TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 45 takes us to Anderstorp!

@mud4fun yeah, I’ve seen a few shade someone put on Thingiverse. I certainly think it reflected off a silver car, so I can imagine frost confusing it. I agree on it balancing out in the end. Much like if you over cook it in to the hairpin. you get a mega quick lap, but the next one suffers as you recover.

I thought about trying a race today, but it really, really wasn’t worth it :D 

94FF95B5-D7E2-4D25-BA3B-AE53206DF6C3.jpg

626BA476-B996-4C68-82C6-554492F59E31.jpg

A bit of drifting practice, but any loss of momentum and XV01T just becomes a snow plough

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PS. For anybody that loves wings look away now.....

I am in the middle of painting up a new shell and wing for the cougar so had removed the old wing. Couldn't be bothered screwing it back on today so ran without it.....

got my highest lap count and fastest laps!

I think wings only work when flying through the air over high jumps, outside of that they are just giant drag brakes.....:D

4 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

@jupitertwo fab photos! love the snow, we still haven't had any <sob>

I’m in Milton Keynes at the moment, so it might be on the way? We had nothing at 10am, it all came down quickly. Had to get the kids outside to make the most of it

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

I’m in Milton Keynes at the moment, so it might be on the way? We had nothing at 10am, it all came down quickly. Had to get the kids outside to make the most of it

We're up in North Lincolnshire, a few miles south of Humber Bridge. We've been promised snow for weeks now but not got any decent laying snow yet. Had a few heavy snow showers but followed by rain that washed it away.

Currently very cold here, just 1 degree outside now at 1pm and it got to -5c last night.

Lawn was hilarious fun to drive this morning, first attempt was on raw frost so I was sliding and wheelspinning everywhere but by the 3rd attempt I had cut into the soil and started getting grip and got a massive lap count then a few attempts later I was back down to my daughters silver can lap counts as the ground had become wet and muddy again. I had literally a 20 minute window where the surface was like driving on dry tarmac. Either side of that was just comical. 

I have saved all the lapmonitor data, it makes for fun reading. First attempt had laps varying from 6-11 seconds!, my perfect attempt had laps varying by just 0.5 seconds and my final attempt was back to a 3 second variance. There were 9 laps difference between my best and worst attempts today using the exact same buggy setup. I ran it so much today that I actually got the ESC to not only go into reduced power mode but to cut out entirely on LiPo save mode - the first time ever! I must have been out there for an hour in freezing conditions. The poor old Android tablet kep locking up and taking forever to save a file.

• Like 1

@jupitertwo I've double checked all the lapmonitor data and discarded all the fastest laps where the subsequent lap was oddly higher. This means my actual fastest was sadly not in the 5 seconds, it was low 6 seconds. Makes more sense when looking at all the lap times. Still pretty good though, I'm very impressed by the Cougars ability to sustain quite alot of power in even the tightest turns without rolling and crashing into the flower bed!  :lol:

• Like 1

Where are you guys mounting your lapmonitors or phones on the round 7 track?

As much as I love this layout it does pose problems for where to mount the timing system. LapMonitor has to face outwards, away from rest of track or it will pickup the car on other parts of track but on a figure 8 design there is nowhere safe to place it other than just next to the markers which cause issues with the IR based system. LapMonitor really needs to be on a straight but on a figure 8 there is no area next to a straight that is clear of the racing line.

I’m counting my laps on my iPad placed instead of the right cone. I’ve had a few near misses but so far I’ve managed not to knock it around too much.😉

428A2B97-F2BD-42CA-A067-B3485C7ED264.jpeg

• Thanks 1

thanks @Ministrone not too different to mine then, I have actually fluffed a few laps by trying to avoid hitting the lapmonitor :lol:

@mud4fun I printed out the sun visor for the LapMonitor from Thingiverse

08C2D0A8-D60E-488E-B3C9-9CFF3114C605.jpg

It should help, though I’m tempted to try a much more shrouded version to make the field of vision narrower. 

I also mad a simple platform for the XV01s, I noticed they have antenna holes in the chassis in a handy place. 
366F8B8D-ADAC-4C48-B561-4F1AF7095B17.jpg

BCEC2A6B-344B-48FC-B71F-A6D474CC6E8F.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/24/2021 at 3:25 AM, mud4fun said:

Congrats, that is a cool looking buggy! :wub:

Thanks! It's a bit of a Mad Max job... a body from a Tootsietoy children's sandbox toy plonked on top of a stadium truck chassis :lol:

On 1/24/2021 at 3:25 AM, mud4fun said:

PS. What are your markers made from? They look like metal gazebo frame bases? We just use flat rubber markers now, a lot less troublesome when misjudging a turn :lol:

They're actually plastic wall mounting brackets for some old security cameras--round and shaped like cones, and they have screw holes so I can put a bicycle spoke through the base as an anchoring stake (on the grass at least--duct tape squares under the cones if I run on tarmac). They're easy to see (unfortunately also easy to hit) and the best part is that because they're camera mounts, each one can be a tripod for the phone/laptimer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ministrone said:

I’m counting my laps on my iPad placed instead of the right cone. I’ve had a few near misses but so far I’ve managed not to knock it around too much.😉

428A2B97-F2BD-42CA-A067-B3485C7ED264.jpeg

I was getting multiple readings with it pointing "north" as shown, so I turned it 90 degrees to the East (away from the WHOLE rest of the track) and had no problems after that.

• Like 1

I've been a bit quiet on here for this round, having spent most of my time since Christmas getting over the dreaded lurgy. However today I took my permitted exercise in the form of a short walk to my favoured running spot, where I got in a few runs with Bailey the Christmas Beetle.

2021-01-27_12-26-40

I don't see him being a podium contender, or even a top-half finisher, but it was great to see him running, and to confirm that I'd put him together properly with nothing working loose or falling off.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I've been a bit quiet on here for this round, having spent most of my time since Christmas getting over the dreaded lurgy. However today I took my permitted exercise in the form of a short walk to my favoured running spot, where I got in a few runs with Bailey the Christmas Beetle.

I don't see him being a podium contender, or even a top-half finisher, but it was great to see him running, and to confirm that I'd put him together properly with nothing working loose or falling off.

Glad to hear you have recovered.

Looks fantastic TurnipJF. 

Is that a Kamtec shell? I have one on my SRB but it doesn't look as good as yours. Did you paint the black window rubbers? (They look black in that picture but could be just reflection)

22 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Glad to hear you have recovered.

Looks fantastic TurnipJF. 

Is that a Kamtec shell? I have one on my SRB but it doesn't look as good as yours. Did you paint the black window rubbers? (They look black in that picture but could be just reflection)

Thanks! It is indeed the Kamtec shell, and since the shell is black, I did the window rubbers by simply leaving them unmasked and spraying them on the inside along with the rest of the shell, then masking the glass and shiny bits of the shell on the outside leaving just the rubbers exposed, and giving them a light dusting of the PS matt clear spray I have left over from doing the fabric roof on my MX-5 shells.

• Like 1

Ah @TurnipJF, was yours the ABS shell then? I didn't realise that came in black. Mine was the clear lexan.

After looking at yours I'm tempted to paint my window rubbers now, will have to do them from the outside but that may work out OK as the polycarb black paint will be matt'ish when painted on the outside. 

• Like 1

Ah @TurnipJF, was yours the ABS shell then? I didn't realise that came in black. Mine was the clear lexan.

After looking at yours I'm tempted to paint my window rubbers now, will have to do them from the outside but that may work out OK as the polycarb black paint will be matt'ish when painted on the outside. 

My apologies - my post was a bit ambiguous. The shell started off as a transparent lexan moulding like yours, which I painted with PS black.

2 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

My apologies - my post was a bit ambiguous. The shell started off as a transparent lexan moulding like yours, which I painted with PS black.

Hehe, I see. :)

Must just be the light in the photo, it makes the rubbers look like a different colour to the bodywork. Either way, it looks great. :wub:

• Like 1

Good weather today, and off duty, so again my daily exercise took me to my running spot. I was torn between running my TT-02 Type S (which I was confident would do well) or my WT-01 (which hasn't had a go yet). In the end I went with the WT-01, interested to see how it would compare with the Monster Beetle. (It was quicker.)

2021-01-21_01-17-42

I think I actually might make this my truck round - I'll see if I can get a run in with my DT-03T too. I know I'm highly unlikely to reach top spot overall, but I think I'm in with a chance of setting the fastest truck time. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

I know I'm highly unlikely to reach top spot overall, but I think I'm in with a chance of setting the fastest truck time. Fingers crossed!

Well considering you beat me with a grasshopper a couple of rounds back I dread to think by how much you'll be beat me by with the WT01. Just when I start achieving some consistency you raise the goalpost :D

PS. Think you need some new tyres, it looks like the spikes are worn flat on those tyres, you must have been doing some serious practise? :)

Guys, we'd like to try using my shorty HV LiPo in Middle Mudlets DT02 to see if we can squeeze an extra lap or two on round 7 track (over her 7.2v NiMh count) but the balance wire plug in the shorty prevents the battery lid from closing down onto the pin. The main power cables are fine as they sit either side of the lid/strap. Does the balance lead have to be plugged into the battery in use? The connector is only used for charging so I don't think it will cause issues but thought I'd check? Thx

22 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Well considering you beat me with a grasshopper a couple of rounds back I dread to think by how much you'll be beat me by with the WT01. Just when I start achieving some consistency you raise the goalpost :D

PS. Think you need some new tyres, it looks like the spikes are worn flat on those tyres, you must have been doing some serious practise? :)

The WT-01 only uses a 17 Turn brushed motor. If I am going to be raising any goal posts, I reckon it will be with the the 10.5 turn brushless DT-03T.

In their current state, I find that the tires actually work better on tarmac than fresh ones would. On fresh tyres and a hard surface, the truck rides on the tips of the pins with a very small contact patch. Once the pins wear down, more of the chevrons contact the tarmac resulting in more grip.

• Like 1

Guys, we'd like to try using my shorty HV LiPo in Middle Mudlets DT02 to see if we can squeeze an extra lap or two on round 7 track (over her 7.2v NiMh count) but the balance wire plug in the shorty prevents the battery lid from closing down onto the pin. The main power cables are fine as they sit either side of the lid/strap. Does the balance lead have to be plugged into the battery in use? The connector is only used for charging so I don't think it will cause issues but thought I'd check? Thx

Unless you are charging, or using it for an external lipo alarm, you don't need the balance lead. I run my shorty pack in my Formula 1 with the balance lead left safely in the box with my charger.

• Thanks 1

@TurnipJF we fitted the 7.6v shorty to the DT02 and OMG it was hysterical. Wheelies like mad even with just an old Reedy 19T spec (17t pinion).

We had stacks of lead weight added to front end too!!! (90g of lead roofing sheet wrapped around front bumper!!!!)

Middle Mudlet gained SIX LAPS from the change of pack from a 7.2v Overlander NiMh to the Absima 7.6v 120c Shorty LiPo.

I would also point out that the Schumacher Cougar using the same battery albeit with the much pokier Dyna Run is a very easy car to drive, it goes where you point it and largely drives itself. No skill required relatively speaking.. consistency is far easier to achieve. In comparison the DT02 was badword to control, had a mind of its own and required extreme concentration to wrestle through 5 mins!

Middle Mudlet crashed into the tyre pile, the fence and had to stop and reverse several times after overcooking the straight but still gained six laps. Had she achieved a perfect set of lines she would have gained another 3 or 4 laps more easily. The little buggy is transformed. Simply amazing and so much fun. 

Also the advantage of the shorty is that she can use foam spacers to position the battery at the back of the battery compartment or the front depending on track conditions etc. Quite a difference in weight distribution depending on its position.

I'm ordering her a new 7.6v shorty later! :)

• Like 1