom
  • tyres coming of the rims - seems that silcone sealent degrades?
  • numerous grip roles due to the instant drag brake the crawler esc setting

However, we got there, CC01 run completed!

IMG_1939.jpg

At one stage I thought I was going to beat my XV01 lap count, thankfully in the end I didn't get too close. Probably due to this truck being able to mount the paving slabs if I went wide, vs the XV01 painfully grinding it's body shell down them :D

I think with harder tyres and a little less aggressive drag brake, there's a couple more laps out there.

Next up I think I'll have to give the XV01T a try, and perhaps see if I can coax a Monster Beetle around the tight confines of the garden.

• Like 4

Had a go at it on Sunday, and feelin’ good about my numbers.  Not that I stand a chance against y’all, but I feel confident that I didn’t suck as bad as I normally do. 

3FB24413-4320-4BA2-B0F6-96233D9B6C67.jpeg

3A720DA9-C46A-4C14-BF7C-A71D7042CEDE.jpeg

• Like 9

Today has dawned dry and sunny, perfect for making a podium attempt for this round. My best lap count so far has been with my TT-02 Type S, and that was in the wet, so I think I'll give that another go and see if I can add a couple of laps to the total now that it is dry. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Today has dawned dry and sunny, perfect for making a podium attempt for this round. My best lap count so far has been with my TT-02 Type S, and that was in the wet, so I think I'll give that another go and see if I can add a couple of laps to the total now that it is dry. 

Just been out my self trying the new lipo's but I'm going back to nihm for grip, still damp up my way (although I do like the speed from lipo) best of luck

• Like 3

22 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

perhaps see if I can coax a Monster Beetle around the tight confines of the garden.

Give it a shot, nothing to lose by trying! The ORVs are building a presence lately, all of us vying for that wooden spoon!

Good luck on your runs today gents, hoping to get some numbers laid down myself in the next few days.

• Like 2

This is an open question to everyone taking part in this race, has any seen any improvement or hole is in their diving after taking part?

Personal I have found where I am weak and need to get better, also paying more attention and trying other set ups, I think it has done me the world of good. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DayRider said:

This is an open question to everyone taking part in this race, has any seen any improvement or hole is in their diving after taking part?

Personal I have found where I am weak and need to get better, also paying more attention and trying other set ups, I think it has done me the world of good. 

My overall speed has improved, now getting much better fastest lap times however my consistency is very poor which is hurting my total lap counts. I need to get more consistent even if it means doing slightly slower lap times.

My Thundershot setup has improved massively since round 1, it is now a very quick buggy on tarmac and easily capable of much quicker times than I can currently achieve with my sub par driving.... :D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DayRider said:

Before this challenge, my racing activities typically took place indoors, and the only times I drove in the wet was when bashing or scaling. The combination of winter weather and no convenient covered driving area has forced me to become better at driving quickly in the wet. I think it is having a positive effect - earlier today I was out taking advantage of the sunshine and trying to improve on my wet lap count of the other day. I did manage an improvement, but only by one lap. I am taking this to indicate that my wet weather driving has improved, as looking back to Round 2 for example, there was a 7-lap difference between my wet and dry totals.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you my Friends!! 😊

Just for the entertainment whilst cooped up in this hellhole... No Visitors allowed. 😭  And my only pleasure about being here, cute Nurses in skirts, are cloaked in HAZMAT Suits with big Rubber Boots! 😖

So I'm enjoying at least living vicariously through you Guys right now.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

Thank you my Friends!! 😊

Just for the entertainment whilst cooped up in this hellhole... No Visitors allowed. 😭  And my only pleasure about being here, cute Nurses in skirts, are cloaked in HAZMAT Suits with big Rubber Boots! 😖

So I'm enjoying at least living vicariously through you Guys right now.

Wishing you a speedy recovery mate, hope to see you back on form soon.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Before this challenge, my racing activities typically took place indoors, and the only times I drove in the wet was when bashing or scaling. The combination of winter weather and no convenient covered driving area has forced me to become better at driving quickly in the wet. I think it is having a positive effect - earlier today I was out taking advantage of the sunshine and trying to improve on my wet lap count of the other day. I did manage an improvement, but only by one lap. I am taking this to indicate that my wet weather driving has improved, as looking back to Round 2 for example, there was a 7-lap difference between my wet and dry totals.

I think its great to have goals and work to get better so I must thank you for inviting me to this challenge. I have really started to put more into driving and improve my car, rather than just doing a few laps and not giving much thought to it. I always use to Favor fast tracks but now I'm working harder on the tighter turns. I think you have put me to higher level and I am totally enjoying it a lot more.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mud4fun said:

My overall speed has improved, now getting much better fastest lap times however my consistency is very poor which is hurting my total lap counts. I need to get more consistent even if it means doing slightly slower lap times.

My Thundershot setup has improved massively since round 1, it is now a very quick buggy on tarmac and easily capable of much quicker times than I can currently achieve with my sub par driving.... :D

So not just me seeing a better feel for it. Good times mate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DayRider said:

Wishing you a speedy recovery mate, hope to see you back on form soon.

Heartily seconded. Sending healing vibes your way @Carmine A!!! Kill that sickness quicker than the spikes on Hornet knobbies!!!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DayRider said:

I believe this is what used to be called "practice" and yes I too am benefitting from it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

I believe this is what used to be called "practice" and yes I too am benefitting from it!

I know it's all just for a bit of fun but it has given me focus rather that just charging up a few packs and going out for a run. There is not many other people near me, infact the closest are miles away so I don't get anyone to practice with. Hopefully that might change or when this hole covid thing is over I Will travel to a club but for now this is where I am getting other people go up against.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DayRider said:

No doubt this postal racing did stimulate all sort of aspects of RC that were quite dormant on me before.

I don't drive with anybody, my anyday run is usually through whatever surface available, 99% offroad, most times with no specific track designed and with my focus on jumps. I just love jumping the cars, aiming for some nice airborne time and smooth landing, so most of my tuning and set-ups so far has been about that.

I love my offroad runs, but it's so cool to have something different to shift the focus to now. Having a purpose helps that focus, and the feeling of track and racing is quite priceless to a person that has never even bashed around with someone else, let alone club racing.

About the driving, as you said it pointed out all of my weaknesses right away! I know what to work on now (or al least I think I do), and the inner challenge makes it even more fun. I just wish I could practice more! 

Hopefully this Saturday the weather will allow for a run or two.

Also, I love the comradery here! ;) And the race reports of course

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Ferruz said:

No doubt this postal racing did stimulate all sort of aspects of RC that were quite dormant on me before.

I don't drive with anybody, my anyday run is usually through whatever surface available, 99% offroad, most times with no specific track designed and with my focus on jumps. I just love jumping the cars, aiming for some nice airborne time and smooth landing, so most of my tuning and set-ups so far has been about that.

I love my offroad runs, but it's so cool to have something different to shift the focus to now. Having a purpose helps that focus, and the feeling of track and racing is quite priceless to a person that has never even bashed around with someone else, let alone club racing.

About the driving, as you said it pointed out all of my weaknesses right away! I know what to work on now (or al least I think I do), and the inner challenge makes it even more fun. I just wish I could practice more! 

Hopefully this Saturday the weather will allow for a run or two.

Also, I love the comradery here! ;) And the race reports of course

All my cars are for on road and I love it but lately due to a run of bad weather I have been looking into an off road buggy. Just this very minuet I have been checking out some cool stuff on youtube, The more you do the better you get right? on the ground or in the air. I know its all for fun but I have to admit that its got me more in the zone, its great :D

• Like 4

I wholeheartedly appreciate everyone's support! 👊✌ The Camaraderie here is absolutely second to NONE! Thank you so much!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, DayRider said:

All my cars are for on road and I love it but lately due to a run of bad weather I have been looking into an off road buggy. 

Funny thing, I'm in similar position but opposite :)

Virtually all my driving or racing experience over they years has been off road on dirt tracks and all our cars are off road buggies and trucks. Whether it be bashing with friends as a teenager, racing on dirt tracks at a local club in my early twenties or bashing and racing with the kids in the garden it was all off road.

The postal racing is the first time I've ever driven on tarmac in a competitive manner. I think this is part of the reason why I actually do slightly better on wet tarmac (especially with the Avante2001) because the lower grip better suits my driving style that developed for dirt track racing. I'm getting better but tarmac requires very different setup and driving techniques to dirt, especially to rough dirt. It has been an enlightening experience and as others have said, has really focused us on improving our driving and cars.

I was considering buying a touring car but to be honest after looking at the performance difference between my outright best lap times against other touring cars taking part I'm not sure the buggies are at the disadvantage on tarmac as some would expect, especially after the buggy setup is changed to suit tarmac driving (especially on the larger faster track designs). It is true that TurnipJF has beaten me on every round BUT the buggy actually had the pace to match the touring cars or even the F1 cars but it was lack of consistency that was the main reason I could not beat him IMHO. If I can work on my consistency I think I have a real chance of an outright win - it may take a few hundreds rounds to get there though :lol: (I can dream)

So I'm now thinking to spend some money on a proper modern race buggy (Schumacher Cat L1 Evo) so I can compare the performance of my Thundershot and Avante2001 to a genuinely modern race spec buggy. We could then also run it on the garden track to compare it to the vintage buggies on rough off road track too. I don't own anything new, all my buggies are 30+ years old so I'm quite curious to see how much better a modern race orientated buggy could do at the postal racing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today was oddly warm and I won't get many more of these until next May, so despite the darkness I set out for another run after work.

The parking lot was almost empty so this time I had no 1:1 cars in the way, but it took a couple battery packs and some 20 aborted runs to get used to the twilight: the only light on the track came from the nearby building and was way too low and blinding, anyway at the end I got used to it enough to get a few full runs.

I was curious to try a new set-up, nothing major but still: I've slightly increased the toe-in and mounted the wheels and tires set that I usually run in the winter. These wheels are bigger than the Kyosho 8 holes (2.2 I believe) and have pin spiked tires.

20201120-185016.jpg

This made quite the difference, much more grip compared to the bald ones I've been running so far, plus the rears are much wider which eliminated the oversteering issues at the expense of some agility. Probably better for this type of challenge.

The above made the car quite different to drive under stress, a lot of food for thoughts for future setups.

The Manta felt once again almost impeccable compared to my limited skills, loads of mistakes ahah but still at the end I managed a personal best, even if only by one lap.

I will now bask in my result for a minute, knowing that it will soon be incinerated by the big guys here :lol:

I'm planning on more runs during the weekend with the other cars also, if weather allows.

....and I too have a Monster truck that's eager to compete for that wooden spoon!!

• Like 5

Today I took my new tires for a spin and examined all the possible permutations of "grip roll" :lol:

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

Today I took my new tires for a spin and examined all the possible permutations of "grip roll" :lol:

what tires are you using?

1 hour ago, DayRider said:

what tires are you using?

Pro-Line Electron purple compound in the front and JConcepts Dirt Webs gold compound in the rear, all with their factory foams installed.

Like @mud4fun I'm used to driving on dirt, and my old tires are really slippery, so tarmac driving with the new soft rubber is a whole new level of grip that I need to adjust to. They drive really nice in the grass though, so I may try to get a grass run in this round!

• Like 3

Middle Mudlet did her attempt today in the glorious bright sunshine albeit with a strong wind blowing her long hair across her face at critical moments :lol:

She chose to run my carpet tyres (schumacher cactus rear, cactus fusion front all in super sticky silver compound) which gave very high levels of grip on the dry tarmac. Sadly we have not got around to lowering her Terra Scorcher yet and it would grip roll far too easily when she pushed hard into a corner too tightly. We did add 6 degrees of negative camber to both front and rear to try and limit this but in the end she had to slow right down for the bends for fear of destroying her new largely pristine shell. (She needs a second basher shell really to alleviate that worry).

She did fairly well, matched my Avante2001 but I think if she'd have spent an hour or two more in practising the track and we had lowered her buggy right down like my thundershot, she would probably have get at least 2-3 more laps. 

middle_mudlet_round5.jpg

• Like 3