wintersdawn

Best all round Tamiya - onroad & offroad?

Not meaning one for on-road and another for off-road but a single car/buggy/truggy that does both well?

My collection so far (that probably don't fit the above category): Rising Fighter, Sand Viper and Monster Beetle

Any suggestions appreciated.  Cheers.

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Probably ought to get yourself a rally chassis, then.  XV01 it is!

Thanks but the round clearance of the XV01 looks very low to the ground, more suited for smooth/even racing surfaces.

how about G601 king yellow/kong head I have been using mine just now going up a dirt ramp and over small rocks and driving it in and out of a dirt pit and going up the edge of slabs and block pavers on one side, the bumper on the front is a bit clumsy but it handles well on road too and is fairly nippy considering it 6 wheel drive  or a clod buster as they will go over the roughest terrain but they are big and heavy and a bit slow.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Doc Hollywood said:

how about G601 king yellow/kong head I have been using mine just now going up a dirt ramp and over small rocks and driving it in and out of a dirt pit and going up the edge of slabs and block pavers on one side, the bumper on the front is a bit clumsy but it handles well on road too and is fairly nippy considering it 6 wheel drive  or a clod buster as they will go over the roughest terrain but they are big and heavy and a bit slow.

Thanks, they seem to be at the other end of the scale, great for rough terrain but not so good/fast for flat/even surfaces, gotta be something in-between?

Egress, Top Force or the TT02B chassis buggies like Plasma Edge II? Can be setup to run low, high geared and on road tyres for fast tarmac performance or taller off road tyres and raised ride height for off road. However when you say off road do you mean just grass, smooth'ish dirt and gravel etc (which is fine for these buggies). If you mean serious rough stuff then probably better with a Hotshot/Boomerang/Bigwig/Thundershot type which have better ground clearance and suspension travel.

• Like 1

Any buggy will do OK on road with the right tires. Or even with the wrong tires, if you're willing to wear down the knobs. Stick to wide-ish and low-ish, and you'll be surprised at how well it will handle a variety of surfaces.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Egress, Top Force or the TT02B chassis buggies like Plasma Edge II? Can be setup to run low, high geared and on road tyres for fast tarmac performance or taller off road tyres and raised ride height for off road. However when you say off road do you mean just grass, smooth'ish dirt and gravel etc (which is fine for these buggies). If you mean serious rough stuff then probably better with a Hotshot/Boomerang/Bigwig/Thundershot type which have better ground clearance and suspension travel.

My bad, I should have been more specific as off-road can mean lots of different terrain.  I am thinking more rough terrain, needing better ground clearance and stability, but maybe not monster truck sized wheels but maybe hummer or blitzer beetle?

1 minute ago, Jontea said:

DT02. Close topic.

My Sand Viper is DT02 (haven't been able to run properly yet)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Any buggy will do OK on road with the right tires. Or even with the wrong tires, if you're willing to wear down the knobs. Stick to wide-ish and low-ish, and you'll be surprised at how well it will handle a variety of surfaces.

Thanks, once I receive the ESC maybe my Sand Viper will do pretty good as the ground clearance is not too low & may handle pretty rough off-road too.

33 minutes ago, wintersdawn said:

My Sand Viper is DT02 (haven't been able to run properly yet)

Love mine. Have 2, both Sand Vipers, also got a DF03 (Dark Impact) and a DN01 (Zahhak), but the Vipers are my favourites. Can handle quite a bit of power (bombproof gearbox) and with decent shocks and a good servo handle nicely.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, wintersdawn said:

My bad, I should have been more specific as off-road can mean lots of different terrain.  I am thinking more rough terrain, needing better ground clearance and stability, but maybe not monster truck sized wheels but maybe hummer or blitzer beetle?

Yeah, now don't laugh but I'd say a Mad Bull in that case. It is rugged and can take alot of abuse on rough ground and can be made to go quick on tarmac too. It is wide and stable if you fit decent shocks. OK, not a race car but a heck of a lot of fun. Also runs great on the beach in soft sand too which not many buggies will.

• Like 2

My personal experience over the past 8 months of getting back into the hobby is that you can drastically change the way your chosen model copes by length of shock, size of tire, how you set up the diff(s), turn / kv of your motor & battery type.

A little bit of experimentation / searching this forum for help and you can make something do what it wasn’t intended to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mud4fun said:

Yeah, now don't laugh but I'd say a Mad Bull in that case. It is rugged and can take alot of abuse on rough ground and can be made to go quick on tarmac too. It is wide and stable if you fit decent shocks. OK, not a race car but a heck of a lot of fun. Also runs great on the beach in soft sand too which not many buggies will.

Not laughing, have thought about the Mad Bull as it seems rugged and maybe can probably survive most terrains.

• Like 2

Put some proline Road Hawgs on you MB...  even with the 10t pinion it will be fast enough for street driving...

• Like 1

The thing about trying to find the best all-rounder is that it will never be as good at any one thing as a car designed specifically for that activity. So rather than trying to find something that is good-ish at everything, you might find that you get more enjoyment out of considering the different sets of conditions under which you want to be driving, and then acquiring the vehicles that would be best for each of those sets of conditions. Sure, it means having a bigger fleet, but it also means that you'll be more likely to have something that is ideally suited to whatever it is that you want to do, rather than something that will simply be adequate.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, •Axle said:

What’s the setup Deadmeat?

Where do I begin lol.

In summary:

Ball bearings all around, Yeah Racing aluminium knuckles and hubs front and back, GPM spring steel CVDs, Tamiya aluminum driveshaft and cups, GPM steel diff gears all around, steel 16t pinion, full turnbuckles, eagle racing reservoir shocks, big wheels, clamp style hexes, aluminum shock towers (YR I think), modified bolt-through Yeah Racing aluminum steering set, high torque servo saver, PowerHD 23kg servo, Zee 5200mAh LiPo battery, and a 13.5t sensored brushless setup from SkyRC.

That's the relevant stuff at least.

Hi my name is DeadMeat and I'm an upgrade-aholic :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2