TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 44 track is up. We're going back to Vålerbanen!

31 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I have been giving some thought to the requests for a round extension. On one hand, some people have submitted results before the deadline, and I am sure they would like to see them posted sooner rather than later. On the other, this is a nice track layout, and it would be a pity to deny anyone the opportunity to run it. So I propose a compromise:

I will post the results table tonight as soon after Midnight  as I can, so that we can all see and appreciate the results submitted by those who were able to make the deadline.

However Round 7 can begin at some point after Christmas, possibly in early January. Between now and then, people can submit more results using the current track, and I will publish another results table before the start of the next round, on Sunday 3 January. Consider this a round of two halves if you will. Those who have submitted results already can have another go if they wish, or re-use their existing Round 6 results, while those who have wanted to enter but not had the opportunity for a run on this track will have two more weeks to try.

How does that sound?

That sounds great to me as I didn't finish due to weather, top comprise sir.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

How does that sound?

Sounds good to me. Maybe I can enter some additional results from my touring car over Christmas (if weather is nice to me).

Sounds good to me also, the results I submitted earlier where my one and only attempt. So hopefully I'll improve !! 

• Like 1

I've only managed one wet run so far for 'week 6' - and it felt really tough round that 240 degree hairpin on a wet surface! Have submitted my lap count anyway, will attempt to find some dryer tarmac over the next 2 weeks.

• Like 2

Got my final runs in today. After last weeks damp concrete, this week was much nicer. Crisp day, dry floor. Still chilly mind.

This session I had two sets of new boots to try. Sorex 32Rs as recommended, and a set of 30CPM Rush tyres.

I tried a run on the existing Tamiya semi slicks, then switched to the Sorexs on the TB05 and the Rush on the TA07.

I have to say, once up to temperature the differences was remarkable. By the end of a run, the cars would just turn where ever I wanted, minimal slip. The snap at the end was a bit hard to judge, but that was way outside the performance required for this track. I can certainly see how on big sweeping circuits it makes a big difference. 

Joining the session today was my XV01TC:

50A85DCD-DD0F-4331-A524-4993106A8697.jpg

I kinda rushed the body through a bit to get it going, so still plenty work to do. Sadly I only managed one run before the motor kept thermalling. Not particularly hot, but enough for the HW1060 to get all defensive.  After the sweeping joys of grippy mid 4wd cars, the front heavy XV01 really stood out. I’ve some work to do to get it dialled in, and perhaps some training to do to get used to the distinct handling when switching cars.

With the XV01 providing a stark example of incorrect gearing, I also think I’ve some playing I can do with the other two. The increase in speed I was able to carry from the tyres made me realise how much more of the throttle I can press. So giving more acceleration in the few seconds on full throttle might help a bunch. If that works out, I expect getting the cars slowed down again effectively will be requirement!

Not sure what I’ll do with the extra week(s) on this track. See if I can get the XV01 working effectively, perhaps stare a bit at the TT02 steering. Or perhaps get the Clod Buster out and see if I can chase @Aerobert‘s time!)

• Like 3

I'm not expecting our buggies to come close to the touring cars on this track however within our family buggies I've been delighted with the Avante class cars this round. :)

The mudlets and I have mainly run Avante2001, Egress and Vanquish on this round.

The mudlets managed to achieve very consistent lap times and both girls have praised the tight turning and faster cornering of these cars compared to the thundershots. This makes a big difference on those two markers that are just 2m apart. All of us managed to get 2-3 laps more per race on our Avante class cars than we did on our thundershot class cars.

It has been the first round that we have seen consistently better performance from the Avante class buggies. I was very surprised that both mudlets set very respectable lap counts on just their first (and only attempt for youngest). If the weather had been warmer they would have stayed out and done a few more attempts and almost certainly improved by 1 or 2 laps but bitingly cold winds and numb fingers curtailed their enthusiasm.... they both achieved far superior consistency in lap times than me which is great, they now just need to work on getting a bit more speed on those long straights. While my lap times are not consistent, I manage to get enough very quick laps in to offset the few rubbish ones and usually this results in more laps per race. :)

2 hours ago, ryback said:

I've only managed one wet run so far for 'week 6' - and it felt really tough round that 240 degree hairpin on a wet surface! Have submitted my lap count anyway, will attempt to find some dryer tarmac over the next 2 weeks.

I don't seem to have a lap count from you in my inbox? Would you mind resubmitting please?

Heyhey, eventually I managed to sneak in the snowiest and clumsiest attempt right at the end!

This was 1 hour and 40 minutes before the deadline:

20201220-171416.jpg

20 minutes after: habemus track!

20201220-173208.jpg

It looks snowy but ok in the photos, but it was infinitely more challenging in reality: first off, the actual surface was ICE: wht you see is just some fresh half shoveled snow that covers a thick, impenetrable layer of the most slippery black ice: both me and the cars couldn't go a foot straight! Plus the twilight and it was still snowing too... crazy! One full lap felt in itself like an accomplishment :lol:

After tracing the track and getting the cars ready to go I had less than an hour time and only one and half full batteries left, so absolutely no time for multiple attempts and not even for warm ups. But still, I went this far so why not??

The first to go was the Big Boss, sporting an old half charged NiCd battery. 

It was so cool to see it in action in this weather, too bad the battery didn't even last the full race (no kidding, with the snow to constantly plow and the big tires). I felt bad so I left it on the track until the 5 minutes ended, so I could at least enter the result although I'm not sure it still counts?? Ahah.

Screenshot-20201220-182949-Video-Player.

It was then the turn of the Manta Ray.

Screenshot-20201220-183021-Video-Player.

The only reason why I was able to even feel the throttle on this one was the fresh snow covering the ice: anything more than a featherweight on the trigger would deliver furious spins and total loss of control: I would have needed studded tires for this surface (meaning actual metal studs,lol). So, this obviously resulted in hilarious drifting fun, and the stopwatch and purpose of being on a track was pretty much instantly forgotten.

By the end of the single attempt, I reckon the Manta was twice as heavy due to all the snow accumulated! This photo was taken after I shook off the bigger part of it

20201220-181835.jpg

Even though my results are probably too low to even compete for the wooden spoon, it was great times as always. Also, besided all the fun I had drifting, I could understand how this track must be a lot of fun and challenge on tarmac and wish I could hve tried it in that mode. Congrats @mud4fun for designing it :)

20201220-181652.jpg

Ps I hope @TurnipJF will get my PM this time 🤔

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Here we go:

Laps: Participant: Chassis: Motor: Battery: Surface: Weight: Best lap:
45 jupitertwo TB-05 15.5t Tamiya 2S LiPo concrete 1414g 6.22s
42 ryback TT-02 Type S Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH tarmac (W)    
42 TurnipJF DF-01 Manta Ray "Darkwing" Tamiya TZ 2S LiPo tarmac (W)   6.92s
41 jupitertwo TA-07 10.5t Tamiya 2S LiPo concrete 1420g 6.87s
40 TurnipJF Thundershot "Grey Knight" GT Tuned 2S LiPo tarmac (W) 1561g 7.01s
39 Mud4fun Avante 2001 "Purple Pig" 13t Dyna Run Super Touring 2S LiPo tarmac (W) 1557g 6.97s
37 Mud4fun Thundershot "Stig Eater" 13t Dyna Run Super Touring 2S LiPo tarmac (W) 1467g 7.17s
34 Middle Mudlet Avante 2001 "Purple Pig" 13t Dyna Run Super Touring 2S LiPo tarmac (W) 1557g 7.78s
34 Youngest Mudlet Vanquish "Shadowfire" Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH tarmac (W) 1640g  
34 Middle Mudlet Egress 13t Dyna Run Super Touring 2S LiPo tarmac (W) 1557g 7.61s
33 jupitertwo XV-01TC Tamiya TZ 2S LiPo concrete 1445g 8.38s
32 Middle Mudlet Terra Scorcher 19t Reedy Quad Mag Spec 7.2V NiMH tarmac (W) 1604g  
29 jupitertwo TT-02 10.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo concrete (W) 1460g 9.16s
27 IoWBasher XV-01 (Carbon Chassis) 13.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo
rough tarmac (W)
  9.49s
23 Ferruz DF-01 Manta Ray 13.5t Bluebottle 7.2V NiCad ice with snow    
22 Aerobert Bullhead 2 X Silver cans 2S LiPo grass (W)    
22 El Gecko Grasshopper Silver can 7.2V NiMH grass (W) 1534g 10.69s
22 El Gecko Blackfoot 27t Point Blank ROAR '91 7.2V NiMH grass (W) 2000g 11.16s
21 El Gecko Grasshornet 27t Yokomo 7.2V NiMH grass (W) 1323g 10.53s
18 Ferruz Kyosho Big Boss Car Crusher Le Mans Stock 05 7.2V NiCad ice with snow    
16 Ministrone CW-01 Midnight Pumpkin Silver can 2S LiPo tarmac (W)   11.90s

If anyone has submitted results that do not appear on the table, or spots any errors, please let me know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the results-keeping, and thanks for coming up with a great solution for the extension @TurnipJF!! Maybe I will head back to the tarmac and give it a proper go, I've already got the bottom of the leaderboard covered :lol: but at least I'm consistent!

In the spirit of racing, since my diff gear hasn't arrived yet, I tried to glue the broken one back together so I could drive the new (to me) Grasshornet--the gear was already cracked in 4 places so what did I have to lose?? First I tried normal Gorilla Glue (the expanding stuff) which failed a gentle twist test. Scraped all that off and tried Gorilla brand super glue instead, which to my surprise worked! So I installed it, and it ran... for a little while, until I bounced over a bump in the grass, and it started doing something a bit more than "clicking"... upon investigation, this time the gear won't be coming back, but at least we got three runs in on the grass before it shattered! Even managed to sneak in a run with the old Grasshopper using what was left of the battery pack afterwards.

Also, I ran three cars on the exact same wet grass this afternoon, but for some reason this one got the dirtiest... the other two don't even look like they've been offroad!

Hope you all are having as much fun as I am!

grasshornet_diff_exploded_122020.jpg

grasshornet_dirty_122020.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I don't seem to have a lap count from you in my inbox? Would you mind resubmitting please?

Hmm - I sent a PM at the same time as my post, will try and resend now!

52 minutes ago, ryback said:

Hmm - I sent a PM at the same time as my post, will try and resend now!

Sorted - results table amended accordingly.

Thanks again @TurnipJF for organising and collating the scores. :)

We had immense fun this round and just wish the weather had been better so we could have got some more attempts in. Yet more rain forecast for next few days then potentially snow next week here. We may do some more attempts using the Sand Scorcher and King Blackfoot just for fun.

Not sure if it was down to us concentrating on fewer cars or you having an off day or conditions levelling up the buggies but results seem closer this time? (Certainly fastest laps, top 6 fastest laps all within a second of each other)

I was expecting the touring cars to be way ahead because of our struggles to get the buggies to turn right enough around those two tight end cones but surprisingly not as big a gap as thought.

My Avante2001 made up for its shameful performance on previous rounds AND nothing broke on any car and no crashes either so a very good round for us :D

Congrats everybody and @Ferruz we are jealous of your snow!

• Like 3

@TurnipJF it seems that my result is the only one still missing, no idea why they don't reach you. I even copy/pasted my PM into a new message, but it doesn't seem to have worked either.

One last thing I can think of is, you could try to message me, maybe then you'd get my reply, or else whatever let's just forget about it unless they miraculously reach you inbox, my results wouldn't exactly shake up the ranking anyway :D just a bit annoying that they can't get delivered that's all.

Congrats everybody!

• Sad 1

No Matter what is the out come once everyone has their times in, I think Jupitertwo should get the pick for getting the most laps in on time. Well done great results.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 9:17 PM, ryback said:

Great result in the wet there. I’m curious now to find out more about your TT02S. Is it box stock, or have your hopped it up? I’m still getting to grips with my TT02R, it wasn’t that much fun this round. 

4 hours ago, DayRider said:

No Matter what is the out come once everyone has their times in, I think Jupitertwo should get the pick for getting the most laps in on time. Well done great results.

Are there any suggestions for round 7? Compact or long, technical or sweeping?

I was looking back at the start of the thread, and there were a few more interested than we have now. I’m wondering if there’s a track type that would be more accessible? Did the touring cars make it less fun?

6 hours ago, Ferruz said:

@TurnipJF it seems that my result is the only one still missing, no idea why they don't reach you. I even copy/pasted my PM into a new message, but it doesn't seem to have worked either.

One last thing I can think of is, you could try to message me, maybe then you'd get my reply, or else whatever let's just forget about it unless they miraculously reach you inbox, my results wouldn't exactly shake up the ranking anyway :D just a bit annoying that they can't get delivered that's all.

Congrats everybody!

Sheet updated!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Great result in the wet there. I’m curious now to find out more about your TT02S. Is it box stock, or have your hopped it up? I’m still getting to grips with my TT02R, it wasn’t that much fun this round. 

Thanks! Parts changed from stock are the YR alloy steering rack, YR motor mount, the alloy propellor shaft / cups, and when the original tyres wore out I replaced them with 53433 (which are noticeably better).

Didn’t really know  what to look for re tyres, so just got some Tamiya ones that fitted the kit wheels from the Far East - but the Sorex option posted a page or two ago looks like better value (and a better tyre?) I’m just a bit loathe to fit racing disc wheels as I’m running a 90s BTCC shell, so it would look odd! (Cleland’s 94 Cavalier).

I’m just down the road in Henley btw. Good find with that car park - great option for winter weather and darkness.

9 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Are there any suggestions for round 7? Compact or long, technical or sweeping?

I was looking back at the start of the thread, and there were a few more interested than we have now. I’m wondering if there’s a track type that would be more accessible? Did the touring cars make it less fun?

As far as I can remember only rounds 2 and 6 have been long and thin. All the others were shorter, wider and mostly figure 8 types? Been a pretty even mix really, some tracks suit some cars more than others but overall seems fairly even? Round 2 was our favourite.

The touring cars don't bother us, we are happy to see all the different cars taking part. It is actually quite fascinating to see the results of so many different configurations on one score card. :)

Looking at my spreadsheet of previous results it looks like rounds 2 and 3 had the most individual driver entries. However they were back in warmer weather so it could simply be people are less inclined to take part in cold/wet conditions at this time of year. Also lockdowns and travel restrictions may have some impact too?

BTW congratulations on getting top spot :):ph34r:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ryback said:

Thanks! Parts changed from stock are the YR alloy steering rack, YR motor mount, the alloy propellor shaft / cups, and when the original tyres wore out I replaced them with 53433 (which are noticeably better).

Didn’t really know  what to look for re tyres, so just got some Tamiya ones that fitted the kit wheels from the Far East - but the Sorex option posted a page or two ago looks like better value (and a better tyre?) I’m just a bit loathe to fit racing disc wheels as I’m running a 90s BTCC shell, so it would look odd! (Cleland’s 94 Cavalier).

I’m just down the road in Henley btw. Good find with that car park - great option for winter weather and darkness.

Cool, thanks for the info. I’m wondering today if what I’m looking for is more turn-in, which as I understand it is more camber, which would require adjustable links, something the TT02S has but the R does not. 

Tyres - Modelsport do stock the Sorex tyres without being glued to the disc wheels. I know what you mean there, I don’t like the look, makes it look like I know what I’m doing :D that 94 Cavalier sounds good - any pictures? I’ve seen an HKS version, but not a Cleland one.

Henley, nice! The car park is the long stay one in the centre of town, intended for the train station users. So on the weekend it’s empty and Sundays is free. I’ve used the long stay section of the Sainsbury’s one too, as that’s empty these COVID times too. Just a few more people around to distract me. I’m a bit too self conscious still to venture outside!

5 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Cool, thanks for the info. I’m wondering today if what I’m looking for is more turn-in, which as I understand it is more camber, which would require adjustable links, something the TT02S has but the R does not. 

Tyres - Modelsport do stock the Sorex tyres without being glued to the disc wheels. I know what you mean there, I don’t like the look, makes it look like I know what I’m doing :D that 94 Cavalier sounds good - any pictures? I’ve seen an HKS version, but not a Cleland one.

Henley, nice! The car park is the long stay one in the centre of town, intended for the train station users. So on the weekend it’s empty and Sundays is free. I’ve used the long stay section of the Sainsbury’s one too, as that’s empty these COVID times too. Just a few more people around to distract me. I’m a bit too self conscious still to venture outside!

I think toe out should help turn in, does the R allow that? I should’ve tried that for the last track.

Here’s a pic of the Cavalier with its car park mates, Rydell’s Volvo and Soper’s BMW. We’ve installed light buckets for this winter - only been out once in the dark as a group, but it worked really well!

6251D378-DE36-49F8-A969-C948313DB6DA.jpeg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, ryback said:

I think toe out should help turn in, does the R allow that? I should’ve tried that for the last track.

Here’s a pic of the Cavalier with its car park mates, Rydell’s Volvo and Soper’s BMW. We’ve installed light buckets for this winter - only been out once in the dark as a group, but it worked really well!

6251D378-DE36-49F8-A969-C948313DB6DA.jpeg

what chassis is the one in the middle

?

7 hours ago, DayRider said:

what chassis is the one in the middle

?

All three are TT-02 Type S (only one is mine!)

@TurnipJF as the mudlets have asked for cheap'ish Tamiya 2WD buggies for Xmas and I had no 2WD modern buggy myself I decided to buy myself a Schumacher Cougar laydown. 

I was (and still am) tempted by an F1 car but I realised this time of year was not really suitable for F1 cars when the only area we have to drive them is covered in leaves, twigs, stones, puddles, ice and maybe snow.

I figured a buggy may be best option but wanted to see what a genuinely modern race spec buggy is like and how it compares to my vintage Avante2001 and thundershot chassis cars. So I settled on the Cougar laydown. It will be interesting to see if a thoroughbred modern chassis performs any better in postal racing in my unskilled hands compared to my vintage buggies. I'm not expecting much difference but who knows?

I hope to have it built and running for round 7. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a prediction that my vintage 4WD buggies will still beat the modern race spec 2WD in my rather rubbish hands..... :D

If we actually manage to get dry tarmac for round 7 I'm excited to see if the 2WD cougar will perform better than my 4WD Avante2001. I will be fitting a brand new 13T Tamiya super touring motor to the cougar so they will be running same motor.

Place your bets......