TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

9 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Nice Track Ian!! 👌

It's almost too bad I won't get any Snow... That would give my Wraith and SCX10 II Comanche a solid chance! 😉 

I still have the same knackered Tire problem - but the Mrs. should allow me to get out and give it a go. Nice flat out runs, without too many Tire killing Curves. At least my TT-02S SM RRRR GT4 will be ready!

Another TT-02S joins (or should I say returns to) the fray! Looks like I may have to up my TT-02 game a bit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got my old radio fixed and have a new one on the way, so I'll be able to participate again. Track looks great as I like a faster, less technical track. Week 3 drove me absolutely insane. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bash said:

Week 3 drove me absolutely insane. 

Me too! :)

Nice new track layout! I really like this one.

Also, being so narrow and long, I might be able to fit in lenghtwise in the indoor shared parking lot of our condo, safe from the snow and for the happiness of my neighbours :P

....although it boasts car-hungry, unforgiving raw concrete walls on all sides.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Out of curiosity, were you running LiPo? Just wondering because I have seen alot of people on YouTube complaining of poor traction BUT wasn't this car designed back when much heavier NiCds would have been the common battery? Just wondering if using a LiPo results in car being too light for width of tyres?

I was considering buying a 2nd hand one to see what they were like, it was a toss up between an F1 car (maybe even new Schumacher one) or a racing truck....

I used NiMH. Don’t let my post put you off - sure it’s more tricky than my TT02, but I have more fun driving it! 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ryback said:

I used NiMH. Don’t let my post put you off - sure it’s more tricky than my TT02, but I have more fun driving it! 

Thanks! I'm very tempted. Doing the postal racing mostly on tarmac has tempted me to try a dedicated tarmac car to make a change from running buggies. However the tarmac we run on is pretty rough and littered with dead leaves, twigs and stones etc (especially at this time of year) so I'm not sure. The buggies just run on it without needing to worry about debris but I guess the F1 cars would require me to brush the track surface clean first? Maybe the racing trucks would be better? I assume they have better ground clearance?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Another TT-02S joins (or should I say returns to) the fray! Looks like I may have to up my TT-02 game a bit!

No Mate..... YOU are still the threat, and the one to beat!! 😉  I can only hope that the new Tires give me a little edge. 

And whoever dared TurnipJF to run a grasshopper needs to stand in a corner and recite one thousand times 'I will not challenge Turnip to run a kids starter car ever again'......:D

Just noticed, nothing in rules about needing to be in contact with ground.... I have a nice little RC helicopter that may beat Turnip.....:P Just joking

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

Thanks! I'm very tempted. Doing the postal racing mostly on tarmac has tempted me to try a dedicated tarmac car to make a change from running buggies. However the tarmac we run on is pretty rough and littered with dead leaves, twigs and stones etc (especially at this time of year) so I'm not sure. The buggies just run on it without needing to worry about debris but I guess the F1 cars would require me to brush the track surface clean first? Maybe the racing trucks would be better? I assume they have better ground clearance?

Yeah an F1 car would ideally need twigs and stones swept off the racing line. I use mine on a car park and generally don’t sweep it, but if there are any stones you soon know about it and want to kick them aside! A touring car would be a bit more forgiving, but then again an RWD F1 is just about the purest form of on-road machinery (in my limited experience), very different to a buggy - so it depends what you’re after really. I’ve not seen a racing truck so can’t help there I’m afraid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The racing trucks are re-bodied touring cars, so would indeed be more forgiving of surface imperfections and driving errors than an F1.

That said, I would still recommend an F1. Pure and uncompromising, they reward smoothness and precision while instantly punishing any mistakes. They may be one of the hardest categories of cars to master, but doing so will undoubtedly improve your skills with any other car category. 

• Thanks 2

On 12/1/2020 at 5:29 AM, EvilSpike said:

You know, I really should have read the rules before now. I've just been counting the one I was currently on.

"Stimpy you imbecile!"

I think all of mine may have been a lap short too--I don't think LapTrax records the final lap after the timer has run out. Not that it matters either way, I'm solidly in the lower packfill quadrant anyhow! I still don't think I've officially broken 30 laps yet... maybe this round? Looks like a good fast track, and the mechanic has had a stern talking to after the last debacle... hopefully no more bonehead mistakes :blink: Good luck all!

• Like 2

I've been looking through the previous results (mapped into a spreadsheet) and I've come to the conclusion that my car is not the problem, so I think I'll hold off buying a new car until spring. 

After careful study it looks like on the rounds where I spent considerable time practising laps for the round with just one car I managed to match Turnips best lap times even with my existing car.

For example on a rounds 3 and 4 I did approx 600 laps each round with my thundershot on tarmac and I matched TurnipJF's Thundershot best lap time on that surface. However on Round 5 I did 600 laps in total but that was across 6 cars (or same car but multiple surfaces), so I barely did 100 laps for each car/surface combination and my best lap time was a second down on TurnipJF's thundershot. From this it suggests to me that I just need to concentrate on the cars I have and concentrate on one or two of them rather than running lots of different ones.

My skill is not sufficiently good at the moment to pick up any car and run it quickly enough to get close to TurnipJF's times BUT if I do alot of practise with one car and get a good feel for it I get better times and get closer to him.

So I think I still have plenty of room for improvement with my existing cars before I need to think about getting a quicker car? (If I want to have a change I still have plenty of options in my existing fleet TBH!)

Edit: also, I really do fancy an F1 car but this time of year is no good as likelyhood is for wet, snowy or icy conditions here for next few months (and the rec ground is covered in twigs and leaves at this time of year) which better suits the buggies anyway.

3 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Edit: also, I really do fancy an F1 car

Me too, but I'll end up buying a TT02 Type S when they're back in stock in spring. I can't think of anywhere smooth enough to run an F1 (Tyrrell P34) without having to drive into Falmouth or Truro and use a carpark, at least a touring car will roll over the odd bit of gravel and leaves.

I don't really do any practice to be honest, I have maybe three or four goes at each track with both the Terra Scorcher and the Lunchie on different days then forget about it for a week or so. I'm at home most days, but I can't find the time to do anything but work on the never ending list of jobs... Right now I ought to be emailing my accountant and sorting out my tax affairs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mud4fun said:

I've been looking through the previous results (mapped into a spreadsheet) and I've come to the conclusion that my car is not the problem, so I think I'll hold off buying a new car until spring. 

After careful study it looks like on the rounds where I spent considerable time practising laps for the round with just one car I managed to match Turnips best lap times even with my existing car.

For example on a rounds 3 and 4 I did approx 600 laps each round with my thundershot on tarmac and I matched TurnipJF's Thundershot best lap time on that surface. However on Round 5 I did 600 laps in total but that was across 6 cars (or same car but multiple surfaces), so I barely did 100 laps for each car/surface combination and my best lap time was a second down on TurnipJF's thundershot. From this it suggests to me that I just need to concentrate on the cars I have and concentrate on one or two of them rather than running lots of different ones.

My skill is not sufficiently good at the moment to pick up any car and run it quickly enough to get close to TurnipJF's times BUT if I do alot of practise with one car and get a good feel for it I get better times and get closer to him.

So I think I still have plenty of room for improvement with my existing cars before I need to think about getting a quicker car? (If I want to have a change I still have plenty of options in my existing fleet TBH!)

Edit: also, I really do fancy an F1 car but this time of year is no good as likelyhood is for wet, snowy or icy conditions here for next few months (and the rec ground is covered in twigs and leaves at this time of year) which better suits the buggies anyway.

Been thinking about this a bit lately too, and practice definitely helps. I have only been doing less than 10 runs per round, having fun, but only just reaching a point of comfort with the course right before the round is over (or having a mechanical failure that prevents me from getting results). With it getting dark so early this time of year, I may have to start getting creative with my course locations so I can squeeze more practice in and account for any showstoppers along the way. I have half a mind to move my wife's car out of the garage and use it for the technical half of this course!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, El Gecko said:

Been thinking about this a bit lately too, and practice definitely helps. I have only been doing less than 10 runs per round, having fun, but only just reaching a point of comfort with the course right before the round is over (or having a mechanical failure that prevents me from getting results). With it getting dark so early this time of year, I may have to start getting creative with my course locations so I can squeeze more practice in and account for any showstoppers along the way. I have half a mind to move my wife's car out of the garage and use it for the technical half of this course!

Yes, we have a big problem at this time of year. I work all day and my kids are at school. By the time we finish for the day it is too dark to run at the rec ground car park (which is unlit).

So the only time we can do our racing is at weekends, normally just a couple of hours, if we're lucky maybe 4 hours worth per round.

Kids are only with me every other weekend too which limits them even more.

A few months ago we were getting in practises after school on week nights too which helped alot as it was still light in the early evening. We'll just have to cope with winter and look forward to lighter evenings again come spring. :) 

They may have new 2WD buggies to run by then too if Santa brings them what they asked for ^_^

• Like 2

Practice would be awesome, sadly something I don’t get the time for. A few donuts to warm the tyres then off we go! There’s usually a couple of restarts after I’ve tried to redefine the track, but that’s about it. It’s where the tighter circuit has helped me I think, less speed to make mistakes more costly. Though perhaps if I cut down from the 8 entries from round 5 I’d actually have more time? :D 

I do think I need to focus more to learn. I was looking at anti roll bars for the ta07, but then thought I have no idea if it’s rolling. Likewise tb05 chassis stiffeners, to then read that you want flex on rougher surfaces. The concrete I run on is quite smooth, but I think it’s actually got lots of little ridges in it, so rougher than tarmac?  I wonder too what percentage of my mental capacity is taken up with keeping count, so stopping me noticing or understanding things?

tell you what though, it’s a lot more fun actually running them with a purpose, rather than just looking at them :)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

I wonder too what percentage of my mental capacity is taken up with keeping count, so stopping me noticing or understanding things?

So true! Since we got the lapmonitor we don;t need to think about counting any more (well on our main buggies fitted with the transponders). So we have definately noticed that we can concentate on our driving.

Even when we had 'helpers' to manually count the laps (or press a button on an app) there were still arguments and we were still distracted by constantly shouting to check they were still counting and how much time was left etc. Having the computer shout out the lap counts and time remaining means 100% of our effort is on the car instead! :)

And yes, I am not going to be running so many damned cars per round in future, not only cuts down on time with any one car BUT it is more cleaning, more maintenance etc. The last round we ran mostly wet grass/mud. The cars were filthy!!!! Took longer to clean them afterwards then to actually record a lap count.

• Like 2

Though perhaps if I cut down from the 8 entries from round 5 I’d actually have more time? :D

+1 I've been running 2 cars per round and I've been thinking even that is too many!

tell you what though, it’s a lot more fun actually running them with a purpose

It's funny how big of an impact can be made by simply adding a clock! I will say that this racing has certainly made me rethink my approach to a few things, specifically with regard to car setup and reliability.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

+1 I've been running 2 cars per round and I've been thinking even that is too many!

LOL

On the last round we ran:

My thundershot, my Avante2001, youngest mudlets Vanquish, middle mudlets Terra Scorcher, the still very broken and held together with tie-wraps King Blackfoot, my DIY crawler AND my modified Sand Scorcher.....

and if it wasn't for bad weather we'd have also probably run youngest and middle mudlets thundershots too!

However, on the PLUS side, I'm getting fit carrying dozens of damned cars and batteries the mile down to the rec ground and then back again a couple times per week :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hopefully I'll get time to participate in this round !

I've just finished my Embie Racing carbon chassis conversion XV-01, and I'm itching to give it a proper run.

• Like 4

On 12/3/2020 at 11:25 AM, El Gecko said:

I did it! Actually got some practice in with the bRat yesterday in the garage while my wife was out running errands... the new track is a blast! Well, the technical half at least. I didn't open the garage door, but my driveway slopes down toward the street, so the long 7-meter speed section will be partly uphill, with a sudden 1/2" elevation difference (a "jump" when you're coming in at speed) where the driveway concrete meets the garage slab. Not sure how that will affect things compared to the flat, smooth tarmac at the rec ground where I usually run, however the other way is downhill--if nothing else, I think I'll be working that brake circuit HARD at the far end! There are also some elevation differences in the expansion joints inside the garage, so I have to be very picky about my lines and very careful with my speed control, otherwise they'll throw the car into a spin if it gets air while cornering. Just charged up another pack and can't wait to do some more!

• Like 2

Made an attempt with the Dirt Trasher this afternoon but it wasn't quite good. I guess I have to delete the Dirt Trasher from the car list as it always ended up half disassembled. At least it makes it easier to clean. Also my backyard isn't the best choice for racing at this time of the year. And the Lap Trax App didn't count the laps right. I think I have to go in a little bit more. Maybe I try another attempt tomorrow, depends on the weather but then with my TA03-F.

And now for disassembling and cleaning.

IMG20201205170323_compress17.thumb.jpg.f81f4e09a9ea6ba7b5a2d9002593e39b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, IoWBasher said:

Hopefully out in the morning to do some practice with this :D

3.jpg

Is that the Embie racing carbon chassis or another one? What battery mount option did you go for if is indeed the Embie one? 

The last few bits for my XV-01 build showed up today - not made my mind up if I'm going to go for a CF chassis yet though... 

Yes indeed it's the Embie Racing one, very nice it is too.

For the battery I'm using a Turnigy nano-tech Ultimate 2600mah 2S2P 90C Hardcase Lipo Super Shorty Pack from Hobbyking, I made a holder for the rear of the battery and I'm using the Embie Racing one for the front of the battery. Also I added some insulation tape to the top of the battery so as it can't move. All it takes to remove the battery is loosening the thumb screws on the front mount and it can be slid out. 

I've got the mudguard holders to add in the future.

• Thanks 1