Sign in to follow this  
Gazzalene

Rod Ends. Help with bend angle.

Need some bent rod ends. Its hard to measure the exact size I need BUT looking at the pictures of the 2 rod ends below,these look about right.

The only thing is ,one is 18 deg and the other 160 deb BUT  both look about the same. Just wondered how these things are measured? are these 2 the same but worked out in different methods?

Doing a rough drawing of the link and rod end, the internal bend if I recall would be around 112 deg, in the 160 deg ball park, nearer than a straight rod end would be at any rate.

https://rcbitz.com/chassis-component-parts/chassis-components-parts/bent-m3-m4-plastic-rod-ends-z-s1994-rc4wd-20x-m3-m4-25-9mm-160degrees/

https://rcbitz.com/chassis-component-parts/suspension-shocks-springs-etc/m3-bent-plastic-rod-ends-10-injection-black-rod-end-axial-width-balls-ssd00023/

They are quoting different angle zones, there’s only 2 degree difference between them.  The 18deg would be 162degrees, the 160 would be a 20degree. (If the 160 was the same zone as the 18 it’d be bent back on itself)  I’d question your 112deg.. that’s a little close to being a right angle, which ever zone you’re stating.. can you share your drawing?

2 hours ago, Lee76 said:

They are quoting different angle zones, there’s only 2 degree difference between them.  The 18deg would be 162degrees, the 160 would be a 20degree. (If the 160 was the same zone as the 18 it’d be bent back on itself)  I’d question your 112deg.. that’s a little close to being a right angle, which ever zone you’re stating.. can you share your drawing?

I have probably measured the wrong place of the bend,never good at geometry. its a MT  trailing arm,will post asap.

No, you could well be right..these things are design specific, I just don't’ expect to see rod ends with that kind of bend, it’s not a normal load path for a rod. But having built a sand scorcher with its crazy bend steering link rod I know RC car designers aren’t always on the same page a physics or reason :)

Here is the trailing arm with moulded rod end. My "limited" geometry gave a angle of 112 deg. What do you think?

I am replacing this with metal arms,the supplied straight rod ends are not a great fit, I think the 160 deg rod ends would give a better fit.

DSCN1207.JPG

Gotcha.. You’re measuring the fastener axis (green highlight) the two options you showed give the blue and purple ones. I slapped on some rough measures using a tool in sketcher, though the camera perspective/rotation of the part makes this a little innacurate.

So the one that states 18 degrees (equivalent to the blue dim) Would give you 108deg and the 160degree one (equivalent to the purple dim) would give you 110degrees so yes, I agree if you measured the 112 on the fastener axis the 160 should be closer.

92CDA120-3018-44CE-AB37-823D6AC48FDA.jpeg