TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

17 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

They are just a fun drive, somehow I feel my laps to yours will hardly be a comparison, more like lottery numbers.

Some stickier tyres (still on the kit ones from my M05) and just using the M08 for the day would probably improve my laps, although I do feel I’m getting to know it more and more as time goes on 😃

Stickier tyres on the rear certainly help. I am running kit standard 60Ds on the front and S-Grips on the rear of mine, with blue foams all round. Thus shod, it isn't far off the pace of my TT-02 Type S and TB-03 touring cars running Sorex 36Rs.

• Thanks 1

Hey @Re-Bugged how easy is it to create the videos on youtube? I can video and edit my races easy enough but I have nowhere to host them. Never really considered youtube as I never wanted to share anything publically before. I guess I need to investigate this as I'd like to video my races too, at least do some sort of mix video of all our cars running a few laps each on video and ideally a few crashes.... :D

2 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Hey @Re-Bugged how easy is it to create the videos on youtube? I can video and edit my races easy enough but I have nowhere to host them. Never really considered youtube as I never wanted to share anything publically before. I guess I need to investigate this as I'd like to video my races too, at least do some sort of mix video of all our cars running a few laps each on video and ideally a few crashes.... :D

First thing I did was set up a separate email address purely for a YT account and just use an alias name on YT.

That last vid took about half an hour to edit the clips from my phone onto iMovie on the Mac then publish on YT.

Others I’ve done took a lot longer just depends how far you want to go. Short clips straight from a phone to YT are very simple.

I’m hardly the worlds tech savvy person, so if I can do it anyone can 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ploots said:

How are you feeling now

Thanks for asking!! 😊 The Antibiotics are finally kicking in, should be home by Tuesday! 

I've been reading about the more Truck-ish entries coming up for future runs...  Got me thinking, maybe I SHOULD try my Wraith! 😁

I had her apart last year, because I was trying to detail the Interior more.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I suppose I could find some sticky, low profile 2.2 Tires for her.... And swap out the 12 tooth Pinion Gear for a 20T - that would give some SPEED. She can already do about 15mph - up a Rock Wall. 😳

..... It's a thought, with money I don't have, but it's getting my mind off of things. 😉

spacer.png

This was my first Wraith. Had to sell her. 😭 THIS one was built for Off-Road SPEED!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Hi Adam, yes we had same problem even with our transponder equipped cars and a LapMonitor base station. We used to use LapTrax and it works fine with one car at a time BUT you need to manually press the timer to count the laps, if you choose the sensor version it will count the car going in both directions. We even had this issue with our transponders so we actually changed our start/finish line to be up near the top left hairpin and set the base station in the middle of the track about 1m south of the top left marker, pointing outwards (left). That way it would only record the car once per lap. The cars would go behind the base station in one direction and only cross in front and get counted once per lap. We actually ran the track in the opposite direction to that suggested, we started 1m before the top left hairpin and drove up and around that turn. Probably cost us 0.5 seconds on the initial lap but overall it wouldn't make nay difference to overall lap counts.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll give it a go in a different position and of not just try the video and count idea someone else gave.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mud4fun said:

That is excellent to hear TurnipJF, as you know, youngest mudlet has asked Father Xmas for an Agroshot. She will be delighted to see how yours has done :) 

I think she'll enjoy it. It has the look of a big, beefy thing with the off-road performance to match, but can rival an M-chassis in terms of cornering nimbleness.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I think she'll enjoy it. It has the look of a big, beefy thing with the off-road performance to match, but can rival an M-chassis in terms of cornering nimbleness.

Ye gods, that thing corners better than my Avante2001 EEK!! I think I'm now depressed.... maybe I should have a word with Santa and suggest he 'lose' youngest mudlets gift on route........ :D

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Very handy,  I'm hoping my Racing Fighter will handle similarly well when it arrives at Christmas, with some tarmac friendly tyres fitted of course.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Ye gods, that thing corners better than my Avante2001 EEK!! I think I'm now depressed.... maybe I should have a word with Santa and suggest he 'lose' youngest mudlets gift on route........ :D

...Or that he brings you one too!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

...Or that he brings you one too!

hehe, nah, I'm quite happy with my Avante2001 and Thundershot. They are both capable of quicker pace then I can currently achieve due to my rather diabolical consistency so I will persevere with them.

I hope that eventually my driving will get good enough to the point I actually think I could achieve more pace and the limit was my buggies......can't see that happening just yet though :D but when it does it'll be time to get that Schumacher L1 Evo :)

Well, @TurnipJF I was very skeptical of the wing on the Thundershot (or any buggy for that matter) as to how much actual affect it had on performance BUT in the interests of 'scientific' study (or the fact I managed to break my DIY wing mount and needed to replace it, hint, don't pickup your car by the wing.....) I did two attempts this afternoon with and without wing.......I am rather embarrassed to admit that the attempt with the wing did 2 more laps than the one without...... 0.3 seconds per lap faster. Now it wasn't really very scientific and I'm still not wholly convinced as in my view they look like they act as giant air brakes but I'll concede this time..... :D 

of course this would then give good reason why youngest mudlets silver can powered thundershot with a wing seems to do so much better than we could possibly imagine.....or maybe she is really just the better driver? :)

EDIT: and in fact thinking about this, pretty sure that in my A level physics at some point we did aerodynamics and I'm sure it doesn't have any affect until about 50mph? so how can the wing make any difference on an RC buggy doing just 25-30mph? Anybody with any scientific background give some guidance on this?

47 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

EDIT: and in fact thinking about this, pretty sure that in my A level physics at some point we did aerodynamics and I'm sure it doesn't have any affect until about 50mph? so how can the wing make any difference on an RC buggy doing just 25-30mph? Anybody with any scientific background give some guidance on this?

Think about an rc plane at take off. They generate lift at a couple of mph around walking pace albeit just a little bit. Your wing is just an upside down wing so a good one will begin to generate downforce at very low speeds.  

Plenty of vanity spoilers which which work the same way as stripes. They look faster therefore they are!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, ExmouthAdam said:

Think about an rc plane at take off. They generate lift at a couple of mph around walking pace albeit just a little bit. Your wing is just an upside down wing so a good one will begin to generate downforce at very low speeds.  

Plenty of vanity spoilers which which work the same way as stripes. They look faster therefore they are!

I guess so, to be honest I had never really believed they could work, thought of them more as 'looks' thing.

My wing is a Schumacher K1 aero, in all honesty the only reason I got it was because TurnipJF had shown a picture of his thundershot with a carbon effect Schumacher Cougar wing on it and we liked the look of it so wanted to buy some for our buggies. Sadly they were out of stock everywhere and the only wing in stock at the time was the unpainted/clear K1 aero so I bought that, painted and fitted it, thought yeah that looks cool and that was the end of it. Never for a minute did I think the damned thing actually delivers real downforce! LOL

Well as it's freshly liberated from its place on your buggy, try blowing over it. If you hold out lightly by one side you should be able to feel it lift ever so slightly if its doing anything

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ExmouthAdam said:

Well as it's freshly liberated from its place on your buggy, try blowing over it. If you hold out lightly by one side you should be able to feel it lift ever so slightly if its doing anything

Thanks, sadly it is now firmly back in place BUT we do have a few other wings sat in a box waiting to be painted so I will try that. Might make a little jig and use a fan to test them, got me curious now! :) 

edit. very curious to know if that ugly original thundershot wing actually does anything.....just don't tell youngest mudlet I said that....

• Like 1

We'll I did a sort of test on the wing, not exactly scientific so don't laugh, I placed rear end of buggy on digital scales and set a huge office fan up in front of it. Result was no appreciable change in reading. It did flicker by 10g or so but that could just be the buggy vibrating with the air blowing over it. So I remain sceptical :lol:

I'm about to go do some more postal racing attempts on tarmac so I will run some with and some without. If it gets more laps with the wing I can only conclude it is through magic or dark forces :D

• Like 2

I think I can safely call that one a WET grass attempt...... :lol:

stigeater_round5_grass.thumb.jpg.c83960e096c54b433e923557daf4ccad.jpg

By the time the flipping 2nd LiPo had finished charging the rain started so didn't get a chance to try without the wing. Will try again tomorrow.

Managed to get two dry runs on the tarmac with the carpet tyres, only managed a minor improvement in laps on my previous best for round 5 and that was with a slower best lap time too.

Swapped to the large pin spikes and rather alarmingly, despite then running on wet grass I managed to nearly equal my best dry tarmac time YIKES! The grip from the large spikes is pretty awesome!

Have to say, this track design is devilishly more tricky than it looks!!!! Those damned hairpins are a mare to get around, especially in my case as I have to avoid the LapMonitor and the fence!

• Like 1

Tonights project is to get a motor, servo and ESC fitted to my modified Sand Scorcher and hopefully some postal race attempts with that tomorrow.

I might even get around to finally putting the decals on this too! (They have been sat on a shelf for months)

sandscorcher_round5.thumb.jpg.a38c0991dc23aed2f9384ed29438b882.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 12:11 PM, mud4fun said:

We'll I did a sort of test on the wing, not exactly scientific so don't laugh, I placed rear end of buggy on digital scales and set a huge office fan up in front of it. Result was no appreciable change in reading. It did flicker by 10g or so but that could just be the buggy vibrating with the air blowing over it. So I remain sceptical :lol:

I'm about to go do some more postal racing attempts on tarmac so I will run some with and some without. If it gets more laps with the wing I can only conclude it is through magic or dark forces :D

More scientific than my "hold it and blow" method. 

Question is... Did it flicker in the right direction? ie, heavier? I would expect vibration to be erratic / lifting force. You'd probably get a truer reading with the car flat on the scales.

The running with and without is probably a more fun if less precise way of doing the science!

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 2:00 PM, mud4fun said:

Tonights project is to get a motor, servo and ESC fitted to my modified Sand Scorcher and hopefully some postal race attempts with that tomorrow.

I might even get around to finally putting the decals on this too! (They have been sat on a shelf for months)

sandscorcher_round5.thumb.jpg.a38c0991dc23aed2f9384ed29438b882.jpg

Love the paint on these, is that a can finish?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ExmouthAdam said:

Love the paint on these, is that a can finish?

Thank you, yes two light coats of PS46 followed by three PS5 black, all from rattle cans. I did my thundershot with three coats of PS46 which results in a lighter finish and my avante2001 with four coats which is even lighter but I'm happy with this. Looks quite menacing :)

Having a nightmare getting this running though. I had to strip and rebuild all the shocks as the o rings had failed, then I had to drill out the front arms to suit the larger diameter re-re white ball cups, then fitted bigger balls to the steering knuckles. Then found the front suspension pins had bent and had to be straightened. Then found the Kyosho magnetic meyhem motor did not fit in the motor housing without stripping off the nice orange wrap, then I spent hours trying to find the 70t spur and matching pinion. Finally got all that completed tonight but still got servo to fit yet and that is a whole world of pain because the solid alloy top deck was machined to fit an Acoms servo and I want to fit a futuba. So I'm going to have to Dremel the deck to shape. Sigh. So much for me thinking this would be a 5 minute job.

PS. With regards the wing on the thundershot, yes, it did flicker in right direction, 'weight' increased when fan was on but only by 10-20g at best. Can't see that having any affect on grip at all BUT not sure what speed the fan was the equivalent of, maybe only 5mph? So stretching things to the limit I guess you could argue that 10-20g could rise exponentially with increased speed so could equal 200g at 30mph??? I remain highly skeptical. To me the wing just looks cool. However at least we can say with certainty that it doesn't actually make the buggy slower :)

PS2. You'll have to excuse the poor quality machining on these decks, they were made by me when I was 16 (36 yrs ago!!) and have since been modified a few more times. The front axles have been extended using little extensions I turned on lathe. I'm going to have carbon decks made in the next few months which will reduce weight alot and I'll be running a LiPo too so overall weight will be quite low considering how big the thing is. Wheels are lunchbox black specials and tyres are mad bull I think. Servo saver is an R5 turbo and shocks I have no idea. The little gold ones on the front are beautiful quality but no idea what they are off, the rears are Kyosho I think. The body posts are a bit bent from where it was stored for 15 years in the attic with a big box on top of it. They'll straighten up eventually I hope.

sandscorcher_round5 (2).jpg

• Like 4

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Butchered the top deck with a dremel and managed to get a servo to fit, still missing a velcro battery strap but a cable tie will do for now, all wired up and it is operational again, hurrah. First time in 15 years this Sand Scorcher will have run.

Just got to charge the LiPo up now and I can get some postal racing done this evening (if it doesn't rain)

Kyosho magnetic mayhem motor showing off its torque, despite the huge weight of this thing it was donut'ing around the kitchen floor even on a LiPo with just a storage charge! Can't wait to go postal racing on a fully charged LiPo, it will be hysterical :lol: wooden spoon here I come :P

sandscorcher_round5 (7).jpg

• Like 3

Well I'm not sure it was worth the 15 year wait..... :lol:

The first attempt barely beat my crawler driven by youngest mudlet.... and the second attempt despite my very best efforts barely got double that of the crawler....

The turning circle is none existent and those Mad Bull/Lunchbox tyres are worse than useless on wet grass so I had to 3 point turn (or donut) each turn.

Anything above a slight touch of throttle resulted in facing the wrong way.

Will try again tomorrow on the grippier tyres that I have fitted to the King Blackfoot

Hilarious fun though and the Sand Scorcher is covered in mud and grass again, just like the old days :)

6876472_sandscorcher_round5(8).thumb.jpg.fc2651b94110858115965c31c99fcffc.jpg

• Like 5

My attempts at achieving a sub-7-second best lap with my touring car have been unsuccessful, and I doubt I'll be having another opportunity to do so before the end of this round, so instead I had an attempt at the nocturnal wooden spoon with this:

2020-11-24_10-16-33

• Like 4
  • Haha 2