Ray McCaleb

Vibration Unit Problem - RESOLVED

I have had issues with the vibration unit on my recently completed Grand Hauler...the same issue MANY have reported previously, TOO MUCH VIBRATION! I had considered installing an in-line electronic switch so that I could choose when to have it running and when not, however, even if I get it working, it is either off, or on and producing too much vibration. Many have chosen to unplug it altogether and do without. I chose a third option...fix the problem. I reasoned that the vibration is the result of the eccentric mass of the weight revolving around the motor shaft and producing said vibration...too much vibration. The problem is not too high an RPM, but too much mass. 

SOLUTION: I changed out the larger (American) weight for the smaller diameter (European) weight. A couple gains in doing so...two grub screws to secure it, and a smaller diameter puts the mass closer to the rotation center, the motor shaft. BUT...still too much vibration. So, I drilled (5) 3/16” holes in the weight (PHOTO) to remove mass. In my hand with it running, it felt better, so, I installed it. PERFECT! I’ll leave it on all the time as now the vibration, with the pot (MFC-01 potentiometer #2) trimmed to minimum, is about 1/3 to 1/2 what it was before...just what I wanted.

NOTE: The mod is simple enough but did require that I use my drill press and drilling vise. If holding and drilling by hand, be careful, it can easily catch fingers. Also, remember to thread lock the grub screws and you may want to silicon seal the metal bracket to the plastic box as it can rattle.

Hope this helps others,

Ray

0DFFCB64-6EC7-454C-A909-3B3CF5688BBD.jpeg

CFC4E572-08A3-44E0-814A-967B18754100.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanx for all that info. i will be double checking on the weight i chose and then do as you have done.

I assumed the counter balance vibration just came on at start up. Once again taking such sweet time to build has paid off again.

Let's see here, restore 1:1 Rig or build Tamiya's 1:14 rig? same amount of time, same amount of money:lol:

Tamiya's rig at least fits in the house:o

1 hour ago, ACCEL said:

Thanx for all that info. i will be double checking on the weight i chose and then do as you have done.

I assumed the counter balance vibration just came on at start up. Once again taking such sweet time to build has paid off again.

Let's see here, restore 1:1 Rig or build Tamiya's 1:14 rig? same amount of time, same amount of money:lol:

Tamiya's rig at least fits in the house:o

Yes, the vibration motor plugs directly into the MFC-01 on my Grand Hauler and powers up when the MFC is switched ON. As I mentioned, I looked into an electronic switch so I could turn it off unless showing it. I decided against that option as I prefer the vibration, but much milder than stock. I figured that if I did not like the outcome I could go back to the original...but, I loved it with the mod. NOTE... I run mine with pot #2 trimmed all the way to minimum and it is just what I wanted.     (Ray)

• Like 1

Thanks so much for sharing, i keep thinking of all i've learned in the time right before and after i had purchased the Grand Hauler and to think it's not letting up.

it has been for sure involved but challenging then most of what i have built to date.

11 minutes ago, ACCEL said:

Thanks so much for sharing, i keep thinking of all i've learned in the time right before and after i had purchased the Grand Hauler and to think it's not letting up.

it has been for sure involved but challenging then most of what i have built to date.

Agree...I am planning and will begin (slowly) acquiring the components for my second build the fall/winter. First, got to let the budget heal! 😀

• Haha 1

so many darn choices now, i do want to build a Tank someday, but the one i like is out of stock (a blessing in disguise)? 

what are you considering for the other build?

10 hours ago, ACCEL said:

so many darn choices now, i do want to build a Tank someday, but the one i like is out of stock (a blessing in disguise)? 

what are you considering for the other build?

I will be doing a dump truck. It will be based on a King Hauler chassis, 80 turn motor, RCP dump bed, and BEIER SFR1 sound/light unit. The BEIER unit is currently in transit from Germany to US. I will be spending time with it on the bench...learning how it all works...and settling on the myriad of sounds I want with this truck. I also anticipate doing LOTS of customizations, some myself (such as the day cab conversion, some bolt-on, such as the LESU knobby tires). Now that I have the Grand Hauler and flat bed completed I have one I can run while I take my time with the next build.     (Ray)

• Like 1

i have some Tonka's since i was a kid and would like to convert to RC, a dump truck, the cement mixer will be fun to see the mixer turn on from the TX, the front loader would take some doing, and the Crane Truck (with the missing crane, bummer) but i could erect one since i've built them for my train sets it would just be bigger. 

well you be sure to post your build here, it will be amazing to see the progress. I dig this place.

(Eric)