TurnipJF

Racing by post - Round 45 takes us to Anderstorp!

A robustly-powered DT-02 certainly is loads of fun! I know when I started running Blue Birthday Buggy on a 2S LiPo and 13.5t brushless motor, it was quite transformative too!

2020-03-04_01-42-35

It sounds like Middle Mudlet's yellow one (does it have a name?) ought to give my BBB a run for his money. I look forward to finding out next round!

• Like 3

Thanks @TurnipJF, yes I believe the mudlets have names for all their cars but I keep forgetting what they are at the point I send through the results....  they keep telling me off for it, especially youngest :lol:

I will get the names and send you them later to update the results table. 

Middle Mudlet is still getting to grips with the DT02, quite a handful with the increased voltage and the 19T motor. She is suffering the same issue as I had when first running my Cougar -  too used to 4WD and thus finding a 2WD a bit of a challenge! I think she prefers her Egress at the moment, certainly while running on wet muddy lawn however she had a beaming smile yesterday when running the now rather zippy Sand Viper. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have been waiting for the weather to get better and it hasn't, pure ice out there to day but I'll give it a go. Dancing on ice

• Like 3

Managed to grab a few minutes to get a new run in. Earlier in the week I’d been able to make some progress on a Civic shell, so I retrieved my FF03 from storage, added a servo and gave her a spin. Quite literally on the hairpins! Not sure if it’s the cold weather or the characteristics of the fwd? Still, fun, and a comparable count to my other runs.

ED7B53F0-9066-4A75-A08D-152042212C45.jpg

also gave my extended lap monitor shroud a go, seems to help tighten the beam

5E91A06D-0D54-49E1-BDB9-2C7C8C1F040E.jpg

now need to remember to email the results in :D

• Like 6

4 hours ago, DayRider said:

I have been waiting for the weather to get better and it hasn't, pure ice out there to day but I'll give it a go. Dancing on ice

Same, we've had either snow or blistering cold here lately, and the NiMH batteries don't seem to like it. I only managed to record one result with one car on this track :lol: but oh well, it's winter!

• Like 2

@El Gecko yeah, not just NiMhs, we've had sluggish performance from all our kit. My Android tablet decided it would hang every time I tried to save the race results to file while it was being used outside in the freezing cold. My phone refuses to take more than 30 seconds of video or even a few pictures when it is sub zero outside and even the LiPos seemed to have erratic performance!

Even my 1:1 trucks have been playing up, the Navara has decided to throw an engine management error and is now unusable (stuck in limp mode) and even the trusty Land Rover struggled to start yesterday - battery probably nearly flat from endless short journeys during lockdown without having done a long enough journey to fully charge the battery.

@TurnipJF Youngest Mudlet tells me her name's are:

• Aqroshot is ShadowFire
  • Vanquish is ShadowFlyer

Apparently middle Mudlet has not named hers yet LOL

• Like 2

Keen to see the next layout and laptimes in the M Chassi class. If there are any by now.

I just finished my M05RA with a brushed setup, have some 1600mAh batteries comming tomorrow and I am fully dedicated to run this car for this postal challenge. A bite tamed from the brushless setups so far, will be easier  to train a little bit with a less powerfull car.

Hopefully batteries will last 5minutes :D have no expirience with those small sized batteries. 
0dJic20.jpg

vUIsEwv.jpg

we had all rain weather here last three weeks and now we have some sunny days coming.

• Like 3

Hello racers!
I've been absent from this thread for the whole duration of this round due to lack of time and especially of a playground, I didn't get to read it to at least enjoy vicariously through you, but today everything fell into place for an attempt, right on time before the end of Round 7! So here's my race report, after which I have 4 pages worth of yours to read yay :D

There were only snowy surfaces available but at least with no salt, which at the end is all that's needed. I wasn't going to be competitive due to snow and lack of practice, so I thought I'd run a few different cars rather than concentrate my few battery packs on just one.

I've resumed the old cones for this one, snow on ice, a "cosy" minus 23 °C, sunny clear blue sky and here we go.
I had three battery packs charged left so I ran three cars, one of which is a new entry. The Terra Scorcher just had her maiden run this morning, but I was positively impressed and felt so comfortable driving it that I decided to race her right away.

First round was with the Big Boss, my good old reliable plowhorse, to get the hang of the track and mostly to open it up by compacting the snow for the buggies. Good fun, but the battery died towards the end of the race leaving me with the car to restart and run slowly until end of minute 5 to gather maybe one more lap. I need to be more on top of my batteries, it's the second time this happens.

It was then the turn of the Manta Ray. With all the extra power the track got suddenly technical and unforgiving, lol. Turns got wider, cones were obliterated, frisky powerslides and so on. I would have liked to have a few more packs to run, as by the end of the battery I was getting reasonably better lines, but it wasn't the case, hopefully next time.

The Terra Scorcher ran afterwards with the last pack and, much to my surprise, won over the Manta Ray by four laps! Wow... On one hand, the Manta Ray's battery was not fully charged while the TS one was, and I had basically zero experience with the track when I ran it while I had a better idea on what to expect after, with the TS. On the other hand, I only had some 10 minutes of Terra Scorcher driving under my belt when I ran the postal, whereas I'm familiar with the Manta's handling almost down to the faintest little twitch.

The Terra Scorcher is indeed a nicely balanced machine, my first impression is that it handles nicely and predictably ---in a good way- and even at high speeds it feels like it's under control. My heavily hopped up Manta Ray is by now quite different in handling from the stock version; while surely very agile and adaptable, it's definitely less intuitive than the Terra Scorcher, and it looks like this will show on short, twisted tracks like the postal racing ones. I'm going to have a blast comparing their performance every time from now on! That's cool, as up until now all my cars were all way too different from each other for a proper comparison.

This was a grand day out, I love the postal racing and can't wait to be able to do it more often 👍

Anyway, happy to be part of the gang again and that I've been able to rejoin the comradery and send out some results, will now get up to date on the backlog.

-Driver looking quite tense before the start-:lol:20210131-200420.jpg

20210131-200351.jpg

20210131-154416.jpg

20210131-200258.jpg

20210131-200120.jpg

• Like 11

Thanks for your entries everyone! I'll get the results posted up this evening after work. 

• Like 5

Awesome photos @Ferruz and wow, I thought it was cold doing our last postal racing attempt at -1.5c, how do you keep your fingers warm on the Tx? My fingers were freezing.

Glad you are enjoying the Terra Scorcher. I've been banging on about how good the Thundershot chassis is for 30 years, far too often overlooked in favour of other more race orientated buggies (Vanquish/Egress/Manta Ray/Top Force etc) but it is a capable little buggy.

At one point 20 years ago I owned about 50 of the first 100 Tamiya's. I sold nearly all of them, only keeping just 4 different chassis types, one of those being the Thundershots (of which I have loads). That must surely tell you something about how much fun and how versatile it is.:)

• Like 1

@Ferruz & @mud4fun AHA. I was wondering if it was the batteries playing up, now I'm pretty certain it is. I'll be honest, this is my first time actually running RCs through the winter so it's been quite the learning experience.

Also Ferruz I'm loving the color combo on your TS, looks like a proper race car!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ferruz said:

Big Boss, my good old reliable plowhorse

Hi, those can't be original tyres so what are you using please ? I have my 33 year old big brute but it's tireless as you can imagine 

• Like 1

Laps: Participant: Chassis: Motor: Battery: Surface: Weight: Best lap:
47 ryback TT-02 Type S Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac    
47 JupiterTwo Kyosho Optima ReRe Kyosho Le Mans 490 2S LiPo Tarmac (wet)   5.98s
46 Mud4fun Schumacher Cougar 13t Dyna Run Super Touring HV 2S LiPo Grass (frosty!) 1440g 5.68s *
44 JupiterTwo XV-01 17.5t brushless 2S LiPo Tarmac   6.20s
44 JupiterTwo FF-03 Silver can 2S LiPo Tarmac   6.21s
43 Mud4fun Thundershot "Stig Eater" 13t Dyna Run Super Touring 2S LiPo Grass (wet) 1454g 5..71s *
43 JupiterTwo TB-05 15.5t brushless 2S LiPo Tarmac (wet)   6.54s
42 Mud4fun Avante 2001 "Purple Pig" 13t Dyna Run Super Touring 2S LiPo Grass (wet) 1544g 5.93s *
42 TurnipJF DT-03T "Aggroshot" 10.5t Speed Passion 2S LiPo Tarmac (damp)   7.87s
41 Middle Mudlet Egress 13t Dyna Run Super Touring 2S LiPo Grass (wet) 1576g 6.26s *
41 Ministrone M-01 (210mm) Silver can 2S LiPo Tarmac (damp)   6.33s
40 Re-Bugged TA-02SW Sport Tuned 2S LiPo Tarmac    
39 Middle Mudlet DT-02 Sand Viper Reedy 19t Spec 2S HV LiPo Grass (wet) 1422g  
38 Re-Bugged M-08 (210mm) Sport Tuned 2S LiPo Tarmac    
38 Youngest Mudlet Vanquish "ShadowFlyer" Sport Tuned 7.2V NiMH Grass (wet) 1576g  
38 TurnipJF WT-01 "Daisytruck" 17t brushed 2S LiPo Tarmac (damp)    
37 Ministrone Frog Sport Tuned 2S LiPo Tarmac (damp)   6.75s
37 JupiterTwo XV-01T Silver can 2S LiPo Tarmac (wet)   7.71s
35 Re-Bugged Javelin 13.5t brushless 2S LiPo Grass    
35 Re-Bugged Wild One 13.5t brushless 2S LiPo Tarmac    
34 Middle Mudlet DT-02 Sand Viper Reedy 19t Spec 7.2V NiMH Grass (wet) 1544g  
34 TButton M-03 (210mm) Silver can 7.2V NiMH Tarmac (damp)    
33 Youngest Mudlet DT-03T Aqroshot "ShadowFire" Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Grass (wet) 1940g  
32 TurnipJF Monster Beetle "Bailey" 27t brushed 2S LiPo Tarmac (damp)    
32 Re-Bugged Wild One 13.5t brushless 2S LiPo Grass    
32 Re-Bugged M-05 (239mm) Silver can 2S LiPo Tarmac    
31 Ministrone CC-01 Unimog 55t brushed 7.2V NiMH Tarmac (damp)   11.72s
30 Re-Bugged Blackfoot 17.5t brushless 2S LiPo Grass    
30 Ferruz Terra Scorcher 13.5t bluebottle 7.2V NiMH Snow & ice    
29 El Gecko Traxxas Hawk "Blackhawk" Slot Machine 7.2V NiMH Grass 1800g 8.80s
27 DayRider M-07 10.5t brushless 7.2V NiMH Tarmac (icy!)    
26 Ferruz DF-01 Manta Ray Kyosho Le Mans stock 7.2V NiMH Snow & ice    
23 DayRider M-06 Torque Tuned 7.2V NiMH Tarmac (icy!)    
21 Ferruz Kyosho Big Boss Kyosho Le Mans 490 7.2V NiMH Snow & ice    

Congratulations to our joint winners @ryback and @jupitertwo, and a hearty well done to everyone who managed to get an entry in under the current global conditions!

(* Mud4fun advises that Team Mud's fastest laps may not be accurate due to their lap timer triggering early.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

nice results. It is very promising to me seeing a M01 high up in the charts, seems FWD could take a little advantage over RWD hope fully its because of snow :D 

should have body mounts for the M05RA by the end of the week, could be ready and with lots of time for training.

• Like 3

Well done everybody, especially @ryback and @jupitertwo :)

And special thanks to @TurnipJF for result keeping and to @El Geckofor his great track design that fitted nicely on our lawn although we no longer have much of a lawn left........

I'm pretty chuffed with 3rd place although to be honest, after 2000+ laps around this track I should have improved!! :lol:

edit: The mudlets are also very pleased with their results.

edit2: yeah, I have now got a solution to the lapmonitor but the fastest laps on round 7 was about 0.3 seconds slower than shown because it triggered when coming round the bend that the lapmonitor was sat on.  Didn't affect lap count as the subsequent laps were longer by the same amount.

• Like 4

Wow! I’m really pleased the way my old M01 mini performed. Almost as quick as an Egress*
My first runs were with the Frog but it was too stable on tarmac. The mini was a much easier to drive the tight course and set consistent lap times. I should use it more often. 👍🏻

*egress on wet grass

• Like 4

CONGRATS to everyone!! Well done all. 👏👏👏👏👏👏🍻🍻🍻🍻 

I had forgotten about the deadline date... I'm now well enough that my Wife is finally letting me out of the house. 😜  I could have actually gotten a run in - albeit with no practice. 

It's OK! Next time, my TT-02 will be ready.... I'll have my FF-03 Pro dialed in and ready, and time permitting, I'll have a M07 Pro ready!! 😉

• Like 4

Speaking of Minis and considering how well @jupitertwo's FF03 did I'm regretting selling my old FF01, it was fitted with buggy tyres and a hacked up shell so it could rally around our garden and as you can see from the photos, some of our garden is exposed and rough hardcore so touring car ground clearance just wouldn't work but this thing was great fun around the garden, went most places the buggies went. 

Would have been ideal for these postal racing tracks on the lawn during lockdown! 

1567687189_ff01(14).JPG.06f4da11fe37f3b060862c0fbabdaaef.JPG 1705020630_ff01(15).JPG.be205b4b64e97bed0b5f9dae63affca3.JPG

1673016109_ff01(18)a.jpg.b9fc12e539583d4d38ef1abe7a8e6525.jpg

• Like 2

@jupitertwo looking at the results table it transported me back to the late 80's - Kyosho and Schumacher at the top of the buggies :lol:

Great round everyone, that’s a good turn out! 
Close battles too, these small tracks are a great leveller. @mud4fun I think your 3rd place, a few seconds off the win, on grass! When we get let out of our houses your Cougar is going to be a weapon on that rec ground car park!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

@jupitertwo looking at the results table it transported me back to the late 80's - Kyosho and Schumacher at the top of the buggies :lol:

Quite, I’m even running the chain drive too :D Thundershot‘s not too far behind either, comparable best lap time.

I need to get some grass runs in, seems unnatural to run the Optima on asphalt. Plaudits as well to you for getting that Cougar to rotate so much.  I tried a Super Astute rere, but I just couldn’t get it turning very well. The Optima revels in the lower grip conditions though.  I expect if I give this circuit a go on grass, I’ll be grip rolling most of the time. 

• Like 1

@jupitertwo to be honest, the Thundershot was actually outright quicker BUT it needs 100% concentration and alot of effort to wrestle it around the tight track for 5 minutes. I can manage about 3 mins which is an admittedly an improvement BUT my consistency with it is still poor, too many silly mistakes, running too wide etc which screwed whole laps. 

In comparison the Cougar just went where you pointed it, required very little effort to drive and even if you got the wrong line into a turn it could turn tighter under power to compensate than the thundershot which meant it could virtually fluff every entry and still beat the Thundershot unless you got a near 100% set of laps with the t'shot (possibly doable for you or Turnip but not me LOL).

31 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

Quite, I’m even running the chain drive too :D Thundershot‘s not too far behind either, comparable best lap time.

I need to get some grass runs in, seems unnatural to run the Optima on asphalt. Plaudits as well to you for getting that Cougar to rotate so much.  I tried a Super Astute rere, but I just couldn’t get it turning very well. The Optima revels in the lower grip conditions though.  I expect if I give this circuit a go on grass, I’ll be grip rolling most of the time. 

Yeah, do remember though that I spent tens of hours playing with setup AND I spent a fortune on loads of different tyres and compounds to try. I am not exaggerating when I say I did 2000 laps, in fact it was nearer 3000 lap across all the cars I drove on round 7. The Cougar alone did approx 40 attempts. I dare say you probably did a darned sight less and still beat me! 

In the end I found a setup on the Cougar that worked so well it gained me huge increase in lap times - the green compound mini spikes made the biggest difference (we also used them on the front of my thundershot, the Egress and the Sand Viper), then the 6 degrees of negative camber on the front and 5 degrees on the rear. I ran with less front toe in than recommended and I also laid the front shocks down and changed the shock oils to 550cst rear/350cst front and I moved the battery to the mid position instead of the kits rearward stock location. I was also using a 7.6v HV Shorty too,

The 46 laps was achieved WITHOUT the rear wing because that had been removed while I was painting up the new colour scheme so clearly wings are irrelevant for postal racing :lol: (Curiously I think the Thundershots best count was also without its wing, after a screw worked loose on the mount and I lost it in the grass, so ran the next attempt without the wing)

• Like 1

...... I tried it, for a hoot. 😉

My TT-02S SM RRRR only managed 7:44 laps. 😖 I'm out of practice!!! It's amazing how much you weeks can take out of you.

• Like 1