TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 7 track is up!

1 minute ago, Superluminal said:

You wouldnt initially think understeer would be too much of an issue on a 2wd buggy!!

LOL, I had the opposite when running it on tarmac, damned thing turned too quickly and tightly for me to cope..... But yeah, the understeer is very noticeable on the muddy grass when compared to the Thundershot in tight turns.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Superluminal said:

You wouldnt initially think understeer would be too much of an issue on a 2wd buggy!!

On the contrary, particularly on the Grasshopper/Hornet chassis there's loads of understeer, up until you hit the sweet spot with rear wheel speed to get it to kick around. On round 6 I was starting my Scandinavian Flick at the middle marker and coming into the far hairpin sideways in a 4-wheel slide, then just rotating the last 90ish degrees with the throttle and powering out.

@mud4fun I was thinking about this more and perhaps like the Hornet, your rear tires are just TOO grippy compared to the fronts? I know you're planning to get some new front tires, but maybe in the meantime put on a halfway knackered set of rears and see how you get on?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

On the contrary, particularly on the Grasshopper/Hornet chassis there's loads of understeer, up until you hit the sweet spot with rear wheel speed to get it to kick around.

@mud4fun I was thinking about this more and perhaps like the Hornet, your rear tires are just TOO grippy compared to the fronts? I know you're planning to get some new front tires, but maybe in the meantime put on a halfway knackered set of rears and see how you get on?

Great minds think alike!!! :D honestly, I was having those exact same thought earlier. With the Cougar running very grippy full spiked rear tyres AND being so new,  it could be that the rear geared diff is still quite tight (especially as it is an oil filled diff with what looks like syrup!) and consequently I'm getting similar understeer to that of an SRB with no rear diff?

However, I have actually placed an order with modelsport today for a whole range of front tyres to try and that should be here tomorrow or wednesday. I have ordered full pin spikes, mini pins (in two compoiunds), studded and stud/rib. I reckon one of those types should at least work better than the current fronts which are more designed for carpet/astro. The rib/stud combination tyres are very old skool - 1980's style, not really designed for Cougar, they are a CAT tyre however I have a suspicion they may work well.

I'll keep you posted. :)

I was out again at lunchtime and after work today doing more practise (the advantage with having the track on the back lawn) but still no improvement on the Cougar or Avante however the thundershot got one more lap so it is now 6 laps ahead........this is getting silly! (Lawn is a quagmire, thick gloopy mud on 50% of the track and wet grass on the other 50%).

The main problem is that the Cougar and Avante2001 are running so wide that they are actually riding up onto the hardwood sleeper that edges the lawn, which is slippery as badword at this time of year and promptly sliding off it down the 6" drop onto the gravel path (the main straight for our garden track). This means I lose a laps worth of time walking over to pick the damned things up to throw them back onto the lawn. Don't think I've managed a single 5 min attempt yet where they haven't done this at least once. So there is at least 1 or 2 laps or improvement to come just be getting the front tyres to bite at the very least.

• Like 2

David & Goliath fronted up to the start line today as the driver suddenly realized that Round 7 fits in the garden at home 😁. (After the grass was cut of course!!.)

A762FC05-B56B-4003-8612-105BFC17457A.jpg

I ran the Wild One on my Buggy Champ wheels first then tried it on its stock wheels. Funny thing is soon as I took off on the stock wheels the difference  was immediately noticeable, they just didn’t turn as tight as with the BC wheels on. 2 laps difference between the wheels. The stock wheels held a blast down the straight better, but were fairly useless around the many tight turns.

It must be one of the reasons why people prefer a FAV to a Wild One? 

A fun afternoon for an Off Road stage.

Looking forward to a tarmac or concrete session with the M08 Mini. Maybe (but unlikely) some bits for my M05 will turn up in time to run that to for a comparison.

D21816F0-6E3F-4A31-9F27-1B83157AE1E9.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, El Gecko said:

On the contrary, particularly on the Grasshopper/Hornet chassis there's loads of understeer, up until you hit the sweet spot with rear wheel speed to get it to kick around. On round 6 I was starting my Scandinavian Flick at the middle marker and coming into the far hairpin sideways in a 4-wheel slide, then just rotating the last 90ish degrees with the throttle and powering out.

I'll be trying something that I've wanted to do since I saw his Video 5 years ago.... 

I'm getting a Hornet, and fitting AmPro Engineering's Double Wishbone Front Suspension Kit to it. My experience in real Racing already knows that DWB beats a simple Swing Arm any day for cornering grip! 

I'll report my findings here, but I already feel positive about it. It will also add well needed WEIGHT to the Front of this Classic! 

Since rere's are so cheap and plentiful still, I have no qualms about hacking up a classic. 😉

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Carmine A said:

I'll be trying something that I've wanted to do since I saw his Video 5 years ago.... 

I'm getting a Hornet, and fitting AmPro Engineering's Double Wishbone Front Suspension Kit to it. My experience in real Racing already knows that DWB beats a simple Swing Arm any day for cornering grip! 

I'll report my findings here, but I already feel positive about it. It will also add well needed WEIGHT to the Front of this Classic! 

Since rere's are so cheap and plentiful still, I have no qualms about hacking up a classic. 😉

Now that I've got my vintage Hornet running again, it will be interesting to see how it fares against its "properly suspended" brother :D

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

Now that I've got my vintage Hornet running again, it will be interesting to see how it fares against its "properly suspended" brother :D

I'm looking forward to it myself!! It WON'T beat my RC10.... But it should at least STEER when I turn the Wheel!!! 

I remember my first Grasshopper, fitted a 540 Silver Can, and it WOULDN'T Steer on Throttle!!! Off Throttle, the Front End would collapse, and it would roll over!! 

I learned that the ONLY good upgrade for a Grasshopper was a 390 Motor. 😉  Brushless 390s work well too.

• Like 1

Just had a first bash at round 7 with the TT02. Feels like most of the lap is spent at full lock! A tidy line is even more crucial than normal for good consistent laps. Great fun as ever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ryback said:

Just had a first bash at round 7 with the TT02. Feels like most of the lap is spent at full lock! A tidy line is even more crucial than normal for good consistent laps. Great fun as ever.

We've been having great fun. It is my 2nd favourite track design after the round 2 design. That long diagonal straight is really making a huge difference to our lap times. We can all get pretty tight cornering but not all can get power down early enough or for long enough on that straight or apply power around the hairpins.  We now have 10 laps separating our slowest to fastest buggies? I think that is the biggest gap we've had for our buggies, only time we've seen equal or worse was when running crawlers and monster trucks too. I currently have the Cougar and Thundershot slogging it out for top spot, only 0.25 seconds a lap difference (average) and both have got fastest laps below 6 seconds. The Thundershot currently holds the fastest lap by 0.5 second but the Cougar is closing fast and the cougar has the most laps by one lap over the Thundershot. More setup changes to try on Cougar and Thundershot tomorrow :) This is close!

• Like 3

Nice warmer day today so we've been out running a good few of our cars on the lawn. So far on this round we've run these.

1088026371_round7_cars(1).thumb.jpg.93d0cee01533fa5a304fe2286486fc07.jpg

• Like 3

Had a couple of runs today. Tried out a TC01, which was disappointing so I didn’t even wire up the transponder. Too low and too stiff for the surface I think, not very pleasant to drive. 
Much more successful was my XV01 rally with Rush tyres on. Much more composed than last week’s effort with the TB05, and close to the lap count of the Optima. 

• Like 2