Juhunio

Does tyre glue make rims 'single use'?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but..

I just gave my TT02 911 RSR a first outdoor run and it lasted about 13 seconds before 3 tyres flew off and rolled to different corners of the car park! Thankfully no damage done other than to the already low pride levels of a grown man playing with toys alone in a public car park 

So it seems I do need to glue them after all. But my question is if I glue the tyres on, will I be able to get them off when they're worn without ruining the rims? I kinda want the rims to last a good while as they're not cheap, so is there a tyre glue that will hold the tyres on but I'll still be able to take them off when needed without knackering the rims?

• Haha 3

I don’t glue my tires, but I’ve read you can use silicon caulking and get the same results as gluing w/ the advantage of being able to peel it off later. Not sure...

• Like 2

I've had good luck with acetone being able to remove glued-on tires from their rims. One word of caution: the acetone will melt ABS wheels, which are used for some low-cost wheels. 

• Like 1

Only ever used clear or black silicone sealant, never glue.

I've found the silicone sealant does the job and is easy to remove when needed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I too have used acetone to remove superglue to remove glued on tyres. Rims have been fine  - although these were schumacher rims - which I think are nylon - and had no ill effects. I *think* I've used it on tamiya rims too but not 100%. If I did, they came out ok otherwise I would have remembered...🤪😤

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I too use silicone . I have cut tyres from ABS rims in the past and sanded / filed off the old rubber and was able to re-use the rims

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies everyone, really appreciate your time

I have some Associated Tyre Glue (never used it, as made obvious by today’s brief disaster!!) and really don’t want to mess up these rims 😕

Sounds like clear silicone sealant is the way to go, looks like Gorilla make a handy tube-sized product

How are you applying it? To the rim or the tyre?

2CBE014E-747C-466E-80CA-5D69E478A4D2.jpeg

0C95EDC1-9C7F-450D-8E20-4CD52AD161C8.jpeg

I thought that if you put wheel and tyre into boiling water the tyre comes away cleanly????

It's also worth fitting foam inside the tyre as the rim edge will get chipped over time..

Or keep the nice rims for the shelf and get a cheap set to run with.

• Like 1

Glued rims and tyres can be baked in the oven for 20 minutes at 160deg ( with your other half out of the house. My god it stinks) to soften the glue. Tyres come off easily and cleanly, just use oven gloves or a towel to handle them. 

Did my whole collection recently to finally get matched sets of preferred tyres on the same rims. 

• Like 1

I tried the oven trick on some preglued wheels/tires from HPI. It stank and my wife was mad. And the glue did not come loose.

Terry

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

keep the nice rims for the shelf and get a cheap set to run with.

^^^This

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frog Jumper said:

It stank and my wife was mad.

I'm sorry, but that statement gave me quite a laugh. Such is married life! lol

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

I tried the oven trick on some preglued wheels/tires from HPI. It stank and my wife was mad. And the glue did not come loose.

Terry

That’s why you do it while they’re at work. 

Never done it with pre-glued tyres, but definitely works with CA tyre glue. First attempt got concerned by the smell and didn’t leave them in long enough, put them back in and left for full 20 minutes and they came off cleanly leavings rims and foams ready to use again. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, bikerclubby said:

That’s why you do it while they’re at work

Oh I know...  but our schedule doesn’t give me time to do RC stuff when she’s at work.

lol. She yelled something like “What the **** are you thinking???  I have to cook in that thing!”

It wasn’t as bad as when I stained our nice spaghetti pot dying some wheels, though...

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Bash said:

Here is a video on how to glue tires: 

Thanks for sharing that, it all makes sense and I can see how it would work with a thin glue, but would this method work with thicker silicone sealant? I'm picturing more sealant on the outside of my tyres than on the inside :lol:

14 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

It's also worth fitting foam inside the tyre as the rim edge will get chipped over time..

Or keep the nice rims for the shelf and get a cheap set to run with.

Yeah, the latter point is looking likely. The Porsche shells demands wider rear rims though, so everything about it is less 'throwaway' than standard 24/26mm wheels 

13 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

This sounds like how I imagine it would go for me too; lots of mess, one angry lady, zero results!

• Haha 1

When you guys talk about silicon, do you mean the same you use in bathrooms to seal around where water should not go in?

6 hours ago, Juhunio said:

would this method work with thicker silicone sealant? I'm picturing more sealant on the outside of my tyres than on the inside

You have to put the tyre on the rim , but behind the bead front and back . The silicone is applied to the rim groove , spots will do , or a thin continuous bead if you cut a small enough hole in the gun nozzle . You then hop the tyre onto the the bead by pinching the tyre tread and hopping it over the rim bead allround . Some silicone will ooze out , but once the tyre is fully mounted both sides then you can wipe away the excess with your finger tip onto a dry cloth , keep wiping until most is gone the use a dry rag to clean the remainder . You might need some sticky stuff remover or wipe cloths for oils etc. to remove final excess whilst not set  . The secret to removing the ooze cleanly is to remove with dry finger onto dry cloth and work fast  . The technique and speed improves with practice .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

has anyone use Ultra Grey/ Black gasket maker?

i've always used CA tire glue, mind you every time i do it it gets easier:o, never knew about using silicone.

I suppose it keeps the wheel manufacture in business.

i've read horror stories about the bake off method.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:08 AM, KEV THE REV said:

The technique and speed improves with practice .

no, not for me:(

I like to swap out my wheels and tires. It’s fun.

So I use other tricks to help keep my tires on:  foam inserts and rubber bands in the wheel rims.  Knock on wood, I haven’t had any tires come off yet...

Terry